• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So What is Sony Doing For The PlayStation 6?

BlackTron

Remakes are on fire this generation, looking forward to Paper Mario?

I have no problem with remakes but it's a bit sad seeing people talking about PS6 years in advance and freaking out over a remake. Is that really all it takes?

As for TTYD, it's a welcome addition to the Switch library but it's not a game that benefits very much from new tech and I have the original so whatever lol. Mario RPG looks cool though, but not cooler than...a new Mario RPG game.

Remakes of old games are so championed due to massive gaps and holes left by new ones. Never were people so pumped up to play an old game on a new advanced hardware in the past.

nial

Gold Member
I have no problem with remakes but it's a bit sad seeing people talking about PS6 years in advance and freaking out over a remake. Is that really all it takes?

As for TTYD, it's a welcome addition to the Switch library but it's not a game that benefits very much from new tech and I have the original so whatever lol. Mario RPG looks cool though, but not cooler than...a new Mario RPG game.

Remakes of old games are so championed due to massive gaps and holes left by new ones. Never were people so pumped up to play an old game on a new advanced hardware in the past.
Fair enough, but I'm not freaking out over a Bloodborne remake, I genuinely think it will be a launch title for the PS6.

TrebleShot

Custom ARC chip with heavy reliance on in house upscaling and frame gen.

All digital, smaller form factor and lower power draw, most likely some sort of portable function.

Back compat via cloud, MS will be very similar.

Cheaper to produce at scale, sells for higher margin , could probably ship twice if not three times as many units whilst selling for a higher price as its new bleeding edge tech.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Continue pushing all chips towards GAAS.

Designing a console specifically around multiplayer is an exciting thought experiment and assuredly a wise resource investment.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
One thing I don't think they have to do is make any adjustments to their custom I/O tech.

Imagine doing a next gen console and one part doesn't need touching from the current console.

Hell, we already see from the MS leak their mid gen refreshes will make changes there.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
One thing I don't think they have to do is make any adjustments to their custom I/O tech.

Imagine doing a next gen console and one part doesn't need touching from the current console.

Hell, we already see from the MS leak their mid gen refreshes will make changes there.

I expect it'll just be the same setup / layout with a straight 2x speed by way of going from PCIE4 to PCIE5.

So 5.5GB/s RAW to ~11GB/s RAW.

Paired with 32GB of RAM instead of 16GB.

One area that will likely need to go higher (unless they go really heavy on cache), is RAM bandwidth. Ray Tracing & Path Tracing will likely be much bigger focuses with a more significant chunk of silicon dedicated to the tasks; asset management can be offset considerably with the fast Storage & I/O, but heavier use of RT/PT will require bandwidth.

It can be the most powerful machine ever, but if it's not developer friendly then it wouldn't matter.
No need to look any further than the XBOX.
So I'd say, the most important thing is that it's 100% catered to developers, so they want to make use of all its feature set and maybe even inspires them to innovate with new techniques or developer pipelines.
It would be great if this is possible not only due to the new hardware, but more importantly due to the provided dev tools and ease of use.

Basically have Mark Cerny at the helm again and focus even more on dev support and ease of use.

midnightAI

When I said hardware built around Nanite, I was talking about a console built around this Mark Cerny patent.

8fIA8ao.jpg
chkecbE.jpg
keLLv95.png

A TV screen divided in 4 for GPUs A, B, C, and D.
Tij4jeS.png

This patent also resembles RDNA4 imo.
Each AID (3 in total) houses a Command Processor, so it can at as 3 different GPUs or 1 GPU.
gcNe66E.png
That's nothing to do with Nanite though?

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Playstation 6 : fully digital (with possible external optionnal blu-ray for legacy), AI custom chip, 8K/60FPS+RT with AI reconstruction tech.
Playstation 6 Cloud : A cheaper SKU with barebones hardware limited to cloud gaming only.

midnightAI

Wait a minute.
So your telling me that hardware (multi-gpu hardware that better handles geometry) doesn't help with Nanite which is all about geometry?
No, that isn't what I am saying at all, it aids all rendering because it is using multiple CPU's to render different parts of the display, it has nothing to do with cluster based rendering or cluster culling or anything like that which would benefit nanite specifically.

Your original post mentioned hardware for nanite and I said no, too engine specific and they should only had hardware that would benefit all engines which the above does.

Loxus

No, that isn't what I am saying at all, it aids all rendering because it is using multiple CPU's to render different parts of the display, it has nothing to do with cluster based rendering or cluster culling or anything like that which would benefit nanite specifically.

Your original post mentioned hardware for nanite and I said no, too engine specific and they should only had hardware that would benefit all engines which the above does.
I think your reaching with this Nanite thing.

I never said hardware built for or to accelerate Nanite. I said hardware built around Nanite or something similar to Nanite.

Meaning a hardware level type Nanite so we can get Nanite on all engines.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
PlayStation will be a service

Maybe they'll have a streaming stick option

PS2 Classic would be neat

midnightAI

I think your reaching with this Nanite thing.

I never said hardware built for or to accelerate Nanite. I said hardware built around Nanite or something similar to Nanite.

Meaning a hardware level type Nanite so we can get Nanite on all engines.
But Nanite is just software, they could add it to all engines if they wanted to, it's no secret how they are doing it. Nanite or something like it just isn't suitable for everything (that's why you can mix nanite meshes with regular meshes) and not everyone will want to use it so to put that at a hardware level seems kinda pointless to me.

Now if you are talking about more advancement of the Geometry Engine and features like the cache scrubbers then I agree and that will happen anyway. I was just saying those things work with all rendering not just Nanite which is more specific in the way it works.

I used to be so fucking excited for Sony first party games but this gen is so fucking dull, it worst than Marvel taking over movie industry. If it wasn’t for 3rd party games I have no fucking reason to keep my PS5.

giphy.gif
What do you expected when games have long time development?

Longer time development means fewer new games coming

But Nanite is just software, they could add it to all engines if they wanted to, it's no secret how they are doing it. Nanite or something like it just isn't suitable for everything (that's why you can mix nanite meshes with regular meshes) and not everyone will want to use it so to put that at a hardware level seems kinda pointless to me.

Now if you are talking about more advancement of the Geometry Engine and features like the cache scrubbers then I agree and that will happen anyway. I was just saying those things work with all rendering not just Nanite which is more specific in the way it works.

I think the uptick in shader performance and improved memory sub-systems will be enough to give Nanite a boost since it's very compute heavy.

MT231290

Neo Member
Here is my prediction and my hope for the Playstation 6 i hope i won't be disappointed.

cpu: zen 6 or better 5 Ghz or more with alot of cache.

gpu: rdna 5 or better 3-3.5 Ghz clockspeed and pathtracing (AMD should be able to do pretty good pathtracing by 2028) and very realistic graphics, maybe not completely real life graphics but close.

memory: 24-32 GB gddr7 1-1.5 Tb/s Bandwidth and some ddr5 or ddr6 for the OS.

storage/ssd: 15-50 gb/s speed raw and or unraw 3.3 TB size

optical drive: we may see an increase over the 100 GB disc we currently have but there is also a chance the ps6 will be digital only depending on if a large majority of ps5/ps5 pro users only buy games digitally.
game developers could also significantly increase the size of their games without the limitations of a disc size for their games.

i also expect significant improvements in ai ml dl etc on ps6.

price: 500-700 usd.

release date: november 2028.

Last edited:

MT231290

Neo Member
Here is my prediction and my hope for the Playstation 6 i hope i won't be disappointed.

cpu: zen 6 or better 5 Ghz or more with alot of cache.

gpu: rdna 5 or better 3-3.5 Ghz clockspeed and pathtracing (AMD should be able to do pretty good pathtracing by 2028) and very realistic graphics, maybe not completely real life graphics but close.

memory: 24-32 GB gddr7 1-1.5 Tb/s Bandwidth and some ddr5 or ddr6 for the OS.

storage/ssd: 15-50 gb/s speed raw and or unraw 3.3 TB size

optical drive: we may see an increase over the 100 GB disc we currently have but there is also a chance the ps6 will be digital only depending on if a large majority of ps5/ps5 pro users only buy games digitally.
game developers could also significantly increase the size of their games without the limitations of a disc size for their games.

i also expect significant improvements in ai ml dl etc on ps6.

price: 500-700 usd.

release date: november 2028.
oh and to the gpu section i want to add that i also expect 4k smooth 60 fps in all games atleast in the first few years :)

I think we need to be careful when we say we want FPS and resolution requirements from these machines, it really comes down to the developers and how much they want to push the hardware.

For example. we all thought that PS5/SeriesX would be 4K 60 FPS machines, but then we get game engines which push the visuals to the extreme like UE5, and in such scenarios resolution and frame rate take a back seat.

Maybe game engine technology, and visual features will take a back seat next-gen so we may get more 60 FPS options, similar to what is happening in the current cross-fen period

Dedicated ML cores on a device where power consumption is less of a concern is a waste of die area.

AMD has the right approach, in terms of pushing shader core throughput and increasing clock speeds to lift the entire pipeline, including cache bandwidth. As well as providing per-cycle multiple-issuing of lower precision vector math (i.e. RPM).

ML computation is dense data. Latency will have a far bigger impact on ML performance than any specific execution core design. So to some extent, moving to a chipset-based GPU would be disadvantageous for ML performance. Better to go with a single monolithic GPU with lots of on-die cache and wide v-registers.

Data locality will be everything for the designs of future APUs in terms of maximizing performance across all desired dimensions.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It seems like the strength of the PS5 from a layman's perspective is in its management and efficiency of the pipeline and how data flows through the system as a whole. I expect that they will continue to work on this and that as the volume of data flowing increase it will have an even bigger payoff.

Remasters of every decent PS3, PS4 and PS5 games.. with an even smaller sample of PS6 games.

Looking forward to the 4th.. or is it 5th 'remaster' of TLOU 1, GTA V and Uncharted

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So, basically an RTX 4090?

They can manage 30 FPS at 4k with raytracing currently with some fidelity modes. And while the efficiency of AMD's Ray tracing does not hold a candle to Nvidia there's at least anouther generation of improvement for AMD since the PS5, throw in more bulk power and I can see games hitting that 60 FPS with ray tracing active.

As a PC player as well I understand that for the equivalent on PC I need much more expensive hardware, and it wouldn't be a 4090 because its AMD we would be looking at the 7900XTX which still struggles with this, but a man can dream, AMD's advancement in FSR helps with this as well.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

What difference does it make to you if the Japanese games are first-party or not? You're still getting Miyazaki, Ueda or Toyama games regardless of their status relative to the console manufacturer.

If you care even a little about fidelity and Japanese games are a must for you, then there is no question on whether or not you should get a PlayStation console, as they are the home of AAA Japanese games by default.
Thats like saying what difference does it make if Insomniac, Santa Monica or Naughty Dogs games are first party or not. Same as Nintendo or Xbox games. Your still gonna get it.
None of it matters but if your a fan of the platform and the games they use to produce it matters.

Perrott

Gold Member
Thats like saying what difference does it make if Insomniac, Santa Monica or Naughty Dogs games are first party or not. Same as Nintendo or Xbox games. Your still gonna get it.
None of it matters but if your a fan of the platform and the games they use to produce it matters.
The thing is that, unlike games from Insomniac, Santa Monica or Naughty Dog, the majority of the works from the Japan Studio in the last 15 years have barely moved the needle for any of the PlayStation platforms they've released on, with the exception of Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, The Last Guardian and Astro-Bot which at least were critical darlings.

But excluding Astro-Bot (which will live on through the newly-established Team Asobi), all of those critically acclaimed games were the result of second-party collaborations, which can be handled by XDEV Japan without the need of a proper Japan Studio and all the filler and unsuccessful games that used to come with them. That was my point.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

The thing is that, unlike games from Insomniac, Santa Monica or Naughty Dog, the majority of the works from the Japan Studio in the last 15 years have barely moved the needle for any of the PlayStation platforms they've released on, with the exception of Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, The Last Guardian and Astro-Bot which at least were critical darlings.

But excluding Astro-Bot (which will live on through the newly-established Team Asobi), all of those critically acclaimed games were the result of second-party collaborations, which can be handled by XDEV Japan without the need of a proper Japan Studio and all the filled that used to come with them. That was my point.
They still made lots of classics, including SOTN, they been a part of PS. I would of loved if they stayed. Way more than alot of studios they currently have or bought. For me its big one of the biggest issues and mistakes. I miss the JPS games and the smaller games from PS. It was a good mix. They dont all need to be AAA 10+ sales games

Is there such thing as physical only games today?

This isn't 2010
Tell that to Sony and Nintendo, who won't refund digital games after release. Can't trust them when they act like that. MS will refund digital games a few times per year though.

That means no physical discs for PS6 = no more PlayStation for me as I'm mostly physical on that platform.

Zathalus

In real world terms it would likely be around 6x in raster over the PS5. RT is a big unknown, maybe AMD gets really good, maybe not.

RickMasters

I don't think 2028 is really that set-in-stone. Aren't these plans a couple years old already?

Gen5 NVMe and ML cores for physics/AI/upscaling is already here.

I was thinking the same thing. We barely have mid cycle refreshes in our hands, so the idea that they would have next gen hardware finalised doesn’t make any sense. And more than likely there will be more developments and advances in terms of cpu, ram and software by the time they really should start nailing down what will power next gen hardware.

RickMasters

Added the leaked Next Gen Xbox specs -

CPU: ARM64 or AMD Zen 6 x86 (Chiplet-style design)GPU:
Custom AMD GPU or AMD Navi 5
NPU: Machine learning silicon
Features: Next-gen DirectX Ray Tracing, Dynamic Global Illumination, ML Super Resolution, Micropolygon Rendering Optimization, Extensibility Model for Faster Iteration and Innovation
Microsoft’s next console will feature either an ARM CPU, or an advanced AMD Zen 6 CPU with a chiplet-style design. The GPU will also be either a custom solution developed by
Microsoft and AMD or licensing the Navi 5 name. It’s likely that Microsoft would use an off-the-shelf Navi 5 GPU if the company chooses to go with ARM over x86.
I think these are a bit pointless. Far too early.

I also don’t see ARM CPUs appearing in next gen consoles. I think that would negativity effect backwards compatibility. Safe bet is they stick with AMD.

Would be cool if we could some kind of scaled down, threadrippers in these consoles but I don’t see that happening. But I’m hoping we start getting double digit cpu cores along with double or triple digit threads now.

RickMasters

Honestly, I don't think Sony goes all digital next generation. That is a big bold move, they will let someone else do it first. I imagine they will have some sort of physical drive available, either included or at a cost. Especially if MS were to go all digital, I could see Sony using physical games options as a PR selling point.
I think they might make the optional disc drive a day one thing, for PS6. By then I think the digital vs physical sales will heavily skew towards digital. It’s already gone that way but I think digital will make up even more of the sales in a few years time, regardless.

You may want to edit your text and bring "GPU" down to the second line so it easier to read.

I just want know what the hell Sony is doing the rest of this goddamn generation. I literally don't know of any further confirmed games outside of Wolverine.

Where is Naughty Dog, Where is Sucker Punch, Where is Bend, etc.

I'm so glad Spiderman 2 is going to be out of the way so we can hopefully start getting some real substance and hopefully new IP's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom