• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: The Division on Xbox One uses dynamic resolution scaling

Theorry

But after a long process of deduction, the actual answer is rather simple - and discernible in the opening area of the beta, as soon as control is handed over to the player. It's clear from this viewpoint that Xbox One utilises a dynamic resolution scaler in order to sustain its target frame-rate, much like Halo 5 and Wolfenstein: The New Order. Essentially, this means that the game adjusts its resolution on the fly, dependent on GPU load in any given scene.

So what exactly is the resolution? Well, the short answer is, it varies depending on the rendering scenario. In the opening shot, Xbox One drops to 1792x1008 as we look at the recovery camp ahead, as especially noticeably on a rooftop structure to its right side. This is still much higher than the 900p output we see in other titles, and it ultimately sits around 87 per cent of a full HD image overall. In other words, it isn't always a vast difference, but it's notable in explaining why we see certain details losing some definition.

As for PS4, it may be the case this scaling method is implemented on Sony's machine too. However, so far our tests reveal no performance drops whatsoever from the full 1920x1080 (or 30fps) so far, and we'll have to judge this point on the final release. Meanwhile we'd love to see this technology deployed on PC in some fashion, where our GTX 970 and R9 390 tests show gameplay frame-rates can vary dramatically. A dynamic resolution could be a good back-up solution for those struggling to get by on their current GPUs on high settings - and also for PS4, should there be any issues in maintaining 30fps later on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cukClU246w

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...sion-beta-on-xbox-one-uses-dynamic-resolution

Raylan

Banned
Finally a confirmation. That's what I thought as well after seeing some (a bit blurry) pics in the last few days. Didn't look 1080p to me in some areas.

I knew it didnt look like 1080p in some places. THis should make one camp happier now tho right? Higher resolution and a locked 30FPS update to the framerate.

Great work ubisoft/massive and I'm still day one on the xbox version. The game ran great on xbox and I fully enjoyed the beta.

props to massive tho I mean 87 percent of full HD is pretty darn amazing on the xbox one. Hopefully microsoft has implemented the dynamic scaling into the Systems SDK to help with development. It really makes games shine on the weaker xbox hardware.

Fuchsdh

seems like this is becoming a normal thing for Xbox One games

No reason not to, really. People are going to notice stuttering and frame drops more than temporarily dropping the resolution—it's why Netflix and Hulu tend to dynamically adjust their resolution to avoid buffering or stuttering. On the current hardware it gives the best possible image in all situations, and I never noticed the transitions during Halo 5.

charsace

Good now the Sony fanboys can stop crying and shut up with the parity talk. Division threads can actually be good now.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
serious_cat.jpg

Figured this was the case, as some parts of the beta looked a little blurry on X1. Not a deal breaker by any means, but if the resolution dips frequently or significantly, I'll probably go with the PS4 version. Shame too, I really enjoy multiplats on my X1 but can't excuse a (graphically) inferior version when I have options.

Thraktor

Meanwhile we'd love to see this technology deployed on PC in some fashion, where our GTX 970 and R9 390 tests show gameplay frame-rates can vary dramatically.

I hope DX12 and Vulkan start to make this a possibility on PC. I predominantly play PC these days and there are plenty of games where I'd prefer a fixed framerate with variable resolution than the fixed resolution with variable framerate I'm stuck with.

That explained the odd look to it at times. Still though, I was expecting 720p and 900p on PS like previous ubisoft games. Both (or nearly) at 1080p is very good.

Finally a confirmation. That's what I thought as well after seeing some (a bit blurry) pics in the last few days. Didn't look 1080p to me in some areas.

Id think this type of resolution change would be virtually impossible to notice. We're talking about a very minor drop in pixel density.

there's still too much parity for my liking. i won't be happy until a version of the game i'll never actually see in any capacity beyond df threads looks noticeably worse than the one i'm going to play, it's the only way i'll be content enough to slowly push that giant stick out my ass

Angel_DvA

Some people saw it pretty quickly that it wasn't full 1080p...

So much for the parity statement, maybe console warriors will stop with that parity non sense now ( that never was there to begin with ) thanks DF for the confirmation...

ps3ud0

Why do developers choose to use two axis scaling? Why wouldnt you use it on one axis only or could the difference between min and max pixels be too large?

I assume one axis scaling reduces artifacts, but have a feeling its nowhere as simple as that.

Sounds like Snowdrop is like the latest id tech engine where its built to have a dynamic resolution to maintain a framerate.

ps3ud0 8)

iMax

This is surprising, I didn't notice any difference at all. Xbox version did drop a couple more frames but that's it.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You don't like what's being discussed, stay out of the thread.
A bunch of unfounded and straight up debunked conspiracy theories being parroted over and over along with straight up ignorance about "parity" and how graphical features work,
"Just add more effects until the ps4 version is 30fps!!1! Just unlock the framerate!1!" isn't really what I'd call a good discussion... That thread was quite embarrassing in that regard.

Portugeezer

A bunch of unfounded and straight up debunked conspiracy theories being parroted over and over along with straight up ignorance about "parity" and how graphical features work,
"Just add more effects until the ps4 version is 30fps!!1! Just unlock the framerate!1!" isn't really what I'd call a good discussion... That thread was quite embarrassing in that regard.

No, it confirms what people were saying that there should not be parity between the two consoles (unless a developer chooses to do so). And there is not.

serious_cat.jpg

Figured this was the case, as some parts of the beta looked a little blurry on X1. Not a deal breaker by any means, but if the resolution dips frequently or significantly, I'll probably go with the PS4 version. Shame too, I really enjoy multiplats on my X1 but can't excuse a (graphically) inferior version when I have options.

So why don't you get it on PC than?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, it was a train-wreck indeed. A lot of armchair developers in there thinking they know what's best.

Conduit

Banned
So, we have this on Xbone :

720p
792p
810p
900p
dynamic 900p
972p
1008p
dynamic 1080p
1080p

Did i missed something?

leeh

Perhaps that's not an option :p

OT: So, is the general consensus a "yay" or "nay" on this game? I've not played the beta, but really was excited for it from the very first snippet of game-play.
I personally thought it was great, definitely recommend.

Perhaps that's not an option :p

OT: So, is the general consensus a "yay" or "nay" on this game? I've not played the beta, but really was excited for it from the very first snippet of game-play.

Huge YAY for me. I've had a blast with the beta and can't wait to play more.

charsace

This. There was not a constructive discussion taking place in that thread. Just people talking about how the game is promoted by Microsoft and that parity was part of the deal for like the 1000th time and for the 1000th time it has been proven false.

Top Bottom