• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor : CNBC: Sony to release a PS5 Pro this year

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I don’t understand the reason for this existing. Doesn’t matter how many rumors there are, it just seem very unlikely it will happen, and people are just expecting it due to history repeating.

If Sony does release it, what is the point? They haven’t released one first party game that has used the PS5 specs. Just a very few third party games have felt “next-gen”.
This is a waste, as well as Sony focusing on GaaS.

The point is the new selling point. 60/ 120fps. Consoles no longer have to advertise HD anymore. Advertising a smooth 60fps per game is the new hotness.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Curious what games will make use of it at launch.

Like could we see ff16 get a new quality mode at 60fps as well? Or perhaps FF7 rebirth get a 60fps quality mode?

If all the pro version does is allow for more visual prowess then it’s a pointless upgrade to me. Ideally this thing will make more games run at higher resolutions AT 60fps.
Don't forget it won't be a free upgrade. Likely a new $70 version.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The point is the new selling point. 60/ 120fps. Consoles no longer have to advertise HD anymore. Advertising a smooth 60fps per game is the new hotness.
Take DD2 for example, we need more power because we aren't getting greatly optimized games

R2r1zKv.png

Jaybe

Wonder if they will have a marquee title launch in connection with the Pro’s release, be it first or a third-party partner.

Devs managed Metro Exodus, RDR2 and AC:V on a still actually slim console. Uncharted2 ran on some 256MB RAM...
Now we have a lot more power in a huge tower and the benefits beside load times are barely conceivable. Pro power will make no actual difference whatsoever, other than devs brute forcing even more stuff and having less incentive to really squeeze the very last drop out of the chips. A Pro would be more interesting if AMD had a new RT and or upscaling revolution cooking for Sony that becomes later their RDNA4 or even 5 basis. But just the same with a little extra oomph? Okay, I guess, but probably more general negatives than individual positives.
4 Pro made some sense since fauxK and also VR were both asking for some extra punch, but this time around it feels like a pretty pointless product for people that don't mind excessive pricing in PC parts either, possibly pushing devs away from doing an exceptional job and relying on upgrades more and more.

Last edited:

Shodai

As a former PS4 Pro user and now PS5 user, i´d just say: fuck it! We need more real next gen games, most part of PS5 catalogue are still Crossgen, more than 3 years after lauch so... Not this time Sony! Take full advantage of the current PS5 First! Obviously "Day 1 gang" is gonna jump on the train, like they always does with everything Sony drops, and most of them are gonna tell you that your current PS5 is not gonna work with GTA VI and whatsoever other games in vogue are gonna be available....But i just say...Look at 2013 PS4 and it´s 1,8 Tflops running Ragnarok, GT 7, Forbidden West and even RE 4 Remake like a champion....So...not upgrade needed, dont fall on that shit!
Costs continue to balloon, why would any sensible studio focus only on latest gen? The same reason Sony signaling that it is going cross-platform with PC applies here.

The old model is breaking down, as is quite apparent if you are paying attention.

There’s zero chance the Pro comes out this summer lol. There would have already been a leak.
I’m assuming it’s been cancelled.
1. It was never mentioned this was coming this summer
2. You don't cancel something like this a few months before release for no huge reason.
3. PS4 also wasn't announced early in the year and it didn't leak like that.

Uh......why? Is this needed? I guess they want the high $$$ from the few people that will buy it.

Focus on making games Sony......................then a PS6 in a few years. Only a handful of games have been made exclusively for the PS5
1. It's a console So it's really not "needed" per say. But considering there's people here that will be buying one, there's an audience for it, so it makes sense to release one.
2. The teams making games aren't the same as the ones working on hardware so it's not like they can't focus on both...which they are. New controllers, earbuds, headets, VR2, PS Portal, etc....
3. It's mostly going to be about optimizing the games to 60fps, resolution boosts and probably Ray Tracing. That's it. It won't be a gen-defining product and it's not meant to be.

Celcius

°Temp. member
1. It was never mentioned this was coming this summer
2. You don't cancel something like this a few months before release for no huge reason.
3. PS4 also wasn't announced early in the year and it didn't leak like that.

1. It's a console So it's really not "needed" per say. But considering there's people here that will be buying one, there's an audience for it, so it makes sense to release one.
2. The teams making games aren't the same as the ones working on hardware so it's not like they can't focus on both...which they are. New controllers, earbuds, headets, VR2, PS Portal, etc....
3. It's mostly going to be about optimizing the games to 60fps, resolution boosts and probably Ray Tracing. That's it. It won't be a gen-defining product and it's not meant to be.
I was just replying to the person above me saying it was coming out in the summer

Aka, second Jesus coming according to
Xh57Cml.jpg

/s

I honestly don't get his double standard on PS5 Pro. Dude is part of a PC culture where people will drop over $500 every 2 - 3 yrs for a new GPU upgrade, but he questions the need for a PS5 Pro 4 yrs into PS5's lifecycle? Especially when we are seeing legit performance dips on many releases now. It just comes off as damage control for Xbox not having an answer.

Man, with all these news about remasters and remakes , let's just call the PS5 for what it is. PS1 2.0. & PS1 2.5.

Last edited:

SHA

I honestly don't get his double standard on PS5 Pro. Dude is part of a PC culture where people will drop over $500 every 2 - 3 yrs for a new GPU upgrade, but he questions the need for a PS5 Pro 4 yrs into PS5's lifecycle? Especially when we are seeing legit performance dips on many releases now. It just comes off as damage control for Xbox not having an answer.
I know these people, and other pc channels, they wouldn't recommend consoles for eternity, they just hype the specs and after the launch of these consoles they shift the narrative to pc and it's superiority, I'm not saying they haven't experienced consoles, my perspective about consoles is just completely different than them, I'd appreciate anything that took part of my life.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Uh......why? Is this needed? I guess they want the high $$$ from the few people that will buy it.

Focus on making games Sony......................then a PS6 in a few years. Only a handful of games have been made exclusively for the PS5
Do you think their game developers are part of their hardware division?
Don't forget it won't be a free upgrade. Likely a new $70 version.
Ok, you've got me.
I hope it looks like this:

ps5-development-kit.jpg
Coolest design ever.

DF hates Sony and they also love and rely on console wars.

PS5 Pro is bad for DF in a lot of ways.

• Bad for Xbox and thus bad for the console war
  • More competitive against PC
  • Good for Sony

Alex is a PC fanboy and John is a sega/xbox fanboy.

You would think they would relish the opportunity to add to their videos the difference between PS5 and PS5 Pro, but realistically that isn't compelling. You either have/want a PS5 Pro or you don't. You don't really need much in terms of comparison between the two unless the Pro ends up significantly more expensive than anyone thinks. The offset from lost interest from people who buy PS5 Pro and no longer care about PS5 vs XSX will hurt their bottom line.

Ultimately, they're hoping the Pro will be a flop.

SHA

DF hates Sony and they also love and rely on console wars.

PS5 Pro is bad for DF in a lot of ways.

• Bad for Xbox and thus bad for the console war
  • More competitive against PC
  • Good for Sony

Alex is a PC fanboy and John is a sega/xbox fanboy.

You would think they would relish the opportunity to add to their videos the difference between PS5 and PS5 Pro, but realistically that isn't compelling. You either have/want a PS5 Pro or you don't. You don't really need much in terms of comparison between the two unless the Pro ends up significantly more expensive than anyone thinks. The offset from lost interest from people who buy PS5 Pro and no longer care about PS5 vs XSX will hurt their bottom line.

Ultimately, they're hoping the Pro will be a flop.
The matrix demo will set the narrative, especially when current gen games is about to unleash consoles full potential.

The matrix demo will set the narrative, especially when current gen games is about to unleash consoles full potential.

I'm not sure what you think the Matrix demo was, but I'd hardly even call it a demo. The most modern day equivalence to pre-rendered footage.

What I would like to see is base level consoles shifting more towards 30 fps (uncapped with vrr) and pro consoles aiming for 60 fps (again uncapped with vrr).

Sybrix

Hopefully it'll be out before GTA VI.

I'll be getting a PS5 for GTA VI regardless but would be nice to have the pro version.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm not sure what you think the Matrix demo was, but I'd hardly even call it a demo. The most modern day equivalence to pre-rendered footage.

What I would like to see is base level consoles shifting more towards 30 fps (uncapped with vrr) and pro consoles aiming for 60 fps (again uncapped with vrr).

What are you talking about? It was literally a demo lol. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but did you mean to say it's basically today's version of "pre-rendered" footage?

//DEVIL//

1 - because the ps5 pro is already weak compared to PC when it's not released even. So what's the point ? Especially in the eye of a PC gamer.
2- 500$ every 2 years ? Oh I wish if it was that low number lol.

SHA

The 3rd part of the demo what matters, 30 fps option with everything turned on will still be available on pro.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
1 - because the ps5 pro is already weak compared to PC when it's not released even. So what's the point ? Especially in the eye of a PC gamer.
For non PC gamer like us ,it matters alot. Of course it doesnt matter to the PC gamers, they spend like thousands on hardware for high performance gaming.

As a console gamer, the Pro version is the only way we can "upgrade" our hardware and play games at better frame rate.

PC gamers spend hundreds or thousands to upgrade their hardware, and console gamers like us spend less hundreds for PRO version.

Lets be real here, when it comes to upgrade, PC gamers most likely will upgrade to the higher end of the hardware, when you play games at 120 fps above on PC, 60 fps no longer enough. I have seen enough PCMR whining about 60 fps.
This is also the reason why i prefer to game on console and refuse to spend thousands on a gaming hardware, because i knew im going to spend more and more to maintain that minimum 120fps.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Sony to release a ‘Pro’ version of the PlayStation 5 this year after cutting outlook, analysts say​

Sony is likely to release a refreshed version of the PlayStation 5 this year, analysts told CNBC, after the company cut its forecast for sales of its flagship console.

The move would be designed to boost interest in the PlayStation 5 and offer a souped-up piece of hardware ready for release of Grand Theft Auto VI in 2025, one of this decade’s most hotly anticipated games, the analysts said.

Sony was not immediately available for comment when contacted by CNBC.

First released in November 2020, Sony’s PlayStation 5 is now more than 3 years old. The Japanese gaming giant cut its forecast last week for PS5 sales for the fiscal year ending in March from 25 million units to 21 million units. An executive said last week during the company’s earnings call that Sony is expecting a “gradual decline” in unit sales from the next fiscal year.

When this has happened in past console cycles, gaming firms have looked to bring out a refreshed piece of hardware to reinviograte sales. For example, Sony launched a “Pro” version of the PlayStation 4, the previous generation console, around three years after the PS4 was initially launched.

Analysts are now expecting a PlayStation 5 Pro from Sony.

“There seems to be a broad consensus in the game industry that Sony is indeed preparing a launch of a PS5 Pro in the second half of 2024,” Serkan Toto, CEO of Tokyo-based games consultancy Kantan Games, told CNBC.

“And Sony will want to make sure to have a great piece of hardware ready when GTA VI hits in 2025, a launch that will be a shot in the arm for the entire gaming industry.”

So far, Sony launched a slightly upgraded PS5 last year as well as a handheld console called the PlayStation Portal. But the PS5 Pro would likely be a much bigger upgrade.

Even as expectations of a new console rise, Sony is grappling with a big issue — that profit margins at its key gaming business are sitting near decade lows.

On the earnings call, Sony management said the aim for its gaming business is to “optimize sales with a greater emphasis on the balance with profits.”

George Jijiashvili, senior principal analyst at Omdia, said this could mean that even when the PS5 Pro comes out, Sony may not cut the price of the current PS5, as has been the trend in the past.

“Therefore, a scenario where Sony launches as PS5 Pro, but still experiences a declining year-on-year hardware sales is very much within the realms of possibility,” Jijiashvili said.

Source:

Does anyone believe them in that medium, currently?

What are you talking about? It was literally a demo lol. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but did you mean to say it's basically today's version of "pre-rendered" footage?

It's a demonstration but it isn't a game. There is little to no gameplay to be had.

It reminds me of pre-rendering that we saw in the pre-HD and early-HD era. It's fake and it'll be impossible to replicate that with more in depth gameplay with today's hardware.

//DEVIL//

For non PC gamer like us ,it matters alot. Of course it doesnt matter to the PC gamers, they spend like thousands on hardware for high performance gaming.

As a console gamer, the Pro version is the only way we can "upgrade" our hardware and play games at better frame rate.

PC gamers spend hundreds or thousands to upgrade their hardware, and console gamers like us spend less hundreds for PRO version.

Lets be real here, when it comes to upgrade, PC gamers most likely will upgrade to the higher end of the hardware, when you play games at 120 fps above on PC, 60 fps no longer enough. I have seen enough PCMR whining about 60 fps.
This is also the reason why i prefer to game on console and refuse to spend thousands on a gaming hardware, because i knew im going to spend more and more to maintain that minimum 120fps.
I am not sure why did you quote me. You just made a longer essay of what I said.

Dorfdad

Gold Member

My cycle exactly.

Don’t believe the spec leaks for the pro right now

Mobilemofo

They fooled me with the ps4 pro. They won't fool me again. Mid gen upgrades are not really worth it if you already have the base console... well that is until I see the spec bump officially and then I get excited and then I buy it and then yes... they got me again.
That's me. 1. Dismiss the upgrade out of hand. 2. Repeat reasons why pro upgrade is wank. 3. Keep a beady eye on any news. Remain dismissive. 4. Fuck ray tracing. 5. Think about the price of trading in my ps5 briefly. 6. Concede to probability of actually purchasing ps5 pro. 7. Call myself a dickhead, and a weak willed piss kidney. 8. Cry, and man up.

😅

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's a demonstration but it isn't a game. There is little to no gameplay to be had.

It reminds me of pre-rendering that we saw in the pre-HD and early-HD era. It's fake and it'll be impossible to replicate that with more in depth gameplay with today's hardware.

It's not fake. Nobody has just released a current-gen game with this level of detail yet. But it's 100% possible in a game.

Top Bottom