• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
a05c37ddc4db73b383d018d40422b26a.jpg

Energy playtest cards from Mirrodin. Note: most of these are non-artifact cards.

kirblar

You could argue that you don't need to be fit to shoot lightning out of your finger tips and creature types like Dwarves lend themselves well to stockier builds. I think the real reason it might be a hard sell, and this actually ties into another conversation I was having, is that fat people aren't shown the same degree as respect or empathy as other groups IRL. Even though genetics plays a role for sure, you aren't really "born" fat. Whereas you are decidedly born Race X, Gender X, Cis/Trans, etc. and if you get paralyzed because you got hit by a car, that's almost certainly not your fault.
The room for diversity in human body types isn't really there to the same degree it normally is because so much of that diversity is taken up by other races. It's a common issue in fantasy games.

Crocodile

I would have been annoyed, and after hearing that guy at the Q&A, I would have been disappointed. Especially if they did that and not the bear people I actually wanted from an India-based set. It should be noted the only elephant-headed person in Indian mythology is the god Ganesha (and the demon his head was stolen from, it's complicated).

Although thinking about it, I'm slightly disappointed that this talking with advisors seemingly made them avoid monkeys. That's something cliche that I wanted.

I see. Sounds fair to me. As an aside, this isn't the first time you've mentioned bear people. I'm not familiar with that trope/myth. Can you elaborate?

Lol, courtesy of @Vronos on twitter, this is every Wall that can drive a vehicle:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&subtype=+[Wall]&power=+%3E=[1

The room for diversity in human body types isn't really there to the same degree it normally is because so much of that diversity is taken up by other races. It's a common issue in fantasy games.

Yeah, they basically need to find ways to do variant athletic types (like, look at Olympic athletes who do weightlifting or shot put) rather than "fat" per se.

Crocodile

I don't disagree but if your goal is specifically representation, then that unfortunately doesn't help or at least not much.

I see. Sounds fair to me. As an aside, this isn't the first time you've mentioned bear people. I'm not familiar with that trope/myth. Can you elaborate?

Indian mythology has intelligent bear people. Or rather, described as bears, depicted as humans with weird faces in art and film. They play a big role in the Ramayana. Notably, while many are warriors, they are also wise and spiritual.

I was interested in them appearing in Magic because it's something that's important to Indian mythology but not super well known, and would present bear people in Magic in a different way than expected.

Crocodile

Oh look, more Landfall cards that aren't labeled with Landfall :/

Indian mythology has intelligent bear people. Or rather, described as bears, depicted as humans with weird faces in art and film. They play a big role in the Ramayana. Notably, while many are warriors, they are also wise and spiritual.

I was interested in them appearing in Magic because it's something that's important to Indian mythology but not super well known, and would present bear people in Magic in a different way than expected.

Interesting. Do you have a wiki link I can check out?

I really appreciate that they've gotten flexible enough with card frames and templating that vehicles can just have a P/T box rather than having to shove it into the text.

They should really make Landfall an evergreen mechanic.

But they can already use it like this without having to put the word in, so...?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Tireless Tracker and that Elf are simultaneously ridiculous

Bandini

Keeping my fingers crossed for a RU Legendary Creature that's a good fit for being the general in an artifact-based Commander deck.

Vehicles based on creature power was actually developed for "Ham" block. I feel like they're giving away too many hints about what it is with this information.

Crocodile

Sounds like they went ham on "Ham"

*rimshot*
As interesting as this panel is, they really need to spoil more new cards

An-Det

Is Skysovereign, Consul Flagship the first card that directly deals damage to planeswalkers without having target the player/redirect?

So, the vehicle border really was based on the old brown artifact frame.

Is Skysovereign, Consul Flagship the first card that directly deals damage to planeswalkers without having target the player/redirect?

No, there have been red cards that do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom