• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leak - Zen 5 is now in mass production, release in late 2024

winjer

Gold Member

AMD's next-generation Ryzen CPUs codenamed Granite Ridge and powered by the Zen 5 core architecture have reportedly entered mass production.

The next-gen AMD Ryzen CPU family will be a big one as it moves to a brand new Zen architecture. Codenamed "Granite Ridge", the next-gen CPUs will be powered by the Zen 5 core architecture and feature a range of new technologies including the brand-new architecture itself. These CPUs will be compatible with the AM5 desktop platform including the existing 600-series motherboards. AMD's official roadmap has already slated the next-gen Ryzen CPUs as a 2024 launch so we will expect to see the first lineup in the second half of 2024.

Now, as per hardware insider @Kepler_L2, we know that the AMD Ryzen "Granite Ridge" family is in mass production and it's up to AMD to decide if they want to rush in and unveil these chips by the next Computex following a launch in Q3 or move it a bit later to Q4. We have already seen lots of updates and optimizations happening in the background around the Zen 5 core architecture in various new patches and we have also seen alleged samples leak out earlier too.

PC builders buying an AM5 platform now are assured drop-in-compatibility with the next-gen AMD Ryzen CPUs. The company has committed to a 2025+ plan for its AM5 socket and as we have seen on the AM4 platform, AMD supports its desktop platforms more than Intel with a very strong 7-year+ dedication to its previous platform. The Zen 5 core architecture will also be coming to the next-gen Ryzen laptop family codenamed Strix Point which is also scheduled for a later 2025 CPU release plan.

Diy Cpu GIF by AMD

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Good. Now if only Nvidia can make sure a 2024-early 2025 release for 5000 series. I am targeting a new PC build in 2025.
BTW, AMD has said it wont be competing on the higher end of graphics card now on, right?

winjer

Gold Member
Good. Now if only Nvidia can make sure a 2024-early 2025 release for 5000 series. I am targeting a new PC build in 2025.
BTW, AMD has said it wont be competing on the higher end of graphics card now on, right?

That was just a rumor. No official confirmation from AMD.
But who knows. It would not be the first time that AMD skips the high end for a generation.

dave_d

Admittedly nobody is looking forward to how much they're probably going to charge. (Let's just hope the 5070 TI isn't $1000)

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’m assuming it’s like last time where the regular skus release in November and then next April the X3D skus release

Xyphie

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
That was just a rumor. No official confirmation from AMD.
But who knows. It would not be the first time that AMD skips the high end for a generation.

Admittedly nobody is looking forward to how much they're probably going to charge. (Let's just hope the 5070 TI isn't $1000)

The rumor from August 2023 is that high-end variants of RDNA4 are cancelled and only two low-end monolithic chips remain. AMD has since started adding RDNA4 code to their LLVM Github repository with only two RDNA4 GPUs (gfx1200, gfx1201) so it's probably true. My guess is these are slower than 7800/7700 XT and replace Navi 33 and Navi 24.

We're fucked.

I would've been OK with AMD skipping competition with 5090. x090 always costs too much.
But if AMD is skipping competing with 5080 or 5070, we are truly fucked and Nvidia is going to charge like $2000 for a 5080. :(

//DEVIL//

unless the Zen 5 3D processors are a massive upgrade and you will see a difference in 4k, I am out. the 7950x 3d i have is enough.

if ill get a performance boost in 4k then I would like to know more.

who gives a fuck what result ill be getting at FHD. who buy these expensive processors with high end cards then.... play at full hd ?

Last edited:

tusharngf

I would've been OK with AMD skipping competition with 5090. x090 always costs too much.
But if AMD is skipping competing with 5080 or 5070, we are truly fucked and Nvidia is going to charge like $2000 for a 5080. :(

AMD dropped the ball really hard. They could have got a power GPU on board but i think they know they can't compete with nvidia.

StereoVsn

For gaming we need better GPUs, current CPU are fine
I would love to see more cores on single CCD/chiplet with 3D cache. That is vs something like 7950x3D with only one CCD having that v-cache access that is prone to issues sometimes with scheduling.

A 10-12 core single CCD chip with v-cache would be pretty great. I just don’t see it happening. :(

StereoVsn

Nag, 5080 is going to be a value GPU and come in at $1,500… 😱😥😭

AMD dropping the ball and Intel ramping up at a fairly slow pace mean Jensen can do whatever the hell he wants.

OverHeat

« generous god »
unless the Zen 5 3D processors are a massive upgrade and you will see a different in 4k, I am out. the 7950x 3d i have is enough.

who gives a fuck what result ill be getting at FHD. who buy these expensive processors with high end cards then.... play at full hd ?
Ultrawide QHD 😂

MikeM

The rumor from August 2023 is that high-end variants of RDNA4 are cancelled and only two low-end monolithic chips remain. AMD has since started adding RDNA4 code to their LLVM Github repository with only two RDNA4 GPUs (gfx1200, gfx1201) so it's probably true. My guess is these are slower than 7800/7700 XT and replace Navi 33 and Navi 24.
Why even bother?
Current consoles will be 3 generations behind when Zen5 ships and we are expected to be relying on Zen2 in the current boxes for at least another 3 years!

The 7-8 year cycle is simply not good enough and it’s holding back game development.
Agreed. Bring back 4-5 year console cycles.

nikos

This is one of the main reasons I recently got a 7800X3D. The next CPU upgrade will be very easy since it's on the same chipset.

T4keD0wN

For gaming we need better GPUs, current CPU are fine
IPC gains are always welcome, best thing we have to combat poor multithreading.
Current consoles will be 3 generations behind when Zen5 ships and we are expected to be relying on Zen2 in the current boxes for at least another 3 years!

The 7-8 year cycle is simply not good enough and it’s holding back game development.
Quite the opposite, if there is anything holding anything back its the software (game specifically) developers and the tools that are available to them holding back zen2 cpus from being fully utilised as evidenced by games hitting cpu bound scenarios while having low cpu usage.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Agreed. Bring back 4-5 year console cycles.
I don't know how well that will work when game development cycles are about that long. You'll end up with entire generations of cross-gen projects rather than games tailor made for the high end, so they'll still end up being held back by old hardware, maybe even two generations of hardware if it's difficult to pin down what gen your audience is on.

MikeM

I don't know how well that will work when game development cycles are about that long. You'll end up with entire generations of cross-gen projects rather than games tailor made for the high end, so they'll still end up being held back by old hardware, maybe even two generations of hardware if it's difficult to pin down what gen your audience is on.
Good point however consoles are becoming more like PCs. I’m sure they can learn to scale their games if they haven’t already.

AzekZero

Neo Member
I really wanted to upgrade my AM4 rig from a 5600X to a 5800X3D, but I couldn't justify the upgrade. Was too much for too little.

My plan now is to keep the AM4 system as a secondary PC, take out the 7900XTX and put that into a new AM5 PC. Whether I roll with Zen4 or Zen5 depends on how much Zen4 gets discounted.

hinch7

unless the Zen 5 3D processors are a massive upgrade and you will see a difference in 4k, I am out. the 7950x 3d i have is enough.

I doubt anyone with a high end card plays at 1080P but I'd imagine a lot will want faster CPU's for competitive play at 1440P. We've got a whole slew of 240hz to 480hz oled monitors releasing soon and even with a 4090 you'd be hard pressed to push well over 240fps in games like MW3/WZ at 1440P native.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

Depends on what GPU you have I guess. There still isn't a CPU in existence that doesn't bottleneck the RTX 4090 @4k iirc.

SolidQ

My guess is these are slower than 7800/7700 XT and replace Navi 33 and Navi 24
Wrong. N48 will be faster than 7800XT, N44 is slower than 7800XT. If all things going to right, look at vibes Radeon 7 vs 5700XT

AMD dropped the ball really hard
No, because HALO product very complex to make. Look at MI300, and then move to Graphic card, which even more complex. They're making for you 2-3k$ GPU RDNA5

Last edited:

samoilaaa

i have an 3900x and i dont plan to upgrade for another 3-4 years considering that i dont need high fps , 60 fps is enough

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Truthfully, I'm going to whatever piece of shit is on AM5 as I ended up really future proofing my rig and is the first one in quite a bit of time that I'm literally just going to upgrade CPUs from. I even went and got the son of a bitch high end. Am five motherboard. Let us pray.

What a terrible idea. The best games of each past gen was released at the end of the gen, when the devs finally figured out stuff, abandoned or overhauled old tools of previous gens and could really dig into their ideas, finalize the prototypes with the given power unleashed. Shorter cycles would put games into an everlasting state of cross gen. No game truly be made and optimized just for one target hw. Some teams skipping an entire gen with current excessive dev times.

luca_29_bg

I have a 7950x3d and i play at 60 fps maximum, so i should be fine for looooooooooong time! An i7 860 oc 3,7 ghz, my previous pc bought in 2010, it's still capable to play many game released these latest years, even if not at 60 fps stable and it was a quad core....so...:)

Last edited:

rnlval

AMD dropped the ball really hard. They could have got a power GPU on board but i think they know they can't compete with nvidia.

icGGqWO.png

Note why CES 2024's discrete GPU-equipped laptops did not show mobile Radeon RX 7000 series GPUs. Hint: Apple's pref/watt RT has beaten AMD's RT.

AMD's dropping the ball on RT has affected the productivity apps market.

Top Bottom