• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

The atmosphere and the mechanics seems amazing, but they haven't revealed that many exciting cards. Mythic Airship is the coolest one IMO (and it's super cool). Looking forward SOOOOO much to spoiler week.

Firemind

fuck roe

forced u/r kiln fiend every time and get jack

switched to shadows of innistrad

OBZGdkc.png

kirblar

Yeah, there are a few people with Desi backgrounds I follow on tumblr/twitter who went into this weekend being concerned the set was going to have a lot of problematic/stereotypical shit and came out wondering why there wasn't more actual India-specific stuff.
Because they used the rest of it on Khans.

Is it me or does this set looks pure fun? When is the last time that could be said about a set?

The last time anything was, like, cheery and optimistic tone-wise would be Lorwyn; the last time we got a set that just felt chunky and neat with smooth mechanics that had lots of choices attached would probably be (OG) Innistrad.

BFZ... people were rather excited after the initial reveal but Gideon was a heck of a card to start with.

The sinking feeling started super quick with that set tho.

The sinking feeling started super quick with that set tho.
Yeah and they also just showed like 2 nonland cards total at PAX.
Just a reminder for people not to get too into it before trying it out.

Innistrad looked amazing and it's my least favourite draft format in a while. EDM didn't do much to it.
Attendance was suser high at the start of Shadows with many newcomers here and that faded off withinow a couple weeks and EDM hardly picked up.

Daedardus

BFZ... people were rather excited after the initial reveal but Gideon was a heck of a card to start with.

Shadows was also very much hyped because of the flavour.

BFZ never did anything for me, it's like that hot ex of yours that aged badly and after you knew what stuff she's been into you start to question yourself why you ever loved her.

The last time anything was, like, cheery and optimistic tone-wise would be Lorwyn; the last time we got a set that just felt chunky and neat with smooth mechanics that had lots of choices attached would probably be (OG) Innistrad.

Innistrad is one of the best sets in modern magic design so that isn't a bad thing.

FWIW and from what I've seen I really don't like Energy. Don't have a feel on it yet but it just looks off. Like that elf with 6 energy symbols as activating cost. It just looks bad.
I would have preferred a mana circle with the lightning over the sigil.

Vehicles look neat but I would have preferred a functionality that made them equipments in type at least. Best case scenario there'll be enough vehicles to make a fun EDH deck.

Speaking off EDH that UG card rubs me the wrong way. Wizards could do well powering that colour combo down or at least pushing some of the weaker ones like Boros and Rakdos.
Like make the dwarf be able to pull Dwarves or Artifacts when she taps.

Lastly I'm gonna pull the trigger on Narset Deploy Superfriends. Barring a few of the lands, filter and kamigawa cycle.

Aetherborn are nonbinary, and are generally addressed with the singular "they"
theceaselesshunger:
I thought Aetherborn were going to be ashen spirits but this is way cooler… I love them… New best race…

They are made out of aether and live to party.

Also they are nonbinary! For the most part aetherborn refer to themselves as the singular ‘they’.

MaRo forgets the old templating, but this does bring to light a templating change: it's no longer "tap an untapped creature you control", but just "tap a creature you control" as a cost.
arbiterofknollridge asked: Aaaand Crew doesn't say "untapped creature" mean i can choose to tap any creature.

No, in order to tap something for a cost, it has to be untapped.
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

skyskiff.jpg

They tried some returning mechanics, none fit.
Confirmed no splitting for fabricate
howdidigethereimnotgoodwithmagic asked: Was it a conscious decision to not have a returning mechanics? Like "The world of inventors doesn't NEED returning mechanics"... or did it just happen that way.

We tried out some returning mechanics but most weren’t a good fit.

==

scribonia asked: If a card has Fabricate 2, can I split the tokens/counters? Or can you only make 2 of the same kind? This was unclear.

You have to choose one or the either. No splitting.

Innistrad is one of the best sets in modern magic design so that isn't a bad thing.

Agreed.

FWIW and from what I've seen I really don't like Energy. Don't have a feel on it yet but it just looks off. Like that elf with 6 energy symbols as activating cost. It just looks bad.
I would have preferred a mana circle with the lightning over the sigil.

It's not mana tho. Like making it clearly look different than mana symbols seems correct to me.

It's not mana tho. Like making it clearly look different than mana symbols seems correct to me.
While true they could have made the costs 6 with spend only mana produced by energy for it as templating.
I really dislike the look of it on cards maybe a softer tone would have made the difference the black is pretty stark in contrast with the rest of the cards.

Aetherborn are basically the Consortium from WoW, which is fine with me since BC-era content gives me the warm and fuzzies. I'm really interested to see how they're represented in this block.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Man I think I've gone back and forth on energy like three times in the course of the day. I'm going to hold off on talking about it until we really see more of the set

While true they could have made the costs 6 with spend only mana produced by energy for it as templating.

I can't imagine a world where that's an improvement. I think having a symbol that looks different from anything else is good because it's easy to parse quickly. You can tell a card provides energy or has an energy cost with a pretty quick glance, which is gonna help a lot in sorting for limited or reviewing the set.

Drive to Work Live confirmed that in Conspiracy 2, Leovold was created specifically for Tiny Leaders.

Nothing shows how long the design -> print process on MTG is like this story.

Man I think I've gone back and forth on energy like three times in the course of the day. I'm going to hold off on talking about it until we really see more of the set

What's the pro/con sides in your mind?

The Technomancer

What's the pro/con sides in your mind?

Basically waffling back and forth on either side of if its "enough" or not. The pro side of me says "man its going to be great because you're building up resources for decisions you don't know if you have to make or yet" and the con side of me says "yeah but the revealed cards so far feel like things I would normally pay mana for with some rebalancing".

I think what's missing so far is a real sense of when the decision to make energy matters. Thus far its a rider, a nice bonus you get when things happen, and then trade in for more good stuff later. I want to know if I'm going to be asking "do I need mana/an attack/this spell for this turn or do I want to invest in energy for a later turn?"

My only potential concern with how energy is represented is that when you start getting higher costs it's easier to start getting lost in correctly counting the number. Other than that the way it's written is fine. And mechanically it seems very interesting.

I'm getting a nervous sort of Phantom Menace feeling from this set so far. Hopefully they're keeping a lot of stylish stuff that isn't related to all this Whacky Racers portion, like Gonti, on deck.

I'm getting a nervous sort of Phantom Menace feeling from this set so far. Hopefully they're keeping a lot of stylish stuff that isn't related to all this Whacky Racers portion, like Gonti, on deck.

If you're worried about the racing, just think of the N64 Pod Racing game instead of Phantom Menace.

Besides, we already know there are other vehicle types.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It's way worse in the format Dack is designed for.

If Dack was in standard it would be format warping because his plus is ridiculous.

Nothing is more satisfying in vintage cube than drafting Dack and Daretti together and blazing thorugh your entire deck while stealing their stuff.

jph139

The problem with energy at least one the elf was counting all the symbols.

Yeah, I had the same reaction. Counting 6+ symbols is fine on the occasional splashy Green rare but hopefully Energy costs stay relatively low, because it'll be obnoxious if there's a ton of big number cards.

The problem with energy at least one the elf was counting all the symbols.

That's the only card with that many energy symbols, apparently, and having so many symbols is a good way to give the instant impact of, "OK, if I'm going to draft this, I'll need to build up a lot of energy to use that ability."

The Technomancer

I am not feeling vehicles, btw.

I am getting a bit of a Vulshock Morningstar/Hoversail vibe of "and here's the fast fragile one and here's the one that flies" etc out of them. Like, their first set concepts for something that could be really cool two years from now

I am not feeling vehicles, btw.

I definitely still need to see some instants/sorceries or effect creatures that interact with them in more interesting ways than what's on the table right now.

Hopefully they're a little more clever than the Emerge enablers we saw.

Not a huge fan of vehicles. I kind of wish vehicles were equipment that could attach to multiple creatures, but I realize making rules for that would have been much trickier than what they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom