• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls 2nd Encore Roars Onto PS Vita April 5

Ravidrath

Pretty sure the dynamic lighting FX are gone, the characters arent lit by the hitsparks anymore.

Yeah, we really tried to keep that, but it's pretty expensive on the Vita.

The main challenges with the Vita were the memory and shaders, and removing the lighting helped with the shader problem a lot. Like, I seriously think we got 15-20 FPS back from that alone.

i-Jest

I await my free Vita game.

Thanks for putting in the time and effort to make this release a complete experience instead of a glitchy mess we expect some games to be day 1. The level of transparency we were getting in the SG official thread was a refreshing experience to say the least. The way you guys handled the DLC didn't make consumers feel cheated, the content actually felt like an additional experience worth paying for, if you didn't catch it during the free period. I enjoy the definitive version on PS4 with all the digital goodies included.

Once again, thank you Lab Zero for all the effort you put into the project. The Skull Girls curse didn't make it easy, that's for damn sure. I look forward to your future projects and the eventual Skull Girls sequel. Best of luck in what comes next.

Numb

I assume it's the same price as the PS4 version, because the game is cross-buy. And if you already own the PS4 version you can download the upcoming Vita version for free.

Vita version is free if i already got the ps4 version?
nice

joe2187

Banned
Game works great, looks great!

plays smooth as well. Tried some online, finished most of the tutorials and played some training. Solid port and the controls are adapted well. Reminds me of how UMVC3 plays on Vita. Thank god I can turn the left stick off since I sometimes drift my thumb over it on occasion and fuck up my inputs.

Some screens.

U2p3DwP.jpg
fLj3PJD.jpg

URWSbtc.jpg
qNfHSge.jpg

SZCy1L2.jpg

I know what I'm doing tonight! I'm more of a arcade stick player but seeing as mines broke recently, I can start practicing gamepad on Vita.

Ogawa-san

Loadings aren't bad at all, 15s for a 1x1. I tried the worst case scenario on a 3x3 fight with 6 different characters and it took 35s to load. It's a small miracle for a Vita game with such awesome, uncompromised sprites.

My only complaint is that the UI is kind of blurry, feels like I'm playing it through RP. It's hard to see button prompts at the trials.

Does anyone know what the file size is for this? The web store seems to make games look larger than what they actually require, and the Vita store doesn't mention the size at all.

Ravidrath

Yowza, dem MK/Injustice sizes. Good thing I've got a 16GB card. It's too bad though, most fighting games are so big. I'd like to have them all on my Vita at once but I don't have enough room.

Yeah, it's actually bigger than the PS4 and PS3 versions.

The PS3 and PS4 support real-time file compression and the Vita doesn't, and it makes a big difference.

How are the controls? It seems like this game would be harder to port than stuff like Blazblue since it has six attack buttons. I have the game on PC, but wouldn't mind double dipping for trips.

joe2187

Banned
How are the controls? It seems like this game would be harder to port than stuff like Blazblue since it has six attack buttons. I have the game on PC, but wouldn't mind double dipping for trips.

skullgirls_controller.png

Also fully customizable like any Fighting game.

Ravidrath

Just in case people are wondering...

There's an upper limit on the brightness on the Vita when running Skullgirls, which is out of our control.

The Vita has three power modes: A, B and C.

A gives slower CPU speed, with Wi-Fi and full brightness.

B gives faster CPU speed, with no Wi-Fu and full brightness.

C gives faster CPU speed, with Wi-Fi and reduced brightness.
Since you can play Skullgirls online and we need the extra CPU speed, Mode C was on only option.

When is the lobby patch expected? I already bought the game, but can't afford the GB I install it, so I'm waiting on the "limited run" to actually play. I don't mind waiting, I just like to have an idea.

Ravidrath

When is the lobby patch expected? I already bought the game, but can't afford the GB I install it, so I'm waiting on the "limited run" to actually play. I don't mind waiting, I just like to have an idea.

Really hard to say.

The functionality is working for the most part now, but it still needs to be tested.

The biggest hurdle, really, is releasing it since it involves 9 patches released across three territories on three platforms from three different publishers.

ZoronMaro

Yeah, it's actually bigger than the PS4 and PS3 versions.

The PS3 and PS4 support real-time file compression and the Vita doesn't, and it makes a big difference.

At least it's not 4.5gb (I've never seen PSN make a mistake like that, but I'm not surprised at all), I think under the 3gb mark is still reasonable and I expected it to be above that. I had to delete some stuff to make room on my 8gb card, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

I started the download when I left home and I can't wait to get home and sink my teeth into this. Big ups again to all Lab Zero for bringing this.

OmegaZero

Yeah, we really tried to keep that, but it's pretty expensive on the Vita.

The main challenges with the Vita were the memory and shaders, and removing the lighting helped with the shader problem a lot. Like, I seriously think we got 15-20 FPS back from that alone.

Thanks for all of your replies in this thread. It's always nice getting some insight on the challenges of porting games to my favorite handheld!

If anyone wants some quick impressions I will agree with Ogawa-san in that the HUD assets seem to be poorly scaled down. Lots of artifacts and a lot of the smaller text is barely readable. Other then that the port is great. It plays smooth, has all the options you'd expect and looks fine. There are some visual niggles (Parasoul for example has a ton of transparent parts in her sprites that shouldn't be see-through like her umbrella handle and gun) but it's basically free since I got the PS4 version so I can't really complain.

EDIT: Load times don't seem much worse then most of the Vita fighting game ports I've played. Worst I've had was like 20 seconds.

Ravidrath

There are some visual niggles (Parasoul for example has a ton of transparent parts in her sprites that shouldn't be see-through like her umbrella handle and gun) but it's basically free since I got the PS4 version so I can't really complain.

Surprised this slipped by us, and we're already looking into the issue to fix it in the lobby patch.

Shizuka

That file size is something Sony has been doing with Vita late ports, that's the size for both Vita and PS4 versions.

I wasn't able to get Valentine's vial projectiles working in the trial mode; you can load one up, but throwing it just yields the generic shuriken instead of the vial. Is anyone else experiencing this? Great port, by the way.

OmegaZero

Surprised this slipped by us, and we're already looking into the issue to fix it in the lobby patch.

Awesome to hear! I'm used to devs only patching game-breaking bugs when it comes to Vita ports so it's refreshing to see some attention on the minor things.

I wasn't able to get Valentine's vial projectiles working in the trial mode; you can load one up, but throwing it just yields the generic shuriken instead of the vial. Is anyone else experiencing this? Great port, by the way.

Have you tried holding down the attack button as you throw the shuriken?

I am having an awesome time with the port, feels very good. Only issue is the HUD blurriness and menu fidelity, otherwise fantastic port of an incredible game.

Awesome to hear! I'm used to devs only patching game-breaking bugs when it comes to Vita ports so it's refreshing to see some attention on the minor things.

Have you tried holding down the attack button as you throw the shuriken?

Yeah, it doesn't seem to work at all; the shuriken comes out every time.

OmegaZero

Yeah, it doesn't seem to work at all; the shuriken comes out every time.

Ah you're right. For some reason trying to use Flew Shot doesn't work for me in Valentine's second trial, no matter what punch button I use. It always comes out as Dead Cross just as you said.

OmegaZero

It won't actually let you throw the syringe until the exact spot in the combo.

Well that explains it. I was too busy mucking around to bother actually trying the trial combo lol.
Hopefully that's Tetsuo's problem but it seems to be working fine for me.

co1onel

Is the game running at subnative res? I'm pretty disappointed with the IQ, it looks super blurry. Some of the text is practically unreadable. Plays great though.

CupONoodos

Neo Member
Picked this up along with Megaman Legends 2 today. Honestly wanted to get into Skullgirls for awhile, but after reading this thread I decided to take the plunge after hearing all the great feedback and work put into this version so why the hell not. Played for about an hour and can happily say that I'm really satisfied with the purchase! Plays and looks great and a great addition to my Vita library. Hope people will buy the Vita version to support the effort to make it because you can really see the care that went into creating this version.

OmegaZero

So I don't know if anyone else has played through a story chapter yet but is the final boss's voice super quiet for anyone else? I can barely hear what she's saying in comparison to everything else.

Is the game running at subnative res? I'm pretty disappointed with the IQ, it looks super blurry. Some of the text is practically unreadable. Plays great though.

Pretty sure it's just the HUD, the sprites seem fine.

blackflag

This thing is taking forever to download tonight. Not even going to get to try it. Usually my vita and ps4 are pretty quick.

OmegaZero

Sprites look blurry too. Compare it to something like blazblue. Even without AA, blazblue still looks significantly cleaner.

That's probably because unlike Blazblue (which iirc uses the arcade sprites), the sprites here are scaled down from the original sprites. So any zooming will result in artifacts.
The sprites have a TON of animation frames so I'm not surprised they had to cut back some things,

Ravidrath

This was a really tough port, because we had about half the memory of the PS3 version to work with, using all the same assets.

The PS3 version works at all because we can easily shuffle animations between the RAM and VRAM. And while the Vita has both, the bus between them is too slow to keep a good framerate while doing that shuffling.

That means everything had to fit into main RAM, and of course visual sacrifices had to be made for that.

The way we composite our characters turned out to be pretty GPU-intensive, too, and as a result we didn't have the performance leftover to filter the screen.

Top Bottom