• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hospital blues! Please reccomend me a game.

So after the stress from the doom patch not fixing my stuttering issues I had a really bad bad case of stomach spasms. Now I am sitting in the hospital with acute pancreatitis hopped up on Dilaudid hoping and praying it isn't necrotic.

I'm expected to be in here for a while apparently so my wife dug up my old OG surface pro and brought it to me and I was wondering if any kind gaffers knew of any good games I could play on it to help pass the time and distract me from this potentially very serious situation. Trying not to get depressed and trying to stay strong for my family.

EDIT: My wife is letting me use her Lenovo Yoga 900 i7 now. So anything that would work with that.

Edit: I'm home now.

data

Civilization 5?

Possibly the Shadowrun games?

E: Looking at your steam profile, there's quite a few games there you could play for a while.

You could try getting into Crusader Kings 2, though I'm not sure how it'd run.

Legend of Grimrock has buttons on the screen for movement.

Plants vs Zombies is definitely going to work on it

Samorost 2 is a point and click game, I think. It should work well.

Never Alone is quite a nice game, but I'm not sure how it'd run and you'd need a keyboard/gamepad.

You could also play Bejeweled

All of Paradox's grand strategy games. Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV in particular. Equally complex and rewarding and should run great on a Surface Pro.

Undertale?

If you need to avoid stress you've got your pick of almost any point&click adventure game too.

E: I hope it all works out ok for you bud :)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
hearthstone1.jpg

Just to make sure, because I'm slow, this is a joke, right?

No, I don't know if it's what majorly caused it but it certainly did contribute. I spent money on it and I really do want to play that game pretty bad and the patch that went live didn't fix my issues. Wolfenstein was a pretty special game to me.

Lots of great suggestions guys! I promise i'm looking into them! Wife went back to the house to pick up a few more things and I asked her if she could pick up my Elite controller.

OhItsJustDaniel

Neo Member
Last time I was bedridden, my game of choice was The Escapists. It rewards patience and careful planning, and the prison routines were oddly relaxing to me.
I'm wishing you a speedy recovery!

Civilization 5?

Possibly the Shadowrun games?

E: Looking at your steam profile, there's quite a few games there you could play for a while.

You could try getting into Crusader Kings 2, though I'm not sure how it'd run.

Legend of Grimrock has buttons on the screen for movement.

Plants vs Zombies is definitely going to work on it

Samorost 2 is a point and click game, I think. It should work well.

Never Alone is quite a nice game, but I'm not sure how it'd run and you'd need a keyboard/gamepad.

You could also play Bejeweled

Sorry it took so long for a reply, hospital WiFi is a little sketchy at times. So, for whatever reason, I don't have steam downloaded on my surface. How does downloading and playing games on a device that isn't your main steam machine work?

milkham

Sorry it took so long for a reply, hospital WiFi is a little sketchy at times. So, for whatever reason, I don't have steam downloaded on my surface. How does downloading and playing games on a device that isn't your main steam machine work?

just install steam and log in. if you're going through hospital wifi maybe you should stick to some low file size games like FTL

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been responding much. They have me doing all sorts of tests and stuff. I am exhausted. I also haven't eaten anything for 3 entire days and sometimes right when they give me my pain meds I just Zonk out. o_O

I was able to get hearthstone to work but it was really frustrating because I had forgotten my password.

I also forgot my steam password as well so that is next... I think it has something to do with the meds lol.

You are all amazing people!

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been responding much. They have me doing all sorts of tests and stuff. I am exhausted. I also haven't eaten anything for 3 entire days and sometimes right when they give me my pain meds I just Zonk out. o_O

I was able to get hearthstone to work but it was really frustrating because I had forgotten my password.

I also forgot my steam password as well so that is next... I think it has something to do with the meds lol.

You are all amazing people!

Hope everything is OK!

Also, Crusader Kings II has been mentioned, and I recommend it as well if you like strategy games. It is very much focused on characters and lineage, with fun events that happen that force you to make decisions. I'd also like to mention that it's currently on sale on Humble Bundle.

Gaogaogao

Ok, so quick update.

Two things have happened.

1: A good friend of mine, Jazzy, stopped by to see me and she brought her new boyfriend to introduce to me. well all of sudden boyfriend goes crashing into the floor head flipping first. His head hit the very bottom of my hospital bed first and then to the floor. He gashed open his head in two different places severe enough to warrant staples. Turns out he had a seizure. I saw it happen in slow motion and I knew I could have jumped up and caught him but then the horror stories that my nurses practitioner of a mother told me about pancreatitis kept me sealed to the spot. I noped out in my head and said a little "sorry buddy" but it ain't worth it. I then sat there and did some meditative breathing while Jazzy proceeded to scream at the top of her lungs and start to drag her unconscious boyfriend across the floor by his arm. Meanwhile my mom takes ahold of the situation and pretty much saves the day.

2: My wonderful wife saw that I was having trouble playing the games that I wanted to play on my OG surface and offered to let me use her Lenovo Yoga 900 i7 until they are able to get me home. I cried.

So I guess any game that will work with those specs will work now.

Man, what a journey.

Z..

I'd go with something story driven like planescape torment or to the moon or her story, depending on your tastes.
Good luck on the recovery.

Bsigg12

Ok, so quick update.

Two things have happened.

1: A good friend of mine, Jazzy, stopped by to see me and she brought her new boyfriend to introduce to me. well all of sudden boyfriend goes crashing into the floor head flipping first. His head hit the very bottom of my hospital bed first and then to the floor. He gashed open his head in two different places severe enough to warrant staples. Turns out he had a seizure. I saw it happen in slow motion and I knew I could have jumped up and caught him but then the horror stories that my nurses practitioner of a mother told me about pancreatitis kept me sealed to the spot. I noped out in my head and said a little "sorry buddy" but it ain't worth it. I then sat there and did some meditative breathing while Jazzy proceeded to scream at the top of her lungs and start to drag her unconscious boyfriend across the floor by his arm. Meanwhile my mom takes ahold of the situation and pretty much saves the day.

2: My wonderful wife saw that I was having trouble playing the games that I wanted to play on my OG surface and offered to let me use her Lenovo Yoga 900 i7 until they are able to get me home. I cried.

So I guess any game that will work with those specs will work now.

Man, what a journey.

Wow. Any idea what caused him to have a seizure? As for a recommendation, I'm in the Stardew Valley camp if you haven't played it yet.

Wow. Any idea what caused him to have a seizure? As for a recommendation, I'm in the Stardew Valley camp if you haven't played it yet.

He was refusing service at first but my mom talked him into it. Probably with one of her horror stories. They still haven't gotten the results back from the tests though.

I am a permaculturalist and my cities community garden manager which is the reason I have been shying away from stardew valley though it looks really good. I am assuming that they don't let you use raised beds in place of plowing the soil and also natural forms of pest control instead of synthetic pesticides. I try not to talk to much about it because I now what most think about people like me lol.

Jeez OP, I hope everything turns out okay, you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Now that you've upped your specs, I could recommend three solid choices for you.

SUPERHOT - It doesn't quite scratch the DOOM itch, plus I don't know how hot (no pun intended) it'll run, but it should be fine given the simplistic art and good optimization and it's a really awesome short shooter with a lot of replayability.

Hotline Miami - A really satisfying and badass top down action game with a dark sense of humor, should run great on the system you're working with.

NOVA 111 - Perhaps best suited for your current situation and set-up, it's an amazing strategy RPG combo, and definitely a good time sink.

Again, best of luck man!

Jeez OP, I hope everything turns out okay, you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Now that you've upped your specs, I could recommend three solid choices for you.

SUPERHOT - It doesn't quite scratch the DOOM itch, plus I don't know how hot (no pun intended) it'll run, but it should be fine given the simplistic art and good optimization and it's a really awesome short shooter with a lot of replayability.

Hotline Miami - A really satisfying and badass top down action game with a dark sense of humor, should run great on the system you're working with.

NOVA 111 - Perhaps best suited for your current situation and set-up, it's an amazing strategy RPG combo, and definitely a good time sink.

Again, best of luck man!

Super hot is a game that I am waiting to get VR support before I try because it looks amazing.

Hotline is a game that I do not want these very sweet nurses to see me playing lol.

I will check on Nova 111. I think I remember seeing it for cheep in the buy sell trade thread. In fact, I'm going to try posting in there as well.

So, another little update.

Two more things have happened.

1: I wake up with my stomach in extreme amounts of pain. I had gone longer without my pain meds than ever at this point. I mean it's just flipping out like there is something inside it. The nurses game me some pain meds and that seemed o quell the beast.

2: The doctor comes out of nowhere and tells me that I can start on more solid soft foods today. That if I handle them well then he is going to let me go home. Awesome. So I told him about the earlier bout with my stomach and he said that it is most likely bloating due to a side effect of the pain meds. He told me I should drink some juice and that from now on he wants me to walk around at least 3 times a day and that should get things moving. So, I drink some juice, wife gets my gown all fixed up and we head out to explore the floor of the hospital. I come to a long hallway with nice relaxing view and at this point I start to feel something start moving and began to pass a little gas. Again, awesome. So as the gas builds up this professional looking business woman comes walking by and I formulate a plan to pass gas as soon as she passes and blame it on my wife while at the same time impressing her with how well my bowels have started to function. I coud feel that this was going to be a good one. I gave it a little help coming out... and proceeded to crap all over myself. Embarassed doesn't even begin to describe... I tucked myself into a little abcess in the wall and wept. What the heck did I do to deserve this?

Update. To whom it may concern.

I'm home now. I feel like complete crap after being on a steady stream of antibiotics and other IV meds for a week straight. I've also been told I'm on thin ice. My gall bladder is completely full of sludge and if it can't be cleaned out it's goung to need to come out otherwise I most likely wont last too long and I came pretty close this time...

Uhg. I feel like... glass, very thin glass that is under pressure. Constant painful bloating, constipation and loss of balance and the pain meds are just making it worse but I need something to help me relax...

Thanks for all of your support and the crazy stuff that went on in the BST thread guys, seriously. It really really meant a lot. I'll never forget it and I am enjoying the heck out of every single one of those games so far though I can't handle playing for very long atm.

I don't know how I will ever repay you. Or if I can anytime soon. I don't even know what the hospital bill looks like yet... Oh, even though you don't know her I just want to give a shout out to my wife. If it weren't for her I wouldn't even be here I am sure of that.

Sounds like you've been through a shitty time. Good luck with a speedy recovery dude, and I hope you've managed to find some good games to take your mind off things.

(PS - are you still looking for recommendations and if so what platforms?)

Sounds like you've been through a shitty time. Good luck with a speedy recovery dude, and I hope you've managed to find some good games to take your mind off things.

(PS - are you still looking for recommendations and if so what platforms?)

I only have PC. I'm open to new things. especially after being gifted some games the other day that I didn't know I would like but I ended up enjoying immensely. That is a great feeling. I am home now though so pretty much anything goes since I have an R9 390. I mean If you guys really want to continue the reccomendations. I'll still be giving updates regaurdless. It makes me feel better for some reason. Like I have a family.

I'm sorry if I'm hard to understand right now, still trying to find balance for my meds atm.

Top Bottom