• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division PC performance thread

Thanks for that. Didn't even notice it was there! I'm on a 980ti sli rig @ 1440p and not had it drop below 60 for more than a few seconds. Everything is maxed except for post aa and reflections.

Edit: I keep getting totally random crashes to desktop. Sometimes a few minutes in, others an hour or more later. Getting very frustrating. No temperature issues, utilization is good, no other junk running in the background, Win 10, ssd, and on latest beta drivers.

not a driver crash right? the app just randomly closes? if the latter i have no idea how to troubleshoot that. seems like it would err on the side of being a game problem

Afro

ewtkp0m.jpg

wat

edit: dropped Volumetric Fog down to High to hold a rock solid 60fps @ 1080p w/ a 980 Ti. Looks gorgeous. Will see what happens when shit gets more intense.

dr_rus

its not cpu limitatiom, perf scales upwards just fine on faster gpus from both camps

Doesn't mean that it's not CPU limited in outdoor scenes specifically. A frametime will scale fine with a faster GPU even when it's CPU limited part will stay the same. If a GPU is consuming more CPU than its counterpart it will be relatively slower in these scenes. Both CPU and GPU are working on each frame.

And yeah, when you see things like this:

ceKb.png

You really can't think of any better explanation than the obvious lack of engine optimization for NV's h/w.

I wonder how NV let this be considering that the game is in their program.

I'm running
980ti sli
I-7
32 GB ram
I don't know, can't game this game to run well for me which is weird as the beta ran so well for me

Three black screens, can hear the Ubisoft jingle. Can't alt enter, ctrl alt delete, or alt tab out. I want to play, I don't want to ask for a steam refund. Pissing me right off.

No issues with the Beta for me either.

Doesn't mean that it's not CPU limited in outdoor scenes specifically. A frametime will scale fine with a faster GPU even when it's CPU limited part will stay the same. If a GPU is consuming more CPU than its counterpart it will be relatively slower in these scenes. Both CPU and GPU are working on each frame.

And yeah, when you see things like this:

ceKb.png

You really can't think of any better explanation than the obvious lack of engine optimization for NV's h/w.

I wonder how NV let this be considering that the game is in their program.

or kepler is just a very bad architecture

Garuda1One

Three black screens, can hear the Ubisoft jingle. Can't alt enter, ctrl alt delete, or alt tab out. I want to play, I don't want to ask for a steam refund. Pissing me right off.

me too

spent 30 minutes into the game, shutdown and went to take a shower

now all i see is black screens with mouse and ubisoft jingle..

not a driver crash right? the app just randomly closes? if the latter i have no idea how to troubleshoot that. seems like it would err on the side of being a game problem

Not that I'm aware of. Everything seems fine, then the game up and closes and I get the Ubi "send an error" popup. It's really strange and totally random.

For anyone with random crashes I turned off the wind enabled snow setting and I played a good hour with no crashes so far.. just took a break will play again sometime later.

dr_rus

or kepler is just a very bad architecture

It's not. I can think of maybe one reason such results would even be possible on a GK104 compared to a much slower Pitcairn but it was fixed in Maxwell and it's not only Kepler which are struggling in this game. The engine is what's bad here.

It's not. I can think of maybe one reason such results would even be possible on a GK104 compared to a much slower Pitcairn but it was fixed in Maxwell and it's not only Kepler which are struggling in this game. The engine is what's bad here.

if this was the only game where kepler performed poorly, then maybe it could just be a lack of optimization

Well I launched it from the uplay client this time and it froze on the disclaimer. WTF

leng jai

This is one of the most annoying bugs ever. After a while my Xbone Elite pad stops working and the mouse also doesn't work after that. Basically have to restart my PC.

SliChillax

So how would the game perform at 1440p with a 980ti, 16gb ram and i7 5820k, smaa on low and shadows on high since I don't care much about Nvidia pcss and hfts.

dr_rus

if this was the only game where kepler performed poorly, then maybe it could just be a lack of optimization

If something is performing way below its theoretical level it is the lack of optimization. Other games may be underperforming due to other reasons (lack of VRAM and/or bandwidth, lack of pure compute power, something else).

