• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How To Make It In America Episode 1 [New HBO Series costarring Kid Cudi]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Thoroughly enjoying it. I guess I should since Marky Mark and his crew are producing it, and I fucking love Entourage.

I also love how Emily from Entourage is in the first episode. <3

Maximus.

Man ive been waiting for this show and stupid youtube wont let me watch it :S Why isnt it available in my country!

I'm really liking this show, but YouTube's shitty servers turns watching this 30 minute episode into a 2 hour ordeal. Suck less, YouTube. Suck less.

Tokubetsu

NaughtyCalibur said:
I'm really liking this show, but YouTube's shitty servers turns watching this 30 minute episode into a 2 hour ordeal. Suck less, YouTube. Suck less.

Yea, YT's been giving me a lot or problems lately.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I will watch this for the cudder. :)

edit:

cudi was barely in it, but i loved it. whens the next episode? :D

BobbyRobby said:
seems like Entourage for hypebeasts, but without the funny characters like ari or drama.
Except without the shitty characters of everyone that isn't Ari.

This show is awesome, looking forward to more.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Didn't do much for me. Outside of me liking the main dude (from another show he did), and being all "lol I've been there" due to location, it didn't really make me clamor for more. I'll give it an episode or two more to see, though. Here's to hoping.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
MWS Natural said:
Ugh..his ex is hella ugly, dunno why he is still sweating her like that.
this. but to me, it feels more real life than entourage, we can't all have supermodel ex's.

striKeVillain! said:
Wow, fucking loved this shit. The Dominican kid was definitely the best. (I guess I'm biased because I'm Dominican)
No, honestly liked him the most too. reminds me a of a friend i had once. he brings the most energy to the show.

BobbyRobby said:
seems like Entourage for hypebeasts, but without the funny characters like ari or drama.
but drama wasnt funny, characters making fun of drama were funny.

I feel like the comparisons to Entourage are flimsy at best. This show is focusing on, as pointed out above, a much more 'real-world' take on entrepreneurship, instead of dumping us in the lap of four already-popular/already-rich movie stars who are all quintessentially douchebags. At least the two mains in this show are likable and sympathetic.

Also, Dominican guy is hot.

The company I work for does the sound mixing for this show and they're on like the 6th episode but i still haven't watched one of them and I even got handed a DVD of the first ep when I was walking around in NYC... so gaf is it actually good? All the peeps at work have been kinda indifferent about it...

Just watched it now, this show is horrible and I have removed it from my DVR to record again. People who are not fans of everything NYC represents, such as myself, are going to be put through torture. The show tries way to hard to be something it is not. I think this was the first time I actually have been disappointed by a HBO series. Here's hoping that Treme is better.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Eaten By A Grue said:
Just watched it now, this show is horrible and I have removed it from my DVR to record again. People who are not fans of everything NYC represents, such as myself, are going to be put through torture. The show tries way to hard to be something it is not. I think this was the first time I actually have been disappointed by a HBO series. Here's hoping that Treme is better.

Out of curiosity, what exactly is "everything NYC represents", to you?

SnakeXs said:
Out of curiosity, what exactly is "everything NYC represents", to you?
I was born and raised in/around Philadelphia, having a beef with everything NYC comes second nature. :D

Seriously though, everything about the show is so cliché. Art shows, parties at lofts, getting in night clubs, hair brain schemes to sell crap for some crazy uncle who does illegal stuff etc. etc. Everything about these characters' lives seem so generic. Usually HBO series that focus on a region really bring out the character of the area they take place in. The underbelly of Baltimore in The Wire, the backwoods/swamps of Louisiana in True Blood, the over the top lifestyle of Hollywood LA in Curb, New Jersey in the Sopranos, etc, etc. Everything in this show seems like, been there done that so many times in other shows when they deal with NYC. It just seems over the top shallow with no character. Even previews of Treme and Boardwalk Empire seem to have more character in their respective cities just from seeing their trailers alone.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Eaten By A Grue said:
I'm was born and raised in/around Philadelphia, having a beef with everything NYC comes second nature. :D
Really? Well born and raised in Philly and still living in Philly, I hate this fucking place and I would love to move to NY if it wasn't so crowded (though that's part of the charm) and if the prices weren't so inflated. That's just me though. :p

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Just watched episode 2. It's like a Entourage except they're not funny, not successful, and I don't know anything about the NYC scene, and nor do I care. I'll give it a season, but I don't know, it's just not clicking.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
just watched episode 2. good stuff. ending left me hanging, i want more.

i dont get the comparison to entourage at all any more. this feels more real, more smart, and honest. there is no crew of guys living out every guys dream with fast cars, beautiful women, and big houses.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Episode 2 was meh, but overall, the first two are okay. It's just like the anti-thesis to Entourage though. I can already see where it's going overall. Instead of like Entourage where everything turns out well, things are going to be opposite on here... It's just going to be hard for them to do anything.

I'll watch it because nothing else is on Sunday nights at 10 to watch, but yeah, meh.

Meier

SephCast said:
Just watched episode 2. It's like a Entourage except they're not funny, not successful, and I don't know anything about the NYC scene, and nor do I care. I'll give it a season, but I don't know, it's just not clicking.
I glanced at the EW review and they said it was like Bored to Death where it took a few episodes to get up to speed. I don't have HBO and don't care enough to see either so I can't really comment beyond that.

DMeisterJ said:
Episode 2 was meh, but overall, the first two are okay. It's just like the anti-thesis to Entourage though. I can already see where it's going overall. Instead of like Entourage where everything turns out well, things are going to be opposite on here... It's just going to be hard for them to do anything.

I'll watch it because nothing else is on Sunday nights at 10 to watch, but yeah, meh.
So... it's realistic?

Watched the 2nd episode, I am beginning to really like this show, it's not like Entourage where their only problems show up at the end of the season then it's solved in one episode. It's much more realistic.

I'm loving the show. It has great NYC flavor which HBO is so good at capturing. The script is fantastic, characters are likeable but flawed, and there's an actual arc developing. I think it's going to catch on and be a hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom