A comprehensive tech review of all every console to receive a Wo Long release. The PS5 and Xbox Series X versions get the premium treatment here: running at up to 1440p at 60 frames per second with boosted visuals. The same however cannot be said of the Series S, which targets 60fps but with glaring cutbacks to its visuals - often putting its textures and effects in line with a last-gen experience.
Summary, as our defacto DF summarizer AdamsApple is indisposed:
Edit: Lysandros highlighted a couple of issues I had missed earlier. The Xbox consoles (Series X, Series S, Xbox One, Xbox One X) all have lots of visual issues, such as:
- Released on 7 consoles.
- A total of 11 modes.
- PS5 and Series X offer Performance (60 FPS) and Resolution Mode (60 FPS).
- Performance mode locks to 60 FPS better than Resolution Mode.
- Visual settings are the same across both modes, but the resolutions are different.
- Performance Mode: 2240x1260 on both PS5 and Series X. DRS might be there, but rarely noticeable or kicks in below 1260p.
- Resolution Mode: Native 1440p on both consoles.
- PS5 and Series X have no visual differences.
- Series S is different.
- Resolution Mode runs at 900p at 30 FPS with uneven frame pacing.
- Performance Mode runs at 900p at 60 FPS with a relatively more aggressive DRS.
- Textures, shadows, cloth physics, textures, fire effects, draw distances, particle effects are all downgraded on the Series S -- which is similar to the last-gen experience.
- PS5 Resolution Mode - 1440p at 60 FPS. Generally hits 60, but battles can push it down to 50 FPS, and sometimes even slightly below that. Cutscenes locked at 30.
- Series X Resolution Mode -- 1440p at 60 FPS. Similar situation. There was one sequence (staring into fire), when Series X was at 54 FPS while PS5 was 53 FPS (lol), but that's the only difference DF could find in terms of performance.
- XSX Performance Mode - Much better. Drops to 58-59. Battles drop to 55 FPS sometimes. Most extreme case dropped to 50 FPS.
- PS5 Performance Mode - DF didn't share or show much details, but said it's similar to Series X.
- Series S Resolutino Mode - Pretty stable at 30 FPS with minor drops. 60 FPS is preferrable because it's relatively stable.
- Summary: Not a polished game. Visual bugs, drops, and last-gen type game running at 60 FPS.
- flickering shadows,
- multiple seconds screen/frame freeze on Series X that took a few seconds to resolve,
- often missing shadow maps,
- and missing ambient occlusion.