• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

Quasar

Boogz does this sound like an entirely new APU/Design or is this more of a modification of existing hardware choices? The new software sounds pretty cool, kind of a PlayStation OS to take advantage of 4K?

I did wonder if was just going to be a revised jaguar based apu or something more radical like one based on say something Carrizo.

I've received several direct messages from industry friends over the past two days and--this is fucking crazy--they've all independently told me that th

III-V

Boogz does this sound like an entirely new APU/Design or is this more of a modification of existing hardware choices? The new software sounds pretty cool, kind of a PlayStation OS to take advantage of 4K?

Is there any logic or reason behind this? To help purport VR? To keep hardware cycles fresh? To offer a "premium" device with minimal design changes?

If Boogs is talking about "definitive" software and "not being sure when to ship" - it sounds like they have a design ethos and hardware choices in tact. ^_^ talk about hype train boys. It's interesting that hardware reps are on board too. It sounds like the circle of people who are learning about this is growing, it won't be long before a document of specs leaks kind of like it did for Orbis.

I know. I'm waiting for Boogz to go eat dinner again.

But really, how did you surmise they were hardware reps and he

Boogz

Banned

Is there any logic or reason behind this? To help purport VR? To keep hardware cycles fresh? To offer a "premium" device with minimal design changes?

From what I was told it has to do with psvr so if I was to guess it's a redesign of the hardware. Again I will update this week.

PrimeRib_

So is it hardware or software?

And what does that sentence mean: hardware/software will have a defining application?

Thanks!

Sounds like it means the hardware selected will be purposeful to meet the demands of a (still under debate) software spec. So if they're shooting for 4K, they'd pack 4K capable hardware into a new PS4 box.

Boogz

Banned
Blah boogz just wrote above something about a "defining application" and not being sure when to ship. Good times. Like 2013 all over again.

Yea it sucks. One of the major problems with Sony is when to launch. But it is what it is.

I should get more info next week.

vpance

Yea it sucks. One of the major problems with Sony is when to launch. But it is what it is.

I should get more info next week.

They don't want to get upstaged by Xbox 1.5 this holiday and also don't want to clash with PSVR either. Tough decisions.

So many in SonyGaf are going to be spending $1000 in PS hardware this year, lol

thuway

I'm almost convinced thst this will be the "PS4 slim" but with VR in mind.

If they are launching in Q4 this year, than you are on the money. Q4 is way too soon to have any "significant" upgrades to the PS4 outside of clocks and minor hardware revisions that keeps the soul of the PS4 (aka the APU) in tact. I'm kind of lost on all of this.

thuway

A VR-focused PS4 model? I wonder what will come of this.

The problem is: VR requires a lot of power, 4K requires a lot of power. The PS4 in its current form, does not have that "power" to facilitate rendering of these resolutions/targets natively without significant compromises.

If this PS4K is designed around VR with the Jaguar APU in mind - it's a little bit of a head scratcher because no matter how high you clock, the performance won't be there to render 4K in the fidelity we've come to expect from AAA games.

This thing is no doubt going to be expensive, while the current ps4 will be even cheaper when this new revision comes out, and that worries me.

Defining application will be 4k native support for media and games. Naturally this would mean 4k VR games too. Looks like my theory of a ps4 update primarily for 4k content could turn out to be true. No current ps4 user needs to feel being 'betrayed' if that is the case. This won't be to upgrade standard definition gaming content to higher framerates, fidelity, etc. Fits in perfectly with what Zoetis claimed a few pages ago as well.

No 4k display, or no interest in high end VR? Then you don't have any reason to get this upgrade and if you still feel 'forced' to get one regardless, then that's on you buddy.

Will they stop production of current ps4 in favour of the revision, or will they both be available, like a high end VR model and regular ps4?
Guess no one knows at this time.

thuway

Will they stop production of current ps4 in favour of the revision, or will they both be available, like a high end VR model and regular ps4?
Guess no one knows at this time.

Technically both Sony and MS could charge $499 and keep a $249 "vanilla" model. The high end guys buy the high end machine, the mass public buys the vanilla product. It makes for a good schism in the marketplace.

onQ123

I think it's a Vision/image processor that will handle up-rendering PS4 games to 4K & re-projecting frames for VR.

Sidenote:

Now I would like to address a different challenge for us – and that is what is called a Total Available Market. One of the issues we have is the minimum spec for the PCs which will run the Occulus and the HTC headset ant 90 fps and 2k resolution. Now to do that you need either a Radeon 290x or the GTX 970 both of which retail for $349. The challenge that we have is if you look at the total numbers of these GPUs that have been sold, according to JPR, that’s an install base of just 7.5 Million units. Now that’s an issue because it means you can only sell 7.5 Million of anything – because that’s the number that can run those headsets. I am very pleased to tell you that we have invented something called Polaris which we think will address this problem. – AMD’s Roy Taylor

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-captures-83-vr-market-leading-vr-sector/#ixzz43hDj4StZ

Polaris it is!

No Love

Banned
Technically both Sony and MS could charge $499 and keep a $249 "vanilla" model. The high end guys buy the high end machine, the mass public buys the vanilla product. It makes for a good schism in the marketplace.

Hasn't that been the only logical answer all along? People are getting way too convoluted in their thinking on this topic. This is essentially what Nvidia has done with GPU's: introduce a mid-range product first at the high end bracket, grab userbase with that product, and then eventually reveal the true high end solution and position it as such.

If Sony brings a PS4K, it's no different than a mid-range GPU and a high end GPU: they play the same games, but one does it at Medium with decent frame rate and the other does it on Ultra with rock solid FPS. This doesn't even make it harder to make games, because it's just like the PC model where consoles were a baseline Low/Medium settings all along.

Offering hardcore consumers a more expensive higher performing option isn't really that crazy if you keep it simple. Hell, the CPU on PS4 can easily be swapped out for a 3 GHz unit on similar architecture. It won't really cost them much and stands to gain them a lot of extra profit. Sony is just doing what Nvidia and Apple have done for years now.

thuway

I think it's a Vision/image processor that will handle up-rendering PS4 games to 4K & re-projecting frames for VR.

Sidenote:

Polaris it is!

Good quote, but they'd have to design an ENTIRELY new APU to support Polaris. If they go with Polaris, it would be really hard to launch in Q4 2016 seeing as how relatively immature the foundries would be at 14 nm.

Also you are forgettiong HBM ;). Bandwith is the biggest enemy of 4K. HBM is the truth.

thuway

Hasn't that been the only logical answer all along? People are getting way too convoluted in their thinking on this topic. This is essentially what Nvidia has done with GPU's: introduce a mid-range product first at the high end bracket, grab userbase with that product, and then eventually reveal the true high end solution and position it as such.

If Sony brings a PS4K, it's no different than a mid-range GPU and a high end GPU: they play the same games, but one does it at Medium with decent frame rate and the other does it on Ultra with rock solid FPS. This doesn't even make it harder to make games, because it's just like the PC model where consoles were a baseline Low/Medium settings all along.

Offering hardcore consumers a more expensive higher performing option isn't really that crazy if you keep it simple. Hell, the CPU on PS4 can easily be swapped out for a 3 GHz unit on similar architecture. It won't really cost them much and stands to gain them a lot of extra profit. Sony is just doing what Nvidia and Apple have done for years now.

The problem is R&D. It costs a pretty penny to design, test, develop kits, and get working hardware that has acceptable yields, failure rates, and consumer/developer confidence. PS4K is either the Coke Zero to Diet Coke, or it's an entirely different animal altogether (jones soda).

no, sorry

existing ps4 is and will stay the primary console for the coming expected years, all what this new ps4 system will do is run ps4 games in 4k, graphical assets will be the same across both systems. Will there be some enhancements here and there sure, but that's the point of having a 4k set.

This is the Zoetis statement I was referring to.
PS4K will be the perfect name for this model. Will give Sony a new angle to market the machine. As an Ultra HD media centre / games console. Worked wonders for the ps3, with its blu ray ability a key driver for sales, at least in the early years when it was obscenely expensive and had a lacking library of games. I remember a lot of people who bought the ps3 primarily for it's blu ray capabilites. Games were just a bonus for these people.

thuway

A gtx 970 should be good enough to run ps4 games at 4k 30fps. Anyone know what the BoM for a 970 is?

290X sells for sub 200 in a lot of places and is in the similar performance bracket as 970. Sony buying in bulk will probably reduce the cost substantially. The larger question is what sort of CPU dedicision is on the cards.

I did not see that Zoetis post.

So if accurate and assets remain the same then this has to just be some kind of really nice 4k upscaler. To which I ask the question what is the point? I'm not entirely sure why anyone would buy one as most 4k TVs already upscale

FroJay

Banned
So they can do native 4k but wont improve the assets.

That makes almost no sense. I felt pretty solid on what this thing was but am now getting confused

I don't see the point of the machine if it doesn't improve the quality of the assets/graphics themselves. If the games have the same graphics quality but are displayed in 4K count me out. If the games let you pick the resolution HD or 4K you might have me interested. It just seems too soon for an upgrade, at least a marginal one.

onQ123

Good quote, but they'd have to design an ENTIRELY new APU to support Polaris. If they go with Polaris, it would be really hard to launch in Q4 2016 seeing as how relatively immature the foundries would be at 14 nm.

Also you are forgettiong HBM ;). Bandwith is the biggest enemy of 4K. HBM is the truth.

DYNAMIC CONTEXT SWITCHING BETWEEN ARCHITECTURALLY DISTINCT GRAPHICS PROCESSORS

1. A computer graphics apparatus, comprising: a) a central processing unit (CPU), wherein the CPU is configured to produce graphics input in a format having an architecture-neutral display list for a sequence of frames; b) a memory coupled to the central processing unit; c) first and second graphics processing units (GPU) coupled to the central processing unit, wherein the first GPU is architecturally dissimilar from the second GPU; and d) a just-in-time compiler coupled to the CPU and the first and second GPU configured to translate instructions in the architecture neutral display list into an architecture specific format for an active GPU of the first and second GPU, wherein the just-in-time compiler is configured to perform a context switch between the active GPU and the inactive GPU, wherein the active GPU becomes inactive and the inactive GPU becomes active to process a next frame of the sequence of frames, and turn off the one of the first and second GPU that is inactive after the context switch.

0224_jordan_630x420.jpg

I don't see the point of the machine if it doesn't improve the quality of the assets/graphics themselves. If the games have the same graphics quality but are displayed in 4K count me out. If the games let you pick the resolution HD or 4K you might have me interested. It just seems too soon for an upgrade, at least a marginal one.

I dont see a significant market for the device at all if the same asset quality is accurate. You have no incentive for anyone with a 1080p tv to buy one (the vast vast vast majority of the market) and the device appeals ONLY to people with a 4k TV. Why would devs take extra time and money to develop a 4k version of their game when it will only sell to people with 4k tv? A tiny share of the market at large.

There has to be more to it otherwise I dont understand this move at all

Last post before I retire to bed.

Zoetis claim makes sense to me. This machine will be marketed primarily to people with 4k displays. Sony needs to provide content to increase uptake of their 4k tv's. Like Cosmos and others have stated, what better way to do this for Sony than using their current best selling electronic device as a trojan horse? Some times we forget, Sony have their fingers in other pies besides gaming.
Of course, having 4k native abilities will also help immensely with VR.

Not having any performance bumps (impossible at a reasonable price in conjunction with 4k anyway, in my opinion) other than in resolution will also alleviate many of the concerns from first generation ps4 owners that we have been reading in this thread over the last couple of days. Even though I feel most of these concerns are unfounded, Sony will be keen to not alienate any of their loyal ps4 customers.

Top Bottom