• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 6 Is Planned to Be the Most Powerful Console of Its Generation; Sony Is Only Considering AMD

Sony is planning to make the PlayStation 6 the most powerful console of its generation and, as such, is not afraid to take as much time as needed to achieve this goal.

A new video shared by RedGaming Tech this week provides some updates not only on Sony's next-generation system but also on the PlayStation 5 Pro. While Sony has yet to announce its mid-generation refresh system, it seems more and more likely the console is indeed releasing, as third-party studios started receiving dev kits recently. While this isn't a confirmation that the system is coming 100%, as hardware is canceled all the time, the fact that dev kits are getting shipped out suggests that Sony is going through with its PlayStation 5 upgrade, which should be released later this year.

As for the PlayStation 6, the system has been in the works for around one year, and its specs, like CPU and RAM, haven't been finalized yet. Sony is talking with development studios as of now to tweak the system, which is almost assuredly going to be powered by AMD technology, as AMD is the only vendor Sony is considering, according to RedGaming Tech. This is somewhat new, as Sony was talking with multiple vendors, including NVIDIA, for the PlayStation 5, before settling on AMD.

While the system specifications have yet to be decided, Sony is set on making the PlayStation 6 the most powerful console of its generation and is thus ready to take things slowly, as the console's release window is said to be 2028. How this goal will be achieved remains unknown, but it is being said the Japanese company is tripling down on ray tracing and path tracing, the latter not universally supported due to its massive performance costs, machine learning and AI, especially in regards to NPCs' interactions to offer innovative and advanced gaming experiences.

As the PlayStation 6 is still far from release, and the PlayStation 5 Pro is still unannounced, we have to take everything revealed in the video with a grain of salt. Still, there are definitely some exciting times ahead, and it will be interesting to see how both Sony and Microsoft will handle their next-generation hardware.

I still don't think the PS5 slim has peaked...the Pro has yet to release and here we are talking about PS6.

I mean, obviously they have started working on it but nothing new has been mentioned in there that you couldn't predict easily.

mark-cerny-ps5.gif

Don't even bother trying to hype up some bullshit for next gen, because I ain't buyin' it. Not the lies, not the hype, not the fake news, not the digital-only games, not the two years' worth of extended generations trying to justify the early purchase.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'll give it 3 years before
_2pMt_.gif

Also PS5 Pro don't exist

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Does that even mean anything if MS is potentially releasing their next system in 2026?

Sony could make a a system that’s weak relative to what you’d expect of 2028 hardware and still be “the most powerful console”..

Rat Rage

Sony is planning to make the PlayStation 6 the most powerful console of its generation

Huge mistake. By the time the PS6 comes out, nobody will give a shit about graphics anymore, because we've already reached the point of massive diminishing returns, or simpler, for the average joe, graphics look great across the board already. Going for the "most powerful" console is gonna be gimmick marketing, but I think it'll work out for Sony somehow. However, it will have a noticable lesser impakt than in previous generations.

Xtib81

As long as we get 500€ or so consoles, the word powerful shouldn't be used.
Also, please stop spreading redtechgaming's news, he knows jack shit.

Last edited:

Crayon

I like this tuber but all he has are rumors. It's only reliable when he's referencing solid known leakers.

saintjules

Every time I settle into a console gen, I'm almost immediately hit with rumors and specs about the next iteration.

Yeah, it's a bit wild to me that we're seeing people talking about PS6 this soon.

I don't see any game maximizing the hardware of PS5 at all yet. We're still seeing pretty bad performance issues on cross-gen games. I'd rather see a long string of games running well on PS5 before I could even think of PS6 lol.

I hope they call it Playstation Next or something. "PS6" sounds funny.

Go_Ly_Dow

As the PS5 shows, in the first 1-2 years people early adopters, aka the enthusiasts will pay a premium to get their hands on it. So I think around $649-$699 would be fine, if that's what it takes to make something that's a real upgrade from the Pro in 2028-2029. But if you want the masses to then adopt it then $499 seems about right further into the generation.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I am starting to get angry. This mfer doesn't know jack shit. Why we fucking keep posting his stuff ?????? He is like most of the people that post shit on twitter have no knowledge of anything !!

Just talking the obvious doesn't mean you know shit. So ffs please stop giving these people clicks. Fuck man..

Deerock71

I'm just glad the Metal Gear Solid collection Vol. 1 I nabbed for the Switch came as a game card and not a boxed up code. That means it can transfer from one Switch to another (provided the fuggin' games are downloaded).

LimanimaPT

Really? Sony wants their next gen console to be the most powerfull console? Wow, did you see this in a crystal ball?

Top Bottom