• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Mafia |OT| Gotta Catch Em’ Scum!

Sawneeks

Banned
Gorlak left Verelios, Ynnek, and myself off of his previous recap and opinions posts, which I'm only bringing up now because if Gorlak dies at some point and flips scum people are going to point back to that and say "hey he left these three people out of this post, maybe there's something there" even though it probably was because we didn't really do anything of note.

Subtle.

Huh, that is such a nothing excuse to scum read me I can't believe it. Why would I even put out something like that if I was trying to keep a low profile, does that make sense to you? To anyone? Okay, as that's the only read you have good going trying to run with it.

Because you have talked about nothing else. You brought up your idea, discussed it a bit, then disappeared. You only reappeared when I called you out on not contributing and even then what you did say was safe and a huge reach. As Scum you could bring up your idea and talk it out and then safely scuttle back into coasting but when I kept calling you out on it you kept failing to find reasons to explain what you did.

Coasting Scum isn't a new thing, it happens in almost every game.

Burbeting

Banned
stanleypalmtree (0)
christina mackenzie 48 (400)
blargonaut 179 (294)

nin1000 (0)
sophia 59 (74)
roytheone 423 (710)

sophia (3)
ty4on 96
fireblend 232 (374)
*splinter 237 (459)
christina mackenzie 400 (673)
blargonaut 711
bronx-man 799

verelios (1)
sawneeks 97

ty4on (0)
darryl 123 (472)

*splinter (0)
melonrabbit 134 (642)

salvapot (1)
gorlak 197 (222)
gorlak 424
blargonaut 590 (668)

roytheone (0)
gorlak 222 (424)

unmasked ferret (1)
lone_prodigy 259
sophia 499 (514)
barrylocke 761 (796)

lone_prodigy (1)
el topo 275

bronx-man (5)
sophia 323 (462)
stanleypalmtree 442
ynnek7 592
sophia 762
*splinter 774 (777)
*splinter 797
roytheone 802

hyperactivity (0)
fireblend 374 (484)

christina mackenzie (0)
*splinter 459 (774)

fireblend (1)
darryl 472 (739)
dusk soldier 543

el topo (1)
sophia 514 (676)
royal_flush 519 (801)
melonrabbit 642
sophia 678 (747)

sawneeks (1)
verelios 571

no lynch (1)
salvapot 572
darryl 739 (798)

ynnek (1)
fireblend 666

blargonaut (0)
sophia 676 (678)
sophia 676 (678)
bronx-man 715 (799)

dusk soldier (0)
roytheone 710 (802)

melonrabbit (1)
*splinter 786 (797)
barrylocke 796

gorak (1)
nin1000 789

gorlak (1)
darryl 798

RetroMG

9fJ6gm9.jpg

Burbeting

Banned
Evening 1

The first day of conversation between the many Pokémon had been gone quite fast. There was some arguing, but most of the talking was very civil... well as civil as is possibly could be, this is group of ferocious monsters we're talking about.

But time had finally come to make the decision on who to kill of. Because obviously the Pokémon couldn't just detain the suspect, obviously they had to die.

"It's Sophia!"
"No, it's El Topo!"
"I think it's Blargonaut!"
"It must be Gorlak!"

And so on and so on. But then five of the Pokémon stood up, and ganged up on Bronx-Man, who was sitting quite peacefully as all of this infighting was going on.

"It's Bronx-Man!"
"Yes, yes it is!"
"Kill him!"

And before anyone else could move a muscle, those five ganged up on the Bronx-Man, and teared him to shreds. Poor Charizard...

Bronx-Man has been lynched!

Burbeting said:
Welcome to NeoGAF Island, full of wonderous Pokémon. What type of Pokémon might you be…?

Oh, I remember now!

You are Charizard (#006), a Fire Type Pokémon!

You are aligned with Pokémon living in the Island (which means TOWN).

You are the Celebrity among the Pokémon! This means that you can use the command INFERNO once during a day phase, and you will be revealed to everyone as the town-aligned celebrity!

However, note that you can only do this once, and you have to be the vote leader during the time you send the command. The command will also not work if you only have one vote.

You can be caught by the Pokémon trainer into a Pokéball. If this happens, you will be informed with a PM.

You will win if all of the forces that may disrupt the town have been defeated.

Game thread is here: www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277820

Night 1 begins. Night actions are accepted until one hour before deadline.

Alive: 22
Dead: 1
Day 1 - Bronx-Man (Charizard, a Celebrity)

bla_1474225200.png

Burbeting

Banned
Flavor is up :).

---

NOTE: I'm sorry for not putting up the link to the Vote Tool, few people had requested it. The link has been updated to show in this post: This Post!

Sorry for the inconvenience, everyone!

Burbeting

Banned
Day 2

And so the Pokémon woke up from their blissful sleep... well, mostly blissful sleep. It seemed that at least someone was killed during the night.

"What the... this Pokémon is not a Pokémon at all! It's a human!"
"What the hell is this person even wearing? This is no human clothing I've ever seen."
"It's... it's a bacon suit!"

The one who had died, Barrylocke, was seemingly wearing a suit made out of greasy bacon for absolutely no good reason. The person was also wearing a strage wig shaped like an owl Pokémon for no good reason at all.

"Hey, there is some note in here!"

The Pokémon searched bacon pockets just to find lots of Pokéballs, and a note that says: "Please listen to my newest Single, 'The Perfect Illusion'"

Barrylocke has been removed from the Island

"YAAAS! SLAY QUEEEEEN!"
"GO GET THEM GAGAAAA <333"
"SLAY QUEEEEEEEN!!!"

Oh, those words... they are like magic to your ears. All of your fans cheering you on, as you are walking towards a new challenge, a new source of inspiration for your new song after NeoGAF decided to dislike your newest hot single "The Perfect Illusion..."

Indeed, it is time for you, Lady Gaga, to show the world your might as the next Pokémon Master!

You are Lady Gaga, a Pokémon Trainer!

You are aligned with [REVOKED DUE TO N1 DEATH]

However, you are also aligned with The Pokémon Team of Lady Gaga!

During the night, you may throw a Pokéball at a player with the command POKÉBALL: (Player). If all conditions are met, the Pokémon will be caught, and will be given the alignment of The Pokémon Team of Lady Gaga, while still retaining also their pre-existing alignment. You will receive a PM confirmation if the recruitment was successful or not. However, note that you can only catch Pokémon that haven't been caught yet by other trainer(s). You cannot be caught in a Pokéball yourself.

[REVOKED DUE TO N1 DEATH]

If you are killed during the first night while you are recruiting your first Pokémon, that recruited Pokémon will inherit your Pokémon Trainer status. Please note, that this inheritance will only happen, if you die during the first night.

Day 2 Begins

Majority is 11

Alive: 21
Dead: 2
Day 1 - Bronx-Man (Charizard, a Celebrity)
Night 1 - Barrylocke (Lady Gaga, a Pokémon Trainer)

bla_1474484400.png

Ty4on

...what the fuck?

With the "[REVOKED DUE TO N1 DEATH]" and from the line:
If you are killed during the first night while you are recruiting your first Pokémon, that recruited Pokémon will inherit your Pokémon Trainer status. Please note, that this inheritance will only happen, if you die during the first night.
It sounds like someone overtook his role.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't scum though unless this night was really crazy.

Hi

I'm not fully caught up (it's 0300h for me right now) but I did skip ahead to the final tally/results and the shift to the easy vote for Bronx-Man is a bit more suspect than the usually easily discounted D1 vote. Especially since he had a half de facto (soft) Override.

What does everyone think of Barry's flip? Looks like Pokemon may be Pokemon and Trainers are... real people? For some reason? Oh Burb!

I'm trying to remember how the last game with censored flips went... Nin, Salva, do you by any chance remember such a game?

Team Lady Gaga apparently is an additional Party. I'm assuming right now that this means that the Pokemon caught get an additional win-condition while still having their original win-condition. However, the other alignment for Barrylocke is censored, so we may have a real third party also? What? This confuses me more than it should. But kudos to Burb for putting in a safety net (Looks at Voldemort and the Neutral in Gods)

And how the hell can a Pokemon catch other Pokemon? I don't think that's how it works :D

Assuming a scum kill, Barry was town or neutral. The redacted bits indicate that the Pokemon that he caught now has his role, given Barry's N1 death. Relevant text:

"If you are killed during the first night while you are recruiting your first Pokémon, that recruited Pokémon will inherit your Pokémon Trainer status. Please note, that this inheritance will only happen, if you die during the first night."

The text tells us that we have at least two species in play-- humans and Pokemon. Humans can catch Pokemon, but cannot be caught themselves. Presumably the Pokemon who is now Lady Gaga has become human, at least in terms of Trainer-hood (ie, ability to catch Pokemon).

I've got a ton of homework today, so I'll be posting a little sporadic and I really need to think about this Lady Gaga/Pokemon business so more to coherently discuss it.

In my notes for D1, I said I wanted to watch Verelios more today. This was before the end of D1 where Verelios started acting very strange. His original vote on Sawneeks was at was introduced as a placeholder vote to generate discussion. Verelios disappears until under an hour before the deadline and drops this. Bold is my emphasizes:

I'll explain my vote on Sawneeks since time is running low.

[snip]

TBC

This amounted to summary of (most) everything Sawneeks had done throughout the day and it added up to her being suspicious and a promise from Verelios of a follow-up post (which didn't happen).

When Sawneeks addressed this here was his response:

Huh, what? So I could've bookended my statement with I like Orange Islands and it would've been okay. I prefaced my post with I didn't mind how day 1 goes either way, so why would I care about my suggestion. It really sounds like you're tunneling into this idea that the rng idea was some ingenious scum ploy to kill town.

Which leads me to question why. From what I know, scum like to direct bullets to the side whenever things get to hot for their teammates. I have to wonder, actually, I'm not even wondering, this is obviously an agenda. Give me some concrete theories otherwise your just trying to deflect bullets to me.

And later there was this exchange with Royal:
You're telling me you made this whole list of reasons and posts before you put your vote down?

No, I didn't, that would be silly. I put my initial vote down out of annoyance, but afterwards thought about why I'd be annoyed. So I went back through the thread and explained my reasoning afterwards.

The whole thing feels off and I know it got lost in the Bronx dog pile.

Verelios, I would really like a clear and concise read from you on Sawneeks and an explanation as why you would post all that an hour from deadline.

Gorlak

Banned
First things first

vote: Sophia

I want to see a fullgrown claim, fluff paraphrasing, full details stuff. You blamed Splinter for bringing up melon way to late, while you obviously have a double vote on your side. You could've made melon the vote leader at that time, yet you refused to do so. The fact that you did not make use of your double vote also indicates that you can only use it x-times, probably just once.

I believe you to be part of the scum team. We've seen a vote thief (and a double voter?) on the scum side in past games. You gained a high amount of pressure and came out with your ability for no apparant reason. Your justification for doing so was nonexistent. You tried to get off the radar with your actions before we were too close to the deadline and to prevent your own lynch, which had a high chance of happening. I'm wary of the people who immediatly jumped to your side (Roy!) with "I don't believe this could be scum".

Sawneeks

Banned
Hi

I'm not fully caught up (it's 0300h for me right now) but I did skip ahead to the final tally/results and the shift to the easy vote for Bronx-Man is a bit more suspect than the usually easily discounted D1 vote. Especially since he had a half de facto (soft) Override.

What does everyone think of Barry's flip? Looks like Pokemon may be Pokemon and Trainers are... real people? For some reason? Oh Burb!

I need to go back and see what Barry did but if I remember correctly it wasn't very much. His role is weird I'm not sure how common having extra teams are in these games but considering that [redacted] primary alignment and no explained win condition ( plus the ability to catch people and put them on Team Gaga? ) leads me to think of a 3rd Team.

Also...why Lady Gaga as the flavor? Subverts expectations but...okay.

Ynnek7

Wow, yeah, I guess with that flip we can throw out a lot of preconceived notions about what we might be up against.

Sophia

Hi

Hmm... Barry's flip huh? He had two votes that day phase, with the vote on Melonrabbit coming at the last second.

I'd rather an Unmasked Ferret Lynch than a no lynch if only because #Triangle is more interesting to me than El Topos thing.

Vote: unmasked ferret

VOTE: melonrabbit

Doesn't really seem much relevant there to me. I'll check back his posts to see what else he had in a second.

First things first

I want to see a fullgrown claim, fluff paraphrasing, full details stuff. You blamed Splinter for bringing up melon way to late, while you obviously have a double vote on your side. You could've made melon the vote leader at that time, yet you refused to do so. The fact that you did not make use of your double vote also indicates that you can only use it x-times, probably just once.

I believe you to be part of the scum team. We've seen a vote thief (and a double voter?) on the scum side in past games. You gained a high amount of pressure and came out with your ability for no apparant reason. Your justification for doing so was nonexistent. You tried to get off the radar with your actions before we were too close to the deadline and to prevent your own lynch, which had a high chance of happening. I'm wary of the people who immediatly jumped to your side (Roy!) with "I don't believe this could be scum".

Well I'm glad you figured out the obvious. I didn't make melon the vote leader because I wasn't certain she was scum, which is why I was disappointed that Splinter wasn't able to chime in sooner.

Gorlak

Banned
So you want me to move my vote?

Christina, me going in on you yesterday was not about moving your vote. It was about getting you to contribute to this game. Your whole attitude was more of "I can't keep up", "I'm not ready for this" somewhat unmotivated vibe.

You did not comment once on anyone in a meaningful way. You wanted to pressure Sophia (that was the full extent of your justification for your vote), than you admitted to having overseen the Soph/Ty/Darryl conversation, later you described them all as a null.
You had time to converse with me, but never tried to put out reasons to vote someone. You refused to play the game, hence I tried to get something out of you. But you only were defense against melon (?) and ultimately backed out with a "I'd rather not vote" - you gave up the only thing an ordinary town player has within his powers to win this game.
Thus you are very suspicious to me.

Sawneeks

Banned
First things first

I would also like to add to this, if I may.

I pointed this post out before the Day ended

In that case. I'd rather remove deadweight today (as per Royal's suggestion)

Vote: bronx-man

because the bolded stood out to me. This was her response in turn:

Because he's coming off as townish to me.

Why Sophia would trust someone on Day 1 enough to follow them in a vote is beyond me. It also feels like the deflecting of responsibility so if Bronx ended up flipping Town she could go back and say 'well I was just listening to what Royal suggested!'.

Speaking of Verelios, my feelings haven't changed over the course of the night phase. Having reread my notes and his posts I still don't feel great about him and I will more than likely end my vote on him today. However, there are other's I want to look at today and not just spend the Day hounding him so I won't be casting my vote that way just yet.

In the meantime,

Vote: roytheone

Don't think you ever said you thought Bronx was Scummy so why did you vote for him last minute?

Gorlak

Banned
Well I'm glad you figured out the obvious. I didn't make melon the vote leader because I wasn't certain she was scum, which is why I was disappointed that Splinter wasn't able to chime in sooner.

Of course you only respond to the points you find an easy answer to. Scum would exactly do that.

Why would it make a difference if Splinter chimed in earlier? One's persons vote on melon would've made it worth to vote her? Why? I can only see the suspicious reason that it would've been less obvious that you were responsible for hanging her.

Why did you claim when you did?

What were you trying to achieve with your claim?

When do we get a full claim?

What is your pokemon?

Are you town-aligned?

Sawneeks

Banned
So we currently have a 4 way tie between sophia, topo, bronx, and no lynch, right? I will keep my vote on dusk in case anyone wants to join, but I may move it to prevent a tie or no lynch or sophia from getting lynched. I still believe a double vote is more likely to be town.

Hm, found this.

Why do you trust Sophia enough to want to prevent her lynch? What has she done that makes you think this way or is it just the Doublevater ability?

Sorry sawneeks ! My bad !
I dont know who is leading so i am unsure if this will make any impact or not. So my vote will go down on.

Vote: Gorak
your way of playing just rubs me the wrong way :)

Anything jump out at you that Gorlak did or is this vote just on a gut feeling?

I also noticed that multiple people mentioned they thought about voting for Melon but ultimately did not, yourself included. Why did you go for Gorlak instead of Melon, who you sort-of Scum read?

Fireblend

Banned
Huh, that's uh, some flavor Burb.

Anyway, I'm travelling back home so I won't be able to post or check the thread during the next few hours since network is spotty at best. I'll be back in the game and fully operational tomorrow.

Verelios

Yo Picknickers! What's good with everyone, good sleep, good rest, good night?
This amounted to summary of (most) everything Sawneeks had done throughout the day and it added up to her being suspicious and a promise from Verelios of a follow-up post (which didn't happen).

When Sawneeks addressed this here was his response:

And later there was this exchange with Royal:

The whole thing feels off and I know it got lost in the Bronx dog pile.

Verelios, I would really like a clear and concise read from you on Sawneeks and an explanation as why you would post all that an hour from deadline.
Hm, hm, hm, yes of course. I initially posted a vote for Sawneeks out of exasperation which lead to me combing through her posts for why I was exasperated. At the end of the day, I was suspicious of how much she was pushing an agenda, but it's not like my suspicion has some hard proof you're looking for, other than my post and her behavior. As for not following up...are you serious? There was less than an hour left, who's going to jump ship to Sawneeks at that point in time

Sophia

Of course you only respond to the points you find an easy answer to. Scum would exactly do that.

Why would it make a difference if Splinter chimed in earlier? One's persons vote on melon would've made it worth to vote her? Why? I can only see the suspicious reason that it would've been less obvious that you were responsible for hanging her.

Why did you claim when you did?

What were you trying to achieve with your claim?

When do we get a full claim?

What is your pokemon?

Are you town-aligned?

• Because I wanted to talk more about Melon, and Splinter came out of nowhere and voted on her which means he had some opinion on the subject. But it was too late to discuss it.
  • No particular reason. I wanted to give Blarg something to talk about. =P
  • I'm Piplup, a water type Pokemon. X-Shot Double Voter. I'm not telling you how many shots. Only consumed if my double vote is on someone at day end tho.
  • Yes, I'm town aligned.

Why Sophia would trust someone on Day 1 enough to follow them in a vote is beyond me. It also feels like the deflecting of responsibility so if Bronx ended up flipping Town she could go back and say 'well I was just listening to what Royal suggested!'.

You'll see no such things from me. I may have liked Royal's suggestion, but my choice to vote off Bronx was my own, as are the consequences of that vote.

Verelios

I also noticed that multiple people mentioned they thought about voting for Melon but ultimately did not, yourself included. Why did you go for Gorlak instead of Melon, who you sort-of Scum read?
I find it very telling, hm, hm, very telling indeed that you didn't change your vote on me day 1 despite no one else latching on.

But-

Not a safe vote right. Hmmmmmmmm, yep

Gorlak

Banned
  • Because I wanted to talk more about Melon, and Splinter came out of nowhere and voted on her which means he had some opinion on the subject. But it was too late to discuss it.
  • No particular reason. I wanted to give Blarg something to talk about. =P
  • I'm Piplup, a water type Pokemon. X-Shot Double Voter. I'm not telling you how many shots. Only consumed if my double vote is on someone at day end tho.
  • Yes, I'm town aligned.

Why would Piplup out of all the Pokémon there are (especially an inferior water-type) be a double-voter?

I have a very big problem with your "no particular reason" explanation. You don't claim your PR out of nowhere just for the lulz. You are way to much of an overthinker to just babble out your power without thinking of any consequence. Not buying that one, the vote stays.

Gorlak

Banned
Also you could've made people talk about melon, when you wanted to by simply using your power. Surely you would've gotten some reactions to her being vote leader. Again a weak reasoning.

Yo Picknickers! What's good with everyone, good sleep, good rest, good night?

Hm, hm, hm, yes of course. I initially posted a vote for Sawneeks out of exasperation which lead to me combing through her posts for why I was exasperated. At the end of the day, I was suspicious of how much she was pushing an agenda, but it's not like my suspicion has some hard proof you're looking for, other than my post and her behavior. As for not following up...are you serious? There was less than an hour left, who's going to jump ship to Sawneeks at that point in time

So you were exasperated for ... some reason and decide to put a placeholder vote on Sawneeks until you could figure why?

Also, saying there wasn't time for a follow-up? You choose to post all that forty minutes before we hit deadline. You had hours following your intial vote on her to post something. If you were worried about time why not wait until today. Why then?

Gorlak

Banned
Why would Charizard be the celebrity?

Because he's the absolutely most popular Pokémon there is? (at least within the fans of pkmn, not the casual "pkmn oh yeah I like pikachu") Everyone loves Charizard, he's almighty and famous. He's the only one besides motherf'n Mewtwo to get TWO megaevolutions. He was featured in the last final battle of the xy league against Ash in the series.

You can't deny his popularity. His role fits his status within the pkmn fandom.

Top Bottom