• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Pro to Be Powered by Custom Eight Core Zen 2 CPU, 60 CUs RDNA 3 Hybrid at 2500-2800Mhz – Rumor

Rykan

You know that the source for the PS5 Pro existing is the same one that first leaked the PS5 with detachable disk drive, that Project Q (PlayStation Portal) was not a cloud gaming device but remote play only, also leaked the playstation pulse earphones and headphones. Literally every piece of PS5 hardware he has leaked has come to fruition. I don't see why there would be much doubt that the PS5 Pro is coming too.

PS5 Revision - https://insider-gaming.com/new-playstation-5/ (September 19th 2022)
Project Q (PlayStation Portal) - https://insider-gaming.com/playstation-handheld/ (April 5th 2023)
Pulse Earphones/Headphones - https://insider-gaming.com/ps5-wireless-earbuds-sony/ (February 14th 2023)
PS5 Pro - https://insider-gaming.com/ps5-pro-in-development/ (March 14th 2023)
Just to clarify: I don't doubt that a PS5 pro has been "developed" or that it exists. Both manufacturers probably have a "Pro" variant designed and ready to go into production if they choose to do so. What I'm skeptical about is if they will actually go ahead and release it. With MS already hinting that they aren't interested in doing it, and the fairly limited success of the PS4 Pro under arguably much more favorable circumstances, I'm not entirely convinced it will actually come out and be on store shelves.

Only 60 cus? An XSX has 52… A 7900 xt has 84.

This isn’t going to be as “pro” as some of you are hoping.
It's going to be exactly that. We expect about 2x more raster power (and don't forget about the dual RDNA3 thing) and big improvements to RT. PS4 Pro was 2.23x improvement to raster and pretty much it.

And remember that XSX is only clocked at 1.8ghz and has architecture problems (memory and caches).

Last edited:

Wooxsvan

ya i agree, i was hoping for more but looking at it realistically what can they do?
they have to pick a price and time. You know they will not be making tons on these units, so we will get whatever they can put in a `$599 price at end of 2024. if thats what it ends up being so be it.

PS5-UpdateHD-scaled.jpg

The yet-to-be-announced PlayStation 5 Pro is said to bring accelerated ray tracing and other performance improvements, but it seems like the CPU that will power the new system won't be based on newer AMD architectures, according to rumors circulating online.

A few days back, RedGamingTech reported to have heard some new information regarding the console's specifications, saying that it will be powered by an eight-core Zen 2 CPU running in the low 4 GHz range, 60 compute units RDNA 3 custom GPU running at 2500-2800 MHz, 16 GB GDDR6 memory at 18000MT/s, possibly double Tempest Engine performance and two shader engines. Clock speeds are still not locked in, however, and won't be so until the system is ready for launch, as Sony is apparently testing multiple variants of the console.

While obviously unconfirmed, there seems to be little doubt as to the fact that the PlayStation 5 Pro CPU will be based on the Zen 2 architecture, the same as the base model, as well-known leaker Kepler recently seemed to suggest the same. Nevertheless, we have to take everything that was revealed a few days ago with a huge grain of salt until Sony officially announced the console.

While the PS5 Pro has yet to be officially announced, Sony did make a hardware announcement this month, revealing the long-rumored new slimmer PlayStation 5 hardware revision, which will come with a smaller size, increased storage, and compatibility with a detachable disc drive. The new hardware revision will start rolling out this November worldwide.

Haven’t been on this site for a while but I hope these specs are wrong unless the system is somehow only going to be $499.99 these would be unacceptable specs for $600+ (let alone the rumored $699)

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It's going to be exactly that. We expect about 2x more raster power (and don't forget about the dual RDNA3 thing) and big improvements to RT. PS4 Pro was 2.23x improvement to raster and pretty much it.

And remember that XSX is only clocked at 1.8ghz and has architecture problems (memory and caches).

I have 7900 xt paired with 32 gigs of ddr5 and a 7700x. It does RT better than the consoles for sure but its not leaps and bounds.

I would expect the specs here to be exactly like th e PS4 pro was to a ps4. Just slightly better settings, resolutuion, and framerate. I wouldn't expect anything close to a 7900 xt though which isnt that far. Though I guess you never know... ( but you kind of know :messenger_tears_of_joy: )

Mr.Phoenix

$79 is overpriced for a UHD drive add-on?

Actually it's at a price where if they would have kept the digital version the same price ($399 ) you would end up getting $20 off by buying them separately lol

By the way this price increase is only temporary & next year we should see all models go down in price
People ought to hop onto Amazon and see how much a BR external drive costs. And those are even the fancy ones with slot-loading drives.
Haven’t been on this site for a while but I hope these specs are wrong unless the system is somehow only going to be $499.99 these would be unacceptable specs for $600+ (let alone the rumored $699)
There is a 60CU 256bit, 16GB GPU from AMD released this year. Basically a GPU that is fundamentally similar to what's rumored to be in the PS5pro. Wanna guess how much it costs?

Dream-Knife

Banned
You're right that it does apply to next PS and Xbox hardware, but the statistics simply show that people are much more willing to buy a next generation console rather than a new iteration of an already existing console. Probably because a next generation system will always have games that can't be played on an old gen machine, which isn't the case for a Pro model.
This is basically PS6. Generations don't really exist more. Think of a console as a minimum spec. Indie games will run on PS4+, but maybe more intensive games need a PS5, or PS5 pro to run acceptably.

Since within a generational number they have the same CPU that pretty much limits changes to graphical settings.

A ton of games are CPU limited these days.
i mean since those 52 xbox CUs can barely keep up with 36 ps5 ones.
its probably not that simple.
Clock speed.

At least this has killed the pseudo-science people were saying about how less cus and faster clocks were somehow special.

Rykan

This is basically PS6. Generations don't really exist more. Think of a console as a minimum spec. Indie games will run on PS4+, but maybe more intensive games need a PS5, or PS5 pro to run acceptably.

Since within a generational number they have the same CPU that pretty much limits changes to graphical settings.
You're right in that console generations aren't really a thing anymore in terms of game development. But they certainly are still a thing in terms of console acquisition rate. We just don't see that mass migration happening from base console to PS4 Pro or Xbox One X. New purchasers of consoles also overwhelmingly preferred the standard model.

Meanwhile, we did see a run on the next generation of consoles as soon as they came out. So I agree that it could be “Basically” a PS6 in terms of hardware specs, but consumers almost certainly won't see it that way.

I just don't think that trying to convince your audience to buy new hardware again just a few years after release is a solid strategy. I like the idea of having the option of a more expensive, more capable machine. But that really should be an option available at launch.

kikkis

Why? It's a Zen2 processor. It's not Zen4.
That doesn't cost much extra. If anything porting zen2 to 5nm cost more since it's the only one of it's kind. 7800xt is 650€ and this is even bigger die since it has cpu integrated and probably some other smaller stuff as well.

MiguelItUp

I know I said it before, and I'll say it again, it just feels so weird to be here learning about the Pro, and seeing the slim designs when I feel like there isn't nearly enough games out. It just feels so strange to me. This isn't just a PS thing either, I'd feel the same way about MS. It's just felt like a slow gen to me is all. When we were at this point in the past it felt like there were SO many more games out.

Really curious to see what it will look like though, and how big the difference truly will be in the end.

onQ123

I'm really trying to understand the people concerned about a mid-gen refresh having the same CPU ?

Do you understand how wasteful it would be to use a new CPU vs just clocking the older one higher? Gaming haven't even changed much since the we made it to 32-bit era & we most definitely will not be doing anything different with a mid generation console .

Last edited:

DanielG165

I know I said it before, and I'll say it again, it just feels so weird to be here learning about the Pro, and seeing the slim designs when I feel like there isn't nearly enough games out. It just feels so strange to me. This isn't just a PS thing either, I'd feel the same way about MS. It's just felt like a slow gen to me is all. When we were at this point in the past it felt like there were SO many more games out.

Really curious to see what it will look like though, and how big the difference truly will be in the end.
I feel like Pro consoles will be a harder sell this time in general. The last ones made sense as that was at a time where 4K content was still a budding market; obviously both Microsoft and Sony wanted a piece of that. This time, and I know the “Pro” monikor indicates certain hardware being tailored towards a more enthusiast centric customer base, but outside of RT which a lot of people still don’t seem to understand nor care, resolution, and fps, I don’t see what a Pro PlayStation nor Xbox would substantially offer. Especially if a PS5 Pro is $600 in the economy that society is in now, that’ll be an interesting product to try and sell.

8K wouldn’t really be a thing, either, as such marketing already exists on the side of the current PS5 box. Though, even a Pro console wouldn’t handle 8K gaming at any reasonable measure. It took a 3090 to be able to do so, kind of, and that’s a far more powerful GPU than what would be inside a Pro PS5 or Series X.

Crayon

The smart thing about ps4pro was that they dropped the regs to $300 and slid in the pro at $400. They are playing games with that detachable drive now so they can at least echo that strat.

Are we now at the point where we get a new console every 3 or 4 years?

If this does become a regular thing, how many people will completely ignore the first iteration in favour of the "pro" version 4 years down the line?

I don't know why, maybe I can't even articulate exactly what my opposition is, I just feel like this isn't a positive thing for anyone but Sony.

dave_d

This is the first generation ever where the base consoles actually saw a price increase not a decline a couple years after launch in most markets.
Umm, the original NES base console sort of did. When it first came out in 86 it was $80 with Super Mario Bros. Then they changed the control deck so for the same price you got that NES book. (Which was less than SMB.) Eventually they put out the control deck with nothing extra (no book or SMB) for $80. I guess that's more shrinkflation though.

OuterLimits

If this does become a regular thing, how many people will completely ignore the first iteration in favour of the "pro" version 4 years down the line?

I don't know why, maybe I can't even articulate exactly what my opposition is, I just feel like this isn't a positive thing for anyone but Sony.

Yeah, it certainly makes some sense to wait for a pro version in console generations now. The first few years are largely cross gen releases. Buying a pro would coincide with cross gen period ending and a several year period coming up where software will better than on the base console.

Crayon

Yeah, it certainly makes some sense to wait for a pro version in console generations now. The first few years are largely cross gen releases. Buying a pro would coincide with cross gen period ending and a several year period coming up where software will better than on the base console.

Plus you won't miss many games until the next cross gen period ends. That's if this turns into a pattern, though. So few next gen games for two years, that is.

Yes, great point.

Time we get past the cross gen phase, and the last generation of hardware is gradually removed from developers plans, we get a pro version of the current gen console.

It's like you reiterated, why bother being an early adopter or buying the first version at all when they aren't even really taking advantage of its power and are effectively making it a second tier option barely 4 years into a (traditionally) 7 or 8 year life span.

Most will just stick with old gen and wait on the mid gen refresh to buy their upgrade.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Would have been amazing if they had upped the cpu. I'm really interested to see the tangible difference.

Just a bit higher resolution than current ps5 if imagine. Maybe games like spider man 2 can handle the quality mode 40 fps mode at 60 fps with little drop to resolution......

I'll take it.

shamoomoo

At some point, assuming Sony keeps on making PlayStations then the mid gen refresh could be a way to extend the console cycle without really having a next gen if chip manufacturing is at a limit.

onQ123

You're ignoring the clock speed at 2.8GHz this console will be a beast .

The GPU is almost clocked as high as a CPU if this was a standalone console it would be time to focus on compute rendering 1st .

Hell even as a mid-gen refresh you have a lot of power left over to play with when doing enhancements

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
I get the disappointment at it still using Zen 2 but we should remember it's not the CPU that's the real problem, it's the unoptimised POS that are UE4 & UE5 engines.

Fix that and most of the limitations would go away.

bitbydeath

I get the disappointment at it still using Zen 2 but we should remember it's not the CPU that's the real problem, it's the unoptimised POS that are UE4 & UE5 engines.

Aren’t you referring to just PC’s lack of video ram issue? UE works fantastic on consoles AFAIK, and have experienced.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
You are all being fooled. They just releasing this fodder so Xbox gets fooled for a late release in next gen. this will be a zen4 / Rdna3 / 1tb / 16gb console that’s releasing next year but instead of the pro it’s really the Ps6.

They fooled everyone!!

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
At those specs devs should be able to patch in 4k/60 quality modes for much of the games that are currently 4k/30 I figure. I don't don't know if I really need that though, seeing as the performance mode for all of the PS5 games I've played look great to me as is.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Yes, great point.

Time we get past the cross gen phase, and the last generation of hardware is gradually removed from developers plans, we get a pro version of the current gen console.

It's like you reiterated, why bother being an early adopter or buying the first version at all when they aren't even really taking advantage of its power and are effectively making it a second tier option barely 4 years into a (traditionally) 7 or 8 year life span.

Most will just stick with old gen and wait on the mid gen refresh to buy their upgrade.
They have taken advantage of the hardware though.

CPU limitations are a real thing.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
CPU limitations are a real thing.

Of course it's a real thing but the UE powered games suffer from the problem far worse than other engines.

It's multithreading performance is atrocious unless dev teams with the time and resources customise it to be otherwise.

I know people seem to be skeptical about the RT capabilities of a theoretical Pro. However the PS5 has an impressive track record of ray-tracing implementations across titles, especially with Insomniac. Considering that before the consoles launched, some people were expecting RT audio at best lol

The RT implementation on SM2 has already illustrated how this technology is evolving especially on the software side.

I fully suspect that a PS5 Pro, (especially a PS6) will make things like ray traced global illumination a standard across the Sony first party titles which is an impressive technical milestone.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Yes it does... but eventually the gap will give it less return ... next gen for the ps6.. having all games with 60-120 fps options, good ray tracing and resolution ... well the need for the pro will diminish imo

And if sony goes all in on the PC with day one releases.. I can see a lot of PRO console consumers jumping ship por PC ... I would be one of them.

StereoVsn

I'm really trying to understand the people concerned about a mid-gen refresh having the same CPU ?

Do you understand how wasteful it would be to use a new CPU vs just clocking the older one higher? Gaming haven't even changed much since the we made it to 32-bit era & we most definitely will not be doing anything different with a mid generation console .
Consoles are already running into CPU limits with multiple games like Starfield and Cyberpunk. It can’t be that laborious to have BC on Zen4 for Zen2 considering on PC side that’s just Tuesday.

Last edited:

Elios83

Consoles are already running into CPU limits with multiple games like Starfield and Cyberpunk. It can’t be that laborious to have BC on Zen4 for Zen2 considering on PC side that’s just Tuesday.

Games have to run on the base console.
This is a mid gen upgrade. Developers aren't going to make games that CPU wise can only run on a much more powerful hardware.
It makes no sense to invest in changing CPU cores for a mid gen design. It creates BC issues, longer R&D, higher costs just to be bounded by previous hardware.

CPU will get a clock boost but the two key areas of improvement are ray tracing performance and better upscaling techniques assisted by AI. The former should be in AMD's roadmap, the latter might require some custom secret sauce.

Last edited:

Kurotri

I feel like Pro consoles will be a harder sell this time in general. The last ones made sense as that was at a time where 4K content was still a budding market; obviously both Microsoft and Sony wanted a piece of that. This time, and I know the “Pro” monikor indicates certain hardware being tailored towards a more enthusiast centric customer base, but outside of RT which a lot of people still don’t seem to understand nor care, resolution, and fps, I don’t see what a Pro PlayStation nor Xbox would substantially offer. Especially if a PS5 Pro is $600 in the economy that society is in now, that’ll be an interesting product to try and sell.

8K wouldn’t really be a thing, either, as such marketing already exists on the side of the current PS5 box. Though, even a Pro console wouldn’t handle 8K gaming at any reasonable measure. It took a 3090 to be able to do so, kind of, and that’s a far more powerful GPU than what would be inside a Pro PS5 or Series X.
They did release this weird handheld thing that doesn't even fucking work without your PS5. I think Sony is no stranger to stupid decisions nowadays.

Mr.Phoenix

1. Please refrain from using starfeild when trying to make a case for CPU limitations. That is a game running on a dated piss poor engine from a studio that is notorious for half-hearted optimizations.

2. I dont know why people have a habit of doing this, when trying to make a case like your, they point out failures while ignoring success. You talk Cyberpunk and Starfield, but conveniently ignore Spiderman 2 and HFW? Those two games are pretty much the best-looking console games this generation so far, and one of them is an open world game that also has RT. And both of those games have a 60fps mode that's better looking than any mode in the games you mentioned.

Not saying this to start some sort of vs things, but rather to make a point, the point being, those are examples of what is possible when games are optimized properly for the hardware.

3. I dont know where this whole compatibility thing came from regarding Zen 2 and Zen 4. X86 simply doesn't work that way. If it runs on zen 2, then it would run on Zen 4 with ease. The Zen core is not the problem, the problem would come down to things like available cache, number of Cores, clock frequency...etc. And those are only issues depending on how specific the coding was. Which unfortunately for consoles, is usually very very very specific.

But we are getting ahead of ourselves here, Zen 2 has more in common with Zen 4, than Zen 2 had to Jaguar... and yet the whole PS4 game library works on the PS5.

The reason they are or would likely stick with Zen 2, is simply because they do not need to have Zen 4 in there for what the machine is designed to do. All Zen 2 needs is a cache bump and a clock bump. People need to stop this tech porn nonsense and just remember what a Pro console is actually supposed to do. But if this is somehow too hard to do, let me help... Look at Spiderman 2. It has a fidelity mode that can be unlocked and when it is, it's averaging 40-60fps. A pro console is to ensure that games like those would maintain a locjed 60fps in that mode. And that its performance mode would average 120fps instead of 80fps. That's what the Pro is for.

I still don't see what the point is. The PS4Pro had 4k as the application. This half-assed update just says, "Your Base PS4 Sucks and all the 4k 60 RT shit we promised you was bullshit, but trust us now and again in a few years when we launch PS6."

Drop the price of base ps5 for wider audience, introduce new model at a premium.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Let's say for the GPU they did the butterfly thing again where it's basically double what we already have. However, what if they used ALL of the extra die space exclusively for ray tracing hardware. Then let's say the cpu just gets your basic clock/cache bumps.

Do you think there would be value in having a pro console that leaned so heavily into improved ray tracing performance, perhaps making it much more common to see ray tracing included in games? Would this get us to nvidia ampere levels of ray tracing do you think?

Wooxsvan

Let's say for the GPU they did the butterfly thing again where it's basically double what we already have. However, what if they used ALL of the extra die space exclusively for ray tracing hardware. Then let's say the cpu just gets your basic clock/cache bumps.

Do you think there would be value in having a pro console that leaned so heavily into improved ray tracing performance, perhaps making it much more common to see ray tracing included in games? Would this get us to nvidia ampere levels of ray tracing do you think?
I think we are about to see a big flip on ray tracing that its just going to be required. its just faster to use it (development time) than baking lights. latest example. spiderman 2. So a PS5 Pro that has a strength in RT will be a good thing.

Top Bottom