• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";198404497]1/1 Zombie tokens is almost as sacrilegious as Linvala making a 3/3 Angel.

Angels are 4/4s, goddammit! Don't even get me started on 4/4 bear tokens!

walter-sobchacks-caridiyce.gif
[/QUOTE]

Society is going downhill.

Haines

Banned
depends on the kind of manafixing but ref mage is totally worth a splash it's such a huge tempo swing.

I had loam larvae. Fertile thicket. That blighted that fetches to lands for sacing itself and..something else. Probably one of those mana fixing colorless lands.

Maybe my buddy just scared me so much and I need to stop listening to him then.

ultron87

I'm not exactly keen on what is splashable. Is it the later drops that help. It's one thing I've been struggling to learn BC my friend just opts out of splashing entirely.

For instance.I played a GW support deck on weekend. I had 4 diff mana fixing cards I could have played but they weren't the best ones.

I opted to not play them to splash for a reflector mage BC I figured a 3 drop might end up sitting in my hand where as a later drop like even 4 you have more time to ensure your mana is fixed for it.

Am I on the right track? Maybe I need to read an article on splashing in limited.

You're almost right. It's not quite the converted mana cost that is important for what you should splash, but the card's effectiveness at various points in the game. If you have a cheaper card that is only good when cast on curve it probably isn't the best candidate to splash. So like, don't splash a Goblin Guide. But if it's a card that's just as good whenever you cast it, like a Pacifism, it is fine to splash.

Reflector Mage is probably worth it, since it can be good later on.

pigeon

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";198404497]1/1 Zombie tokens is almost as sacrilegious as Linvala making a 3/3 Angel.

[/QUOTE]

Image.ashx

Also, if your deck is already good and you don't have a significant amount of fixing, basically nothing is worth splashing.

Should I Splash = (card's power level + mana fixing) / overall deck power level

I had loam larvae. Fertile thicket. That blighted that fetches to lands for sacing itself and..something else. Probably one of those mana fixing colorless lands.

Maybe my buddy just scared me so much and I need to stop listening to him then.

the colorless lands are usually your best bet, unknown shores specifically since it doesn't require a boardpresence. The blighted from my experience is best used to trigger landfall since it costs effectively 5 mana. Fertile thicket is handy but cipt lands do slow you down until played turn 1. Loam Larvae isn't particularly good either and eats up a draw to fix.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

[/QUOTE]

3/3 Zombie
2/2 Soldier
4/4 Bear

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";198405255]Also, if your deck is already good and you don't have a significant amount of fixing, basically nothing is worth splashing.

Should I Splash = (card's power level + mana fixing) / overall deck power level[/QUOTE]

Except Dragonmaster Outcast, that's always worth it

the colorless lands are usually your best bet, unknown shores specifically since it doesn't require a boardpresence. The blighted from my experience is best used to trigger landfall since it costs effectively 5 mana. Fertile thicket is handy but cipt lands do slow you down until played turn 1. Loam Larvae isn't particularly good either and eats up a draw to fix.

Loam Larva is a legitimately good card. It's a good blocker against cards like Zada's Commando and it carries counters from your green bolster cards extremely well. Green decks are also the most likely to be three colors, so the ability is often relevant. Green decks aren't great at generating colorless outside of Scions, so getting a wastes for your Stalking Drones is also pretty good. Loam Larva is the sort of card people underestimate until they play the format a lot. It just fits very well for a 2 mana common.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";198409773]Loam Larva is a legitimately good card. It's a good blocker against cards like Zada's Commando and it carries counters from your green bolster cards extremely well. Green decks are also the most likely to be three colors, so the ability is often relevant. Green decks aren't great at generating colorless outside of Scions, so getting a wastes for your Stalking Drones is also pretty good. Loam Larva is the sort of card people underestimate until they play the format a lot. It just fits very well for a 2 mana common.[/QUOTE]

Disagree, in the world of OGW 2 drops it ranks fairly low to me. I'm pretty disappointed if I have to mainboard it personally.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You can't use Arlinn's 0 ability to flip her and then use another ability on her other side on the same turn, can you?

If you could it would mean you could make 3 2/2s and bolt 3 times as soon as you cast Arlinn, making her the brokenest card in the universe lol

Also

fr_0q7UNnq0Lk.png

Apparently, Pécheurs (Sinful / Sinners) and Pêcheurs (Fishermen).

Firemind

I've been looking through Gatherer and... why are all the green ramp cards so bad? Seriously. Honored Hierarch is a multitude of times worse than Llanowar Elves.

Daedardus

If you could it would mean you could make 3 2/2s and bolt 3 times as soon as you cast Arlinn, making her the brokenest card in the universe lol

Also

fr_0q7UNnq0Lk.png

Apparently, Pécheurs (Sinful / Sinners) and Pêcheurs (Fishermen).

That's actually hilarious, who spellchecks these cards?

Hero

I've been looking through Gatherer and... why are all the green ramp cards so bad? Seriously. Honored Hierarch is a multitude of times worse than Llanowar Elves.

Because one drop mana dorks are problematic and would basically make a lot of stuff have to be overcosted to compensate.

Firemind

Because one drop mana dorks are problematic and would basically make a lot of stuff have to be overcosted to compensate.
i mean, in a perfect magical christmas scenario, sure.

fact is it dies to sweepers, wraths, removal, is a bad topdeck, is slower in a format of tapped lands, doesn't generate non-green mana etc. etc.

Haines

Banned
Thank you for the tips in splashing. The point about splashing for something that is OK being played off curve was the final piece I think I needed to get through my head.

The rest of it will probably just come from playing and testing.

El Topo

Eh, can't really blame them for messing up the accents. It can happen with French.

On the other hand more expensive mana dorks are not exactly super popular.

Hero

i mean, in a perfect magical christmas scenario, sure.

fact is it dies to sweepers, wraths, removal, is a bad topdeck, is slower in a format of tapped lands, doesn't generate non-green mana etc. etc.

Have you noticed the fact that sweepers/wraths are more expensive than they used to be? Even burn sucks these days.

El Topo

Have you noticed the fact that sweepers/wraths are more expensive than they used to be? Even burn sucks these days.

That was inevitable with a move to a more creature-based game though. Same with nerfing counter spells and draw spells.

Remember when not having both Llanowar Elves and Birds of Paradise in the core set at the same time was the worst thing people could imagine?

Having to play Utopia Tree?

Firemind

languish is four mana and there are two playable burn spells for one mana. i don't see what the problem is. turn three siege rhino would suck but luckily it's about to rotate. four copies of llanowar elves in a given deck would not break the format, guys.

El Topo

languish is four mana and there are two playable burn spells for one mana. i don't see what the problem is. turn three siege rhino would suck but luckily it's about to rotate. four copies of llanowar elves in a given deck would not break the format, guys.

I think it might be problematic in Limited if you have a 1CC mana dork at Common, maybe even Uncommon. In Constructed? Maybe not. I could see it push certain decks a bit too much though.

four copies of llanowar elves in a given deck would not break the format, guys.

It's like something like Lightning Bolt: it doesn't break the format, and you can have it around occasionally without ruining everything, but it's so significant that how other cards interact with it quickly becomes one of the biggest factors in determining their quality. If you have Llanowar Elves, every other mana dork is immediately bad, and every green creature basically costs one less.

People played Sylvan Caryatid, people play Rattleclaw Mystic, they'll play two-mana ramp guys.

Not having a 1-mana dork in the format pretty much killed Whisperwood Elemental from being a viable card.
Not that I'm cross about it 'er nuthin

Firemind

People played Sylvan Caryatid, people play Rattleclaw Mystic, they'll play two-mana ramp guys.
midrange would play those guys, not aggro.

if they go the 2cc route, i'd hope they have the guts to push them. noble hierarch and deathrite shaman are basically the peak of mana dorks. why not have creatures that can produce mana and attack. something like:

mana dude 1G
t: add g to your mana pool. transform.
1/1

werewolf
trample
3/3

OnPoint

midrange would play those guys, not aggro.

if they go the 2cc route, i'd hope they have the guts to push them. noble hierarch and deathrite shaman are basically the peak of mana dorks. why not have creatures that can produce mana and attack. something like:

mana dude 1G
t: add g to your mana pool. transform.
1/1

werewolf
trample
3/3

Birds of Paradise will always have my heart. I dearly loved equipping it with swords and swinging in.

ironmang

Red strikes me as one of the worst colors of rotation leftovers (besides chandra, of course) so it should be interesting to see how Arlinn does in new standard.

El Topo

that's exactly why i say ugin isn't a dragon!

You just wait until Ugin turns out to be on the side of the Eldrazi. Can't trust (colorless) dragons. But yeah, a one-time mana dude with transformation would be interesting.
On a sidenote, I really like To The Slaughter. It's a 2-for-1 in the right deck at Instant Speed and reasonably priced.

Haines

Banned
(Limited)
So I wanted to take a look at the delerium effects cards get and try to parse what cards were actually worth chasing the mechanic for. I didn't look at any flip sides so if they had it I would have missed it

Descend upon the sinful - need it for card to work very strongly

Angel of.deliverance -if it doesn't win, it's effect will

Topplegiest- free tap each of your turns

Tooth - free -1/-1 each turn so good

Soul swallower - becomes a massive win condition

So 5 cards I see so far

Angry Grimace

I really liked Sylvan Caryatid. Ironically, being good enough to get cast in a format that also has Elvish Mystic can probably tell you that Sylvan Caryatid is too good.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I got like hundreds of old magic cards I bought in the 90s is there a place to evaluate their worth or should I dump them? Gonna fish them out and see what I got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom