• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |Mafia OT| The Night Brims With Defiled Scum

roytheone

Why a few people? If they're all townies, scum will fall all over themselves laughing and have no pressure at all.

But yeah, if the day was ending in a few hours, it would make sense to do that. It's just that with two whole real life days, it doesn't seem very urgent.

I believe that on day 1, you need to have quite a few lynch candidates at the end of the day. This will increase the chance of at least one scum being one of those, and with day 1 endings always being very swingy and unpredictable, this will force them to come out of hiding, giving us the most to work with later.

I believe that on day 1, you need to have quite a few lynch candidates at the end of the day. This will increase the chance of at least one scum being one of those, and with day 1 endings always being very swingy and unpredictable, this will force them to come out of hiding, giving us the most to work with later.

Right. That's what I'm questioning.

"A few" sounds too low. "Quite a few" sounds much better.

Maybe he meant "lots".

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You said later your math was wrong. Do you have the correct statistic? I like statistics but don't know how to calculate them myself.
I dont have it on me but I think it's 1-P(no mafia in six selections).
You even responded to the very post i placed my vote in..........
Sorry, GAF didn't index that post when I did a search for your name so I didn't see it while I was going through my searches.

That would be the most anti town of anti town things.
People were barely posting in a 24 hour window and a lot of it was me talking to myself. Like, why even bother waiting for four days for people to speak up? It was a spur of the moment frustration post. I wanted a lower activity game but not one where I can't expect a new post in an hour.

People are posting now so feel free to ignore the rage post.

Camjo-Z

Sorry, GAF didn't index that post when I did a search for your name so I didn't see it while I was going through my searches.

Reminder to all that finding this thread in the Community section, clicking the number of posts to the right, and then clicking the number next to someone's name in the pop-up that appears allows you to see the posts they've made solely in this thread. It's a very useful tool for keeping track of active/inactive people and remembering who said what.

Camjo-Z

Reminder to all that finding this thread in the Community section, clicking the number of posts to the right, and then clicking the number next to someone's name in the pop-up that appears allows you to see the posts they've made solely in this thread. It's a very useful tool for keeping track of active/inactive people and remembering who said what.

Oh, I just tried it and it's only showing 14 of my posts even though I've made 22 in this thread. I guess GAF is just being slow to update. Still, if anyone didn't know it... now they do.

Haly

Correction, 1 - P(no newbie in six selections)

Weemad, Google "at least complement" to get a run down of the method.

Haly

There is a four way tie right now. It makes the lynch very unpredictable because people can suddenly shift the balance. The perpetrators are seath and kalor. While kalor's reasons are sound (they are my own), it feels like opportunism to create a possible no lynch.

Anyone can switch their votes at the last second during the inevitable chaos and go "oops! teehee I wasn't sure what was happening, uguu!".

roytheone

There is a four way tie right now. It makes the lynch very unpredictable because people can suddenly shift the balance. The perpetrators are seath and kalor. While kalor's reasons are sound (they are my own), it feels like opportunism to create a possible no lynch.

Anyone can switch their votes at the last second during the inevitable chaos and go "oops! teehee I wasn't sure what was happening, uguu!".

If one of the lynch candidates flips scum at any point, that will give us a lot of leads to work with though. I don't think having a lot of lynch candidates close to each other near the end of the day is a bad thing.

Verelios

Yeah, it doesn't seem like much progress will be made until the last day. Most votes now, or at least mine, are just placeholders.

Haly

If one of the lynch candidates flips scum at any point, that will give us a lot of leads to work with though. I don't think having a lot of lynch candidates close to each other near the end of the day is a bad thing.
Well the record will be here regardless but the danger of a tie is real I think.
Yeah, it doesn't seem like much progress will be made until the last day. Most votes now, or at least mine, are just placeholders.
I keep forgetting we have 2 more days.

The leaders are currently, at 3 votes:
Freakinchair
haly
Ri'orius
Kristoffer

Of those I think Kris and Ri'orius are the most suspect. The reasons for kris have already been mentioned, Ri'orius giving soft-support to no-lynch and then a throwaway vote on weemad. I made my thoughts on weemad clear but he has no momentum so voting for him is pretty much voting without voting, despite being one of the leaders of the tie.

Correction, 1 - P(no newbie in six selections)

Weemad, Google "at least complement" to get a run down of the method.

Thanks. But I was more hoping for a percentage? Not an equation?
I mean, you aren't required to provide that. I just have appreciated some things certain users do, like Lone Prodigy tracks claims, and some people do probabilities.

I might get to it myself but I'm lazy. :)

Haly

I was on my phone and walking around so I couldn't easily recalculate.

Anyway the formula is:

1 - (20/24 * 19/23 * 18/22 * 17/21 * 16/20 * 15/19) = 0.712

The large part of the equation is P(Chances of no newbies being selected for a non-town role), taken 6 times for each successive failed selection (if we're assuming 6 non-town) and multiplied together. Subtract that from 1 and you get the answer for "at least one newbie is scum", which is 71%. It's 78% for 7 non-town. As you noted this answer is identical for any possible grouping of 4 players and by no means do I wish to imply that we should just start killing off the new players. I'd like to point out, in good faith, that this number applies to the top 4 vote leaders as well.

I'm still not absolutely confident this is the right method because I'm very bad at probability, nor is it very useful. It was more a personal exercise.

certainly an interesting intellectual exercise

rip this thread, Bloodborne Mafia (2016-2016)

anywayyyy my vague stream of consciousness-y opinions on the people currently leading the votes:

Kristoffer - flippety-floppety, weird, erratic, anxious to make something happen. I don't like the unnecessary desire to start closing the net so quickly, the main thing we get out of D1 if anything is the mad dash in the final countdown to the lynch where things are fluid and scum are most likely to start jumping around

Haly - I can empathise with his hatred for D1, seems to want to keep the thread alive though and gets frustrated with the indolence, not sure if his current contribution with all this stats stuff is really all that helpful

Freakinchair - has made zero impression

Ri'Orious - unnecessarily paying lip service to the idea of a No Lynch but then throwing a vote at weemadarthur, logic within vote post makes me question whether he's anxious to make something fit

but I certainly don't think we should be narrowing the scope down to these four so early, it's honestly disappointing how few people I actually have an impression of but I suppose it's to be expected when we consider the current dolorous pace and the playstyles involved and the general D1-ness of it all

VOTE: flatearthpandas

hey where u? 'could do worse than to lynch vanilla Town' is such an ugh cop-out statement and the whole 'Haly's roleclaim is the worst thing to happen in the history of mafia' was a bit overblown and now you've retreated with your vote still on that bandwagon

talk to me about your life goals and the people you like/don't like right now

Ri'Orius

A) If you are speculating about game mechanics using the game, please keep in mind there are players here (like me!) that haven't played the game. So please explain why Cleric Best probably doesn't do anything, why Father G will reveal an innocent child, why Rom will make shit cray-cray etc. Those names mean very little to me, and looking them up on a wiki doesn't really help that much (except that i now know who the guy in my avatar is! jay!).

I don't think CB does anything because I couldn't come up with anything for him to do. He's one of the first possible bosses, but he's completely optional and not particularly noteworthy. Plus game design wise it seems like you'd want to introduce "we're progressing through bosses" with a no-op.

I'm thinking Father G will reveal an Innocent Child because in-game there's a sidequest where you talk to a little girl through a window who wants you to find her parents. You find out her dad is Father G, and her mom has already been slain (presumably by Father G).

As for Rom, she maintains some sort of magical veil, and killing her triggers the Blood Moon phase of the game and reveals the invisible alien monsters that've been hanging out in Yharnam the whole time. When the game starts it looks like you're fighting werewolves and whatnot (with hints at something bigger); killing Rom reveals the more Lovecraftian nature of the true enemy.

B) If you think no lynch is the correct option, why not vote for it? I disagree with a no-lynch being the best option, but at least camjo had the balls to stand by it and vote for it. People going: "I am ok with a no lynch but will not vote for it" screams "I am scum but don't want to put to much suspicion on me" to me. Switch your vote when it becomes clear it is not going to happen, but before that, vote for what you think is best.

My understanding is that people like voting history to reflect your thoughts on who is scum. I don't think No Lynch is scum. I also don't think Seath is scum, but I think policy lynching him is a tactically smart play. If I thought either No Lynch or Seath would happen I'd vote for them, but since they're not I'm putting my vote on one of my best guesses for scum, in the interests of giving other players that insight into my current suspicions.

(and to be clear: I don't think Seath is scum, but I don't think he's not scum. I have no read on him for obvious reasons)

On a related note: why Weemad? You say their posts read scummier to you then the other suspicious behavior. Thats quite broad, please give examples. Also, please respect the prenouns in the player list.

???

how is weemad's behaviour differentiating itself in your mind? how are you simultaneously reading it as 'probably poking for information' and then being 'scummy'?

There is nothing specific, just a gut reaction I had to seeing his posts. Looking back I recall 201 being sketchy and forced-looking, which probably soured me on him early. I don't see much else that I can really say about him, although his activity level does seem to be in that middle-of-the-road area that I tend to associate with scum. If I'm being honest I also wanted to avoid looking like I was bandwagoning someone else. As Palmer said here, if the whole point of D1 is gaining information, it's better to have a wider vote spread.

(as an aside, looking at their sign-up posts Seath and weemad have no pronoun preference, so presumably using he/him is acceptable despite their - icon? I did mess up with Nudull: sorry, got lazy as my post got bigger)

Ok I see math, no one said anything about math. Only death, lynches, elder infant death beings, and giant spiders. But no math.

Since no one wants to post lets just call it a day. How about everyone here just vote for someone and we end it and start the "oh this person voted for this person but argued for this one and stayed away but now they are scum and not town" plus any nighttime shenanegins.

I swear if I had an

Override: zippedpinhead

roytheone

My understanding is that people like voting history to reflect your thoughts on who is scum. I don't think No Lynch is scum. I also don't think Seath is scum, but I think policy lynching him is a tactically smart play. If I thought either No Lynch or Seath would happen I'd vote for them, but since they're not I'm putting my vote on one of my best guesses for scum, in the interests of giving other players that insight into my current suspicions.

(and to be clear: I don't think Seath is scum, but I don't think he's not scum. I have no read on him for obvious reasons)

No, I want voting history to reflect what you want to do. If that is a no lynch or a policy Seath lynch, vote for that. Who knows, maybe it gains traction and you get your preferred outcome. We are just halfway through day 1,%and the vote leaders only have 3 votes. It's way to early to say what is and isn't possible.

Palmer_v1

Ok I see math, no one said anything about math. Only death, lynches, elder infant death beings, and giant spiders. But no math.

Since no one wants to post lets just call it a day. How about everyone here just vote for someone and we end it and start the "oh this person voted for this person but argued for this one and stayed away but now they are scum and not town" plus any nighttime shenanegins.

I swear if I had an

I'm personally here to murder children if possible.

I swear if I had an

zipped, join my team! Vote for freakinchair today and I'll vote for hobobobobo with you tomorrow when chair turns out to be the D1 lynched doctor.

certainly an interesting intellectual exercise

rip this thread, Bloodborne Mafia (2016-2016)

anywayyyy my vague stream of consciousness-y opinions on the people currently leading the votes:

Kristoffer - flippety-floppety, weird, erratic, anxious to make something happen. I don't like the unnecessary desire to start closing the net so quickly, the main thing we get out of D1 if anything is the mad dash in the final countdown to the lynch where things are fluid and scum are most likely to start jumping around

Haly - I can empathise with his hatred for D1, seems to want to keep the thread alive though and gets frustrated with the indolence, not sure if his current contribution with all this stats stuff is really all that helpful

Freakinchair - has made zero impression

Ri'Orious - unnecessarily paying lip service to the idea of a No Lynch but then throwing a vote at weemadarthur, logic within vote post makes me question whether he's anxious to make something fit

but I certainly don't think we should be narrowing the scope down to these four so early, it's honestly disappointing how few people I actually have an impression of but I suppose it's to be expected when we consider the current dolorous pace and the playstyles involved and the general D1-ness of it all

VOTE: flatearthpandas

hey where u? 'could do worse than to lynch vanilla Town' is such an ugh cop-out statement and the whole 'Haly's roleclaim is the worst thing to happen in the history of mafia' was a bit overblown and now you've retreated with your vote still on that bandwagon

talk to me about your life goals and the people you like/don't like right now

Yo. That's a bit exaggerated. I've seen way dumber shit in mafia, but that unnecessary role claim is still the most detrimental thing to town that has happened. Add that to him being called out 2-3 times now for posting blatant misinformation (who has posted, who has voted, maybe something else) and I'm honestly pretty comfortable with my vote. He also was the guy to lowball scum numbers and has posted basically nothing of value. His scum list is just people who have voted him or questioned his non-contributions.

Curious now thoug... this is at least the second time you've come to haly's defense. What do you find so townie about haly that his defense requires a vote against me? Keep in mind his being called out several times for not correctly following elementary parts of the thread, omgus scum list etc. What is so townie to you about a completely left field no-pressure role claim? How does this help the town? How has anyone else hurt the town more than actively helping scum find town pr's?

I'm torn between hoping the scum team really is this dumb and hoping

Thought the last sentence was excited.

But part of me hopes the scum team is so dumb that they will just post blatantly detrimental shit and then feebly come to each other's rescue and part of me hopes we have a more interesting game in store.

Yo. That's a bit exaggerated. I've seen way dumber shit in mafia, but that unnecessary role claim is still the most detrimental thing to town that has happened. Add that to him being called out 2-3 times now for posting blatant misinformation (who has posted, who has voted, maybe something else) and I'm honestly pretty comfortable with my vote. He also was the guy to lowball scum numbers and has posted basically nothing of value. His scum list is just people who have voted him or questioned his non-contributions.

Curious now thoug... this is at least the second time you've come to haly's defense. What do you find so townie about haly that his defense requires a vote against me? Keep in mind his being called out several times for not correctly following elementary parts of the thread, omgus scum list etc. What is so townie to you about a completely left field no-pressure role claim? How does this help the town? How has anyone else hurt the town more than actively helping scum find town pr's?

I'm torn between hoping the scum team really is this dumb and hoping

Thought the last sentence was excited.

But part of me hopes the scum team is so dumb that they will just post blatantly detrimental shit and then feebly come to each other's rescue and part of me hopes we have a more interesting game in store.

honestly my intention wasn't to defend Haly so much as to start a conversation with someone, and you were literally just the first person I thought of whose name I hadn't seen in a while, and I thought you might actually respond so I chucked what I could remember at you

I mean, idk, I don't really count 'vanilla Town' as a claim to begin with, as isn't everyone basically vanilla Town until confirmed otherwise? Anyway, someone could say that they're vanilla Town but then be bluffing or double-bluffing or whatever in the hopes that scum will believe them and move onto someone else, or take a shot on them and then they turn out to be vanilla and bang scum have wasted the NK. Idk. There are many possibilities. Who knows what scum are thinking, and who knows what scum think Haly is thinking etc etc etc? It's all WIFOM. OTOH, maybe Haly is scum and this is a reasonable excuse why he won't be targeted for NKs going forward. There are multiple possibilities for the scenario, idk, I guess I'm just not exclusively framing it in an anti-Town way, although that's certainly how it could be interpreted.

I just feel like 'blatant misinformation' is a bit of a dramatisation. I'll agree that all the stats stuff has been a complete waste of time, and maybe I've been too stupidly grateful for 'at least someone's posting' rather than actually taking my time to go through it properly. I mean, now that you've actually pointed it out, I have noticed that Haly's a big fan of lists, which is a good way of appearing to generate 'content' without doing a lot, but I did say earlier that my thoughts were stream of consciousness and I haven't really been focusing on Haly too much so I guess I never really noticed it.

I just don't think Haly is the scummiest player in this game right now, when there are tons of people slipping on by and sliding in and out of focus without really making an impression at all such as Kalor or Rynam or literally most people. If Haly is scum, then for me at least he's doing a good imitation of a Town player who's exasperated with a slow-moving D1. Idk. At least he's creating enough conversation that we'll get him sooner rather than later if he continues to exhibit scummy behaviour if he lives beyond this point.

I haven't been too focused on any single person in particular so far in the game and just been going off of gut impressions and getting people to talk when I've noticed they haven't been around in a while or when things have been unclear, as I would rather avoid overly reading into things and falling into the trap of tunnelling too early on D1 when everything is too ripe for misinterpretation.

honestly, if I was Haly's scumpartner it would've been far easier to prod one of these other motherfuckers who've been sat on their arses on the sidelines and talked about literally anything else rather than drag the topic back up again, it's not like it couldn't be avoided

I just don't think Haly is the scummiest player in this game right now, when there are tons of people slipping on by and sliding in and out of focus without really making an impression at all such as Kalor or Rynam or literally most people.
This is also how I feel. All this conversation just detracts from the point that we should be making this game extremely hostile to people who hardly speak. That's why I'm fixated on Freakinchair at the moment.

Haly

It's true, I love lists. I dislike wall o' texts because I'm lazy and because I don't think they're particularly more convincing than lists, and are far harder to keep track of/review days down the road. No one wants to read a novel from day 1 on day 8.

My vote on Kristoffer still stands. My numbers 2 and 3 choices are flatearthpanda (lol OMGUS) and Ri'orius. I got panic vibes from flatearthpanda's response when Never Forever voted for him. I mean it's just one vote, and I think he overreacted. Ri'orius is speculating on the significance of Cleric Beast and while the classification of the game makes that valid, it's also a deep hole to go down that detracts from what we actually want to accomplish on Day 1, a lynch, and a list of a votes.

(God, the search system going down now of all times is just super frustrating.)

squidyj

Meh. I'm currently ignoring this thread in favor of fighting off an invading Chaos army. Once that's done, I think I'll remove the Dwarves from my borders, then finally, Bretonnia.

I see I see.
So palmer has been pretty absent to my reckoning so far, I'm sure he's actually playing Warhammer but I fear that his predilection towards that game and lack of involvement here is indicative of the role PM he got.

Palmer_v1

I see I see.
So palmer has been pretty absent to my reckoning so far, I'm sure he's actually playing Warhammer but I fear that his predilection towards that game and lack of involvement here is indicative of the role PM he got.

I'm also watching Voltron and it's Day 1. Nothing important* will happen until the last 2 hours or so. I'll likely have more to say then.

You know you're not going to tease a role claim out of me, Ordinary or otherwise.

___lol___

squidyj

I'm also watching Voltron and it's Day 1. Nothing important* will happen until the last 2 hours or so. I'll likely have more to say then.

You know you're not going to tease a role claim out of me, Ordinary or otherwise.

___lol___

Do I expect you to talk mr palmer? no.

Kevyt

Funny thing reading Ri'Orius being about a policy lynch against me and not really coming up with anything else or pointing fingers at anybody else.

His long premeditated posts are fishy.

My vote stays on him for the rest of the day.
Also, Overwatch has been taking most of my time.

Camjo-Z

Even though I'm staying no lynch cuz D1 lynches are dumb, here are my noodly fingers of suspicion as promised.

weemad: I don't know if I've played with wee in a game where they weren't against town so I don't know if it's just their playstyle, but they're playing really similarly to the way they did when they were a bad guy, being overly pokey and proddy for info and "accidentally" copypasting stuff that uses syntax from Outer Gafia. This totally relies on my experiences with them in previous games and nothing that's currently going on in this game though, so I'd feel quite shameful using that as my only evidence for a vote against them. Still, I feel I have to mention it.

Kristoffer: Again, the beast stuff reads like a really bad breadcrumb to try and make a neutral claim more palatable when he gets caught doing something fishy. The heavy pushing for a lynch is really blatant and looks like a cheap D1 ploy to get people to side with him so he can backstab them later for siding with him. Not that concerned with him currently as whatever his role does is probably just annoying or equally unhelpful to both town and maf, but if we come to a slow day with no leads he should become a top priority.

Also, will be keeping an eye on the people that have done nothing much during D1 than to blend in, yet will somehow continue to stick around well into the later days of the game. This includes people who seem to post a lot but don't really make much commitment to anything at all. I think the first day is always a load of shit but at least I admit it, some people seem content to "do the dance of D1", as a maf member once put it.

Of those I think Kris and Ri'orius are the most suspect. The reasons for kris have already been mentioned, Ri'orius giving soft-support to no-lynch and then a throwaway vote on weemad. I made my thoughts on weemad clear but he has no momentum so voting for him is pretty much voting without voting, despite being one of the leaders of the tie.

Your feelings on me seem to be complaining that I voted you. You said something about squidy being ok for voting you because his reasons were better.

I am probably being remiss. If someone types out a good argument, and I agree with it, I don't generally repeat the argument because it has been said. I will try to state that I agree though, because you're not able to see all of my thoughts if I don't. I agree with all those things squidy said, and along with some other things about your reactions, which I'll post separately, I feel you're behaving in the way of a "caught scum".

I have always left my vote on the player I found scummiest at the end of the day. I will have a secondary person to vote for in case I change my mind on you.

There is nothing specific, just a gut reaction I had to seeing his posts. Looking back I recall 201 being sketchy and forced-looking, which probably soured me on him early. I don't see much else that I can really say about him, although his activity level does seem to be in that middle-of-the-road area that I tend to associate with scum. If I'm being honest I also wanted to avoid looking like I was bandwagoning someone else. As Palmer said here, if the whole point of D1 is gaining information, it's better to have a wider vote spread.

(as an aside, looking at their sign-up posts Seath and weemad have no pronoun preference, so presumably using he/him is acceptable despite their - icon? I did mess up with Nudull: sorry, got lazy as my post got bigger)

You didn't like post 201, probably for the flippant tone. It was a quick response to something I noticed in a really short time period. I didn't go through and analyze how the tone would appear, because I was focused on the discussion. If you find a rather sarcastic tone to be a scumtell, you really should keep your vote on me, because I am bound to keep doing it.

weemad: I don't know if I've played with wee in a game where they weren't against town so I don't know if it's just their playstyle, but they're playing really similarly to the way they did when they were a bad guy, being overly pokey and proddy for info and "accidentally" copypasting stuff that uses syntax from Outer Gafia. This totally relies on my experiences with them in previous games and nothing that's currently going on in this game though, so I'd feel quite shameful using that as my only evidence for a vote against them. Still, I feel I have to mention it.

I didn't "accidentally" copypasta from outergafia in batman. I accidentally posted on gaf something I meant for outergafia. Which was a legit accident, and I tried to swing it around to play into the dumb blonde persona I was projecting. I still have my own board there, and use it actively. (If reader wants a private thread, ask Retro) During this game, I've been chatting with Cabot and insulting his ability to play tanner. I do copy posts there if they have something I want to remember without having to read the entire thread.

As for "overly" pokey and proddy. Uh. I am willing to step out in front and offer something to talk about. I have done it as town, in Princess. I do talk a lot. I come up with questions when there's a lull in the conversation. I question people doing weird things. It's fine to make a meta argument I guess. Perhaps review a day or two of Princess to see how I play as town?

Haly

Your feelings on me seem to be complaining that I voted you. You said something about squidy being ok for voting you because his reasons were better.

Yeah. But you voted for me before squidy gave his reasons and I wasn't moved by yours.

Stuff like this is just *yawn*.
You certainly were on top of magnumboy showing up to play. Six minutes and you have an updated list with everyone else corrected too! Good work, haly.

You should probably coordinate your post times better in the scum thread so it's less obvious.
Squidy voted for me because he picked up on the "town claim", which I admit reflects poorly on me. You were nitpicking at post counts, which would be fair if the search wasn't borked right now. The rest is just following momentum.

I just lined my brain with eyes, and I see more clearly now. All this talk about Haly really is sucking all of the air out of this room. The discussion is founded on nothing and is not worth the consideration. If you have placed your vote based on who is talking the most, then you've wasted it. This is a fairly common day 1 trap; by the rule of recency, the most talkative hunters here are the most deliberated, and so we have greater propensity to vote for them. Instead we should focus on coasters. However, if you're currently voting for someone that has just 1 vote, then you've also wasted it. We're here to build consensus, so let's actually discuss and convince rather than OMGUS'ing.

Of the top 4 players being voted on currently, Haly and I are just not worth the time. We're out there, we're contributing, so there will be plenty of vote evidence later on. If either of us are scum, then voting for us now means in later days the coasters will have no evidence against them because they can gleefully bandwagon and we're back at square one. If either of us are town, you miss out on some good contributors (Haly, I think you are a good contributor!) and you miss out on having two good sleuths.

So that leaves Ri and Chair. I'm sure everyone is a little more inclined to vote for Ri, and I was too, but I realized that Seath was attacking Ri, and Chair quickly defended Seath. In fact, Chair really has skated by with like... 3 meaningless posts. I think Seath is definitely suspicious, and out of the 3 of them, at least one of them is scum. So it really comes down to: do you distrust Ri, or do you distrust Chair and Seath? And when you phrase it that way, I think Freakinchair is actually a much better choice. If he flips dirty, it potentially gives us more information about Seath and Ri simultaneously.

I think this is worth the day's vote. It's hard to come by a situation as opportunistic as this. So I urge everyone to reconsider their vote and potentially vote for Chair. That includes you, Haly! I'm sticking my neck out for you.

Haly

I agree I don't want day 1 to be just about me or whoever's posting a lot.

The problem is you can't pressure someone who's not interested in responding so I agree with squidy in that sense, that going through inactives/coasters is just shooting in the dark. Better to work with more information than less.

Palmer is coasting hard fucking core though. Like, look at all those posts with nothing in them but Overwatch and Warhammer! Palmer plz.

(Between Ri'orius and Chair I prefer Ri'orius but Chair isn't far away in terms of coast levels. And then there's Mazre...)

WIFOM says I should keep my vote on you, sorry Kris. I'm open to discussion about tea coasters but my vote stays until the 24 hours or some sudden developments.

In the games I've read, there are some pretty typical behaviors when town figures out a scum candidate. Usually there's a mix of:

1. Claim a role. If another player doubts something in it, claim another role to explain why it necessary to lie. Repeat until lynched.

2. Deflect. Pick a player that isn't active, or that no one likes, and try to start a vote on that player.

3. Attack the accuser. If a player found an inconsistency in the scum player's tactics, the scum will try to discredit that player.

4. Insult accusers. If players suggest they may be mafia, scum will try to make the accuser doubt their own arguments, with the goal of getting the accuser to be quiet, or even go as far as backing down on the accusation.

5. Be confusing. Say a bunch of stuff that sounds important but doesn't quite make sense. Aim to get the town team to leave scum for another day, on the basis that if they keep explaining it will eventually make sense.

6. Give up. Posts start to sound defeated and uninterested. Occasionally the scum player will admit they're on the mafia team and ask for a quick vote.

7. Use role claims of high value so Town is scared to lynch scum player. Push for opposing role claims from Town players in order to get good targets.

8. Fish for any information that scum team is missing. If Town players aren't talking about extra information from role pms and night moves, keep bringing up various theories that could be contradicted by Town information. Has the benefit of distracting uncertain townies from the suspicious behavior of the scum that's been caught.

So here's the thing I had typed up at some point in the past. After a couple of days and a few votes, Haly displayed #3, 4 and 6, with an option on 2. It's purely a supplemental argument and not my main argument.

@Haly, you seem to have misunderstood my point in post 201 if you think it was about post counts. It was not.
You had come out with a post tracking participants, but it was bad. A third of it was wrong. I challenged the value of it, and you went to correct it. The corrected post took into account the fact that magnumboy had JUST posted, which was surprisingly accurate compared to your previous efforts. It seemed plausible that you knew he was about to post, due to discussion elsewhere.

@kristoffer Your attempts to rally votes like some sort of lobbyist is weird to me. Do you have a comment on the behavior?

roytheone

I just lined my brain with eyes, and I see more clearly now. All this talk about Haly really is sucking all of the air out of this room. The discussion is founded on nothing and is not worth the consideration. If you have placed your vote based on who is talking the most, then you've wasted it. This is a fairly common day 1 trap; by the rule of recency, the most talkative hunters here are the most deliberated, and so we have greater propensity to vote for them. Instead we should focus on coasters. However, if you're currently voting for someone that has just 1 vote, then you've also wasted it. We're here to build consensus, so let's actually discuss and convince rather than OMGUS'ing.

Of the top 4 players being voted on currently, Haly and I are just not worth the time. We're out there, we're contributing, so there will be plenty of vote evidence later on. If either of us are scum, then voting for us now means in later days the coasters will have no evidence against them because they can gleefully bandwagon and we're back at square one. If either of us are town, you miss out on some good contributors (Haly, I think you are a good contributor!) and you miss out on having two good sleuths.

So that leaves Ri and Chair. I'm sure everyone is a little more inclined to vote for Ri, and I was too, but I realized that Seath was attacking Ri, and Chair quickly defended Seath. In fact, Chair really has skated by with like... 3 meaningless posts. I think Seath is definitely suspicious, and out of the 3 of them, at least one of them is scum. So it really comes down to: do you distrust Ri, or do you distrust Chair and Seath? And when you phrase it that way, I think Freakinchair is actually a much better choice. If he flips dirty, it potentially gives us more information about Seath and Ri simultaneously.

I think this is worth the day's vote. It's hard to come by a situation as opportunistic as this. So I urge everyone to reconsider their vote and potentially vote for Chair. That includes you, Haly! I'm sticking my neck out for you.

I...actually agree. I think either Ri'orius or Chair are our best options for today. I think there is one scum between those two. Chair had that really weird post about scum piling onto seath because he had "found" scum in Ri'orius, which made no sense. Ri'orius has those weird posts where he says he mostly wants to vote no lynch or seath, but then ends up voting for someone else since the other options were apparently already off the table....only halfway through day 1. Both are also in the "low activity but not the lowest activity" category, where I expect some scum to be, especially on day 1. As an added bonus, one is pro seath, while the other is anti seath. With seath being a hard player to read, Ri'roius and/or Chair their flips could help us with that.

Grab your family and head on down to historic Oedon Chapel, one of the Greatest and Oldest buildings in all of Yharnam.
After a solemn walk through its hallowed cemetery, the fun begins inside. Marvel at the antique library full of records of saints and miracles. Umbasa!
Stay the night in the prayer area, where it's said you can still hear whispers of heroes from an age gone by who were laid to rest deep within the chapel.
Creeped out by the old statues and sculptures? Worry not, for Oedon offers a special Kids Night where we'll be sure to cater to all of your small ones' needs.
Of course, a night at Oedon isn't complete without a tour courtesy of one of Yharnam's most knowledgeable figures. Enjoy yourself while learning of our town's storied history at the same time!
In times of strife and hardship, Oedon Chapel was the safest place in all of Yharnam where one could lay their head without a hint of danger, and that hospitable quality still persists nowadays.
Good times abound, only at Oedon Chapel! But
N҉e҉v҉e҉r҉ ҉f҉o҉r҉g҉e҉t҉:҉
҉E҉v҉e҉r҉y҉ ҉m҉a҉n҉ ҉h҉a҉s҉ ҉h҉i҉s҉ ҉b҉r҉e҉a҉k҉i҉n҉g҉ ҉p҉o҉i҉n҉t҉

Top Bottom