• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chargers, Raiders propose shared NFL stadium in LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dishwalla

Banned
Why do some teams abstain from voting? It's so dumb, how hard is it to pick either "yes" or "no"? You are either against it or you are for it.

I assume it isn't Rams/Chargers because there is still an outside chance of Rams/Raiders but having 3 SoCal teams isn't going to play.

Imagine the Chargers get bumped from LA and can't get a deal in San Diego. Say hello to the St Louis Chargers... lol

San-An-to-nio Su-per-Char-gers!

It works if you sing it fast enough.

Why do some teams abstain from voting? It's so dumb, how hard is it to pick either "yes" or "no"? You are either against it or you are for it.

Probably for political reasons. They don't want to piss off any of the other owners, so they instead choose to annoy everybody.

jmood88

There's space between the City of San Diego and Los Angeles. 2 hours of stuff. And it's pretty shitty. Concrete and dirt. With traffic as the icing. It's a pretty shitty drive. And then there's the part where you actually get to LA, and it's a crumbling nightmare wasteland of traffic and grey.
Oh lord.

NFL wants two teams in LA and doesn't want to leave Spanos out to dry. I'm surprised it even got that many votes.

The Rams/TBD is the best choice (coming from a native of STL) but I imagine it'll still be a mess if that passes. They need to either strong-arm or bribe Spanos into agreeing because from what I've read they don't want the Raiders because of their fans lol. Plus they'll still need to find a solution for the team left out.

Parham

Banned
I don't like LA much either, but some of these comments about the city are hilariously over-the-top. C'mon guys.

There's space between the City of San Diego and Los Angeles. 2 hours of stuff. And it's pretty shitty. Concrete and dirt. With traffic as the icing. It's a pretty shitty drive. And then there's the part where you actually get to LA, and it's a crumbling nightmare wasteland of traffic and grey.

lol shit

Tagyhag

I don't like LA much either, but some of these comments about the city are hilariously over-the-top. C'mon guys.

Downtown LA is absolutely gross.

Most areas around it are great.

If people are shitting on LA county in general, I can guarantee you their perception is skewed towards downtown.

Jason Cole ‏@JasonColeBR 56s57 seconds ago
One of the keys to the first ballot is it was secret. That allowed many who had promised to vote with #Chargers to switch.

Pretty fucked-up

ReAxion

Jason Cole ‏@JasonColeBR 56s57 seconds ago
One of the keys to the first ballot is it was secret. That allowed many who had promised to vote with #Chargers to switch.

Pretty fucked-up

Ahahaa. "Oh yeah, Dean, we love ya, buddy!"

[Looking at how much more money everyone makes in Inglewood] $__$

Mindlog

I just have a hard time believing an owner wouldn't jump on the $400+ million in public financing STL is willing to give.
Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if the franchise jumps $400m in value on the move alone.
I can't read that without hearing, 'Jerruh.'
Went looking for the jerruh joke twitter account and found it. Jesus christ.
Maybe it's time for a compromise.

Raiders to San Diego
Chargers to St. Louis
Rams to Oakland
Seahawks to OKC
Too soon.

Just keep the Raiders out of SoCal for the love of god

Also, I think this thread is the first time I've heard of San Diego people actually liking the Chargers. Always seems to me that there are more fans of the opposing team at Chargers games. And though anecdotal, of all the people I personally know who are from San Diego, not a single one of them likes the Chargers.

Just keep the Raiders out of SoCal for the love of god

Also, I think this thread is the first time I've heard of San Diego people actually liking the Chargers. Always seems to me that there are more fans of the opposing team at Chargers games. And though anecdotal, of all the people I personally know who are from San Diego, not a single one of them likes the Chargers.

I lived in San Diego for 16 years and that whole time, the fan base felt small and mostly apathetic. There just was never the passion for the team and the games seemed to never sell out. I get why they might want to leave, but going to LA is an insult. The hate between SD and LA is amazing. If they move, no one will make the drive, that 2.5 hour trip is more like 3-4 with the usual, weekend traffic.

Fitts

I'll be a Raiders fan for as long as they're the Raiders, but I'm still anxious to see what happens. I just hope they stay in Cali because their dedicated fanbase deserves to keep their team close. Besides, my dream to get the Bills the fuck out of here leaving the (slim) chance for them to move to the northeast died long ago.

Brinbe

So I guess it'll be the Rams/Chargers sharing a stadium and the Raiders find a new home in Oakland or elsewhere?

Jerry figured it out?

Guess we gotta see what the Commish suggests now.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if the franchise jumps $400m in value on the move alone.

STL is really getting fucked over by all this, especially since it's guaranteed that the NFL will give the Raiders as much assistance as possible to stay where they. It's crazy to think that a city with an SB to its name will probably be without a team for a long, long time.

At this point I'm not really upset though. I don't want to spend 400m of taxpayer money on a stadium and if it had gone to an actual vote it would have been denied.

RBH

I really hate for any city to lose a team (I know the feeling as a Thrashers fan), but out of all the possible scenarios, the Rams/Chargers going to Inglewood and the Raiders staying in Oakland and getting enough additional money from the NFL to build a new stadium in Oakland would be the one I want to see happen.

Faddy

Banned
STL is really getting fucked over by all this, especially since it's guaranteed that the NFL will give the Raiders as much assistance as possible to stay where they. It's crazy to think that a city with an SB to its name will probably be without a team for a long, long time.

At this point I'm not really upset though. I don't want to spend 400m of taxpayer money on a stadium and if it had gone to an actual vote it would have been denied.

Just like LA was...

Dishwalla

Banned
Fuck that, I want another professional sports team. I'm a tax payer here and I'm a-okay with my money going towards that.

Well I'm a Raiders fan and I just don't think I have it in me to root for a team from Texas. It goes against everything I've ever known.

lol wut

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 10m10 minutes ago
If the Jerry Jones proposal passes, I'm told Chargers would have option to join Inglewood in 2016, 2017 or 2018. It would be up to them

how fucking stupid would the Chargers be not to move immediately? would anyone in SD actually go to their games if they waited?

edit:

Just like LA was...

That was the Raiders though, right? There's a big difference between LA -> Oakland and STL -> LA in terms of just about everything. Kroenke will probably try to erase those 20 years in STL from existence anyway.

Not try to get into "which city suffered more" wars btw.

Maybe it's time for a compromise.

Raiders to San Diego
Chargers to St. Louis
Rams to Oakland
Seahawks to OKC

Nicolas-Cage-Laugh.gif

Sorry Seattle

Faddy

Banned
lol wut

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 10m10 minutes ago

how fucking stupid would the Chargers be not to move immediately? would anyone in SD actually go to their games if they waited?

edit:

That was the Raiders though, right? There's a big difference between LA -> Oakland and STL -> LA in terms of just about everything. Kroenke will probably try to erase those 20 years in STL from existence anyway.

Not try to get into "which city suffered more" wars btw.

Chargers need to move right away or the Rams will eat up the potential fan base.
Will the stadium be finished in 8 months? Seems like a tight schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom