• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD might be preparing the Ryzen 7 5700X3D & Ryzen 5 5500X3D

winjer

Gold Member

According to the latest leak, AMD is preparing two brand new AM4 Desktop CPUs, the Ryzen 7 5700X3D and the Ryzen 5 5500X3D, both of which will offer 3D V-Cache technologies and offer more choices to the gaming audiences on the older platform.

Coming to the specifications, we first have the AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D which will be a slightly toned-down version of the Ryzen 7 5800X3D with the same 8 cores, 16 threads but lower clock speeds of 3.0 GHz (Base) and 4.1 GHz (Boost). This chip will offer 96 MB of L3 cache and retain the same 105-watt TDP. As for the Ryzen 5 5500X3D, you are getting 6 cores, 12 threads, a base clock of 3.0 GHz, boost clocks of up to 4.0 GHz, and the same 96 MB of L3 cache.

The clock speeds for both chips are obviously going to be lower than the non-X3D parts since the first-gen 3D V-Cache chip had more restricted power and thermal limits than the 2nd Gen Ryzen 7000 CPUs which went on to offer some tuning capabilities. The 5700X3D is around 400 MHz lower clocked versus the 5800X3D while the 5500X3D is 300 MHz slower in terms of base and 400 MHz slower in terms of boost frequencies.

I bet they are still in limited quantities, like the 5600X3D. And probably binned chips from the 5800X3D, that don't have the full core count or can't reach the same clocks.

Tsaki

Strange that they still give such support for the platform, but I guess there are so many AM4 systems out there that it's a good opportunity to continue making money out of it. It's not like DDR5 gives that much of an improvement

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
This is great tbh. There's lots of life still in AM4 and ddr4 systems.

Great news for my job.

This! chipset/platform isn't even outdated at all. The difference between AM4/DDR4 and AM5/DDR5 isn't that huge. Both can still life next to each other. I'm running AM4 X570 and 5800X3D and i see no reason yet to completely build something new, just to have AM5 and DDR5. I only want to replace my GPU, but at the level of CPU, Memory and motherboard, im still good for another 1.5 years.

My goal is to build something new around the end of 2024 or in 2025.

Last edited:
I'm a bit out the loop here. If someone can help me out here I'd much appreciate it. I'm sitting on a 5600x. Why would I want one of these cpus over the 5800x3d if I was to upgrade? And will I really feel much gain here or will I be wanting an AM5 build in 18 months time?

I kind of want a whole new chassis anyway. Cooling seems fucked in my rig currently.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I'm a bit out the loop here. If someone can help me out here I'd much appreciate it. I'm sitting on a 5600x. Why would I want one of these cpus over the 5800x3d if I was to upgrade? And will I really feel much gain here or will I be wanting an AM5 build in 18 months time?

I kind of want a whole new chassis anyway. Cooling seems fucked in my rig currently.

Same reason you got a 5600x instead of a 5700x or 5900x.

Price +use case.
If you don't need the cores or clocks speed buy the cheaper chip.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
AM4 is still a relevant and viable platform. Plus, the more chips with 3D cache out there, the more data they can collect to make improvements.

SABRE220

Thats good news for the platform, gotta give credit to amd for supporting the platform.

I still dont know why sony couldn't use a 5500x3d/5600x3d in the ps5 pro hell even a 5600x....amd clearly has leftover chips and the yields are very mature. I'm pretty sure they should be able to get a good deal while maintaining the die budget because the cpus are getting battered in recent games.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

So who's ever going to buy non 3D chipsets from now on for AMD CPUs? Unless you can't contain the need to buy the non 3D series as it launches first, I don't see the point. Why does AMD just not go full 3D lineup from now on?

So who's ever going to buy non 3D chipsets from now on for AMD CPUs? Unless you can't contain the need to buy the non 3D series as it launches first, I don't see the point. Why does AMD just not go full 3D lineup from now on?

the 7950 non 3d version is better for productivity and has higher clock speeds with lower temperatures. So basically anyone who doesn't game.

Allandor

Around 5-10% slower in games, but 20% cheaper than the 5800X3D.
Not a bad deal for anyone in the AM4 platform.
Also this is more or less always the CPU limit. With higher res you won't be CPU limited in the near future (well there are always exceptions to the this).

Top Bottom