• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Hagi

New X-Men Omnibus reprint releasing this fall. sweet

Cool it's not something I've ever read. I'm slowly working my way through the first Uncanny X-men Omnibus so hopefully the second volume gets a reprint sometime soon because it's out of print right now.

TheFlow

Banned
Cool it's not something I've ever read. I'm slowly working my way through the first Uncanny X-men Omnibus so hopefully the second volume gets a reprint sometime soon because it's out of print right now.

Second volume releases a month after the New X men omnibus.

I am not in a rush to pick them up even though I know Marvel Omnibus sell out like hot cakes.

The only marvel omnibus that would make me buy day one is some of those old Thor reprints

Hagi

And uncanny X-men vol 2 third printing.

Well shit there's something to look forward to.

Second volume releases a month after the New X men omnibus.

I am not in a rush to pick them up even though I know Marvel Omnibus sell out like hot cakes.

The only marvel omnibus that would make me buy day one is some of those old Thor reprints

I wouldn't mind picking up Fantastic Four or even Spider-Man at some point but for now I'm sticking with the Claremont run on Uncanny.

TheFlow

Banned
Spider-Man #2-3

I loved Miles interactions with the pro heroes and the cute moment he had with Ms.Marvel.

His grandma was fucking annoying though, glad she is gone for a bit.

4/5

TheFlow

Banned
If they get Lupita as well, the cast will be ridiculously good.
they already did
michael_b._jordan_and_lupita_nyongo_chadwick_boseman_split.jpg

Only good news lately is that BP movie news. My favorite Mexican, Lupita (yes, we are claiming here), getting in there.

It's not. Palliative care means they are just trying to address the symptoms and stress and give him the best quality of life possible, not attempting to cure the cancer.
well, fuck. my father in law has had cancer three times in addition to getting west nile and somehow has managed to pull through. lets hope for similar fortune

We didn't deserve Lee Garbett. We didn't treasure him enough.

Jesus fucking christ wtf is this. who decided they should fucking ink in ms paint

Marvel Chronological Reading Order Update - 1000 Issue Special!

Avengers

There have been 64 issues of The Avengers so far, and I've enjoyed most of them. Roy Thomas shines when writing The Avengers, and for me stood out as the first comic to have a grander sense of continuity. Events within the comic carried over issue to issue, and had many recalls, but they also bled out into other comics and took events in too. It made the world feel alive, which I wasn't really expecting.
I always imaged that continuity was something that happened many years down the line in comics (for some reason). Yet, here it is alive and well in the 60s - thanks Roy Thomas.

As I'm talking about surprises, I think the biggest surprise I had was that Rick freaking Jones should be credited with forming the Avengers. Rick Jones. Rick Jones of the Teen Brigade. Rick. Jones. Hulk's #1 Fan.

It's strange as as much as I like the Avengers for it's continuity it's so loose when it comes to changes. Change happens A LOT in the Avengers line. In 64 issues I think they've introduced something like 9 different members of the team.

- Ant-Man
- Iron Man
- Hulk
- Thor
- Wasp

- Captain America
- Hawkeye
- Scarlet Witch
- Quicksilver

- Black Panther
- Vision

OH and Hercules! So what's that... 12 different members of the Avengers, and I'm not even going to try and think of the different combinations of those 12 there's been so far.

Also.. let's talk about Hank Pym... I mean Ant-Man, sorry Giant Man, I meant Goliath, oh wait he wants to be called Ant-Man again... nope back to Giant Man. Oh wait... Yellow Jacket now. Holy shit, who are you already?! If this guy doesn't have a freaking breakdown I'll be surprised. Then there's the whole trick everyone into thinking Yellow Jacket is someone else moment because... yes he had a mental breakdown and forgot who he was, but then he remembered he was Hank Pym and hahaha it'll be really funny if I marry Janet pretending to be someone else. Boy that'll fool all the other Avengers, oh what a laugh! And oh yeah fellas, I totally forgot I designed a killer robot one lunch time.

Oh ffs now Hawkeye is Goliath... of course.

It's odd when I think about the Avengers in terms of storylines, as there's not a lot of huge standout storylines. The only one I can say I can remember and enjoyed from the first 10 years or so was a brief crossover with the X-Men (which is possibly the only time the X-Men have been worthwhile). This saw the Avengers and X-Men have a little run-in over Magneto and his EVIL Brotherhood of Mutants.
Now that I really think about it this storyline drove home what really makes the Avenger comics worthwhile - continued character development. For many issues Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver had bounced between good and evil, as they weighed over the moral issue of being a mutant. It's worked so well and it's often called back upon too.

Overall Avengers is a great character driven ensemble of a comic, which is odd when you think about all the fighting power it has. I mean that's not to say there aren't many issues with huge fights and battles, as there are!

However, be warned if you want to join the Avengers they'll all fight you...

Captain America

If I'm honest I can probably do without Captain America as a standalone comic, as he never really develops beyond being depressed about the death of Bucky. He even goes as far as to allow Rick Jones (Yes... Rick freaking Jones) become Bucky v2. When he's not moping over Bucky's death, he's fretting about his secret identity being public putting the people he loves in danger - he loves Agent 13.

His little run in with Zemo in the early issues was a good read, and it was fun to read his introduction and team up with Black Panther. Their battle was drawn and written in such a way it really put Panther over strongly.

Overall Captain America has been a little strange and often too random. There's far too many flashback issues, but the last 2 issues by Jim Steranko have been wonderful in both art and story (I also believe they were the last issues Steranko did for Marvel?).

Fantastic Four

93 issues of Fantastic Four and for the most part they've all been really good. I've been most surprised by the FF as going into the reading order they were probably my least liked of all the heroes. I'll admit that this was largely based on the terrible cartoon from the early 90s and the movie from 2005 or so. I just didn't get it. I didn't understand why they were so important - now I do.

There aren't many issues Fantastic Four issues in the 60s that aren't Cosmic Events or leading up to something major. They're one of the largely consistent comics in the Reading Order and I've enjoyed them. They've introduced the InHumans, Silver Surfer, Galactus, The Watcher, The Skrulls, Dr. Doom, The Negative Zone, Him and most recently they've just gave birth to Franklin Richards (who I've been told is crazy over powered or something). They even introduced everyone's new favourite hero Black Panther too!
Frankly (HA) it feels like there's never a dull moment when a FF issues pops up in the order.

That's not to say that FF has been without it's issues, mainly suffering from a sign of the times writing towards women. Reed's attitude towards Sue Storm is shocking at times, at one point she's pretty much told to get back in the kitchen.
The forced love triangle between The Thing, Silver Surfer and Alicia was a bit odd, and I could have done without it. Likewise the inconsistent but seemingly randomly thrown in moments when The Thing goes into self pity mode over the way he looks. Which brings me on to...
Reed Richards the most self centered arsehole in the galaxy. I can't stand him and I can't tell if this is by design or not. Not just due to the aforementioned treatment of Sue Storm, but he couldn't give a shit about anyone else. He's supposed to be finding a way to transform Ben back to human form, and seemingly gets closer each time, but at the same time it comes across like he couldn't care less due to his attempts being so infrequent.

Johnny Storm I have no real opinion on. He's there and does stuff, even if his relationship with Crystal from the InHumans happened so suddenly.

One of the lasting things I've read so far in Fantastic Four was from an earlier issue with a fight between The Hulk and The Thing. It was so well done and, perhaps this is the wrestling fan in me, both guys came out looking strong. I had no idea The Thing was so though, certainly not on Hulk levels (I guess that changes over the years). Now that I've mentioned big ol' Green Skin...

HULK

Poor 60's Hulk always being tricked into doing other people's bidding. That's pretty much every issue at the moment. However there is a little hint of something deeper with some of the panels showing Hulk just wanting peace, and even in the 60s there's been several panels where Hulk looks longingly into space and the stars wondering if there's a planet for the Hulk where Men won't hunt him...

The Hulk is my guilty pleasure, so I've enjoyed each issue even though it's basically just Hulk being tricked into fighting for a bad guy. Or Hulk mistakenly being blamed for destruction. Also he talks way too much in these early issues.

However, having said all of that seeing The Hulk smash through Midgard was awesome.

Iron Man

I think the worst thing to happen to Iron Man was getting his own comic line. Actually having said that even the Tales to Astonish run was rather poor with constant Communist of the Week bad guy. The bonus was that it was only 10 pages or so.

I WANT to like Iron Man, badly. As I'm a huge fan of movie Iron Man/Tony Stark, but 60s Iron Man has been a really slow start and it hasn't age well at all. Not only because of the aforementioned Communism threats, or the hideously drawn Red China bad guys. It suffers from antiquated technology in a comic line that relies on technology. The number of times Iron Man has twiddled a transistor to gain super extra power, or plugged himself in with his power cable to dodge death is stupid. Although I'm a big fan of Iron Man's rollerskate boots.

There's been no real character development outside of the interesting love triangle between Happy, Pepper & Stark. I think this is the one love triangle I don't mind (and there's A LOT of them in 60s Marvel...). It all comes to point when Happy saves Iron Man, and gets seriously hurt in the process... and turns into the Freak. Yes. The Freak. Not to worry though as seemingly this is Pepper's thing! Happy is Happy.

Thankfully, Iron Man has took an interesting twist lately with The Mandarian discovering Tony Stark was Iron Man
only for Stark to claim it was a LMD...

Spider-Man

If Fantastic Four is the Cosmic backbone of the Marvel Universe, Spider-Man has to be the everyday backbone. Sure it doesn't introduce any hugely super important characters to the Marvel Unvierse, but it's the most consistently good line so far in the reading order. Whenever a Spider-Man comic pops up in the order, I'm happy.

Stan Lee shines here putting over a likeable teenage character in Peter Parker. You care about him and his troubles. Not just his superhero issues, but his everyday problems - love, school, health, etc.

All I can say is Spider-Man is essential reading.

Others

Daredevil and X-Men have been beyond pointless over the last 1000 issues. I can probably count on one hand how many issues have been worthwhile.

Likewise I could have done without Thor, I just don't get him. He's far too pompous and arrogant to like. Also his moping over Jane is grating, as is the stupid 60 second rule over the freaking hammer since it's never adhered too.

Nick Fury and the Agents of SHIELD has been a huge surprise to me, probably due to Jim Steranko (who has quickly become my favourite Marvel Artist). It's odd seeing 616 Fury, as I'm so used to Ultimate/Movie Fury. I have no real idea where 616 Fury is going to go, and SHIELD isn't the SHIELD I know it to be yet.

Namor the Sub-Mariner started off so well, but quickly lost it's direction.

Captain Marvel has been an interesting read, but again a forced love triangle is getting in the way.

Silver Surfer feels pointless at the moment, and it's like a reskinned Hulk story most of the time since he's always mistakenly blamed for destruction.

Overall it's been an interesting experience reading these older issues. I've mainly discovered an appreciation for artists and writers compared to when I first started and never really cared. I know now I'm in for a treat when Jim Steranko arrives (who sadly leaves Marvel around this time), or if Roy Thomas is writing Avengers.
I'm not sure I'd recommend anyone else to read through all the issues Chronologically as there's so much rubbish, and so many Robots of Week bad guys. Likewise the writing is very dated, and panels are REALLY text heavy at times too.
I can see now why there are essential collections covering this period of time, and in hindsight I think I could have read those and still come away with the same appreciation and experience I have now.

My recommendation for anyone else would be to simply read Fantastic Four and Spider-Man from this time in Marvel (1960-70) as it's easily their best.

You'll see worse in your Marvel reading quest...a lot worse.

For the most part it's been good, and I can forgive it any bad art for being hampered by the times (maybe). However, yeah I've seen a few horror shows already!

the same Marvel that puslishes Squirrel Girl so why are you surprised?

I've never read a Squirrel Girl book, and I have many years until I ever will. I'm sure that's like a Baby's First Furry book anyway.

if Michael B Jordan plays a character named Man-Ape, its time to cancel the MCU

haha I've just read his debut and yeah it was dumb even back then.

TheFlow

Banned
Man ape would look cool on screen but it is not the right time.

_1452728552.jpg

bring back this guy with some cool henchmen and the man ape tribe helping him

SG's art is perfectly in line with the tone of the book, tho.

Art like the one in that Winter Bro panel would make almost perfect sense if the book pursued a humoristic tone (except for his face, ffs what is that).

I've never read a Squirrel Girl book, and I have many years until I ever will. I'm sure that's like a Baby's First Furry book anyway.

More like baby's first tumblr. damn good book, tbqh

Hagi

Surely if they went with Man-Ape they would just call him M'Baku. I don't really know any BP villains apart from him, Klaw and the priest with the puppet hand.

Namor is a mutant?!

I wonder who Jordan is going to play. I was assuming Man-ape but, he's young enough to play many a role. I was thinking Bill Foster but i'm sure he's reserved for an Ant-man sequel.

Maybe Killmonger?

and I finally break my ignore button cherry, congratulations I guess

I didn't realise GAF let you ignore yourself...

TheFlow

Banned
Surely if they went with Man-Ape they would just call him M'Baku. I don't really know any BP villains apart from him, Klaw and the priest with the puppet hand.

yea that would be best.

M'Baku needs to be swole though. none of that skinny shit

diaspora

That's be dope, now I was thinking White Wolf or maybe someone who is apart of Ross's entourage.

If Civil War is Wakanda on the public stage, than Black Panter is about it's internal Affairs.

It could be about political resistance to hosting the secret Avengers or a sleeper Hydra agent Bucky.

Hagi

yea that would be best.

M'Baku needs to be swole though. none of that skinny shit

He is fit as fuck in Creed.

...you actually didn't know? Atlanteans b blue

"Michael B. Jordan to play a villain originally called Man-Ape in black panther. Marvel renames it M'baku"

the internet would explode with rage all the same

Haha yeah I guess there's no escaping criticism with that character.

Top Bottom