This is one of the most annoying bugs ever. After a while my Xbone Elite pad stops working and the mouse also doesn't work after that. Basically have to restart my PC.
I believe this is a uplay error because it has been happening to me with far cry primal too. If I use my xbone controller, after I exit the game my mouse is bonkers and registers beeps. Same thing with division.

leng jai

I believe this is a uplay error because it has been happening to me with far cry primal too. If I use my xbone controller, after I exit the game my mouse is bonkers and registers beeps. Same thing with division.

Yeah but this is happening during my game as well, lost progression on missions 4 different times because of this. Horrible.

No, this has to do with Microsoft's new driver in KB3140743. UNinstall this KB and then block it from downloading. Voila.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/48pae4/random_mouse_lagging_and_beeping/

To block it from installing again:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

Agreed. I'm in the same boat as you. Hoping for a fix soon.

Been having this issue for a week now, seem its related to a Windows 10 update https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/48pae4/random_mouse_lagging_and_beeping/

Hope it gets fixed soon, using my 360 controller for now.

Also not just uplay causing it, my brother was playing Just Cause 3 and happened to him today.

SeppOCE

I get a black screen every time I log in.

Alt enter works but then when I alt enter again to enter fullscreen mode it stays windowed no matter what,

Changing resolution and doing it in settings doesn't work either.

Funny thing is I played 6 hours straight perfectly then decided to restart my PC and boom now I can't play out of windowed mode.

Game ran like a charm on medium too. FX 8320, 16 gigs of ram and a GTX 970 was giving me 110-120 indoors and 70-80 outside with the rare fps drop depending on how much is happening on the screen.

spannicus

Same happened to me, then mouse click made the computer beep.
Wtf is wrong, driver or game?

robotrock

Banned
Same happened to me, then mouse click made the computer beep.
Wtf is wrong, driver or game?

Oh what, is that what is happening?

The other day my computer froze up, and I if I clicked my mouse button it would make a beep noise. Never have seen that happen before.

Windows 10, didn't update to the new Nvidia drivers.

Wallach

Nah, you're fine. Uninstall the KB I mentioned and then block it. Works perfectly again on my computer.

It looks like KB3140743 was a cumulative update; they're on KB3140768 now. Should I still block the latter? I'm not sure if they already managed to fix this since it was just posted today.

Edit - KB3140768 still contains the bug, make sure to block that update after uninstalling KB3140743 (or KB3140768 if you already have that installed).

DarkOneX

Damn.

Having the same issue with the mouse making noises since the latest driver update, uplay was not open.

Well that's bloody annoying.

You guys having this issue with the mouse beeping at you and system unresponsive when disconnecting your gamepad it's not nVidia it's a recent Windows update, you have to uninstall KB3140743 from Programs and Features->View Installed Updates then set your Windows updates service to disabled for now until Microsoft fixes the issue.

Profanity

It looks like KB3140743 was a cumulative update; they're on KB3140768 now. Should I still block the latter? I'm not sure if they already managed to fix this since it was just posted today.

Edit - KB3140768 still contains the bug, make sure to block that update after uninstalling KB3140743 (or KB3140768 if you already have that installed).

Yeah by the time I had uninstalled 743, 768 had already been installed so I couldn't block 743 and the problem was still happening. So I've uninstalled both and blocked 768 and it's working fine now!

-Deimos

I'm getting constant driver crashes on 362.00 a few minutes into the game. Every beta ran perfectly so I don't know what the issue is.

edit: Still happening after updating to the latest beta driver.

There is a bug in the latest windows 10 update causing this. You get beeping when trying to click the mouse, right?

Go into Programs & Features and uninstall the latest update and it'll be fixed.

Edit: ah okay people are covering this above.

holygeesus

Banned
Well, I tried benching my 6700k/980ti/16GB after installing the beta drivers from yesterday and performance was outstanding.

Benched on Ultra but going in and maxing shadows I got an average of 69fps at 1080p. Graphics card was sweating though (but it is overclocked)

brobban

Same thing happened to me when starting it for the first time. Did a hard reset on the pc, then it worked.

-Deimos

Still getting driver crashes but damn, this is probably the greatest looking game I have ever played. The lighting is fucking beautiful and it runs great even on my 670. At least before the driver crashes...

Everyone I know t got the black screen at least once right when starting the game.

A restart of the game fixed it.

As for performance, it's been pretty good. I got kicked out of the game twice in a 6 hour period, one while i was at boss mission but thankfully when I connected back in the game it put me back at the boss with my friends (who had to hold off on killing him)

cripterion

Here's a crazy issue I'm having with this UPlay client:

If I have my Elite controller connected wirelessly, and I launch the UPlay app, if at any point I turn off the Elite controller, my mouse input gets broken. Any kind of mouse input just results in beeps from the speakers. Even unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in does nothing, I've only been able to resolve that state by rebooting.

What in hell. I've never really seen anything like that before.

I have exactly the same issue...

Uninstall KB3140743 update if under Windows 10.

The black screen issue fixed itself after one restart but goddamn, the game is buggier than it was in the beta :eek:

Garuda1One

Hmm, im getting inconsistent 50-60fps sometimes more during firefight. Anyone know which setting is expensive but with minimal impact to image quality ?

i have a gtx 980, 16gb ram, i7 4770k..

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
4790k at 4.7ghz
980ti at 1500
16GB ram

Get about 40-55fps at 1440p with everything maxed with all effects on.

Outdoors the FPS jumps around between 40-50 but inside it stays 50+ usually.

Lord Phol

Really glad this game runs so much better than the Beta did for me (80-100 fps compared to 40-80). Running at 1080p with a mix of high and maxed out settings. Only got DotF and Volumetric Fog on Medium as they don't do much for me. Game runs at 80-100 fps with some weird dips to the 60s/50s in certain areas (like looking in certain specific directions at Camp Hudson). I'm also not having the weird heat issues I had with the beta which I was worried about. I really hope it stays this good. Still just level 5 in early Manhattan. A little bit worried about how well it will perform in Darkzone with plenty of players on screen however.

PC:

i5 2570 @ 3,4 Ghz
GTX 980 Ti
16 GB RAM
Sata HDD

Xyber

wat

edit: dropped Volumetric Fog down to High to hold a rock solid 60fps @ 1080p w/ a 980 Ti. Looks gorgeous. Will see what happens when shit gets more intense.

Volumetric fog can be really demanding. In one area the difference between medium and maxed was about 35fps. Went from 70-80 to ~45fps with that one setting on my 970.

I'm running a 970/4460 and getting a really smooth, solid 60fps in 95% of the content I've seen. However, in big firefights (with npc allies or player allies) I get drops to 45-50 fps which somehow simultaneously cause me to have nasty input latency. My character no longer moves properly with keyboard input and it feels like about half of my input is being lost. It's playable but really unenjoyable as it totally screws up my muscle memory/timing from the other 95% of the content I play. Why would movement input be tied to fps, are they reading input in onframe or something. Anyone else seeing this or something similar? I have vsync disabled and am running at 1080p, a drop from 60-50fps shouldn't cause anywhere near this much input latency/loss.

I have this issue as well. It's like this game polls inputs different than most and perf drops which usually never affect inputs now slow them down and make them buffer considerably.

Outdoor scenes are more CPU bound in general, indoor scenes are more GPU bound in general. What you're seeing in this video is a) a bad AMD's DX11 driver at play in outdoor and/or b) the lack of engine's optimization for NV's GPUs indoor.

That makes me wonder. Is GPU utilisation on AMD rather poor in outdoor areas? Or does it still report back 99-100% utilisation inspite of having all that driver overhead?
Volumetric fog can be really demanding. In one area the difference between medium and maxed was about 35fps. Went from 70-80 to ~45fps with that one setting on my 970.

I am not sure how they do it necessarily, but looking at the NV optimisation guide (which is awesome as usual Andy), it looks like the internal resolution of the effect is decidedly higher on Ultra.

Top Bottom