• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
f5a67xvka6jx.jpg

Reddit translation said:
When this ETBs, gain 2 life.
When this dies, draw a card.

ultron87

Oh damn. I'm going to a wedding on Prerelease weekend.

Guess I'll have to find a Sunday evening one for when I'm back in town.

Maledict

Loving the new cards, but a weird impression on them. Stylistically, this set reminds me of Mercadian Masques. Lots of non-combat scenes, ornately dressed characters, smiling faces and a low level humour vibe running through it. Think the atr is great, but it does remind me of that set for some reason.

I already love everything about this set. One of the mechanics is modular and the vehicles have a ton of decision points.

If this stuff hits Standard we're gonna have a great format with potential for real skill testing.

El Topo

Carvalho is in a great spot. Shame about that.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";215754643]I already love everything about this set. One of the mechanics is modular and the vehicles have a ton of decision points.

If this stuff hits Standard we're gonna have a great format with potential for real skill testing.[/QUOTE]

That is assuming the mechanics work well enough and have enough synergy to make it into a competitive standard deck. I love what they've shown so far though.

That effect looking at the converted mana cost of the spell you cast is pretty interesting. It's nice that she draws you a card no matter what. And time to update her colors in the OP character section.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";215754643]
If this stuff hits Standard we're gonna have a great format with potential for real skill testing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there are a lot of mechanics here with simple decisions with big implications, so a lot of lines of play open up. Very good starting point for interesting game states in Standard.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Super interesting that Kaladesh isn't as much fantasy India as I was expecting. Khans of Tarkir felt very consistently SE Asian in art direction throughout, whereas Kaladesh from what we've seen looks more like a mix of Indian visual design and their extreme-gilt aesthetic, but with...well, a lot more racial diversity then I expected.

Put another way, the people of Kaladesh look more like a traditional fantasy melting pot with a higher than average percentage of people who appear typically Indian than an actual Indian culture. Whereas I think I can count the number of white people on Tarkir on like one hand

Am I saying this in some insensitive way? Sorry if I am

So Ham, next year's fall set, had Vehicles and Monarch stolen from it, so... wtf. New Phyrexia?

I thought it wasn't vehicles, but instead a mechanic that made you tap to animate something. Like "Tap 3 dudes: Statue of Athena becomes a 4/4 Indestructible soldier creature until end of Turn"

Santiako

cF6OAoi.png

Aetherstorm Roc 2WW
Creature - Bird - Rare
Flying
Whenever ~ or another creature ETBs under your control, you get E
Whenever ~ attacks you may pay EE. If you do, put at +1/+1 counter on it and tap up to one target creature defending player controls
3/3

Yeef

I'm worried that we won't see many/any equipments in Kaladesh. Mechanically, vehicles steal a lot of their space. The RW archetype seems to clearly be vehicles from what we've seen to far. That's where I'd have imagined we'd see the heaviest equipment focus.

Super interesting that Kaladesh isn't as much fantasy India as I was expecting. Khans of Tarkir felt very consistently SE Asian in art direction throughout, whereas Kaladesh from what we've seen looks more like a mix of Indian visual design and their extreme-gilt aesthetic, but with...well, a lot more racial diversity then I expected.

Yeah, there are a few people with Desi backgrounds I follow on tumblr/twitter who went into this weekend being concerned the set was going to have a lot of problematic/stereotypical shit and came out wondering why there wasn't more actual India-specific stuff.

I thought it wasn't vehicles, but instead a mechanic that made you tap to animate something. Like "Tap 3 dudes: Statue of Athena becomes a 4/4 Indestructible soldier creature until end of Turn"

Yeah, to be clear, a mechanic where some resource is fought over and a mechanic that animated creatures were in Ham and got cut for Conspiracy and Kaladesh respectively; we know they were close enough to the mechanics we got that they got cut, but not exactly what they were trying to accomplish. I think the latter fits NPH even if it's not vehicle-themed though, as long as it's artifacts.

Oh right, vehicles does mean we probably won't get much equipment. Ashodin, are you OK?

cF6OAoi.png

Aetherstorm Roc 2WW
Creature - Bird - Rare
Flying
Whenever ~ or another creature ETBs under your control, you get E
Whenever ~ attacks you may pay EE. If you do, put at +1/+1 counter on it and tap up to one target creature defending player controls
3/3

Pretty neat. Cast this turn 4, get another creature out the next turn, attack with it, and you have a 4/4 flyer that tapped a creature. Likely will only be significant in Limited, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom