• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#FE | Genei Ibunroku #FE Import OT: Fire Emblem’s spinoff Performa ft. SMT48

So now that the game is out, is there a longer version of the "Reincarnation" song that was played in the first Nintendo Direct trailer? There are "extended" versions on Youtube but they seem to just be the same song repeated.

I freaking love that song.

Shun

So now that the game is out, is there a longer version of the "Reincarnation" song that was played in the first Nintendo Direct trailer? There are "extended" versions on Youtube but they seem to just be the same song repeated.

I freaking love that song.

Someone has the full versions of the songs and the discussions in between songs on soundcloud. it was posted earlier, might be in the OP.

Full Song

Oh damn I didn't see the track list,a definitely must get.

Also, toi8 is a very talented artist. Folks hating on him in the other thread saying that Soejima is beyond him. I'd say they're equals in their own styles. SMH really.

One thing I hope that they do for the actual OST release is add in the banter and dialogue in-between tracks like the did for the Fortissimo Edition Vocal Selection.

It's a nice touch.

FluxWaveZ

Fan art of alternate universe #FE (not really, but I feel compelled to share these here, via GuiRM's Tumblr):
tumblr_nyl72dCSKS1ugm5xuo1_540.jpg
tumblr_nz2jypFva51ugm5xuo1_540.jpg
tumblr_nzv7ebNmeU1ugm5xuo1_540.jpg

Kid Ying

Playing right now. Its a very inofensive game, much more than i thought. I'm going totally blind on its contents, as ididnt wanted to be spoiled, but the story is not that crazy, the character are charming and is quite straightforward with what it is. Didnt even looked that pandering to me, but some people might disagree. I'm halfway though, so i dont know if there will be a huge plot twist or some strange stuff. For now, its a quite normal rpg.

The loadings arent as bad as i thought they would be usually. Sometimes they are huge though.

Also, the game is quite good for people with not so great japanese skills. The language is quite simple and there is a lot of dubbing, so even if you are not that good on kanji, you can understand what they talk. I dont know if its the definition of import friendly, its just easier to get what they talk, hahaha

ranmafan

Playing right now. Its a very inofensive game, much more than i thought. I'm going totally blind on its contents, as ididnt wanted to be spoiled, but the story is not that crazy, the character are charming and is quite straightforward with what it is. Didnt even looked that pandering to me, but some people might disagree. I'm halfway though, so i dont know if there will be a huge plot twist or some strange stuff. For now, its a quite normal rpg.

The loadings arent as bad as i thought they would be usually. Sometimes they are huge though.

Also, the game is quite good for people with not so great japanese skills. The language is quite simple and there is a lot of dubbing, so even if you are not that good on kanji, you can understand what they talk. I dont know if its the definition of import friendly, its just easier to get what they talk, hahaha

I have many of the same feelings too, and Im also about halfway through now. The content has been very inoffensive for sure. Of course not everyone is going to like the whole Japanese entertainment world stuff but really I think its so far been handled well from what I've played. Even things many would consider to be problematic have been fine. The game does seems to shy away from the troublesome aspects of the industry which is what I would expect from what the game is. It would be nice to see the Japanese entertainment industries more troubling sides tackled in a game, but Im not expecting it in this one for sure. What we got is just a normal story. Nothing group breaking, but Im enjoying it for its fun.

The game's Japanese is definitely one of the easiest Ive seen for an RPG in quite a while. The dialogue itself is simple and really this could be a good game for those learning the language to go and try. The setting I think really helps with that too.

As for loading times, like I said before, they haven't bugged me at all. And really I don't think Ive come close to one that I would consider huge at all. But I still remember 30 minute loading times for games from when I was a kid, so 5 or ten seconds is never too long for me. But mostly in this game the times are all good.

But yeah, halfway through, still a great game. I think really this is becoming my big surprise of 2015. Its surpassed Xenoblade X as my RPG of the year already. While I doubt many others would agree with me there, for me its been that much fun. I knew I would enjoy it and all, but I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I have. Its one of those games that just puts a smile on my face when I play, because it has such good gameplay and its really interesting when everything about it is put together.

Shun

People are really cherrypicking and fixating on somethings without realizing the context which leads me to believe that not many people read through the OP. There really isn't anything that you can call pandering in this game unless you really want to call every instance of showing skin pandering.

It's pretty faithful to the trajectory of how a lot of people end up in show business and they've been pretty inoffensive with it.

The concept of idol is pretty broad because at it's core it's really just a person who's there, a face, to represent fans through a variety of activities, whether it is singing, appearing on bangumi, wide shows, radio shows, comedy, etc. You have a character and flavor for each of them, some not as developed as others, but they are there and it's executed tastefully.

Some, not all idols go through gravure, a lot of people in the entertainment use their idol career or gravure career to jumpstart a more successful career in acting or fashion.

Quite a few AKB members graduated and became actors, Shinozaki Ai moved past gravure and is breaking out a singing career a very talented one too, Mizushima Hiro is a prolific actor and is also widely known for his work on tokusatsu as well as male gravure; Mizushima had a writing career too and came back to acting. I guess the closest American contemporary would be say Miley Cyrus or Ice Cube or Channing Tatum or quite a few others. It's the Japanese entertainment industry but there are parallels to Hollywood and the American and international one as well, let's not kid ourselves. But again people will still stay fixated on a single aspect without looking at the big picture really.

You can find character parallels to quite a few characters to real life as well since some characters are parodies to their real life contemporaries.

It's not like in this game you spend a ton of time hosting akushukai or dealing with creepy fans or having to do questionable things. It's tamer than how Yakuza/Ryu Ga Gotoku approaches the aspect in their 5th game.

Even if you're not keen on the aspects of it, Itsuki, the main protagonist, is the most vanilla and grounded one anyway. He wasn't even keen in entering the entertainment industry and was basically sucked into it. He's there to act as an anchor and contrast from the other colorful personalities in the game since he's the one who doesn't necessarily want it as much as the other with his limited modeling experience.

What I kind of would have liked is maybe more of a focus on a scandal aspect to go alongside with the game. Reason being is that I really like AKB49 manga's take on it since it's ending right now and their take on the scandal and the aspects of idols is pretty good and inoffensive for the most part. I'm pretty sad that AKB49 is ending and I think it's a recommended read for anyone interested here.

Anyways I'm going to do my review and thoughts write up now and start editing those in.

ranmafan

What I kind of would have liked is maybe more of a focus on a scandal aspect to go alongside with the game. Reason being is that I really like AKB49 manga's take on it since it's ending right now and their take on the scandal and the aspects of idols is pretty good and inoffensive for the most part. I'm pretty sad that AKB49 is ending and I think it's a recommended read for anyone interested here.

Anyways I'm going to do my review and thoughts write up now and start editing those in.

That is something I would love to see a game or something else tackle more. I don't know how that AKB manga handles it, but I may have to check it out now. For me the whole Japanese entertainment scandal thing is one of the few things that really angers me living here in Japan, in the way these peoples lives get destroyed over the most trivial of things at times in many peoples eyes, it would be interesting to see get tackled in a game. But yeah too many times Ive seen silly scandals come up and I just shake my head going "why is this person being destroyed over that." Just look this week at Becky, and how she's being treated compared to the guy she was with who was cheating on his wife. But thats a topic for outside the game.

But I doubt we would see such a good portrayal of it in game since Im sure even the game industry wouldn't want to talk about that stuff in fear of ruining possible relationships with entertainment companies in the future. Not to mention how do you represent the reactions of fans in these situations, which tend to go beyond overreacting in so many ways, when that same audience would be buying the game.

Still would make for an interesting experience in a game, and not just the usual candy coated everything is perfect idol world most games portray.

BTW great post too on the idol aspect of the game. The reactions to it all by those that have only seen bits and pieces of video and such has been way overblown. Its really been done quite well in the game and doesn't feel pandering or anything. Its so tame, I can't even believe there is any feeling of controversy about it from anyone.

ohlawd

jeez that #FE ending thread

I don't fucking know how people can't understand it stopped being a straight cover of SMT and FE a long time ago. read about five posts before giving up. I just can't make it past 5 posts in any of these reactionary #FE threads.

fuck, it's too bad I make it a point to not use ignore lists.

RK128

After reading though that #FE Ending threads (god...comparing this to Other M.....that just angered me a bit :'(), I'm wondering, what is #FE like?

I know its structured sorta like SMT Nocturne or Persona 3/4 in terms of core layout/design/ect, but how is the game itself?

Any feedback would be great, as I am interested in this and I have a great feeling this title is awesome from videos I saw online :).

ranmafan

I don't fucking know how people can't understand it stopped being a straight cover of SMT and FE a long time ago. read about five posts before giving up. I just can't make it past 5 posts in any of these reactionary #FE threads.

Yeah its best to try and ignore those threads now. I don't think I even want to go into that tread anytime soon, even after I finish the game and can. In the end, its their loss with all their complaining about what the game is not, which they are welcome to do since its their choice. What it is is a wonderful game, and its a shame many won't try it cause they can't take a chance and try something different. But at least there is this thread and its better here.

Any feedback would be great, as I am interested in this and I have a great feeling this title is awesome from videos I saw online :).

Theres some greats reviews in the OP, and some of us have written stuff too in our posts above. Ill say this at halfway through the game, its my favourite RPG of the year by far. And along with Fire Emblem if, my favourite Nintendo titles this year as well. Its great to play, has great graphics and music, story is good, and its just a refreshing thing. Feels unique. Its a great game, Im more that pleased with it.

It's just sad that some people do not want to play a game or wish a game to sell well just because of "Idols" and "pandering" to otaku.

What breaks my heart is that this may be the team's passion project.

kiryogi

Banned
It's just sad that some people do not want to play a game or wish a game to sell well just because of "Idols" and "pandering" to otaku.

Based off the interviews, and how the game turned out in terms of details and all, I'd think so. It's kinda like Final Fantasy X-2.

RK128

Theres some greats reviews in the OP, and some of us have written stuff too in our posts above. Ill say this at halfway through the game, its my favourite RPG of the year by far. And along with Fire Emblem if, my favourite Nintendo titles this year as well. Its great to play, has great graphics and music, story is good, and its just a refreshing thing. Feels unique. Its a great game, Im more that pleased with it.

Thank you for the response :D!

I had a feeling it would be a great game (Atlus does no wrong in my book in terms of making great games) so its nice having a confirmation of that.

Will look earlier in the thread for more impressions/reviews but thank you for your comment. Glad you are enjoying the game so much :D!

Based off the interviews, and how the game turned out in terms of details and all, I'd think so. It's kinda like Final Fantasy X-2.

I'll support this game once it comes to the west. I need more projects like Radiant Historia. :)

Also, I generally do not like "moe", but I am somehow drawn to AKB48, toku and j-dramas.

Shun

does the request mission is chapter bounded? or as long as it is available/unlocked, you can do it in any chapter?

I didn't test it since most of the time I try to do side quests ASAP, but I don't think they're chapter locked since each side quest are unlocked after clearing a certain point in the story and a lot of the requests you get in this game are a chain of requests, so you would have a color coded marker in regards to your progress in the requests. I don't think there are time limits or deadlines at all.

That is something I would love to see a game or something else tackle more. I don't know how that AKB manga handles it, but I may have to check it out now. For me the whole Japanese entertainment scandal thing is one of the few things that really angers me living here in Japan, in the way these peoples lives get destroyed over the most trivial of things at times in many peoples eyes, it would be interesting to see get tackled in a game. But yeah too many times Ive seen silly scandals come up and I just shake my head going "why is this person being destroyed over that." Just look this week at Becky, and how she's being treated compared to the guy she was with who was cheating on his wife. But thats a topic for outside the game.

But I doubt we would see such a good portrayal of it in game since Im sure even the game industry wouldn't want to talk about that stuff in fear of ruining possible relationships with entertainment companies in the future. Not to mention how do you represent the reactions of fans in these situations, which tend to go beyond overreacting in so many ways, when that same audience would be buying the game.

Still would make for an interesting experience in a game, and not just the usual candy coated everything is perfect idol world most games portray.

BTW great post too on the idol aspect of the game. The reactions to it all by those that have only seen bits and pieces of video and such has been way overblown. Its really been done quite well in the game and doesn't feel pandering or anything. Its so tame, I can't even believe there is any feeling of controversy about it from anyone.

AKB49 takes some time to burn through and the scandals are in the later arcs, but the manga as a whole tackles the idol industry pretty well through its characters and their aspirations, especially with the main character's aspirations and the entire premise of the series to begin with.

The story in this game isn't necessarily the highlight but it doesn't have to be for it to be a good game. However things that would have made it a good story would probably be focusing more on the side characters and dungeons and the unethical things some people do to get ahead in such a competitive industry. However I don't think that tackling the parts where someone's career would get destroyed would fit the tone of the game at all. I think that focusing on their aspirations and showing conflicts with the side characters whom you respect, but realize aren't as great as you thought they would be, would fit the theme better and make the story a little better.

Scandals are a good topic to tackle, but it's really hard to do it tastefully with out disgustingly abhorrent people can be about certain topics on 2ch and the internet and how reputations are destroyed and people harming themselves because of it. It's a topic that is better tackled in Persona 5 considering the theme of the game, than say #FE considering the franchise's pedigree.

If #FE were to get a sequel, I would love for them to go a little darker now that it's no longer a new IP and things are a bit more established, but I'll just hope that the development team is allowed to do a sequel or a similar game at all in the future.

ranmafan

It is sad that people can't take a chance to try something different. Like I said earlier in the thread, I can understand certain things won't be for everyone. I know particularly things like JPOP and Idol culture are high on the list for many people. But its a shame people just look at the pics and a few seconds of video and just get this idea that thats all the game is, skin and otaku fan service and such. Its really not all that at all. There a little bit of that in the game but its more than that, much more. Its a great game that never panders at all really.

I think many of those that do take a chance on the game will like it a lot. It has a lot of things that people look for in a good RPG, and especially brings a lot of the great Atlus aspects to the game. I know there were many games in the past for me that I might've gone "that looks stupid," but I gave it them a chance and those games were fun. Hopefully that happens to others for this game as well.

But yeah like I said earlier in the thread, its disappointing hearing about some of the reactions, but Im still glad the game was made, and I am enjoying it tremendously. And I hope those that worked on the game get those good messages from all the players that have enjoyed it.

Ninjimbo

Hmm, I wonder why the FFX-2 comparison didn't occur to me sooner. It's a better one than comparing #FE to Other M, honestly. Somebody wanted to start a war with that comment.

But yeah, FFX-2 fits. That's also one of my favorite FFs because it's got happier vibes and the combat system is ace. I hate how it got trashed when it came out. The same comments that plagued discussions of that game are happening again with #FE.

Sakura

I would've just liked to see more idol/entertainment world stuff period.
I mean, I don't think I ever saw Itsuki do any actual work once throughout the game. Considering the nature of the game I was expecting to see more of that stuff.

Itsuki would be a walking scandal creator if that stuff was in the game. Hanging out with these girls in the middle of Shibuya in broad daylight?

kiryogi

Banned
I would've just liked to see more idol/entertainment world stuff period.
I mean, I don't think I ever saw Itsuki do any actual work once throughout the game. Considering the nature of the game I was expecting to see more of that stuff.

Itsuki would be a walking scandal creator if that stuff was in the game. Hanging out with these girls in the middle of Shibuya in broad daylight?

Lol, you're totally right. Or they somehow don't recognize the girls.

That said, I am a little disappointed they didn't take the SMT dark side of things with the idol industry. But at the same time, it's a very upbeat and lighthearted game, and doesn't stray away from that really.

ranmafan

Scandals are a good topic to tackle, but it's really hard to do it tastefully with out disgustingly abhorrent people can be about certain topics on 2ch and the internet and how reputations are destroyed and people harming themselves because of it. It's a topic that is better tackled in Persona 5 considering the theme of the game, than say #FE considering the franchise's pedigree.

If #FE were to get a sequel, I would love for them to go a little darker now that it's no longer a new IP and things are a bit more established, but I'll just hope that the development team is allowed to do a sequel or a similar game at all in the future.

Yeah with this type of game, really tackling scandals in it would be hard. Persona 5 I could see, but yeah not #FE. Especially the way I want it portrayed cause I would love to see someone just go full blast and showing how absurd some of these things are. Like I could see a game where maybe if a character was in a scandal they would erase every instance of that character from the video and print history in that game like they tend to do in Japan. I could even see it go so far as having say that persons info in your character info page being completely covered up for those reasons. It would be an interesting commentary.

But yeah if you go down that road you have to tackle it all, and it wouldn't be pretty. I couldn't see a situation with a game showing something like the head shaving AKB incident and all for instance. And then like you said you have the whole 2ch/internet/fan reaction part of it which tends to go beyond overboard. Also you wouldn't see a collaboration with Avex Trax or any other company if those things were in a game. I guess really the only way if could be done is if full and complete redemption could be shown in the one who did the scandal, sadly from my many years of following Japanese pop culture, thats a rare thing to find in real life when it comes to these things.

But who knows, maybe one day someone will make a game or something like that. There have been things dealing with the dark parts of idol stuff before, such as "Perfect Blue" and fan culture.

FluxWaveZ

But who knows, maybe one day someone will make a game or something like that. There have been things dealing with the dark parts of idol stuff before, such as "Perfect Blue" and fan culture.

Persona 4: Dancing All Night (other recent Atlus game) deals with the dark parts of idol culture extensively.

ranmafan

Persona 4: Dancing All Night (other recent Atlus game) deals with the dark parts of idol culture extensively.

Oh nice! I haven't played that yet, but its on my list to play and finish before Persona 5 comes out. I will certainly enjoy that when I do!

Nope, you can do them any time. Same for substories too. There's literally no deadlines in this game :eek:

I didn't test it since most of the time I try to do side quests ASAP, but I don't think they're chapter locked since each side quest are unlocked after clearing a certain point in the story and a lot of the requests you get in this game are a chain of requests, so you would have a color coded marker in regards to your progress in the requests. I don't think there are time limits or deadlines at all.

ok cool... checking request lists for ch.2, there's no way i'll bother with that high level poltergeist in chapter 2 intermission lol

Shun

I updated the OT with Sakura and my impressions of the game. I would appreciate if anyone else could as well. I know Kanaan has finished the game and I don't know how far Lord Ghirahim is either or any of the other people who said they would buy the game like Saotome.

It's not mandatory that you post your impressions or a review but I would most appreciate it if I could add as many as I can to the OT so everyone has a centralized place to know all they need to know about the game. And hopefully curb any of the clickbait reactions and the people who are on the fence about the game. Other threads aren't doing the game favors, but I want this OT to be as good as possible since the game really does deserve it and I hope many people do read it.

Lol, you're totally right. Or they somehow don't recognize the girls.

That said, I am a little disappointed they didn't take the SMT dark side of things with the idol industry. But at the same time, it's a very upbeat and lighthearted game, and doesn't stray away from that really.

Kinda the point of his character with how super grounded and vanilla he is. He's supposed to foil the other colorful cast in the game and it makes sense. I wanted to see more of Itsuki too but it was made up for in other areas.

I mean Itsuki could be so vanilla that they just don't recognize him in his school uniform with the other characters even tho they are part of the same company. Even tho they have "romance" scenes in the game.

Man shit it's part of the fictional world I wouldn't want to go all Metal Gear Solid and have to wear a disguise and avoid people in the overworked 24/7. I wouldn't want police officers and rabid fans attacking me out of nowhere. This ain't Ryu Ga Gotoku.
Oh nice! I haven't played that yet, but its on my list to play and finish before Persona 5 comes out. I will certainly enjoy that when I do!

Oh it does and I enjoyed how they tackled Kanami in that game, but the point I was making was that it doesn't suit a new IP with ties to avex and obvious parodies and parallels to real world personalities as well as it does with an established franchise with original music.

Which comes to the point where me and ramnafan said it would be very hard to tackle such themes extensively considering the nature of the project.

Anyways I feel like I have to go mention that post about no one reading the OT at all and my idol explanation every time and link the OP because of the amount of clickbait and people who really just want to see this title do poorly. I won't understand that sentiment and it doesn't really do any favors to anyone since this is a good game.

kunkun

Neo Member
Finished the game a few days ago and went straight into a Lunatic run which I am enjoying very much.
Here are my impressions:

Story is serviceable, I didn't think much about it at all I but guess most will probably dislike it. The side stories however were fun to go through, only problem here is that I wish there were more. If only each character's side stories could have been as long as a Commu in P3/4 then it would have been perfect.

Battle system felt easier but more punishing than the press turn system. Sessions are your reward for hitting weaknesses or using an Extra/Special skill. Enemies can use this mechanic as well but it seemed that on Hard mode regular mobs don't start using it until about half way through yet on Lunatic they utilize it much earlier. Because of Sessions getting hit by a weakness will usually result in death, not so much against regular mobs on Hard but on Lunatic you have to be careful. And losing a character in battle on either difficulty can create some really tense moments. One more thing to point out is that you are not penalized for hitting Nulls/Reflects/Absorbs, however hitting one during a Session will break the combo. Session routes themselves are automated so once you have seen the enemies resist the system will avoid hitting N/R/A's if possible. There is also a skill that you get early on that introduces another mechanic to Sessions that go around this somewhat.
Overall battles are fun even though they seem mostly automated because of Sessions firing off all the time and attack animations are also as over the top as any FE would be so a big plus there.

Dungeons were fun to traverse with their unique gimmicks along with the random battles. The dungeons though when thinking back to them are a bit small compared to something like Digital Devil Saga(closest thing I can think of). Growth systems and customization are a bit on the simpler side though I don't mind them at all and managing skill learning is just as fun as playing around with Mantras in DDS.

The game is great and I hope more people would give it a chance whether it be now or once it's localized.

kiryogi

Banned
Actually, even on normal, if you miss during a session, that breaks the combo as well. Kind of a shocker. Kinda curious how much fun hard/lunatic will be.

kagamin

I'm ignoring all spoilers right now, but it's really too bad people just look for reasons to hate something rather than trying to find a reason to like something.

Honestly im surprised they went with
Medeus
as the final boss but at the same time its a great choice as its a nice throwback for the fans.

finalflame

Gold Member
Hnnnnnghhhhh dat OT.

I can't wait for this to get a NA release date. The art style and everything I've seen so far looks SO GOOD. Jealous of you guys who can play it early.

kiryogi

Banned
Yeah, the neat if not different aspect about the composer this time around is that he's completely new to this kind of style, and working along with Avex Group.

"The first thing he felt was “it was very difficult!”

Fujisawa explains that he struggled a lot in the completely different mindset that is required for making video game music, as he’s more familiar with how things are done for TV shows. Everything from the timing, flow, and feelings of a song, were all different from the way he usually works on music; however, the sound team from Atlus gave him all kinds of advice that came in handy for his work.

Fujisawa notes that working with the team in an incredibly creative environment, where ideas shapes themselves up, was really fun. He recalls how excited he felt when they first checked out a demonstration of one of his songs, although he says that he was always nervous whenever it came to presenting the songs, nonetheless.

Strange approach. It's like he isn't actually using dynamic range. Certain parts are quieter, then louder, but that's not the same as playing hard and playing softly.
The synth is so overbearing, it's like he's trying to fill in gaps that don't need it.

EDIT: I am getting a faint hint of some DDS soundtrack in there. I wonder if that's what they gave him to draw inspiration from.

MartyStu

This seems so very stupid.

But in a way that until recently I did not know that I would appreciate.

I cannot wait until this makes it way over here.

Top Bottom