• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odds we get a

Pilot Elf
G
Whenever Pilot Elf is tapped, add G to your mana pool
1/1

?

I actually think we'll be more likely to get something like that in red. Maybe something like:

Raceway Torcher - 2R
Creature - Human Pilot
Whenever Raceway Torcher or a Vehicle that it crews attacks, add R to your mana pool at the beginning of your next main phase this turn.
2/3

Using Conduit of Storms as a model.

duxstar

I'm hoping we see an Energy Converter card that allows you to trade some resource for energy or vice versa. Something along like:

(But, you know, actually designed to be fair).

Fiery Impulse.

The cards that make X/3's (and X/4's to some degree) less playable right now are Fiery Impulse, Fiery, Temper, Grasp of Darkness and Languish. Impulse and Languish are leaving; Grasp of Darkness is double colored and Temper is really only solid if you have enough

discard effects. Depending on how things shake out, it's possible neither of those will be as widely played after rotation. Galvanic Bombardment might potentially replace Impulse, but it's going to be worse a lot of the time.

Your missing the 2 biggest offenders , Collective Defiance and Incendiary flow. Flow even exiles making things even worse. Then you still have bombardement, and grasp like you said.

I always try to evaluate cards in a sense of constructed first , then limited. Almost 70% of the time you take the mono colored rare pick 1 pack 1 and draft from there where as constructed cards can look unassuming at first, Reflector mage, Selfless spirit , Tireless tracker and Mauseleum wanderer are some of the more recent ones that most people wrote off as bulk rares and turned out to be players (Secure the wastes and Rally the ancestors being others from different sets).

And yes Tracker was like a dollar at prerelease , i tried to buy them up at that price lol.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have a feeling this set is going to be more divisive than they anticipated.
I don't think Maro would hype it that much if it didn't play really well in limited.

Maybe I'm being optimistic but I assume FFL was really happy with it for him to be that hype about it.

I feel like the thread title should involve driving, since I feel like that's the biggest opportunity for absurd humor.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Servo driving, Emrakul riding shotgun
Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Servo driving, camel and Gideon in the back
Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Camels can't drive, better get a whale
Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Calling in a car theft by a Wall of Flames
Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - That wall with a sword stole my car!
Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Where cars drive cars driving boats

Etc.

Or even Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Now THIS is podracing!

noquarter

Not really feeling vehicles, seems like an alright idea, I just was hoping for something a little different, like maybe "Crew 1 (Tap any number of creatures blahblah. ~ Gets an additional +1/+1 for each creature tapped after the first)". This would make it seem like Mad Max, this guys hopping on wherever and having spears or something to do damage.

Or maybe "Crew 1. ( Tap any number of creatures blahblah. If ~ would die due to combat damage this combat, untap a creature for each creature tapped after the first)". This would be like the driver is hurt but everyone else just jumps out, ready for whatever.

Just something to make it seem like this guys are getting in this rig and attacking. The way they are now just seems like an artifact that has a cost to become a creature and feels like something I've already seen before, even if I haven't. And don't really see why they have a different border either, looks like it will cause confusion for Delirium, since they are just artifacts, right?

Hackworth

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - The best Magic set IN THE WORLD

As far as the story goes, Ashiok being aetherborn makes sense to me.

Also, I feel like this can't be real, but people are passing these pictures around on Tumblr, so heads up. It's an 8/8 with upside for five, and for reference Terra Stomper is basically a vanilla 8/8 for six.
tumblr_ocx0m4gHhv1seof36o1_1280.png
tumblr_ocx0m4gHhv1seof36o2_1280.png
I can't get the image parts to line up but whatever.

|OT| - ZOOM ZOOM
|OT| - Initial E
|OT| - Are we there yet
|OT| - Take a right after Mirrodin
|OT| - Buckle up, buckaroo
|OT| -

Looking for a Yu Gi Oh 5Ds joke since they drive while dueling in that one but can't be arsed remembering anything else about it.

Supast4r

Wait...if Kaladesh is based on India, then Chandra's Indian? I guess that would explain her love for the Indian good in the last story.

OnPoint

|OT10| Kaladesh: E = Maro2
|OT10| Kaladesh: All my friends ridin' low rider
|OT10| Kaladesh: Chandra Naalar and the seven dwarves
|OT10| Kaladesh: How bazaar
|OT10| Kaladesh: Rocket league

Ashodin

OT| you are not red e
| Aethered
| This world dwarfs all others
| It's working, it's working!
| The Phantom Menace
| GTA: Ghirapur
| You made this? ... I made this.
| Magic gets its first energy drink
| Sponsored by NOS

If only we could do highlights in OT titles

Firemind

I'd say the first thing to remember is that the average cards you see from the set aren't going to be representative of the power level of the stuff that should be considered for constructed decks. :p
Yeah but it's a dragon so it automatically sucks. Like it's basically a retooled Rakdos Pit Dragon.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - The best Magic set IN THE WORLD

As far as the story goes, Ashiok being aetherborn makes sense to me.

Also, I feel like this can't be real, but people are passing these pictures around on Tumblr, so heads up. It's an 8/8 with upside for five, and for reference Terra Stomper is basically a vanilla 8/8 for six.
I can't get the image parts to line up but whatever.

I'll definitely consider that when I get round to making a Animar commander deck.

Wasn't here when stuff got revealed (doing a Conspiracy 2 draft; amazing format), so some comments

- Saheeli seems bad.
- I didn't like behicles at first but the more I see the more interesting they get. Does anyone know if they will stick around after Kaladesh like Equipments do now?
- The vehicle frame is ugly af and looks more like a chest (or maybe some medival war mashine like these odd tanks there were in Assassin's Creed 2) rather than what the actual card art suggests.
- Energy is very very interesting. I feel like the activation costs for some of the abilities may be a bit high considering the energy is gone then but I guess that depends on how much energy you can produce per turn. Symbol is okay but I wished they did some shortcut for many of them so we wouldn't have to count 6+ individual identical symbols.
- I don't like that mythic 8/8 trampler at all. Fuck power creep.
- Some of you said that Boros commander still needed to attack in order to do its thing. That's not true. She can just crew a vehicle (she tutored). If vehicles stick around longer this could become a hell of an EDH deck.
- Apparently "crew" is something creatures do. I point this out because what often gets mentiones as the biggest callenge with contraptions is that creatures assemble them, not players.

Hackworth

- I didn't like behicles at first but the more I see the more interesting they get. Does anyone know if they will stick around after Kaladesh like Equipments do now?
I think Equipment is actually a good comparison: they were supposed to be a one-time design but they were super popular.
If Vehicles are as successful I can see them showing up again. Probably not as often as Equipment tho, but like hybrid.

Yeef

|OT9| The Fast and the Fabulous
|OT9| Kick it Into High Gear
|OT9| Contrabulous Fabtraptions

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";215784673]I guess some people are thinking Ashiok might be an Aetherborn. Made of smoke and doesn't use pronouns, makes sense to me.[/QUOTE]Aetherborn are only supposed to live for a couple of months to a year. I suppose it's possible that a planeswalker spark can change that, but from what we know of Aetherborn right now, it doesn't seem likely.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";215784802]Colored artifacts!

Come on Baleful Strix![/QUOTE]I think Strixes are specifically an Esper thing. They don't really fit in with the more positive creative that they're going for with Kaladesh. Also, I don't know if they even want it in Modern.

duxstar

I tend to like magic cards like the Gearhulk , its an incredibly simple design that anyone can understand, but offers a ton of choices in game and can be incredibly skill testing.

This is a nice 5 drop for Eldritch Evolution too. The biggest problem with EE was the only good 5 drop to go grab was Reality Smasher. Could see this being better than people think or just a bulk mythic depending on how good some of the fabricate cards are.

Fou-Lu

This block is a so far, so good from me. Battle for Zendikar was awful, Shadows over Innistrad was cool, but the quick return of Eldrazi was not what I wanted at all, but Kaladesh is feeling fresh and potentially mechanically fun as hell.

Supast4r

|OT9| The Fast and the Fabulous
|OT9| Kick it Into High Gear
|OT9| Contrabulous Fabtraptions

Aetherborn are only supposed to live for a couple of months to a year. I suppose it's possible that a planeswalker spark can change that, but from what we know of Aetherborn right now, it doesn't seem likely.

I think Strixes are specifically an Esper thing. They don't really fit in with the more positive creative that they're going for with Kaladesh. Also, I don't know if they even want it in Modern.
I don't know how many times this has to be said but they don't design cards for modern or legacy in standard.

Yeef

I don't know how many times this has to be said but they don't design cards for modern or legacy in standard.
They don't design (or test) for older formats in standard, but they absolutely keep those formats in mind when crafting standard sets. Moreso when reprints (like Baleful Strix) are concerned.

Supast4r

They don't design (or test) for older formats in standard, but they absolutely keep those formats in mind when crafting standard sets. Moreso when reprints (like Baleful Strix) are concerned.
No they don't. This has been stated tons of times by Maro and co. The only thing they keep in mind is reprints of card that financially need to be reprinted for modern, not new cards that could break standard.

Yeef

No they don't. This has been stated tons of times by Maro and co. The only thing they keep in mind is reprints of card that financially need to be reprinted for modern, not new cards that could break standard.
Sam Stoddard said:
We're not going to print anything that we believe we would have to pre-ban in Modern, but the possibility of having to ban something shortly after printing does exist—even if it is small. That being said, there are three kinds of cards that we are very careful about printing in Standard both because we don't particularly like what they do in Standard, and because we know that Modern just doesn't need any that are stronger than its current options.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/development-risks-modern-2015-05-22

I mean, I don't know if it'll see any constructed play since it's pretty vanilla, but it is a huge power creep.

I mean, green has gotten an 8/8 with upside at 6 mana since Terra Stomper in Zendikar so I don't actually think this is a huge creep. It is certainly very efficient though.

Symbol is okay but I wished they did some shortcut for many of them so we wouldn't have to count 6+ individual identical symbols.

From what they said at the panel there's only a very few (maybe even just the two we've seen) cards with energy costs of 6+. Given that I think the parsing difficulty on a couple rare/mythic cards is worth the mechanic reading better on all the other ones.

- Apparently "crew" is something creatures do. I point this out because what often gets mentiones as the biggest callenge with contraptions is that creatures assemble them, not players.

That's half of the problem, the other half is that the verb is undirected and doesn't target. Like, if Steamflogger Boss said "instead it assembles two target contraptions" it would be very straightforward since it'd be clear how you pick the contraptions, but as is the rules for assemble have to make it explicit how that works if you have 3 contraptions available (in your hand or graveyard or command zone or whatever.)

Yeah, I would be shocked if there's never been a reprint blocked from a Standard set because they didn't want to put it in Modern.

|OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin Down the Street in my 6/4

Ding ding ding we have our winner folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom