• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pirate Claims to Have Cracked Denuvo on ROTTR

Social

Wish that denuvo would be removed after the game being out for a month, that way it stops affecting performance.

I can run ROTTR with good performance on my 750ti. I doubt the "performance hit" is actually something worth thinking about.

Herne

Uhh that game has online authentication, please tell me how pirates were playing online.

I doubt it has happened, because nobody cares about Hardline, but games with online authentication have been bypassed before by changing the ip address of the authentication site, or just by using some network like Hamachi or something through LAN play.

Serious question: is Denuvo the reason that when I try to launch ROTTR it errors out with 'The Server is not reachable' even though I've run the game before?

Denuvo is a secondary anti-piracy software... It's designed to prevent the modification of a game. It's not the actual anti-piracy software (the thing that prevents you from playing a copy, including online activation).

What Denuvo does is prevent you from modifying the file to remove the primary anti-piracy measures.

So no, at least not directly, it's not the reason for your issues.

CryptiK

Denuvo is a secondary anti-piracy software... It's designed to prevent the modification of a game. It's not the actual anti-piracy software (the thing that prevents you from playing a copy, including online activation).

What Denuvo does is prevent you from modifying the file to remove the primary anti-piracy measures.

So no, at least not directly, it's not the reason for your issues.
Not entirely correct. Denuvo has Auth servers where it downloads tiny parts of the games to continue on(in simple terms). So yes thats why he would be getting that error.

I don't know how the DRM is implemented but why not use Denuvo for that time only and unlock after? If doesn't affect sales after and what could happen to games using Denuvo in the future.

Well, you have to ask that not to Denuvo staff, but to the game companies using Denuvo.

---

About these claims, BS until they release it out in the wild. It's very easy to say you've cracked something and then let it stay private because 'reasons'.

Akronis

I doubt it has happened, because nobody cares about Hardline, but games with online authentication have been bypassed before by changing the ip address of the authentication site, or just by using some network like Hamachi or something through LAN play.

Yea, I have a hard time believing that anti-piracy software is the reason a game sells well, especially a multiplayer only game.

COD wasn't ruined on PC because of AlterIW.

Wish that denuvo would be removed after the game being out for a month, that way it stops affecting performance.

You should stop believing every BS rumor you read on Internet. For example Doom uses Denuvo and it runs great.

The last Total War runs as good or better than previous TW game that didn't use Denuvo.

Deadstar

You should stop believing every BS rumor you read on Internet. For example Doom uses Denuvo and it runs great.

The last Total War runs as good or better than previous TW game that didn't use Denuvo.

I just heard it affects performance. If it doesn't then I was wrong. I was mainly referring to Hitman. The performance isn't great for the video card that I have. I have always wondered if the DRM was part of the cause. Even if I only lose 5 fps I'd rather it be taken out. Maybe we should have the option of paying $20 to remove denuvo from steam games.

You have no idea what you are talking about, do you?

Denuvo authenticates online. It isn't just 'anti tamper' as they pr-ed

When these authentication servers go down you will no longer be able to reinstall your games on a new pc after you upgrade.

It's inevitable

Whether you care about what happens in the future is up to you, but it is what it is

Akronis

I just heard it affects performance. If it doesn't then I was wrong. I was mainly referring to Hitman. The performance isn't great for the video card that I have. I have always wondered if the DRM was part of the cause. Even if I only lose 5 fps I'd rather it be taken out. Maybe we should have the option of paying $20 to remove denuvo from steam games.

There hasn't been literally anything that proves it affects performance. HITMAN is just an intensive game.

daninthemix

likely ... do you have screen?

untitledv3s4o.png

Z3M0G

I've only become aware of this DRM solution over the past couple of days. I haven't gamed on PC in a couple years.

Is this an Always-Online DRM? It sounds like a god-send for practically "saving" PC gaming, but what are the limitations to the player?

daninthemix

I've only become aware of this DRM solution over the past couple of days. I haven't gamed on PC in a couple years.

Is this an Always-Online DRM? It sounds like a god-send for practically "saving" PC gaming, but what are the limitations to the player?

Well in my limited experience it's certainly at least an 'randomly-on' DRM. If you lose web access or their server goes down, you'll randomly be unable to play the game.

cRIPticon

Wait, so Denuvo's official position is that they'd just like to remain uncracked during an initial "sales" window, and don't actually attempt to be uncrackable long term?

*NOTHING* is "uncrackable". Denuvo's solution seems to be the most secure yet and that is a good thing in protecting the developer's ability to generate revenue during the most critical time period for the vast majority of games.

Tagyhag

If what you say is true, then there would no reason for companies to put this in their games.

They might be doing it for peace of mind.

We have seen no actual proof that Denuvo games sell so much better than those without it.

Maybe we will know more when 3DM's year hiatus passes, I assume that they're keeping data themselves.

tuxfool

Banned
Well in my limited experience it's certainly at least an 'randomly-on' DRM. If you lose web access or their server goes down, you'll randomly be unable to play the game.

What Denuvo does is verify the integrity of the executable. So every time there is a patch it needs to re-verify the signature of the program to the information stored in their servers. That is how most games do it but I'm not sure if it can operate in a different mode.

prudislav

PC gaming has been on the rise for quite a while (without denuvo) for example with all the recent flood of japenese games. Denuvo just catches a ride with this "golden age" and their massive maketing claimed they are the saviours...

As for what it is protection solution from the minds that brought us securom , but with changed name thx to management buy out.... as for the protection itself its kinda like evolution of securom mixed wih VMProtect without most of the problematic stuff that taken them down before and with marketing push to not be called DRM but antitampers. Its not full on online-only, but it has some kind of offline play limit ... so it needs to reactivate to 3rd party denuvo owned servers every once in a while
... the error message posted above seems to be some kind denuvo error with offline play

Piracy is such a convenient boogeyman for publishers and devs...

Now, are sales lost because of piracy? Undoubtedly. Without it, some people would've just bite the pillow and open their wallet. Are there companies that got completely screwed over and end up closing beause of piracy? I personally can't think of any, but undoubtedly, there are.

But let's pit those numbers against companies that got screwed over by forcing to release unfinished games early, but forcing them to change the game to look like generic shooters and then said game ending up not selling at all, or by buying said companies, milking their IPs dry and disposing of them?

Yet, the moment there's consumers to blame, it's worth investing insane money into fighting that evil boogeyman... all those other things? Let's just quetly pretend they don't happen...

prudislav

Winner winner chicken dinner. I bought XCOM2 because it had no DRM, if only the game wasn't a pile of crap at the launch.
just FYI Xcom 2 used Valve's antitamper/DRM solution CEGx64 , but that one is now discontinued and getting slowly patched out of games /thx Valve (at leaste some does this)

TI82

Banned
yeah XCOM 2 definitely had DRM at least at launch.

And lol, cracking denuvo for good would be a good thing. DRM is not good for consumers and longevity of games.

Teeth

If what you say is true, then there would no reason for companies to put this in their games.

It's to prevent the normalization of piracy, not necessarily boost sales.

Additionally, it's to prevent people from playing the game that didn't pay for it.

cRIPticon

Piracy is such a convenient boogeyman for publishers and devs...

Now, are sales lost because of piracy? Undoubtedly. Without it, some people would've just bite the pillow and open their wallet. Are there companies that got completely screwed over and end up closing beause of piracy? I personally can't think of any, but undoubtedly, there are.

But let's pit those numbers against companies that got screwed over by forcing to release unfinished games early, but forcing them to change the game to look like generic shooters and then said game ending up not selling at all, or by buying said companies, milking their IPs dry and disposing of them?

Yet, the moment there's consumers to blame, it's worth investing insane money into fighting that evil boogeyman... all those other things? Let's just quetly pretend they don't happen...

In your example, piracy, and the lost revenue, happens to developers through no fault of their own. In every other case you gave, a developers' actions caused them to lose revenue. These are not the same things. At all.

It's the difference between someone stealing $100 from your wallet vs you taking that $100 and spending it how you wished.

Blam

Yea, I have a hard time believing that anti-piracy software is the reason a game sells well, especially a multiplayer only game.

COD wasn't ruined on PC because of AlterIW.

I would say COD MW2's life span was extended because of AlterIW.

dr_rus

This is the future of games using Denuvo sadly.

This isn't Denuvo though. Denuvo doesn't have any server side component, it just encrypts and protects the executable from any kind of modification. This online check is something that the devs added on top of Denuvo protection for the EXE.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't Denuvo though. Denuvo doesn't have any server side component, it just encrypts and protects the executable from any kind of modification. This online check is something that the devs added on top of Denuvo protection for the EXE.

I thought this was proven to be otherwise due to the website/connection needing to go to a server owned by Denuvo ? There was definitely a thread on here with someone proving it but fuck if I can remember which thread it was.

Wait, so Denuvo's official position is that they'd just like to remain uncracked during an initial "sales" window, and don't actually attempt to be uncrackable long term?

More that it's practically impossible to make something eternally uncrackable. It's realistic, and he's right in that it only needs to last long enough to deter people from pirating in the short-medium term where 99% of the sales happen.

dr_rus

I thought this was proven to be otherwise due to the website/connection needing to go to a server owned by Denuvo ? There was definitely a thread on here with someone proving it but fuck if I can remember which thread it was.

There seems to be some conflicting reports on this originating from a post which was copy-pasted all over the net some time ago. According to official information Denuvo does not have an online component and all the protection is done locally, on the user's PC. The online checks we see are the DRM components which the devs have added in addition to Denuvo's anti-tampering - because you still need some kind of DRM to use with Denuvo as Denuvo just protects the EXE from modifications, it doesn't monitor how many copies of the said game is active at once for example.

This is at least my understanding at the moment.

Demoskinos

No dev would ever say something is uncrackable.

The best they can hope for is delaying the crack to get as much sales as possible.

For more reasons than one claiming something is unbreakable just makes that thing a bigger target for just that with everyone scrambling to be the first one to be able to gain the notoriety from cracking it.

There seems to be some conflicting reports on this originating from a post which was copy-pasted all over the net some time ago. According to official information Denuvo does not have an online component and all the protection is done locally, on the user's PC. The online checks we see are the DRM components which the devs have added in addition to Denuvo's anti-tampering - because you still need some kind of DRM to use with Denuvo as Denuvo just protects the EXE from modifications, it doesn't monitor how many copies of the said game is active at once for example.

http://neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1222764&page=5

Madjoki's post.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
just FYI Xcom 2 used Valve's antitamper/DRM solution CEGx64 , but that one is now discontinued and getting slowly patched out of games /thx Valve (at leaste some does this)

CEG is still very much a component of Valve's three-pronged anti-piracy approach (the other two being encrypted pre-load/retail disc data and Steam's convenience factor) but has always been optional. Take Thy Throne uses it, for instance, and it's recent regardless of the perspective (uploaded to Steam a little over three weeks ago and released four hours ago).

And XCOM 2 still uses CEG. I've had the game installed since launch but had never actually launched it aside from when I made the PC performance thread, so I can't confirm myself that it was actually DRM-free at one point, however if it were, then evidently a mistake was made.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

And Creative Assembly's own forum post, even:

Will Total War: WARHAMMER require you to be always online?
No.
The game will require initial online authentication via Steam during installation as per all Total War games since EMPIRE. At this point Denuvo will also automatically authenticate.
You can then decide to play in offline mode if you wish.
Other games sometimes need to be always online, but this isn’t a Denuvo or Total War: WARHAMMER requirement and doesn’t apply to this game.

Does Denuvo limit the max number of times I can install the game on different PCs?
No.
You can install your copy of Total War: WARHAMMER on as many PCs as you like under your Steam account.
The only limit is on the number on PCs you can install on in any 24 hour period. This is limited to 5 PCs.
There might of course be an unusual reason you would want to install the game on more than 5 PCs in a day, but we hope in that case you don’t mind waiting a couple of hours. This is obviously an important measure to help us prevent the spread of a pirated version of the game, so hope you appreciate that with this understanding you help us make more Total War games in the future.

Steam games, void of any and all DRM that isn't CEG, don't have an activation limit:

Edit: Ah, bugger, forgot to switch tabs.

Definitely incorrect, as previous posters link have shown. But you have to give credit to Denuvo for managing to confuse the world this much about how it works. Probably one big reasons as to why no gaming sites have bothered to cover this yet.

Top Bottom