• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

So hareruya is holding some M15 forward tourneys.
  • M15
  • Khans of Tarkir
  • Fate Reforged
  • Dragons of Tarkir
  • Magic Origins
  • Battle For Zendikar
  • Oath of the Gatewatch
  • Shadows over Innistrad
  • Eldritch Moon
  • Kaladesh
Sounds like CoCo

Yeah, new format called "Frontier", they probably have a bunch of stock from those sets they want to get rid of.

So we'll be opening 46(!) packs next friday

hope for some good stuff

Do you have any stuff from Prereleases GB?

Like from my standard list

oStFTCz.gif

I've definitely got plains and mountains. Haven't been to a prerelease since BFZ.

bigkrev

Yeah, new format called "Frontier", they probably have a bunch of stock from those sets they want to get rid of.

In theory, if they were ever to do a new modern type format, the starting point would be M15 like this, because its when they introduced the foil stamp on rare cards.

Magic Tournament Rules Release Notes:

Section 6.5 (Vintage Format Deck Construction): All cards that 1) have the type "Conspiracy" and 2) refer to "playing for ante" have been consolidated into a single entry on the list of cards banned in Vintage.

Section 6.6 (Legacy Format Deck Construction): All cards that 1) have the type "Conspiracy" and 2) refer to "playing for ante" have been consolidated into a single entry on the list of cards banned in Vintage.

5aL0KPHnPL4k0.gif

Yeah, but not for like another 5+ years. Modern is still quite young.

To me it's less about the age of Modern and more about the fact that it would be the currently ending Standard plus 4 sets at the moment, which, to be flippant about it, would make it "The format for all the people sad that CoCo is rotating. Now with bonus old friend Siege Rhino!"

Took them long enough. It was extra silly for the Vintage list having them all listed out.

To me it's less about the age of Modern and more about the fact that it would be the currently ending Standard plus 4 sets at the moment, which, to be flippant about it, would make it "The format for all the people sad that CoCo is rotating. Now with bonus old friend Siege Rhino!"
If it's supposed to be an actual format CoCo really needs to be banned considering you have combo coco vs bant coco dueling each other.

Making Magic - Card by Card stories
* Proliferate was in a large chunk of design, since it worked with +1/+1 counters and energy, but they removed it because it pushed +1/+1 counters much more than energy, thus warping the set. It isn't in Kaladesh block at all.
* No surprise, the Gearhulks were added by development.
* Die Young, Harnessed Lightning, and Confiscation Coup form a vertical cycle (common, uncommon, rare).
* Depala was partially made to address the complaints of Boros commanders always being pure aggro. Also, they are intentionally making sure that every set has commanders that play into the set themes.

* Depala was partially made to address the complaints of Boros commanders always being pure aggro. Also, they are intentionally making sure that every set has commanders that play into the set themes.

I fail to see how she addresses that in any way. She only brings CA for creatures most of which being low cost. There's neither combo nor control potential with her.

She doesn't need to attack I guess.

I fail to see how she addresses that in any way. She only brings CA for creatures most of which being low cost. There's neither combo nor control potential with her.

She doesn't need to attack I guess.

Yeah, it's strange. She taps, you get a handful of dwarves and vehicles, you play them. Maybe it's because you have to go slowly due to the ability costing X so you need to balance mana for it and to cast what you get. That and the fact that dwarves almost all have a CMC of at least 2 and quite a lot have 3+ while vehicles also tend to be priced in the moderate CMC range. Also that existing dwarves honestly aren't very good at the whole aggro thing. That's the best guess I have.

Edit:
tl;dr In group commander games you get to stick around because the rest of the table sees you're the poor soul playing dwarves. Then they realize that dwarves have repeatable land destruction and you get helplessly slaughtered because you're stuck trying to defend yourself with dwarves.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That reduces the banlist in Vintage to only 3 cards. Falling Star, Chaos Orb (manual dexterity cards), and Shaharazad, which should be unbanned and instead restricted - the opponent has the option to concede the subgame and just eat the life penalty. Hell, Sensei's Divining Top probably wastes dramatically more time than Shaharazad would since Shaharazad is bad.

That reduces the banlist in Vintage to only 3 cards. Falling Star, Chaos Orb (manual dexterity cards), and Shaharazad, which should be unbanned and instead restricted - the opponent has the option to concede the subgame and just eat the life penalty. Hell, Sensei's Divining Top probably wastes dramatically more time than Shaharazad would since Shaharazad is bad.

Is Shahrazad implemented in MTGO at all? If not then there's a very good chance that it remains banned to spare having to try and code its functionality into MTGO.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is Shahrazad implemented in MTGO at all? If not then there's a very good chance that it remains banned to spare having to try and code its functionality into MTGO.

No, but subgame functionality is probably very easy to do in MTGO.

Unless Shaharazad was a good card, they wouldn't even need to put it into MTGO and it's not gonna need a reprint in paper since its Reserved List.

Angry Grimace

The Judge also told me that Oviya Pashiri's trigger creates an X/X creature token that includes the Construct itself, which did not seem correct.

MrDoctor

a bit impractical, but how's this:

T1
play blisterpod

T2
play cryptolith rite
tap blisterpod for another

T3
tap blisterpod for hedron archive
play another blisterpod and any puzzleknot of your choice

T4
play hedron archive
cast your metalwork colossi for 1 mana each

Fuzzery

Went 3 0 in a prerelease yesterday, got a bw deck with a lot of fab and some fliers, and some flicker/bounce mechanics, also cataclysmic gear hulk and Gondi. Gondi is so good in limited, I hit an enemy's sword of feast and famine, and also a noxious gear hulk for two wins

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218163818]lol Ben Stark bragging about going 12-0 at his prereleases[/QUOTE]
Should ask him if he qualified for Worlds based off it.

Yeef

This was my first Pre-Release since ROE. My sealed pulls were really disappointing, since a couple rare lands, and a couple rares that were garbage for limited (I'm looking at *you*, fateful showdown), and zero mythics. I still managed to put together a B/R beatdown deck that went 3-1 almost solely on its flyers and removal. Those Foundry Screechers are the truth. I had three of them in my deck and poked people out. between Subtle Strike, Tidy Conclusion, Harnessed Lightning, Hijack, and Unlicensed Disintegration, I pulled a lot of tricks.

I also had a bye round and went up against someone who had played magic for maybe a month, but hey. Packs are packs.
Fateful Showdown is actually a fine sealed card, especially since you can go upstairs with it. In a low-curve deck, you just sandbag lands and you get to cycle them for damage.

Should have just been silver border, but yeah, this makes sense.

I realized later on that the most likely reason they're in black border is so they stay updated in Oracle. (And the second-most-likely is so people will feel okay including them in black-border cubes.)

I think a commander deck with her at the helm is gonna wind up in more of a disruptive-midrange territory than most of the Boros commanders suggest.

I agree that there's not that much risk outside dedicated griefers with Shaharazad, but I imagine they don't want to encourage those people even a little bit.

Angry Grimace

I realized later on that the most likely reason they're in black border is so they stay updated in Oracle. (And the second-most-likely is so people will feel okay including them in black-border cubes.)

I think a commander deck with her at the helm is gonna wind up in more of a disruptive-midrange territory than most of the Boros commanders suggest.

I agree that there's not that much risk outside dedicated griefers with Shaharazad, but I imagine they don't want to encourage those people even a little bit.

There's like 1-3 major Vintage tournaments per year (legitimately in different places across the globe) and nobody is gonna show up to those to grief other players and the card presents no actual problem on MTGO, partially because it doesn't exist.

Yeef

I think the reason Conspiracies are black-bordered is likely because they were on the same sheet as the draft-matters cards (in the first Conspiracy) and printing two different borders on the same sheet is probably tricky to do accurately.

The restriction on the types is quite heavy, wish she could get equipments as well, for her to do anything but this guy makes me want to brew with her.
You could probably make a voltron / sniping list with her that way.

There's just not nearly enough even remotely close to playable dwarves and vehicles, I'd guess 15 total at best.

Ozigizo

The Judge also told me that Oviya Pashiri's trigger creates an X/X creature token that includes the Construct itself, which did not seem correct.

Uh, it should count when the ability is resolved, before the construct hits the field. I don't think I'm wrong, unless I missed something.

Edit: release notes say that judge was wrong.

"* The Construct token you’re creating doesn’t count towards X for the ability that creates it."

Angry Grimace

A guy at the prerelease got mad at me for telling him he can't activate Fabrication Module on his end step to trigger Fairgrounds Trumpter. I told him it was fine and that I didn't care if we just said he did it before that, but that its not legal to hold mana up for Fabrication Module and then get 2 counters. He told me "NO IT WORKS."

A guy at the prerelease got mad at me for telling him he can't activate Fabrication Module on his end step to trigger Fairgrounds Trumpter. I told him it was fine and that I didn't care if we just said he did it before that, but that its not legal to hold mana up for Fabrication Module and then get 2 counters. He told me "NO IT WORKS."

I had to look this up since I hadn't remembered that Fairgrounds Trumpeter only gets a counter at the beginning of each end step.
Image.ashx

What is it about MTG that keeps you guys coming back? I like solving puzzles and I'll admit that I get a sick pleasure when people tell me how good my decklists are or I win with a decklist I came up with. I've got a guy from the Italian MTG community testing my lists for me and he's been gushing about a couple of my brews which is really satisfying. He did turn me on to the idea of playing a copy of Nahiri's Wrath in the Gearhulk Explosion deck, which I thought was good tech.

So I'm mostly in it for narcissistic reasons, what about you guys?

PsionBolt

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218190182]What is it about MTG that keeps you guys coming back?[/QUOTE]

For me, it's almost entirely about how beautiful Magic is from a game design perspective.
I love analyzing every aspect of the game, from the rules to the cards, and there's always a new set, new card, new mechanic, or new interaction waiting to be discovered. When I had more free time a couple years back, I think I spent more time making custom cards than actually playing Magic. I try to learn as many TCGs as possible whenever I can because the genre tends to push designers towards unique and interesting play, and of course I play a wide variety of non-card games of all genres as well, but I always come back to Magic at some point or another.

It's astounding that the first TCG is also the greatest to this day.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218190182]What is it about MTG that keeps you guys coming back? I like solving puzzles and I'll admit that I get a sick pleasure when people tell me how good my decklists are or I win with a decklist I came up with. I've got a guy from the Italian MTG community testing my lists for me and he's been gushing about a couple of my brews which is really satisfying. He did turn me on to the idea of playing a copy of Nahiri's Wrath in the Gearhulk Explosion deck, which I thought was good tech.

So I'm mostly in it for narcissistic reasons, what about you guys?[/QUOTE]

I like the art
sometimes

Ashodin

Yes I like hearing how good my decklists are as well, I pride myself on being a good brewer.

Also I enjoy the competition but not as extreme as others do; rather, I enjoy puzzling out how to take down opponents based off their own misplays and identifying what to do and what not to do based on what's going on currently in the game. It's a work in progress on every game.

Also the feeling of getting better with more competitive constructed play makes me feel like I can evaluate cards better by just looking at them. For example, I was able to correctly identify many of Kaladesh cards for their limited/standard viability this time.

I also enjoy the sick pulls you can rip and the lotto aspect of the game.

When my wife and I open our 46 packs on friday that feeling will get satisfied.

My wife enjoys the collector's aspect of the game the most - she loves to sort and collect, so you can often find her sorting cards in my LGS while I'm the one doing battle.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218190182]What is it about MTG that keeps you guys coming back? I like solving puzzles and I'll admit that I get a sick pleasure when people tell me how good my decklists are or I win with a decklist I came up with. I've got a guy from the Italian MTG community testing my lists for me and he's been gushing about a couple of my brews which is really satisfying. He did turn me on to the idea of playing a copy of Nahiri's Wrath in the Gearhulk Explosion deck, which I thought was good tech.

Commander is a fun way to hang out with friends. Used to be every Friday night before I moved, now its a way to hang out when I go back

Limited is a fascinating game to play. Each environment, even the crappy ones, still presents a pretty diverse set of strategies to try out, and I like that its the format that really forces you to evaluate every card in a set. Sometimes that 2 drop you'd never look at in a million years is the only way to fill out your curve, or a spell you'd never think to play swings a game around. Plumbing the depths of a format, or just enjoying how each draft turns out differently, keeps me coming back

I think most of my interest comes from the depth and complexity of the game. All the cards, all the rules, and how they all interact. There's just something to seeing the cards and trying to figure out what kinds of nonsense you can pull with them, along with appreciating the nonsense other people pull. So some deck building, some theory crafting, some playing, some rules lawyering, some figuring out how to best be a jerk in-game, and some observation. Normal constructed of every format, Commander, and Limited all have their charm. So, uh, I guess my answer is "almost everything. Yes, even realizing how many Homelands cards I own"?

Ashodin

With how long I've been in the game there's nostalgia there too as well so, the game has a fond memory at times and recent excitement as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom