• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bar MAFIA |OT| There's Gonna Be Shots

nin1000

Banned
The bathroom scene is mostly all flavor; it's never said how many people are talking, just that they're trying to bring down the bar. They're talking about possible targets, like who could be a threat or something, and there's a bit about one of them keeping watch on people, like I said earlier. Surveillance and all that. It's mentioned that one of them has a really deep, gravely voice, and another says "bruh" a lot, but I don't know if this is just flavor or something else. It's never specified.

There's a part about them wanting to bring down the bar because they're in cahoots with Kingsley's competitor. I had placed the bug under the sink, in case you wanted to know for some reason.

so all flavour and nothing specific? Thats very odd to say the least.

nin1000

Banned
new page, new drinks! Cheers !
kids_boys_drinking_alcohol-612x300.jpg

batsnacks

It sounds like Wherearemahdragonz got a watcher or tracker action and saw 1 person visit another person. The bathroom stuff (lol bathroom stuff) sounds like flavor.

Wherearenahdragonz unless one of the people in the bathroom got night killed, you probably want to keep that info to yourself for now.

batsnacks

Actually I don't know if I'm reading that right the claim is weird as hell.

My understanding is that you
(1)visited PERSON A
(2)saw PERSON A and PERSON B in the bathroom together (meaning PERSON A used a night action on PERSON B or PERSON A and PERSON B are masons)

Actually I don't know if I'm reading that right the claim is weird as hell.

My understanding is that you
(1)visited PERSON A
(2)saw PERSON A and PERSON B in the bathroom together (meaning PERSON A used a night action on PERSON B or PERSON A and PERSON B are masons)

I didn't see anyone, I heard it. I mean I assumed it was just scum team talking based on the flavor but it could be a mason type deal.

This is why I'm saying it feels more like an ongoing investigation than anything; like you don't start a case knowing all the facts.

batsnacks

I am not understanding the mechanics of your role. What action do you actually do at night?

Do you just get a PM that says

WARNING you have been given a task from [REDACTED] do you wish to complete this vague task y/n?

And then you "y" and get a PM about people in the bathroom?

If he had been scum, Kingsley would have berated him and told him to get off the damn bar. Town's message is being given the birthday shot, which he was.

Thanks. This makes sense. I'm guessing it was one-shot so if you had been dodgy about explaining I would've been suspicious because there's no reason to be.

On the other hand, I still don't get dragonz' claim, and maybe I'm tunneling on her but I thought she was suspicious as fuck before the night phase and I haven't seen much to sway me since. Just feels like a weird role she's trying to claim, it's got so much flavor and seems like so little substance. To be fair though I wasn't expecting a bunch of complicated roles in this game for some reason, and then Crab busts out a Crazy 8 thing, and we have some chat-based jailer and a forger and shit?

I am not understanding the mechanics of your role. What action do you actually do at night?

Do you just get a PM that says

WARNING you have been given a task from [REDACTED] do you wish to complete this vague task y/n?

And then you "y" and get a PM about people in the bathroom?

In my role PM, there are a handful of available actions (like one of Crab's was Happy birthday), and then each night I am given a scenario. "we have received Intel that x thing is happening, how do you wish to proceed?". There are more details and flavor than that but that's the gist of it. And then I choose to submit an action, and the scenario plays out. So if it sounds particularly dangerous, and I choose to do something risky, and it succeeds, then I get info. It could be about anything it seems. I'm pretty sure the success / fail rate is RNG but I don't know for sure.

nin1000

Banned
I didn't see anyone, I heard it. I mean I assumed it was just scum team talking based on the flavor but it could be a mason type deal.

This is why I'm saying it feels more like an ongoing investigation than anything; like you don't start a case knowing all the facts.

Let me get this straight.

You did not see anyone, and the info you got was pure Fluff ?

your role sure sounds useless. Seriously what the hell is that ?

why should we take anything you give us as "information" as something worth noting since you dont even gain any intel ? i am very confused atm.

nin1000

Banned
In my role PM, there are a handful of available actions (like one of Crab's was Happy birthday), and then each night I am given a scenario. "we have received Intel that x thing is happening, how do you wish to proceed?". There are more details and flavor than that but that's the gist of it. And then I choose to submit an action, and the scenario plays out. So if it sounds particularly dangerous, and I choose to do something risky, and it succeeds, then I get info. It could be about anything it seems. I'm pretty sure the success / fail rate is RNG but I don't know for sure.

What did you decide to do this night then ?

SalvaPot

Please enlighten us Salva. No need to Beat the bush around the clock.

The problem with WAMD role is that is very similar to crab's, with the added trouble that crab already kind of proved his own role (Unless he is lying and he only had that one ability).

Crab's ability is really powerful in that its something that we can see and confirm, meanwhile WAMD is all based on what she says, so its hard to confirm unless she give us information that leads to a correct lynch of a scum player.

And, if both are town-aligned players, then we have the following problems:

-How scum is balanced to counter this multiple choice abilities.
-How many protecting roles we have to keep this two players safe.

I think we are going to see one of them die tonight, chances are scum would rather target crab, since he is pretty much confirmed, but so will a doctor. And if WAMD is saying the truth (And scum will know, in this case), then that paints a huge target on her too.

What I am saying is we are likely losing a very important role next night in either of this players.

Kyanrute

Exo, what can you tell us about yourself? Share what you feel is shareable.

dragonz, I'll try to put the way I think your role works into a list of sorts so if you could correct me if there are any errors, it would be fancy indeed.

1. There are two connected roles: you and some other. The other knows you but you do not know them. You are town aligned. Do you know the alignment of your handler?
2. During the night, you get a task. From whom does the task come from, from the handler? Do you have to do the task or can you refuse?
3. You have a multiple actions which you can use to do the task. Do you know or have any idea what the actions do?
4. The whole bugging a bathroom scum meeting thing, was this in response to you sending a command?

dragonz, since you are into this explaining thing mind explaining some more?

What did you decide to do this night then ?

At risk of revealing even more to scum, I'm not going to say. I don't want them to know the extent of what I have available to me.

dragonz, since you are into this explaining thing mind explaining some more?

No, I do not know their alignment, but I'm assuming it is town. I just know that they exist and they know me. Well, everyone know as of now but that's besides the point.

I get the task from the handler, yes. I suppose I could refuse, there's nothing that explicitly says I couldn't. Don't know why I wouldn't do anything though, even if it puts me at risk.

I was given a general description of each; very bare bones. I suppose that's to help me decide which one to use for each task, but I do not know what the outcome of the mission will be.

I was given a mission, and I submitted an action. The bathroom scene is the result of that.

To be honest Dragonz, your role sounds way to complicated to be feasible.

Maybe i'm misinterpreting, but it seems like over the course of a night phase:

i. Your handler instructs you to spy on a player.

ii. You choose to either accept/refuse the mission

iii. You're given a report on your target's night actions.

Again this is all over the course of one night phase. Is this correct?

If so,

who was the player you were sent to spy on?

What did they do?

And does anyone want to come forward and confirm that they are dragonz' handler?

---

We already have a Jailor, a Forger, a Mario Kart Player, a bartender, presumably a doctor, and now a spy. and a handler as well?

I feel like that is too many roles, especially since the handler's role becomes essentially useless once the spy has been lynched...

Timeaisis

To be honest Dragonz, your role sounds way to complicated to be feasible.

Maybe i'm misinterpreting, but it seems like over the course of a night phase:

i. Your handler instructs you to spy on a player.

ii. You choose to either accept/refuse the mission

iii. You're given a report on your target's night actions.

Again this is all over the course of one night phase. Is this correct?

If so,

who was the player you were sent to spy on?

What did they do?

And does anyone want to come forward and confirm that they are dragonz' handler?

---

We already have a Jailor, a Forger, a Mario Kart Player, a bartender, presumably a doctor, and now a spy. and a handler as well?

I feel like that is too many roles, especially since the handler's role becomes essentially useless once the spy has been lynched...

This is where I'm at as well. It sounds almost too complex. And then of course the fact that it literally gave no information last night, unless I'm misreading something.

Timeaisis

For reference, here's the votes for AbsolutBro. I did find it to be a little bandwagon-y, but it was somewhat slow.

It's been a full 36 hours since i called out AbsoluteBro for his inactivity and nothing...

vote: absolutBro

Dusk started the vote, but he's confirmed town.

Batsnacks then does kind of a recap on everyone, including AB:

absolutbro - dusk called him out and catvoca is sheeping dusk. lynching this person we get rid of one of the worst under the radar people and we learn about a lot about dusk and a little about catvoca. absolutbro was giving out newbie advice at the beginning of the game a townie that's doing that should be excited to contribute. the extent of absolutbro's contributions have been the newbie advice and him defending himself.

Crab then votes for AB.

I am content with Hyperactivity, Dusk Soldier, or AbsolutBro. Either of the first two because I want to figure out what was up with the strange interactions between them, AbsolutBro because he's just floating along and it unnerves me. For now:

VOTE: AbsolutBro

Crab vote AB. Gives the justification that it's a vote for inactivity. It's worth noting Crab changes his vote to Splinter pretty quickly, after Splinter encourages people to "pick sides". I think this is justified, was a weird play by Splinter.

Now we get the batsnacks AB vote a few minutes after the crab one.

Vote: AbsolutBro

am happy to consolidate onto TheExodu5 and MattyG.

Batsnacks puts his vote on AB.

Two hours pass until another vote on AB. There's some discussion on what an AB vote gains us, and that he's inactive and probably will be replaced anyway. Exodu5 also reveals he's the bartender, without giving us too much information on it. It's not until Kyan that an AB vote starts gaining traction.

Exo's early posts refer to drink serving and such. Next.

Or we could kill Retroid.
So Kyan decides AB is the next in line. Not a lot of justification, but seemingly because AB is the next highest voted at this point. This seems to be where the bandwagon truly begins.

Welp I just got into work but I saw Exodu5's claim.

Vote: AbsolutBro

He's my second choice.

Pretty much same fore WAMD. Saw that we were ate Exodu5 vs AB and Exodu5 claimed, so went to AB. Also, very bandwagony.

This is also around the time WAMD gets a bunch of votes. WAMD gets up to 5 (had like 2-3 floating for a while, got two relatively quickly by Barry and Splinter). So then we've got 5 for WAMD and 4 for AB. Exodu5 is pretty much moved off in favor of one of AB (see above votes).

Vote: absolutbro

I'd rather see a tie or see who is brave enough to break the tie.

So now Exodu5 ties it up. He had a vote on batsnacks.

it's 3:59 and I'm scared

We're still tied 5-5

Not ok with this.

And then we have Hyper and Splinter voting in the last minute to break the tie. Don't really justify why they are voting for AB over Hyper, but there it is.

So that's what went down. So what does this mean. Well, I'll have some more thoughts tomorrow after because I have to go to sleep right now. But what sticks out to me?

1) Kyan and WAMD's vote for AB in the middle seem strange. There doesn't seem to be a lot of justification for them other than they are moving off of Exodu5 after his roleclaim. Seems like AB is a "safe" vote to move to from Exodu5, since AB is inactive. Could've just unvoted?

2) TheExodu5 purposefully causing a tie seems odd. If AB was some super scummy dude I could see it being justified, but to risk the game and vote AB who, by all accounts is "kind of just floating by" without particularly being a top scum candidate, to me, seems weird.

That's all I got for now.

So that's what went down. So what does this mean. Well, I'll have some more thoughts tomorrow after because I have to go to sleep right now. But what sticks out to me?

1) Kyan and WAMD's vote for AB in the middle seem strange. There doesn't seem to be a lot of justification for them other than they are moving off of Exodu5 after his roleclaim. Seems like AB is a "safe" vote to move to from Exodu5, since AB is inactive. Could've just unvoted?

2) TheExodu5 purposefully causing a tie seems odd. If AB was some super scummy dude I could see it being justified, but to risk the game and vote AB who, by all accounts is "kind of just floating by" without particularly being a top scum candidate, to me, seems weird.

That's all I got for now.

Good stuff Timeaisis. Exo's role claim really shook things up, and there was a lot of movement at the very end of the day, which is interesting to look back on. I can kiiiiinda see where you're coming from with Kyan, but as far as Dragonz I think she'd want to bandwagon anybody at that point so she doesn't get lynched, right? Her move seems to be for self-preservation which I think anybody would do on Day 1. So that particular move doesn't seem scummy to me, ironically though I still think she's scum anyway. Her role claim at the last minute and explanation since hasn't really swayed me too much. Just comes off as fishy to me. But I want to look broadly as much as possible on Day 2 to see what I missed.

I agree with the purposefully causing a tie, though. Seems he could've done it to avoid any responsibility one way or the other, OR just to watch the (bar) burn, which I'm not sure is any better... unless he's a neutral role or something? Not sure yet.

Kyanrute

Some musings on the recent topics before diving into yesterday.

Crab is cool and so is Dusk. There is a absurd case where they both are scum and made a real bold gambit to gain #townpoints but were this the case, they just outed themselves if either of them gets caught someway in the future. I see no reason not to trust them for now.

dragonz's role seems unorthodox as hell. Without digging too deep into the metagaming hell; what we've seen so far of the roles out there, there hasn't been anything that special. A neutral jailer and a JOAT. dragonz is clearly the odd one out with her role that does not have a clear pro and could lead to her death if she targets the wrong person. I have other issues with her claim as well. The very nature of the claim, six minutes before the day end is incredibly scummy. It is the very definition of a desperate move, trying to swing the vote at the last possible moment. Also, the information she received for successfully completing the mission does not seem that amazing at all. If she is what she claims to be, I could see her being a distraction to possible investigative roles but that does not seem to add up with what she's said about herself. Lots of words, not a lot of substance. Suspicious.

Time points out that the way I jumped on the Absoluttrain seemed rather hasty. I can see where you are coming from, if you only took a look at the vote post, but this is not the case. The vote was made 30 minutes before the end, right after I checked that Exodu5's early posts contained possible breadcrumbs. There was no need to unvote, I wanted somebody to die and I was going to be present til the end so I was certain I could change the vote should it be needed. When I voted for Exodu5 in #1057, I lined up my list of preferred candidates should Exodu5 not happen. Absolut was the second on that list. I had voiced my suspicions of him way back in #621. With this, it should be clear that the vote itself did not come out of the blue.

Catvoca

Banned
So I've been thinking more about this Forger role, and if you'll forgive me for looking a little at the flavour, I have a few ideas about it. Kyanrute pointed out that a forger usually forges someones will in other Mafia variations, but since that obviously won't happen in our game we have to look at what they are forging, and in this case it's "fake ID's".There's two things that jump to mind on what a fake ID could do. It could be that it makes a player mistake someone for someone else, sort of like a switcher where someone uses an action on player X, but it happens on player Y because they have a fake ID for a different person. Something like along those lines. Or the other possibility I see is that a Fake ID gives someone like a Godfather type ability where if someone checks them they get the wrong result. The latter would obviously be a scum role, not sure on the former but I don't think this forger is a town role regardless.

Catvoca

Banned
Couldn't the forget be neutral, like the jailer? It would make sense for them to be a neutral "pair" so to speak.

They could be sure, that's what people where saying last page but I'm just theorizing on what the role could mean, and I could easily see it being a scum role.

nin1000

Banned
dragonz's role seems unorthodox as hell. Without digging too deep into the metagaming hell; what we've seen so far of the roles out there, there hasn't been anything that special. A neutral jailer and a JOAT. dragonz is clearly the odd one out with her role that does not have a clear pro and could lead to her death if she targets the wrong person. I have other issues with her claim as well. The very nature of the claim, six minutes before the day end is incredibly scummy. It is the very definition of a desperate move, trying to swing the vote at the last possible moment. Also, the information she received for successfully completing the mission does not seem that amazing at all. If she is what she claims to be, I could see her being a distraction to possible investigative roles but that does not seem to add up with what she's said about herself. Lots of words, not a lot of substance. Suspicious.

Indeed, the last minute half baked 'claim' and the fact that nothing substantial has been brought up to the table forces me to be incredibly suspicious of you dragon but my vote will go on one of the inactives one for now.

zeemumu

Hi there i dont know you and would like you to speak up a bit :) what are your thoughts on the game currently.

Since we are almost 36 hours into the new day it amazes me how little activity this thread has had.

Players:

01 [m] timetokill - New checked in
02 [m] Catvoca - did not check in
03 [m] tomakasatnav did only react not really there
04 [f] WhereAreMahDragonz checked in
05 [m] Kyanrute checked in
06 [m] euphemism who? Still Mia
07 [m]A Human Becoming [f] Tar-Miriel - New still missing
08 [m] Crab checked in
09 [m] Retroid did not really check in
10 [f] StackpoleH [m] zeemumu - New did not really check in
11 [m] Dusk Soldier checked in
12 [m] TheExodu5 still missing
13 [m] MattyG still missing
14 [m] Ourobolus did check in
15 [m] batsnacks still missing
16 [m] SalvaPot checked in
17 [m] AbsolutBro - DEAD
18 [m] Barrylocke did not really check in
19 [m] nin1000 checked in
20 [m] *Splinter - DEAD
21 [m] Timeaisis checked in
22 [m] Hyperactivity for being hyper he is incredibly silent
23 [m] kingkitty - DEAD

That's 11 players who did only made one reaction post or are still missing in action!

That's a lot of inactives and i hope this changes in the coming hours, I for one expect scum to hide in those since atm mafia is not forced to talk. We are making it pretty easy for them to stay silent since we aren't forcing everyone to talk.

nin1000

Banned
I stand corrected, batsnacks did indeed check in and asked wamd what the hell his role was. On mobile now, that's no excuse but an explanation.

Kyanrute

I took a look at the d1 vote record. Not much there, day one after all. But lets poke some folk.

MattyG, SalvaPot, is Ouro scum? Why?

Timeaisis, what made you vote for Dusk “Town” Soldier and what made you keep your vote on him til the end?

#pointcalculator awards n #townpoints for Crab for his consistency with Dusk Soldier. Vote into police action yaaaay.

euphemism, why the vote on SalvaPot? Just how scum is he?

stackpoleH, still up for timetokill kill (seewhatididthere)?

Ouro, just how much should we kill Retroid today?

Retroid, why shouldn’t we kill you today?

is cool.

nin1000

Banned
sure i am ok with a retroid kill today

good suggestion, kyan

lets not get too hasty and lets look at the following players first will we Ouro ?

Players who did not really check in
03 [m] tomakasatnav
06 [m] euphemism
07 [m]A Human Becoming [f] Tar-Miriel - New
09 [m] Retroid
10 [f] StackpoleH [m] zeemumu - New
12 [m] TheExodu5
13 [m] MattyG
18 [m] Barrylocke

Used to love a hooch when I was a teen.

Let me go back and see what's happened with wamd since the start of day 2. Still don't feel right with claiming spy but no mention of the role name Day 1.

Top Bottom