• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine a deck that plays Displacer and the angel would want Avacyn, which floods the 5 drop a bit. Could be a play both situation, but a token deck that blinks I'd have a hard time not playing a set of Avacyn.

Avacyn is the biggest issue, yes. Now, maybe you could displace it to make an awkward replacement to Secure the Wastes, but I'm not sold on that. It's nice that it also buffs your new tokens but it's pretty bad that it dies to a stiff breeze at 5cmc without having a splashy effect when it's cast/hits the board. It might fit well as a sideboard card against decks lacking spot or damage/minus toughness based board removal, but even in the 4/3 mode it dies too easily for mainly doing a bad impression of a Gideon emblem.

suenos-desenfrenados_jdgc.png

x cards from graveyard to hand. Exile it.

Green doesn't need to forget some things to recall other things.

They should have printed that first one in a colorshifted border, because that's just Recall.
I really like that second card. It's a mana rock that is not a dead draw late in the game!

It's not Recall. Recall you needed to discard a card for every card you were going to get back.

They don't want you to loop these things forever. It's the same reason Restock exiles itself, and it's why Seasons Past should have exiled itself.

I was actually making a terrible joke comparing this to the old blue card Recall. See above.

I think she was referring to the fact that this card is just recall without the discard clause.

92.jpg

As usual, I'm slow today.

bigkrev

Oh wow, you don't need to discard to use that green card? That seems... really strong.

Another spoiler, feels like something that should have been in Commander or Conspiracy as it's clearly a legacy/vintage plant. It's a reverse Tendrils!
Cr1qN0TWcAEW5w6.png

bigkrev

Lost Legacy is probably really good, but the clause that prevents you from really getting them if they are holding the card is blegh

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Lost Legacy is probably really good, but the clause that prevents you from really getting them if they are holding the card is blegh

Eh my weird brain was thinking of casting it on myself and drawing four cards. Name misthollow Griffin or something.

G.ZZZ

Both are pretty good. The WB is something made for older formats, but i don't see it being played that much, as it is extremely playable around (soft lock on a creature = still good but the easiest kind of hate to play around). Now that 1BB Extraction variant seems sick. Kill some decks dead and costing 1 less is extremely valuable since you'll want to play this against combo lists and 3 vs 4 is turn 2 vs 3 (with DRS) or t1 vs T2 (with dark ritual). It could see some play, as a sideboard card vs combo lists like Omnitell.

El Topo

Eh my weird brain was thinking of casting it on myself and drawing four cards. Name misthollow Griffin or something.

Exactly. Draw four cards for 1BB seems pretty damn good. Of course it requires you to have disposable cards in your deck. Worst case you just name Lost Legacy. Either way, it's an interesting card with a lot of potential.

Edit:
Oh, yeah, the 'from hand' clause. Makes sense. Would have been broken otherwise.

bigkrev

Guys, they only draw a card if it was already in their hand. If you name Tireless tracker, and they reveal a hand with 2 Tireless Trackers in it and then you search their library and exile 2 more, they only draw 2 cards. If you name Gideon and they reveal no copies in their hand, they aren't drawing any cards.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Exactly. Draw four cards for 1BB seems pretty damn good. Of course it requires you to have disposable cards in your deck. Either way, it's an interesting card with a lot of potential.
Worst case you just name Lost Legacy.

That's actually...wait does it see itself in the graveyard? It does, doesn't it? Couldn't you run four of these to get your deck down to 57 cards and have a 1BB "draw four" spell in your deck?

Lost Legacy seems as playable as any other Extraction style card for Standard. Can hose certain decks but generally not something you want anywhere near your main deck. People talking about drawing cards with it seem to be missing that it only replaces cards exiled from the hard, not every card exiled. So outside of very rare situations it would cycle two cards at best.

Another spoiler, feels like something that should have been in Commander or Conspiracy as it's clearly a legacy/vintage plant. It's a reverse Tendrils!
Cr1qN0TWcAEW5w6.png

Yeah, he certainly seems like a card intended see play in those formats, although how much is an open question. Might still have a place in certain Standard or Modern sideboards but that's questionable.

El Topo

That's actually...wait does it see itself in the graveyard? It does, doesn't it? Couldn't you run four of these to get your deck down to 57 cards and have a 1BB "draw four" spell in your deck?

Cards need to be in hand though. Ah, still a nice hoser card. The five minutes I had misread the card were fun.

bigkrev

Infinite Obliteration sees play in Standard, Cranial Extraction was a $20 standard staple in it's era. This card will have a role in Sideboards, and could even see some eternal play, as having this effect that can hit enchantments/sorcerys/instants has never been done at this cost.

MoxManiac

Nice. Tendo Ice Bridge is worth a few bucks too, nice to see this at uncommon. Even if you don't have any other energy sources it still seems playable.

We have the BW, RW and UG legends. I'm assuming we'll get a UR and BG ones, unless Saheeli took that spot for UR.

There are two legendaries yet to be revealed (Padeem, Consul of Innovation and Oviya Pashiri) but neither of them really sound like they could be black/green. Maybe Padeem is mono-blue and there's some other black-green legend we don't know about.

Concerning the flavor of the Thriving cycle, I don't think it's so much that they're producing the energy, but that the scenario the card represents is "this creature is near energy, and that creature could use the energy to get bigger". Creature cards represent the creature during a certain situation (notably, the same legendary character can have different cards), and that can include things happening around it.

Anyway, Thriving Grubs looks like it could see Standard play, since it attacks as a 3/2 at 1R (unless you use the energy elsewhere) and stays that way, with the potential to get even bigger.

Cultivator's Caravan is a mana rock that can be used to attack later on. Seems good. The scalability of Wild Dreams seems good for Commander, but I'm not sure about Standard with Seasons Past still in.

It's hard to say if Kambal will see Standard play, but he seems like a good Commander and might be good for Eternal formats.

I'm surprised that art with Kiran was on a black card. I can't say for sure how good Lost Legacy is, but the fact that it's three mana and can hit instants and sorceries seems relevant.

Aether Hub seems really good, especially if you have other energy sources.

Cultivator's Caravan is a mana rock that can be used to attack later on. Seems good. The scalability of Wild Dreams seems good for Commander, but I'm not sure about Standard with Seasons Past still in.

My view is that Seasons Past means that if Wild Dreams sees play it will likely be to function as a Recollect rather than for getting multiple cards. So maybe as a Den Protector replacement.

Played some Vintage today after not playing for a while. Turn 1 Dack Fayden, turn 2 Notion Thief is as much fun as ever.

Game one I tried to resolve dack, he mana drains, I misdirect, he forces, I force back and then he cracks his lotus to play snapcaster mana drain. Then I slowly get whittled away for 2 until I'm able to assemble vault key off a demonic tutor with force backup.

Why does wizards hate counter spells? This is the most fun I've had in a while playing constructed. Plus the games are over pretty quick.

I wonder, with this, three-color Tamiyo, three-color Tezzeret and Ajani not being out of the realm of possibilities, and three-color Bolas definitely coming in Amonkhet, could Amonkhet have a three-color (shard) theme?

Made another update to Rainbow Bogles for this weekend's tournament:

kjhlkjx1oni.png

Shaved on a Reflecting Pool and a Path to up the aura count, going as far as a full playset of Unstable Mutation. One of the issues with Bogles is that although your creatures are basically invincible it's sometimes hard to attack through decks like Bant Eldrazi or even an especially large tarmogoyf. Mutation is just a massive bonus for one mana.

Reflecting Pool is the best second land in my deck and the worst first land so I decided to shave the third one in order to go down to 18 lands. Horizon Canopy and Gemstone Mine also have their weaknesses, so I might consider swapping one and going 3-3 with the Pools. 18 lands is just short of the 19 white sources for a 90% consistent turn 3 Daybreak, but it's not a dealbreaker and drawing the 4th land is worse than missing the 2nd land for a turn.

I decided to keep the Akroan Crusaders in the board, they did their job about as well as I expected through testing. They're not bad against Liliana and engineered explosives, and sometimes I just want to up my creature count on the draw vs discard-heavy decks. Not to mention that they're just much much better than bogles when your opponent sides out their targeted removal.

I wonder, with this, three-color Tamiyo, three-color Tezzeret and Ajani not being out of the realm of possibilities, and three-color Bolas definitely coming in Amonkhet, could Amonkhet have a three-color (shard) theme?

Yeah, that's what some of us were predicting when bolas got announced. Would be cool to see a theros-khans fusion style set. Instead of hitting X devotion, hitting a permanent of each of the three colors, for instance. Plus I just miss the tricolor draft format of khans because the better the mana fixing the more flexible the draft format tends to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom