• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Mafia |OT| Gotta Catch Em’ Scum!

Sophia

Christina Mackenzie looks scummy to me, although slightly more confrontational than last game. Light scum read.

I did find it rather interesting that I merely asked for his thoughts, and he got confrontational about it. Like yeah, I only know Scum CM. So I was hoping for more to go off of to see what "Town CM" looks like it.

*Splinter

I did find it rather interesting that I merely asked for his thoughts, and he got confrontational about it. Like yeah, I only know Scum CM. So I was hoping for more to go off of to see what "Town CM" looks like it.
Town CM had a strong game in HP, while scum CM looked scummy (to me, as a teammate) in both DR and PiR, so when CM seems scummy I trust my gut, although I don't remember any of his other games.

Sophia

Town CM had a strong game in HP, while scum CM looked scummy (to me, as a teammate) in both DR and PiR, so when CM seems scummy I trust my gut, although I don't remember any of his other games.

I admit I've never really looked over Harry Potter that well. Hmm...

Ty4on

Then what "agenda" are you accusing Darryl of promoting?
His tunneling on me. He's throwing accusations and shifting the burden of proof over to me.

I know Darryl plays aggressively by going hard on people, but there's no natural evolution to his thoughts. He starts off with a premise and then just defends it. He's not adding to it with new thoughts and not discussing it with other people.

Looking over that last post by Darryl again it's just a continued justification for his attack on me.
Darryl said:
If you're going to use fluff posting as your filtering mechanism for finding scum, you've certainly chosen one of the worst possible examples of it in this thread and I want to know why. To me, it's an obvious sign that you're making an argument up as you go.
I'm not using fluff as a filtering mechanism, I just asked him about why focus on me.

Anyhow, this is the only new point I saw brought up in that. I don't know what example he's talking about so I'll have to ask for a quote.
Still reads as... agenday with that last line. "Obvious sign."

Honestly not sure what to think of this game so far.

We need to get some legitimate reads going so I would like everyone to post a picture of their favourite pokemon.

uNXArTF.png

Pumpkaboo my fuckin' spirit veggie

makes my October every time

I'm on Page 2 at the moment. Will get to Page 3 later.

OK cool. So pretty basic question but how do you feel about the Ty4on, Sophia, Darryl triangle?

Why draw attention to three players? Their levels of interaction are minimal at best.

When you get time tonight, thoughts on Sophia-Ty-Darryl?

It had its desired effect though, as Sawneeks immediately latches on.

OK thanks for answering.

To answer you in return I don't really feel one way or another about any of them. None have really done anything unusual , and the discussions they've had are fairly normal

And here is a non-committal backpedal. "Yeah maybe there's nothing there but here I am singling out some players so hopefully others run off with this and absolve me of any responsibility in drawing attention to them."

No, you're not getting away that easily.

VOTE: Unmasked Ferret

alright
thats 2 people already with 'lol your gonna feel dumb when i flip town' style posts.
brilliant start!

Yeah, what is up with that? Soft-claiming town isn't an excuse for spitballing and making non-constructive posts.

-nin knows that arguing for a no-lynch doesn't make him scummy so he might as well, right?
-CM decides he's going to sit back and wait for something to happen, but don't mind him, he's town

Come on.

Blarg going to Blarg. I think the only somewhat useful post was the box one for grouping, but it looks like he just randomized it.

Let me get this out right now, because apparently I am naturally suspicious according to every game I've played in: I am town. I'm always* town.

*Except for Archer Mafia, where I was the noble Robin Hood.

Well, I didn't say I was perfect. Not my best decision.

Well, neither was a particularly good decision.

The hell are you guys smoking? Typhlosion looks like shit.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

Choices upon choices.

Oh God, look at him. What the hell is wrong with you nin?

All of El Topo's posts. The last two were on this page, when we've gotten some traction. I've heard of coasting, but this is ridiculous. You might as well not post.

Sophia

Why draw attention to three players? Their levels of interaction are minimal at best.

You think it might have just been because Ty brought up a Sophia-Darryl connection?

Bedtime and if last night is any indication these painkillers make me sleep a long time -_-

A Sophia-Darryl team is just too obvious.

I wanna speak with you tomorrow, Darryl. I didn't see anything solvey in your last post. I know your style is going hard on people, but your argument was so diluted in that long post. There's no analysis of what I wrote, just a big slab of justification for why what I wrote was scummy.

Either way, interesting.

Related, but I noticed Sawneeks still has her vote on Verelios after he responded to her. You still not feeling confident about him, Saw?

Finally, we have on one side Gorlak, with a short but substantial post (this is good), and Royal_Flush hammering the multi-quote button and just replying with short insignificant sentences (this is not good).

You think it might have just been because Ty brought up a Sophia-Darryl connection?

Either way, interesting.

I must've overlooked that. The triangle comment stuck out more to me, as three are sufficiently large enough to possibly contain a scum member. Town like the better odds and will pick sides.

Ty must've seen Darryl post right after you, but you ignored his introductory post and queried Hyper instead, so he might have seen that as deliberate.

Ty4on

I must've overlooked that. The triangle comment stuck out more to me, as three are sufficiently large enough to possibly contain a scum member. Town like the better odds and will pick sides.

Ty must've seen Darryl post right after you, but you ignored his introductory post and queried Hyper instead, so he might have seen that as deliberate.
Basically. It seemed like a stealth "What did you think of Darryl's post?" in context.

I linked the two the moment Darryl made his post voting for me though. I read that post like three times not getting why he'd post that. Admittedly I haven't been targeted by Darryl before apart from maybe Volcano.
My thoughts were "It can't be that obvious" over and over again and I decided to post it knowing that the last time I kept it to myself it later hurt me (Mini Mafia).

Ty4on

Still feels too easy. I haven't been very motivated today, but I'll take a look at Ferret. That post by L_P intrigued me.

roytheone

Bronx-man reacted almost exactly the same to you asking him for his thoughts, and both haven't contributed anything after that, unless you count CM not reading the OP. Apparently you are a scary person when prodding people? ;)

El Topo

Seriously though, accusing a player of coasting when you have less posts and we are barely into the first day is nonsensical bullshit.

VOTE: Lone_Prodigy

Sophia

Bronx-man reacted almost exactly the same to you asking him for his thoughts, and both haven't contributed anything after that, unless you count CM not reading the OP. Apparently you are a scary person when prodding people? ;)

Yup. It hasn't escaped my notice. Nin did something similar too, but at least Nin defended his "no lynch" decision a little bit.

Darryl

Banned
His tunneling on me. He's throwing accusations and shifting the burden of proof over to me.

I know Darryl plays aggressively by going hard on people, but there's no natural evolution to his thoughts. He starts off with a premise and then just defends it. He's not adding to it with new thoughts and not discussing it with other people.

Looking over that last post by Darryl again it's just a continued justification for his attack on me.

I'm not using fluff as a filtering mechanism, I just asked him about why focus on me.

Anyhow, this is the only new point I saw brought up in that. I don't know what example he's talking about so I'll have to ask for a quote.

Let's start with the middle line. "I'm not using fluff as a filtering mechanism."

Why is this post 225 words long? It reads like you're endlessly padding a weak argument.

I'm just having a harder time seeing Darryl's post coming from from a town. What struck me about the post from Darryl is how weak his argument was and what a weird thing to focus on it was in context. Heck, as he pointed out later:

Emphasise mine.

He's throwing shade at fluff posts, but never commented on the fluff posts.

By saying that I'm not being town, you're saying that I'm acting like mafia. What logically follows the accusation is your argument as to why I'm acting scummy, which is about the fluffiness of my posts. If you're finding my behavior to be indicative of scum and the supportive evidence you're using is based off the fluffiness of my post (lol), then you're therefore using fluff as a filtering mechanism in order to find scum. All I'm doing is restating the obvious. A filter just means it's a way of separating town and scum and you've clearly used fluff as a filter to separate town and scum above.

I don't even know what you want me to say here. "All Darryl does is justify his attack on me!", like there's something else I'm supposed to do here. I've commented on your posts and I confront every post you make. I can't fabricate posts by you and then hope that'll help us find scum.

You don't even defend yourself, so I'm not provoked into elaborating. You attempt to counter-argue and deflect. If I didn't include this line right here, you guaranteed would've responded to this post with some variant of "but why haven't you answered my vague question about Sophia?", like pressuring me into some vague thoughts and feelings about Sophia right now is somehow going to be useful to you later on in the game. I could say that I think Sophia is town, I could say she's scum. Either way she or me flips, it'll be useless because it's a throwaway statement without any sort of commitment behind it. I have very little opinions about most players and I don't have any opinions on Sophia either.

I write out a huge post and I get you calling me "agenday", which you don't even exactly point out what kind of agenda I could possibly have. Other people are having to jump in to try to suss out coherency from you. You call my arguments weak but are you reading what you're typing here? Do you think you've built some lengthy explanation for why exactly I'm acting scummy, and what agenda I could possibly have? I have a vague bullet point above, with the fluff posting comment you made. Outside of that, though, you haven't explained it. I've actually read these posts and I know what we're talking about, too.

And the words "obvious"? Like there's something taboo about using the words "obvious"? To me it is really obvious that you're making this up as you go along (especially with the OMGUS counter-argument as shown above). I don't know what other word to use besides obvious. Blatant? Is that less agenda-y?

El Topo

Hey, look, a post with more than one line.

My job is done.

"Look, I post vague pointless readings on Day 1, I am contributing! I am not scum! I will point to this later to claim that I am an active and contributing member even though nothing I did provided any value!"

roytheone

Seriously though, accusing a player of coasting when you have less posts and we are barely into the first day is nonsensical bullshit.

VOTE: Lone_Prodigy

Wut?

So someone like Blarg, who posts a lot but has said exactly 0 things of value, is better then someone that posts fewer, but actually contributes in those posts? Looking purely to post counts is a very bad way to play.

Sophia

I see nothing of value. I do however see aggressive nonsensical bullshit that you jump to defend.

Nothing of value?

He came out with a fairly decent observation of Unmasked Ferret that nobody else made, and called you out on your complete lack of substance (showing a slight willingness to scum hunt) while also providing some observations on Gorlak and Royal?

I'm not saying it's a lot, but it's showing an eagerness to engage in the conversation. Contrast to you who acts like an Innocent Child with your whole "I'm always town" shtick and have posted a whole lot of nothing.

So how the hell is that "nothing of value"?

El Topo

So someone like Blarg, who posts a lot but has said exactly 0 things of value, is better then someone that posts fewer, but actually contributes in those posts? Looking purely to post counts is a very bad way to play.

Posting empty readings on Day 1 masquerading as contributing is worse. Blarg is just Blarg. Hard to read for town and scum, unless he happens to be the latter.

El Topo

I'm not saying it's a lot, but it's showing an eagerness to engage in the conversation.

No. It's nothing. It's the kind of stuff you post on Day 1 to seem engaged in the discussion. Same as those stupid reading lists people like to post.

El Topo

No offense, but this for example

Finally, we have on one side Gorlak, with a short but substantial post (this is good), and Royal_Flush hammering the multi-quote button and just replying with short insignificant sentences (this is not good).

is nothing in my book.

El Topo

*cough*questionnaires*cough*

*cough*Rorschach*cough*

aachoo

I don't see how the fundamental idea of a questionnaire is problematic, at least if everyone participates and provides sufficiently detailed answers. It sets a guideline on the behavior of the player and gives them a pre-emptive way to explain themselves, should someone (i.e. scum) later try to turn their posts against them. As I wrote back in the DP game, the one I posted wasn't really meant to be used, but was conceived late in the night.

The Rorschach test, as I explained in PiR, was just part of a gambit that didn't work.

roytheone

Posting empty readings on Day 1 masquerading as contributing is worse. Blarg is just Blarg. Hard to read for town and scum, unless he happens to be the latter.

Ok, thats a much better reason to vote for someone then just vote counts, even though I disagree with your assessment of LP his post. Why didn't you immediately said that instead of focusing on his post count and only giving us the real reason for your vote after people called you out on the post count thing?

Ty4on

Let's start with the middle line. "I'm not using fluff as a filtering mechanism."

By saying that I'm not being town, you're saying that I'm acting like mafia. What logically follows the accusation is your argument as to why I'm acting scummy, which is about the fluffiness of my posts. If you're finding my behavior to be indicative of scum and the supportive evidence you're using is based off the fluffiness of my post (lol), then you're therefore using fluff as a filtering mechanism in order to find scum. All I'm doing is restating the obvious. A filter just means it's a way of separating town and scum and you've clearly used fluff as a filter to separate town and scum above.
I was thinking of other people's post. I figured it was obvious from your post talking about not focusing of the fluff posted by other people, but I didn't catch that you were thinking I attacked you for being fluffy.

I wouldn't call your post fluffy, you're at the very least talking about something game related. I just feel like you were blowing your post up to make a weak point look stronger.

I don't even know what you want me to say here. "All Darryl does is justify his attack on me!", like there's something else I'm supposed to do here. I've commented on your posts and I confront every post you make. I can't fabricate posts by you and then hope that'll help us find scum.

You don't even defend yourself, so I'm not provoked into elaborating. You attempt to counter-argue and deflect. If I didn't include this line right here, you guaranteed would've responded to this post with some variant of "but why haven't you answered my vague question about Sophia?", like pressuring me into some vague thoughts and feelings about Sophia right now is somehow going to be useful to you later on in the game. I could say that I think Sophia is town, I could say she's scum. Either way she or me flips, it'll be useless because it's a throwaway statement without any sort of commitment behind it. I have very little opinions about most players and I don't have any opinions on Sophia either.
Why should I defend against an argument I don't understand?

IMO scum on scum interactions are the strongest tools in this game so obviously I want my biggest scum reads to interact.

I write out a huge post and I get you calling me "agenday", which you don't even exactly point out what kind of agenda I could possibly have. Other people are having to jump in to try to suss out coherency from you. You call my arguments weak but are you reading what you're typing here? Do you think you've built some lengthy explanation for why exactly I'm acting scummy, and what agenda I could possibly have? I have a vague bullet point above, with the fluff posting comment you made. Outside of that, though, you haven't explained it. I've actually read these posts and I know what we're talking about, too.

And the words "obvious"? Like there's something taboo about using the words "obvious"? To me it is really obvious that you're making this up as you go along (especially with the OMGUS counter-argument as shown above). I don't know what other word to use besides obvious. Blatant? Is that less agenda-y?
Agenda is that I'm scum. Agenda-y because of how often and how are you're pushing that point. The word obvious by itself isn't scummy, but the way it's used is. It's as if you're more interested in amplifying a view than finding the truth.

El Topo

Ok, thats a much better reason to vote for someone then just vote counts, even though I disagree with your assessment of LP his post.

1. Who said anything about voting for someone due to post counts? Please give a post for this claim.

2. Please explain yourself in detail on LP and his assessments. I see nothing of value and Sophia hasn't tried to explain her trust in LP either, instead resorting to hollow phrases like "He came out with a fairly decent observation". About as brilliant as when people in PiR thought they had caught a slip up by WAMD.

Why didn't you immediately said that instead of focusing on his post count and only giving us the real reason for your vote after people called you out on the post count thing?

What are you talking about? A coasting comment barely into the first day is bullshit, even moreso when you are barely posting. It's embarassing that people even jump to defend it or even more to bring it up as an actual positive.

No. It's nothing. It's the kind of stuff you post on Day 1 to seem engaged in the discussion. Same as those stupid reading lists people like to post.

Look, it takes a coaster to know a coaster. I'm not denying that.

But it's Day 1. Either you sit back and wait for something to happen (as CM pointed out), or you make something happen yourself. You might even say I got you into the game by quoting all your posts.

No offense, but this for example

is nothing in my book.

I presented two opening posts that differed in style. Do they both look like "empty readings" to you?

Top Bottom