• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How To Make It In America Episode 1 [New HBO Series costarring Kid Cudi]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
comparisons to entourage turn me off because that shit is pretty awful (save ari)

but i like HBO a lot so i'll give the first season a try

jon bones said:
comparisons to entourage turn me off because that shit is pretty awful (save ari)

but i like HBO a lot so i'll give the first season a try
It's really not like Entourage at all. Some people are just not perceptive by nature. The only common thread is that the main character has friends.

jon bones

templeusox said:
It's really not like Entourage at all. Some people are just not perceptive by nature. The only common thread is that the main character has friends.

i'm still going to form my own opinion... HBO's last nyc-based offering was the jam (bored to death)

No it's VERY similar to Entourage. It's like they got some douchebag cousins in New York who take part in the hipster life.

It's the hipster Entourage. Complete with lame art shows and the token ghetto sidekick.

Discotheque said:
No it's VERY similar to Entourage. It's like they got some douchebag cousins in New York who take part in the hipster life.

It's the hipster Entourage. Complete with lame art shows and the token ghetto sidekick.
How could a post be more wrong?

templeusox said:

It is totally Entourage. I think you're being too specific when looking for a 1:1 comparison. I watch the show and the style feels like Entourage. I didn't think Bored to Death or any other HBO show feels like Entourage, but How To Make It In America is like watching an alternate universe Entourage. That said, your liking of the show depends on how you feel about the subjects they cover. Also, maybe check out some of the earlier episodes of Entourage if you really have trouble seeing the comparison.

anyway, the show seems alright for the most part. I mentioned Bored to Death earlier and I was liking that show from the first episode. This isn't offensive, but I can take it or leave it at this point. I mean, I'm still watching it. I barely watch TV, so the fact that I'm watching this means I'm finding enjoyment in it.

it feels like a less sitcom-y version of Entourage. It doesn't have the easy one liners and setups like Entourage does, but the style and pace of the show is pretty similar.

ZephyrFate said:
At least the two main leads are better looking than the cast of Entourage.

And I need hot menz in my shows.

countered by
Luis-Guzman-Photograph-C10111129.jpeg

Wish i had HBO :(

but caught up today watching all 3 episodes, it's great
yeah it kinda seems like entourage in reverse, staring out from the bottom/struggling rather then the top/easy life
but this show is great :D

Noone else noticed the Entourage-esque deus ex machina at the end of last night's episode? I'm scared for this series already.

The main guy puts down nearly everything he has in the bank to pay for the sample jeans - money that he needs for his rent. But wait! At the last second, the other dude sells enough skateboards (that we have seen since the pilot as being a massive flop) to cover the sample money! It's all gonna work out, right E? Wait, wrong show...

Not much Cudi at all in that last episode, but the next episode seems like it'll feature Cudder a lot more. Overall, the episode was pretty good -- so far I have not been bored watching this show, and I hope this trend continues. Oh -- Episode 4's up for grabs for people in the US before it plays this Sunday at http://www.hbo.com/how-to-make-it-in-america#/how-to-make-it-in-america/episodes/1/04-unhappy-birthday/index.html I haven't gotten the chance to watch it yet for I'm in school at the moment... :lol

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I'm still torn. I don't love it, yet I can't not watch it.

Also, Lee Fields & The Expressions was played. So it gets points for that.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I'm so 'meh' on the whole series.

It has 'Entourage-syndrome' where everything works out by the end of the episode. It'd be nice if things were a little tough since this is about 'making' it in america. With Entourage, the belief is suspended because we know that being an actor is just pure dumb luck, but with America, it's supposed to be a more realistic take on things. It would have been nice if the guy couldn't have paid his cousin off, or if the Tokyo guy hated his jeans and didn't buy the shirts, or it'd be nice if something happened to the sample.

But as it turns out, everything is fine and nothing goes wrong by the time the 22 minutes are up.

I'll still watch it cause nothing is on Sundays at 10, but a big old fat 'meh' from me.

skads_187

love this show. but you cannot compare it to entourage or else you'll be disappointed. love the music they play. too bad yesterdays show was on only 23 minutes, i think it was the best one so far this season.

jon bones

still haven't watched an episode

can't get over the "yo guys denim is cool right let's make a show lol" prejudice i have in my head

Alcoori

Wasn't sure after the first ep, but I think Bryan Greenberg is cute so I kept watching. Also thought I had already seen him somewhere and realized it was in One Tree Hill, which makes me somehow ashamed :D

Still unsure about the show though, I enjoy watching it but... eh.

TheOddOne

jon bones said:
still haven't watched an episode

can't get over the "yo guys denim is cool right let's make a show lol" prejudice i have in my head
Yeah, I wish the writers would have chosen a more realistic subject matter.

thread title needs to change, kid kudi is the worst character in the show, every time he says anything with dumb facial expressions, I just cringe.

SnakeXs

Rapping Granny said:
thread title needs to change, kid kudi is the worst character in the show, every time he says anything with dumb facial expressions, I just cringe.

Maybe he doesn't bother me since I know/knew people just like him...

...or because I had very little idea who he was prior to the show.

Slizz

I'm sticking with this show, it shows great promise. Problem I am having is its 23-25 minutes no commercials. Every episode seems to end before it takes off, then the next episode starts off as weak the last then ends almost strong. 5 episodes in it seems like its finally going to take off. Luis Guzmans side story is picking up strength as well as the main story.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I like the fact that this show actually has a real female character unlike Entourage where every chick even Sloan is seen from the guys perspective. Plus the chick from the Goonies is hilarious.

DarkStar

I love this show ALOT, I still need to watch ep. 4 and 5 but so far Im feeling it
Also love New York, and the rawness of it!

Archer

GREAT show.

Am loving this.

Just read that it's produced by the same guys that do Entourage, so that makes sense.

SnakeXs

Fucking hell it's just picking up and its finale is next week. Here's to hoping for a S2.

Archer

SnakeXs said:
Fucking hell it's just picking up and its finale is next week. Here's to hoping for a S2.

Get the playlist from each episode. It's light years better than Entourage.

I feel like Lake Bell (Rachel) is the strongest character in the show. The scenes between her and Ben are excellent on-screen together.

Luis Guzman's character showed excellent restraint this episode.

I like the show a lot. It's not a top tier HBO show, perhaps not even on the second tier, but I will watch it when it's on and I appreciate what it brings to the table.

Renewed for a second season. Rejoice!

Variety: The busy premium cabler execs at HBO have given a second-season greenlight to half-hour comedy "How to Make it in America." Show will return to New York for its sophomore year.
Link

Probably one of my favorite shows on right now. So happy to see it renewed.

SnakeXs

Yeus. It finally started to pick up and find a rhythm near the end, so yay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom