• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Gems that most people missed

Jay Sosa

Azure Phoenix said:
I'd be surprised if anyone knows about this gem. It's a bizzare game where you have to sneak around a hotel full of strange boxy creatures, spying on them to learn their daily routines so you can steal their souls without them catching you and subjecting you to a "horror show".

I read about it in some german forum, looked interesting but not too exciting so I passed on it.

EDIT: I already complained about it in the other thread, could you pleaaaase be so kind and write a sentence or two about the game? I'm sure it's easier just posting pics but not very helpful..

oracrest said:
Rule of Rose.

rose-1.jpg

Absolute complete opposite of gem. One of my top 10 worst games ever.

Coen

Azure Phoenix said:
*Gregory Horror Show pic*

I'd be surprised if anyone knows about this gem. It's a bizzare game where you have to sneak around a hotel full of strange boxy creatures, spying on them to learn their daily routines so you can steal their souls without them catching you and subjecting you to a "horror show".

Seconded.
Great weird game, but it wasn't released stateside if I remember correctly. I also really liked Shox and that Transformers game of the top of my head.

Baloonatic said:
My main choice.

Untitled.jpg

Hmm wonder why.

Yeah seconding this. It feels like an old-school Resident Evil only with better controls and the ability to regain health without the use of items(though that's available too). It's really neat, good looking, violent, and cheap as all hell.

The Red Star - Decent little arcade-style game that's a bit of a brawler and a bit of an arena shooter. It's quite nice.

Taito Legends 2 - Voted by me as the best arcade compilation on the PS2. Not exactly a lot of competition there but it grabs about 75% of the good games off the Taito Memories sets and it costs like $4 in stores these days.

Urban Reign - One of the best beatemups on the PS2. Again no competition there but whatevs it fucking rocks. Amazing context sensitive actions and pretty brutal

Beatdown: Fists of Vengeance - Yeah sorry I love this game. The game borders between competent and "fuck this shit" but it's a better Suikoden game than Suikoden IV at least and it's goofy fun if you let your guard down.

King's Field The Ancient City - I've seen this at Gamestop for $3. WTF. It's slow-paced as all hell but it has great atmosphere and some great areas to explore and conquer. It gets easier as you progress through. =/

Shadow of Rome - Slaughter people for fame, freedom, and most importantly fun. Having to do stealth missions is hella dumb(make it a separate mode for people who get their rocks off on political intrigue and espionage BS) and some of the fights suck when you can't find a good weapon but there's hardly anything like decapitating multiple people at once while being bombarded with awards that double as stupid puns. "Boy that sure cost him an arm and a leg!"

Blood Will Tell - These days it feels almost old-fashioned. Action-Adventure where a dude made out of spare parts has to get back his body from demons. While playing as some annoying kid gets old quickly there's some fun to be had in slashing, watching numbers rise, and killing a bunch of dumb bosses. The story is worth a chuckle every now and then(like when the hero gets his voice back).

RickA238

I've always wondered how this game plays and controls, is it fun or a chore?
Does it have tank controls?

And +1 for I-Ninja(great fun game).

Extermination controls great, more like an action game; no tank controls. I bought it day 1 and I've always had a soft spot for it. I think it's a great game. I really like games set in Antarctica too, so that helps. Imagine a slightly lower-production RE4 released 3.5 years earlier.

Pepboy

562893_45380_front.jpg

Super fun PS1 game... sort of like monopoly but set in a mall. You go around stocking your stores with various goods, but if anyone buys all of the goods in your store, they can buy the store space and open their own store! Makes for a pretty great time.

Can be had for about 5-20 dollars

HYDE said:
I've always wondered how this game plays and controls, is it fun or a chore?
Does it have tank controls?

And +1 for I-Ninja(great fun game).

extermination controls like shit.

it's a middle ground between resident evil 1/2/3 and re4/5 in term of camera and movements, but it's really rough around the edges. aiming can be a pain in the ass and characters animation are a bit too mechanical, especially involving interactions with the enviroment.

Manaka

Radiata Stories is a good choice- the world (and of course most of all the city) tri-Ace created was really lovely- it certainly was a game that was very pleasant to play and to look at.
Hope they try something like this again sometimes soon, even after they already released two "odd" games with Resonance of Fate and Infinite Undiscovery (not a VP or SO title).

Ring of Red had some really really great ideas, but I think the execution was not always that good- would love a sequel which improved upon it, making the battles much faster etc.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Untitled.jpg

Hmm wonder why.

Well, what can I say, I really do adore the game :) The atmosphere and aesthetic just appeal to me so much. The story really isn't half bad either. I play through it a couple of times a year and it's still great.

Agree with Blood Will Tell as well, really enjoyed that game. Some of the boss designs are pretty cool.

I do enjoy threads like these. Just when I think I've got everything I can out of the PS2 I learn about more games I like the look of.

Jay Sosa

Rul of Roses, Extermination and Bujingai look very interesting, can anyone please tell me if they support widescreen and or PS?

Wikipedia list says no, but is often wrong.

Takao

Banned
TransformersCOVERps2.jpg
s22648_ps2_69.jpg

Third person shooter that is gorgeous. The best Transformers game ever made.

932665_75031_front.jpg
superdbzscreen02.jpg

Great fighter developed by many of the minds behind Street Fighter II.

There are also a bunch of great platformers like Ty, Tak, etc. When I'm less lazy I'll look through the shelves and see what sticks out.

rocK`

Banned
250px-EOE_-_Eve_of_Extinction.jpg

probably the only person that played this game
and liked it..

though that cover art suffers from MM1 syndrome

edit: better cover art

Echo Night Beyond - Excellent survival horror title by From Software. The game involves exploring a haunted space station on the moon to find what happened to your fiancee. There is no combat in the game and it eschews a traditional health system for a heart rate monitor, which goes up when you encounter a ghost or some other sign of paranormal activity, and if you let your heart rate get to high you suffer a heart attack and die. The game is absolutely oozing with atmosphere and is a must play for fans of the genre. The fact that it received mediocre review scores is further proof that mainstream reviewers don't know shit.

Jay Sosa

Flying_Phoenix said:
YES! Odin Sphere was amazing. Grimgrimoire was a nice little gem of a RTS.

Odin Sphere would have been amaziong If you didn't have to do the same shit again and again and again and again. There weren't even new enemies or anything if you played with a different character in the same stages all over again.. Gameplay is dull and repetetive as hell and then you have do basically finish the game 5 or 6 times and of course have to beat the bosses in the correct order? Man I was pissed while playing this game especially when I realized that shit with the bosses..

The story, the ending, the stunning graphics and the gorgeous style made it worth though

outside of Japan:
suym1i.jpg

and I blame all you non-buyers for not getting MH2 in the west (I actually played the jp version but no online play for me and my experienced hunter buddies).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I played it on the Xbox and loved it but it's also on PS2.
2550rib.jpg

Gladius
If you didn't play it, it was a turned based strategy/rpg game where you played as gladiators who had different skills like brutes, snipers etc. It had co-op play as well.
The combat is kinda similar to Valkyria Chronicles in the way it works.

rocK` said:
250px-EOE_-_Eve_of_Extinction.jpg

probably the only person that played this game
and liked it..

though that cover art suffers from MM1 syndrome

edit: better cover art
Man, i have a copy of that thing sitting around... unplayed... Let's see what metacritic says....

"A decent little action game to pass the time away, but only if you're desperate"
"less than enjoyable game"
"A game that could've been so much more has turned into a pile of... well, crap."
"one big mess"
"awful camera and limited gameplay"
"If trudging your way through uninspired level after level, button bashing through a bunch of mindless drones to finish up with some of the most unimaginative bosses in videogames history is your idea of fun then go for it."

Yeah, well, nevermind.
i'm kinda curious now!!!

Footos22

°°ToMmY°° said:
extermination controls like shit.

it's a middle ground between resident evil 1/2/3 and re4/5 in term of camera and movements, but it's really rough around the edges. aiming can be a pain in the ass and characters animation are a bit too mechanical, especially involving interactions with the enviroment.

It does control like shit (kinda) but your fully upgradable weapon was pretty cool back then

and the last boss is fucking awesome

My first ps2 game along with ring of red and onimusha

great first choices to be honest.
played ring of red to death reminded me a little of front mission 3, one of my favourite games ever

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
TheThunder said:
Downhill_Domination_Coverart.png

Awesome awesome game. I remember one summer me and my brother and two cousins played all the way through taking turns, such a rush when your blazing down a mountain.

I hope we see an HD version on PSN

had high hopes for this one. after steering me in the right direction on AGGRESSIVE INLINE, i was hoping unofficial playstation magazine (which i think at the time i was receiving after gameplayers got discontinued) was right about this one being equally as good. it wasn't quite what i was looking for at the time, but it was really interesting and neat--sort of a downhill ROAD RASH on bmx. i'm going to try and find a copy cheap and give it another go, actually.

aerts1js

radiataart1.jpg

Radiata Stories. Great game! The artstyle was good and the graphics looked fantastic. The voice acting was also pretty well done but the ending was terrible although I believe there were multiple ones.

glaurung

spartan_cover.jpg

Although Spartan was pretty much broken in places and could freeze your PS2 with some heavy fireworks, it was awesome when it worked.

dock

51VEDJXQ2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

(known as Disaster Report in USA)
This is like a survival horror game where the enemy is the environment. This game is based specifically around an earthquake scenario, and it's really awesome.

51QoxV17umL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The sequel is based on floods, but has a very similar sort of feel. It's even better than the first game though, and the multiple characters with crossing storylines are excellent. One of the later scenarios (starring a school student) is completely peripheral and awesome.

I'm tempted to buy a PSP just to play the third game in this series. :(

glaurung

RedNumberFive said:
I'm curious as to how that guy "wipes himself".
Heh, most of his internal organs were replaced by machinery or something.

By the end of the game he gets his organs and intestine back, but by then he already has hands as well.

Awesome game, but ruined for me by the stupid stealth minigames with the auxiliary kawaii girl character.

Top Bottom