• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like we have an early leader for the thread title. Now if only we had a 6/4 vehicle.

Verdurous Gearhulk still hasn't been disproven, and it's been posted on Mythic Spoiler and MTG Salvation, so I'll just go ahead and assume it's real.

I guess Wizards is a bit salty that Terra Stomper turned out not to be Standard playable. (I bet you didn't even know that it's in Standard right now)
Image.ashx

It says something about even the current powered-down state of removal that people still don't think this will see Standard play. And that everyone thinks it will usually be better to spread the +1/+1 counters around, rather than piling them on the Gearhulk.

Anyway, this also confirms that we'll be seeing colored artifacts. Or at least colored artifact creatures. I imagine we won't get colored noncreature artifacts. Flavorwise, they mentioned in one of the panels that this creature is actually a tree with a mech suit built around it, to explain why it's colored.

And I suppose I'll post YouTube links to all of yesterday's panels.
Trailer
Opening Program
World Building Panel
Mechanics Panel

==

MaRo brings up Innistrad regarding the number of mechanics
Why vehicles have a special border
theothin asked: Is Kaladesh's low number of mechanics part of its solution to the longstanding design problem?

Only having three mechanics plays a role in helping simplify things. Note that “low” is inaccurate. Original Innistrad, which many think is the pinnacle of design, had only three mechanics.

==

thricexandvii asked: I hate to be negative, in light of how much awesome is happening (and there is a lot), but why were Vehicles given a new border when other Subtypes don't have unique ones? (I dislike both the inconsistency and the design of them.)

We use card frames when we need to convey important distinctions for gameplay reasons. Vehicles are sometimes creatures and sometimes not so we needed to make sure they were visually distinct so that players could easily track them on the battlefield. Most subtypes don’t need to have a visual distinction to track.

EDIT: Die Young is super neat, and pretty sad. And confirmation that you can pay energy as an additional cost for spells. Though note that here you pay on resolution, not cast.

#FreeKesha

This is exactly the kind of design I was hoping for with energy. Brings its own supplies, provides an unlimited scaling energy sink, on a non-permanent spell so it doesn't have to rely on waiting turns to get going.

It's funny how Maro was so insistent this was an artifact block mechanic when... literally nothing about it requires that.

kirblar

When I say this is going to be divisive, I mean that this doesn't feel like it's hitting all the psychographics. It feels like it's hitting Johnnies and limited play. The mechanics are all very insular.

I'm apparently not the only one completely cold to this - two others that I know of (both tournament players) are as well.

EDIT: The artifact dog is officially named "Filigree Familiar" which seems to cement the Esper connection.

It looks like we have an early leader for the thread title. Now if only we had a 6/4 vehicle.

We have a 5/3 and a pilot vehicle lord who gives vehicles +1/+1!

Verdurous Gearhulk still hasn't been disproven, and it's been posted on Mythic Spoiler and MTG Salvation, so I'll just go ahead and assume it's real.

Previewed in the PAX hallways this morning.

Even if you exclude fight as an instant evergreen it has four (morbid, flashback, transform, curses.) ISD is definitely what the mechanic density in KLD reminds me of though.

When I say this is going to be divisive, I mean that this doesn't feel like it's hitting all the psychographics. It feels like it's hitting Johnnies and limited play. The mechanics are all very insular.

Energy is a super spikey mechanic tho.

Would it be inaccurate to call the Vehicle cards a sort of "reverse Equipment" mechanic? In order for these things to attack, you need to tap creatures. It reminds me of how you'd need to first equip a piece of Equipment in order to reap it's benefits. So, by tapping a creature you are sort of "equipping" that Vehicle, albeit for one turn.

I like the flavor of it. I could see myself messing with a Vehicle based deck.

Toxi

Banned

I'm apparently not the only one completely cold to this - two others that I know of (both tournament players) are as well.
Energy and Fabricate are Spike mechanics: They are based on being able to make the right decision to get full value out of them.

Energy and Fabricate are Spike mechanics: They are based on being able to make the right decision to get full value out of them.

More specifically, energy is pretty johnny/spike, while fabricate is spike with possible timmy or johnny applications depending on the cards we get. Vehicles seem pretty straight-up timmy to me tho.

Ashodin

ExoSuit 4
Artifact - Equipment Vehicle
Trample
When ~ etbs, attach it to target creature you control.
When equipped creature attacks, instead pilot this vehicle.
Equip 3
6/6

My mockup of a equip vehicle

Holy shit puzzle knot gives three energy and life for 2? Fuck

Energy seems like it's gonna be broken as fuck

Timeaisis

Might jump back in for this set. Seems interesting, and i love artifact blocks.

Aetherworks Marvel looks like part of a standard engine if I ever saw one.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
You spend it on Mechanized Company, which looks at the top 6 cards of your library and put up to 2 vehicles from among them into play.

bigkrev

BBD with a hand full of colorless cards, and 6 lands in play/hand that only make colored mana

EDIT: Asylum Visitor wins the award for "card I never expected to see at the World Championship in Modern"

Yeah, tons of different Abzan. LSV and Saporito are on Grim Flayer, Cavallio on traditional Abzan, Shota on Abzan Melira

bigkrev

I stopped playing Pokemon in 2001, but holy fuck, they made a TRIPLE COLORLESS ENERGY?!?!

Also, didn't they Ban a Feldon's Cane style card a year or 2 ago? Pokemon just seems crazy.

I think Strixes are specifically an Esper thing. They don't really fit in with the more positive creative that they're going for with Kaladesh.

It's not that hard to make a shiny-looking owl.

I don't know how many times this has to be said but they don't design cards for modern or legacy in standard.
Deathrite Shaman

Uuuugh, not like this LSV.

To be fair he did play 4 Path to Exile the previous game.

duxstar

I guess Wizards is a bit salty that Terra Stomper turned out not to be Standard playable. (I bet you didn't even know that it's in Standard right now)
Image.ashx

It says something about even the current powered-down state of removal that people still don't think this will see Standard play. And that everyone thinks it will usually be better to spread the +1/+1 counters around, rather than piling them on the Gearhulk.

Anyway, this also confirms that we'll be seeing colored artifacts. Or at least colored artifact creatures. I imagine we won't get colored noncreature artifacts. Flavorwise, they mentioned in one of the panels that this creature is actually a tree with a mech suit built around it, to explain why it's colored.

And I suppose I'll post YouTube links to all of yesterday's panels.
Trailer
Opening Program
World Building Panel
Mechanics Panel

==

MaRo brings up Innistrad regarding the number of mechanics
Why vehicles have a special border

EDIT: Die Young is super neat, and pretty sad. And confirmation that you can pay energy as an additional cost for spells. Though note that here you pay on resolution, not cast.

I don't think its a bad card, I just think it's entirely dependent on how good wizards makes cards that create tokens, and what the mass removal looks like out of the set. It's not hard to imagine a world where G/W Tokens comes back and goes Oath of Nissa, into Sylvan Advocate, into Nissa Voice of Zendikar, Into Gideon, into this guy, but if there are decks running around like there are currently which are all go big or go home like Emrakul and Flashing back Kozilek's returns then that's not really a good option.

The thing is that card is entirely dependent on what the other cards around it are, if you have tons of token making effects then it becomes a good card. Cards like this get undervalued alot though because we don't know what the next format is going to look like. Hell there are certain cards now that could become amazing that are just shitty in this format; things like Gisela, Decimator of Provinces. Arlinn Kord, and Gitrog Monster could all be format warping all stars soon. Hell it might be a good idea to buy cheap on some of these cards just in case. The problem has been the value lost of playing any card over 4 or 5 mana if it just get's hit by reflector mage. Cast your 5 mana 6/6 Deathtoucher, Reflector mage on upkeep, cast your Gisela, reflector mage at end step, did you just emerge something sacrificing a creature, Reflector mage in response. Sure Reflector mage will still be around, but hitting it at instant speed (hopefully) won't be as much of a problem anymore.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This might actually be more playable than Read the Bones in limited. Losing the scry hurts, but the big issue with RTB in my eyes has always been that you're spending three mana, likely at a time when you need that mana. Depending on the support the 2 energy here could be pumped back into something useful

Ashodin

Grain of salt rumor leak alert

Red Energy Chamber 0CMC Artifact T, E: Add R to your mana pool
There is one for each color
and
Energy Lotus 0CMC Artifact T, EE, Sacrifice Energy Lotus: Add 3 Mana of any color to your mana pool"
Source: old post in 4ch

Might be full of shit but I'd expect at least a lotus in this set

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I saw on FB a pure speculative mock up but it was an Aether Mox, 0 CMC artifact, Tap pay E, add one mana of any color.

The sure way to a new broken card is Wizards trying their hand at a new mox or a new one mana draw spell that looks at three cards.

Crc4uniVUAEc5T7.png

Territorial Devourer {3R}
Creature: Gremlin (RARE)
Trample
Whenever you gain one or more {E}, Territorial Devourer gets +2/+2 until the end of the turn.
Some inventors capture gremlins with the intention of setting them loose on a rival. Often, that plan blows up in their face.
2/2

I'm a little surprised seeing so much Liliana, the Last Hope in these Abzan decks. I'm interested in seeing their deck lists to know what their numbers are on each Lili.

edit: was that Caleb Durward doing the sound for Worlds? He looked appropriately disheveled.

I'm a little surprised seeing so much Liliana, the Last Hope in these Abzan decks. I'm interested in seeing their deck lists to know what their numbers are on each Lili.

If you're expecting a lot of Abzan mirrors it's a great card. Kills tokens, stops early Grim Flayers from triggering and recurring stuff like Scavenging Ooze and Tarmogoyf is great.

Vintage all-star Gideon, Ally of Zendikar making it to Modern is also fun. Manfield got a 3-for-1 with Tireless Tracker and Collective Brutality has been looking good all day. Cool card choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom