• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zoe Quinn wins the case against her ex-boyfriend (who started GamerGate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gattsu25

Banned
All I know about Gamergate is that it seemed to start with Zoe making a shit game, sleeping around, and then Phil Fish getting called all kinds of names for sticking up for her.

I think you forgot to sign into your other account before making that post, mate.

You've played her game? I know a few people who suffered with depression and they thought her game captured the disease pretty well, actually.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Excellent. Fuck Gamergate.

Honestly, I'm surprised the movement is still going. You'd think assholes on the internet would have gotten bored by now but for some reason, some people have such vapid lives that they really have nothing better to do than harass women online every day for years.

univbee

Honestly, I'm surprised the movement is still going. You'd think assholes on the internet would have gotten bored by now but for some reason, some people have such vapid lives that they really have nothing better to do than harass women online every day for years.

With at least some of the "heavier hitters" there is likely actual mental illness involved.

On a similar note it's not that surprising how many people don't "understand" Gamergate. It's completely stupid and ridiculous and makes so little sense that it's very, very hard to explain it clearly because of how dissociated with reality and logic it is.

Camjo-Z

All I know about Gamergate is that it seemed to start with Zoe making a shit game, sleeping around, and then Phil Fish getting called all kinds of names for sticking up for her.

You have this mixed up. Phil Fish made a game, took a shit (on Japanese developers), went to sleep, and then started calling everybody names the next day. I don't know where Zoe Quinn fits in.

Gattsu25

Banned

I mentioned this before but they spread out to other fandoms. For example... Last year, several offshoots poisoned the nomination phase of the Hugo awards (Scifi & Fantasy) with by filling them with relatively unknown works from an uber conservative publishing house: http://www.wired.com/2015/10/hugo-awards-controversy

I think you forgot to sign into your other account before making that post, mate.

You've played her game? I know a few people who suffered with depression and they thought her game captured the disease pretty well, actually.

First off, that's terrible that her ex started that nasty rumor about her. Secondly, yes I played the game. I've had bouts of depression, but not clinically depressed or anything. Thirdly, I'm in this thread to try and learn the truth about what happened. Sorry, that I didn't spend hours researching it.

And what the hell are you talking about, with signing into another account? I'm not your mate, pal.

You have this mixed up. Phil Fish made a game, took a shit (on Japanese developers), went to sleep, and then started calling everybody names the next day. I don't know where Zoe Quinn fits in.

LOL

why is that all you know? there are a lot of resources out there that explain what actually happened:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate_controversy

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135783202#post135783202

Thanks for the links!

univbee

I mentioned this before but they spread out to other fandoms. For example... Last year, several offshoots poisoned the nomination phase of the Hugo awards (Scifi & Fantasy) with by filling them with relatively unknown works from an uber conservative publishing house: http://www.wired.com/2015/10/hugo-awards-controversy

They did the same thing this year, and got Chuck Tingle (prolific crazy erotica writer for "Pounded in the butt by my own butt" and similar literary classics) nominated, who has capitalized on it nicely with "Pounded in the butt by my hugo award nomination" and all future titles having "by hugo-nominated author Chuck Tingle" on the cover.

Serious question: why aren't these threads in OT? Seems to have very little to do with, you know, gaming. Just a chance for virtue signalling/misogyny.

I'd wager no more than a handful of people of GAF have ever met the people concerned and can offer a reasoned view. Can't we just leave it alone? Seems like these threads are just wastelands of banning and accusations, hardly healthy discussion. Keep the SJW vs MRA shit on Twitter where it belongs?

I've probably offended someone with this post, but I really see little debate or evidence just two sides shouting "No you're a monster!" At each other.

Using SJW as a legit term shows a lack of empathy and only one side truly represent the term monster

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
That makes sense. It seems like GamerGate started from one bitter ex-boyfriend piggybacking off of all the pathetic misogynist manchildren out there in the world who are just looking for reasons to attack women for not liking them. Redpillers, MRAs, and so on. And then the internet echo chamber effect keeps it going?

I had obviously heard of gamergate numerous times in the past year or so but never really understood what it was about. Thanks to this thread and Wikipedia I have a better idea, and man does it piss me off.

Has anyone interviewed/spoken to one of these gamergate proponents? Like, I don't think I'll ever understand what kind of people would take up a mantle like this and harass people online. It's both fascinating and rage inducing to me

Ms1nOUg.jpg

I haven't been around here as a member long enough, BUT I have been a "lurker" for quite awhile and the level of feigned ignorance in these GG threads are always, always, always the same and quite frankly based on some Gaffers posts they are tired of it.

Feigning ignorance, then coming back with a drive by post taking a shot and then getting banned. Yes, Gaf eats it all up but it's because they've seen it one too many fucking times. It's tiring already.

Fuchsdh

It's a tired formula that's been repeated over 200 times already. It's one of a few formula that gets repeated ad nauseam whenever a thread gets posted with one of the targets for gamergate in the thread title:

Should just leave it to the mods. Dogpiling prevents legitimate discussion and just feeds the trolls' persecution complex.

Really this isn't any great victory for Quinn, though—it was a frivolous lawsuit and got dealt with accordingly. She dropped the criminal suit so she's really at the same place she was a while ago. Chances are for the forseeable future she'll continue to get drive-by threats and attacks which will pop up more frequently for a while whenever she gets in the news.

Gattsu25

Banned
That makes sense. It seems like GamerGate started from one bitter ex-boyfriend piggybacking off of all the pathetic misogynist manchildren out there in the world who are just looking for reasons to attack women for not liking them. Redpillers, MRAs, and so on. And then the internet echo chamber effect keeps it going?

Yeah, this is a trend that has a history and will continue for some time, I feel.

DedValve

Banned
First off, that's terrible that her ex started that nasty rumor about her. Secondly, yes I played the game. I've had bouts of depression, but not clinically depressed or anything. Thirdly, I'm in this thread to try and learn the truth about what happened. Sorry, that I didn't spend hours researching it.

And what the hell are you talking about, with signing into another account? I'm not your mate, pal.

LOL

Thanks for the links!

If your trying to learn (and it doesnt take hours to google something) why make a comment about her making a shit game and sleeping around if you just confessed your "trying to learn the truth"? Thats a baseless accusation and mindless speculation that hurt zoe in the first place so stop spreading shit.

User1608

Banned
How ironic is that those that use sjw and other similar terms/sentiments are the most sensitive and triggered (by women, diversity, choice, etc).

GG'ers will always be hateful losers. Plain and simple.

Great post.

It's a tired formula that's been repeated over 200 times already. It's one of a few formula that gets repeated ad nauseam whenever a thread gets posted with one of the targets for gamergate in the thread title:

make throw away account on neogaf with the hopes of becoming a martyr for the cause → Post libelous information (that was even verified as a lie on day one) as if it were true → get banned for posting character assassinating factually incorrect libel and contributing to a trend of harassment against someone in the industry (against the TOS) that even a second's perusal of google can show was bullshit to begin with → brag on your social media platform of choice that you have become a martyr

People would have more patience for it if it wasn't the 200+th time that they've seen that exact scenario play out.

We've seen the people gloating on their threads/subreddits/subverses/imageboards that they got banned for doing the above. We've seen the accounts with 0 posts before diving into this bullshit pattern above. It's tiring and after a certain point, people stop giving a shit about caring to engage with people whose sole goal in posting on NeoGAF is getting banned so they can then show their friends that they got banned. Fuck them.

It's such a pain in the ass to get a GAF account. You have to wonder about the psyche of the type of person who would get a non-free email address and then wait months to be approved for the sole purpose of getting banned. It's like those people who create accounts and dwell on something minor only to bump a long dead thread to prove a point. Gators need state-mandated psychiatric care.

It's such a pain in the ass to get a GAF account. You have to wonder about the psyche of the type of person who would get a non-free email address and then wait months to be approved for the sole purpose of getting banned. It's like those people who create accounts and dwell on something minor only to bump a long dead thread to prove a point. Gators need state-mandated psychiatric care.

Streetcred on /r/kia and other such neogaf hating communities, you should see the back patting that happens whenever someone posts a neogaf ban message post.

Bookoo

Why was the group called GamerGate?

That's partially why it was confusing to me. I thought GamerGate was just the name of the scandal like any -gate thing, but then people kept saying they are apart of or against GamerGate.

A miserable little pile of sexists. But enough talk, have at thee!

I love this.

That's partially why it was confusing to me. I thought GamerGate was just the name of the scandal like any -gate thing, but then people kept saying they are apart of or against GamerGate.

Because it started when Eron Gjoni was hired by Richard Nixon to break into the Gamergate hotel to wiretap the unethical "journalists" at Kotaku and other websites who dared to do more than limitless praise at whatever popular AAA game was coming out at the time. When the transcripts were released, basement dwellers everywhere rallied around the banner of the hotel as a reminder of the reason for their holy crusade.

The name was coined by Adam Baldwin, actor & right wing reactionary who's famous for tweets of this caliber:

"What hard evidence is there that Obama doesn't want ebola in America?"

He just threw the -gate on there cause "omg political scandals! THANKS OBAMA"

cakely

Some positive news for Zoe, that's great.

I could have done without the public account suicides that GamerGate threads always bring about, though.

SerTapTap

This is good news...but it feels a bit hollow since it doesn't seem like this BS is going to stop any time soon. Christ this really all started almost 2 years ago, it's insane.

Adam Baldwin tweeted about her ex's post and the hubbub surrounding it, adding #gamergate.

BigDes

This is good news...but it feels a bit hollow since it doesn't seem like this BS is going to stop any time soon. Christ this really all started almost 2 years ago, it's insane.

Oh this sort of shit has been going on for a lot longer than two years. It is just that two years ago the mouth breathers got themselves organized

The circumstances for it to exist have been around for at least a couple years before that, too. This, of course, isn't to blame writers, bloggers and journalists who did literally nothing wrong, but it's more of an "accidental kick the hornet's nest" sort of scenario, that finally kicked off with this asshole lying about his girlfriend sleeping around with journalists.

Then, it was a conspiracy. And slightly(and more) damaged people love conspiracies. And, like conspiracy theorists, subtle framing of facts or lies can make them seem false or true, respectively. And if you frame it as and us vs. them, with personal twists, you capture the anger and frustration of other things, too. Ever hear someone say "Bioware stopped being good after Baldur's Gate?" That frustration was channeled into Gamergate.

What about the problem with Anders in Dragon Age 2? It was framed as "you can either be lovers with him or he tries to kill you, choose wisely :^)" and anyone who wasn't gay, might've gotten a little frustrated. That was channeled into Gamergate as "This is what the SJW WANT you to do."

At every step, it was a misappropriation of facts designed explicitly to cause controversy, using the frustration of young adult men, mostly white, who "longed for the old days of gaming" or "didn't want the gay near me" and they attributed the craziest of crazy tumblrs to all of feminism, sometimes making shit up as they go to keep it moving. It also doesn't help that tumblr actually tried to raid 4chan in the middle of this, because it played right into the gamergater whipmasters' hands.

There is no ONE thing that everyone who identified with Gamergate agreed with, but it was an amalgamation of a bunch of problems they had that could best be described as "The gaming landscape is changing, and we don't like it."

And from there, it was simple: they just needed to know WHO to attack to defend themselves from the scary social change.

And there's your answer. They felt as if they needed to defend themselves, they acted like cornered rats. All based on lies or easily misconstrued truth. That's the really scary part, to me. They whipped people into a frenzy and in that frenzy, they did horrible things.

And they were never accounted for. They used the mob as their own defense while the mob used tired "ethics" bullshit in THEIR defense, so explaining to the mob how wrong they were without shutting out the lies only made them feel as if you were trying to trick them! Explaining to the whipmasters how wrong they were wouldn't work, because they're fucked in the head to an extreme degree.

This sort of thing is all about perception. It doesn't matter if they're right or wrong, they just need to FEEL that they are right, or FEEL as if they're being attacked.
It doesn't matter that they weren't being attacked, it was all about making sure that they felt like they were.

You can draw direct parallels to Nazi Germany here, with the heirarchy. You've got your whipmasters in the SS, your normal people that agree with you, your normal people that are going along because others are, without the realization of what they're doing, and then you've got people outside of it decided to stay far away from it.

At every step, everyone else was used as a convenient patsy for the gamergate whipmasters, and, unlike after WW2, they weren't captured and tried for their crimes against humanity.

They're still out there, still spinning lies to their much diminished patsies, and they're still harassing people.

Why would she even go through these lengths to get positive reviews for a free therapeutical game like Depression Quest? Has any GGer ever actually thought this through?
Nope. Bring up to a gator that their whole movement was founded on dudes getting angry over ethics in free flash games and watch their heads melt from cognitive dissonance. Then watch them slink away while muttering 'it's not about that anymore'

Why would she even go through these lengths to get positive reviews for a free therapeutical game like Depression Quest? Has any GGer ever actually thought this through?

Do you have an alternative explanation that's not "she whored herself out" that explains how she managed to rack up all this critical praise?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/depression-quest said:
Critic Reviews

Positive:0
Mixed: 1 out of 1
Negative:0

ActionTrip
Sep 2, 2014
While it does an okay job presenting what it is really like to have depression, it sets the player down the exactly same depression path, no matter what is chosen.

sol740

Did anybody get mad any other time the dev/pub side of the industry got too cozy with the critical side ... say over ad revenue?

Not that I'm accusing Zoe of actually doing anything wrong, because it clearly looks like a smearjob, just curious if the vitriol and hate was ever directed at anyone else over actual bullshittery.

Listonosh

Gamergate had massive implications outside gaming. It has been an ongoing news topic -- as in, mainstream news, political news -- for a long time.

Get out of your bubbles.

But I like my bubble! It's nice and comfy in here.

TBH I never really bothered to read about it or learn about it. This was one of those cases where I found that ignorance is really bliss. With that said, good for Ms. Quinn.

Zelias

Banned
Any kind of victory for her is good news. Fuck Gamergate.

Christ, people really can't help getting themselves banned, can they? Like moths to a flame.

When you're browsing a thread, see someone quote something incredibly stupid and shitty, scroll back up to see the original quote and see the person has already been banned: Keep up the good work mods :)

Slightly off topic but it really surprises me that some of the people who get banned for shitty comments aren't just throw away accounts. I mean the guy of this page has over 3,000 posts, I only have 3,800 and I have been here for 8 years. Surely by now people would realise that you can't get away with coming out with the shit they do?

Baffles me.

Any kind of victory for her is good news. Fuck Gamergate.

Christ, people really can't help getting themselves banned, can they? Like moths to a flame.
The funny thing is if an a gator wanted to come in here and make an actual point not based on long debunked accusations and have a discussion they probably wouldn't be instabanned. Instead they play dumb and use the 'all I know about gg is x' format. They literally have the intelligence and reasoning skills of a virus trying to multiply lol.

Did anybody get mad any other time the dev/pub side of the industry got too cozy with the critical side ... say over ad revenue?

Not that I'm accusing Zoe of actually doing anything wrong, because it clearly looks like a smearjob, just curious if the vitriol and hate was ever directed at anyone else over actual bullshittery.

The closest, absolute closest "legitimate" bullshittery you could ever construe out of this, and again, you'd have to REALLY reach for it(so, I mean, legitimate might not be the word, here), is one of Sarkeesian's early videos.

Where I figured she misconstrued context if she ever had any to begin with, I simply shrugged it off(her later videos, past the "never played the games she's critiquing" phase, started getting much better, and easier to understand from her viewpoint if you didn't share it). Gamergate instead delved into her finances and claimed it was a conspiracy to drive all white males out of gaming, so you could only play a, quote, "LGBTBBQ+ PoC" in video games.

Of course, it was a ruse the entire time, but if you're already predisposed to dislike Sarkeesian, you're not really going to catch how crazy your side is when you deem the other side to be legitimately insane.

And that, in itself, is HUGE reaching, JUST to get something ALMOST passingly legitimate to fight about. It was the closest thing to legitimate they had, because her early videos were VERY easy to misconstrue as "attacks."

If I recall, she was also harassed and is still receiving said harassment, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom