• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this tinfoil theory on reddit
aREDo52.jpg

ajf009

Can someone post a pic of the 1/4 lifelink that i believe was UB and related to artifacts? I can't find it for the life of me

any particular reason why the Aetherborn are seemingly all evil, anyway? Or did they just need a creature type for black

In this set because they have such a low-conflict setting they're showing off a lot of the less-commonly-seen, softer sides of the colors. For red that means tender hugs and big emotions; for black that means a characteristic race that isn't about death and evil. In this case, the thing about the aetherborn is that they all live very short lives so they're collectively very hedonistic and self-oriented, and they leverage an internal species economy to live opulent lifestyles. They're basically the YOLO race and mostly fall into a range between "overzealous collector nerds" and "low-key gangsters," which all fits black pretty well despite being different from their usual races.

(Honestly, zombies are the odd man out here: the only thing black about them is that they're undead.)

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";217027630]it'd be interesting to see white-aligned zombies.[/QUOTE]

Tbh, you could make an argument for zombies of pretty much any colour. Except maybe green. White and red seem like they'd be a pretty easy fit.

EDIT: Actually, green could work too. Parasitic zombies are a thing, after all.

ajf009

So I threw this together on a whim, I doubt it's anything more than a fun kitchen table deck, but let me know what you guys think!

Artifacts:
2x Accorder’s Shield
3x Spidersilk Net
2x Basilisk Collar
1x Skeleton Key
3x Chromatic Lantern

Creatures:
4x Ornithopter
2x Birds of Paradise
2x Yoked Ox
2x Dragon’s Eye Savant
2x Llanowar Augur
3x Sylvan Caryatid
2x Nyx-Fleece Ram
4x Contraband Kingpin

Non creature:
4x Assault Formation
3x Enlightened Tutor
2x Abrupt Decay
2x Path to Exile

Lands:
1x Godless Shrine
1x Breeding Pool
2x Temple Garden
4x Windswept Heath
2x Flooded Strand
3x Polluted Delta
1x Swamp
1x Forest
1x Island
1x Plains

Sideboard
2x Gravedigger’s Cage
2x Leyland of Sanctity
2x Spellskite
1x Batterskull
2x Surgical Extraction
2x Pithing Needle
2x Path to Exile

Maybe board
Ayli
Supreme Verdict
Aetherflux Reservoir

y2dvd

Yeah, I stay outta most politics thread because it really doesn't seem to be any better than all the other sites gaf likes to judge. Pouring a 40 for kiblar until his resurrection.

jph139

(Honestly, zombies are the odd man out here: the only thing black about them is that they're undead.)

Zombies always felt less like a "race" and more like a "tool" for Black to me. Like, they're less akin to Merfolk than they are to, say, Elementals. Blue mages summon living water, Red mages summon living fire, Black mages summon living death.

While there are a fair amount of aetherborn cards related to organized crime and extending their lives, many of the cards just involve them living their lives and buying stuff.

incidentally living death is one of my favorite cards and has probably caused me to lose more vintage cube drafts than any other card because I can't help but build around it.

Tbh, you could make an argument for zombies of pretty much any colour. Except maybe green. White and red seem like they'd be a pretty easy fit.

EDIT: Actually, green could work too. Parasitic zombies are a thing, after all.

I would say that, based entirely on their behavior (and not how they were created), zombies are more green than anything else. The qualities they exhibit closely resemble those of an untamed, hungry beast that operates purely on instinct. That's a trait that's mostly green and sort of red. It's definitely not black, blue, or white.

Ashodin

Also another case of "why would you use this art on such a terrible card"

Like ok it's a 2/1 with two servos or a 4/3 for 2WW

:(

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Eldrazi Displacer is gonna be everywhere with all these etb triggers.

I have an alternate theory that Eldrazi Displacer is less good than you might otherwise surmise without painlands.

Aether Hub and Crumbling Vestige only conditionally give you any colored mana and going Wilds ----> Wastes means you don't get any at all.

I was about to ask why Renegade Freighter gets a boost on attack, but I keep forgetting that vehicles can block too.

And yes, you can have Renegade Freighter gattai with Aradara Express.

Toxi

Banned
In this set because they have such a low-conflict setting they're showing off a lot of the less-commonly-seen, softer sides of the colors. For red that means tender hugs and big emotions; for black that means a characteristic race that isn't about death and evil. In this case, the thing about the aetherborn is that they all live very short lives so they're collectively very hedonistic and self-oriented, and they leverage an internal species economy to live opulent lifestyles. They're basically the YOLO race and mostly fall into a range between "overzealous collector nerds" and "low-key gangsters," which all fits black pretty well despite being different from their usual races.

Another way to think of it is that because the Aetherborn live such short lifespans and have no children, they have no motivation to worry about commitments or suffering long-term consequences. Other species often see the benefits of their altruism and the costs of their selfishness. Aetherborn are dead by the time either happens with nobody to inherit those things from them.

I really like them, especially since they don't fit into the usual fantasy/science fiction species tropes. Hope they come back in other blocks.

Some new vehicles. I get the feeling that limited is going to be all about vehicles. That train is insane for a common (the 4/3 one).
Creature locked boards are gonna be rare with that crazy power.

Ashodin

ok holy fuck

That Train is insane

Literally put creatures under the train

Can we call the one above it the bus?

So we can throw creatures under the bus?

I like how they can go wild with P/T because the crew cost is the key. Great set of knobs they can turn to change the power

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I like how they can go wild with P/T because the crew cost is the key. Great set of knobs they can turn to change the power

yeah I'm really appreciating this part of the design. Looks like it will lead to some more interesting decisions then, for example, the casting vs equip cost on equipment usually does

Yeef

I would say that, based entirely on their behavior (and not how they were created), zombies are more green than anything else. The qualities they exhibit closely resemble those of an untamed, hungry beast that operates purely on instinct. That's a trait that's mostly green and sort of red. It's definitely not black, blue, or white.
That's an accurate description of zombies from most zombie movies/films, but the zombies in Magic are the result of necromancy and follow the will of their necromancers. Liliana, for example, uses them as butlers. That makes them very not-green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom