• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

Biggest thing over the entirety of my playing history is that Magic is a really great game with interesting decisions. (Though admittedly this isn't true in all matches.) I really enjoy the puzzle of looking at a board state and game situation and figuring out the best move available. I definitely like the competition aspect also, since I get an undeniable joy out of 4-0ing a constructed event or whatever. More recently, the social aspect has kept me in even as I've fallen away from competitive constructed entirely but have a good group of friends who play so they keep me playing with casual drafts or just getting together to jam to proxy decks.

red13th

I play Magic because of cube. Everything about cube is fun: designing the cube, drafting the cube (or building sealed decks) and, obviously, playing, which sadly I haven't done in a while. When you play your carefully built constructed decks there's some variance in how you draw and what you're playing against, but in cube the variance is huge and every game/draft is unique, which is amazing. Finding unexpected interactions on the fly is the best feeling IMO.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just like getting angry when I draw too many or too few lands.

Xis

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218190182]What is it about MTG that keeps you guys coming back? [/QUOTE]

For the collector in me, every year (now six months) there's a new setting, with new a new look and new lore. For the player in me, every year brings new mechanics and a whole new limited environment.

Matriox

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218190182] I like solving puzzles and I'll admit that I get a sick pleasure when people tell me how good my decklists are or I win with a decklist I came up with.[/QUOTE]

I also absolutely love making home brews but they usually arent winners lol. But I will say I am having an unusually hard time coming up with anything original for some reason this rotation around, but I'm in love with your Gearhulk deck. It might be what I play in the mean time as the meta works itself out.

Violet_0

Banned
every time I think about making an EDH deck, I read about some lists online only to be reminded that nearly all the "top tier" decks are either combo decks or decks that shut down the board indefinitely - neither of which is any fun to play against. Why spend money on cards when you're completely chanceless against certain card interactions

Joe Molotov

every time I think about making an EDH deck, I read about some lists online only to be reminded that nearly all the "top tier" decks are either combo decks or decks that shut down the board indefinitely - neither of which is any fun to play against. Why spend money on cards when you're completely chanceless against certain card interactions

I guess just don't play against people that play top tier decks.

Sounds like either you're playing about people who like games to be completely unfun (aka assholes) or people that play competitively in tournaments. Play against other people.

Was today's Life total reduction from 30 to 20 change in Duel Commander discussed at all? Seems like the whole community is in uproar about that.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218190182]What is it about MTG that keeps you guys coming back? I like solving puzzles and I'll admit that I get a sick pleasure when people tell me how good my decklists are or I win with a decklist I came up with. I've got a guy from the Italian MTG community testing my lists for me and he's been gushing about a couple of my brews which is really satisfying. He did turn me on to the idea of playing a copy of Nahiri's Wrath in the Gearhulk Explosion deck, which I thought was good tech.

So I'm mostly in it for narcissistic reasons, what about you guys?[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't get to play much these days but my friends keep me hanging around. I can always talk about Magic with them when we get together. It's what I imagine other people feel like when they are talking about sports, and when I talk about Magic they just roll their eyes and zone out like I do whenever someone brings up football.

Violet_0

Banned
Sounds like either you're playing about people who like games to be completely unfun (aka assholes) or people that play competitively in tournaments. Play against other people.

I don't currently play Commander at all, I played it a bit on MTGO
I'm just wondering about that hypothetical scenario where someone walks in with a netdeck list and creates an infinite loop on turn 4 - but I guess everyone will just stop playing with them in that case. Probably the same with land destruction, which makes everyone leave in MTGO

I enjoy reading about the design of the game and seeing what interesting new things they do with the game, or how they re-contextualize old things. I like seeing how pros work through Standard, when it's not super samey, though I prefer not to be competitive myself. If I still had guys at work to play with, I'd be making all kinds of decks not to be strong but to demonstrate some theme, such as a deck good for beginners.

I also absolutely love making home brews but they usually arent winners lol. But I will say I am having an unusually hard time coming up with anything original for some reason this rotation around, but I'm in love with your Gearhulk deck. It might be what I play in the mean time as the meta works itself out.

If you decide to build it, I definitely recommend swapping one copy of Tormenting Voice for one Nahiri's Wrath. It's a third Radiant Flames that puts the cards you want in your yard that also kills planeswalkers and big creatures. It's not unusual to hit three targets for 10+ damage each. That said, the card has obviously huge diminishing returns so I wouldn't play a bunch.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218190182]What is it about MTG that keeps you guys coming back? I like solving puzzles and I'll admit that I get a sick pleasure when people tell me how good my decklists are or I win with a decklist I came up with. I've got a guy from the Italian MTG community testing my lists for me and he's been gushing about a couple of my brews which is really satisfying. He did turn me on to the idea of playing a copy of Nahiri's Wrath in the Gearhulk Explosion deck, which I thought was good tech.

So I'm mostly in it for narcissistic reasons, what about you guys?[/QUOTE]

I love the game. I hate how much money it costs. For a while I ignored how much it was costing me to play, but one day a couple of years ago I sat down and realized how much money I had tied up in virtual cards (I was playing a lot of MTGO), so I sold my entire collection (over a thousand dollars), bought my wife something nice, bought a Peasant cube, and stuck to drafting at the local store once a week. I still loved the game, but I saw competitive play as a fruitless venture - negative EV no matter which way you slice it. So I kept it up for social reasons - spending a day splitting a case of beer and drafting is still a fantastic time.

But then I moved. I haven't found a playgroup since. I keep up with the game, and I watch the PTs because they're fun to watch. I play cube drafts on MTGO and I use the Beta to scratch the itch for free. But I'm basically out of the game at this point.

jph139

I play Magic mostly for the variance. I mostly play limited and EDH - I like taking a bunch of weird cards, mixing them all together, and seeing what happens. Weird combinations and interactions. Using cards that seem shitty but, in this weird little moment, come together to actually do something cool. It's why I don't really see the appeal of constructed formats, personally.

Also they've got some nice worldbuilding and a cool universe, so, yeah.

Was today's Life total reduction from 30 to 20 change in Duel Commander discussed at all? Seems like the whole community is in uproar about that.
No one plays duel commander
Commander has to be played face to face or at least mouth to mouth. I can imagine few things less fun than playing with random strangers on MODO.

Commander has to be played face to face or at least mouth to mouth. I can imagine few things less fun than playing with random strangers on MODO.

I do. That's pretty insane too. And pretty awesome for my Commander, Prossh. lol
Some of my alternate wincons involves the Kobolds themselves.

I also play on MODO.

This is a fun article, the Vorthos Banned and Restricted List update. Basically, it goes through what older stories have been contradicted by the past few stories. I heard Test of Metal was bad, but I wasn't aware of how absolutely bonkers it is, from the description in the article.

OnPoint

Damn. Smuggler's Copter keeps going up. 8-9 isn't sustainable for a nonmythic rare in a set with masterpieces, is it?

Man we're JUST outside of prerelease. Give the set a month or two to come out and be out before wondering. There will literally always be more of these on the market after Friday than there are right now.

OnPoint

Slowly tweaking up my Polymorph Tokens deck. I wanna take it to a local Modern event soon for giggles. In terms of Cage vs Relic vs Leyline of the Void, what mix do you think I should run? Cage shuts off Polymorph, no? So that's probably a no-no. Should I just run three Relics, or should I put in some Leylines as well?

Bant superfriends is a deck you're not allowed to tarnish by mentioning Kiora in the same conversation.

That deck played Jace the Mindsculptor, Elspeth Knight-Errant, Lotus Cobra and Eldrazi Conscription.

Ozigizo

I do. That's pretty insane too. And pretty awesome for my Commander, Prossh. lol
Some of my alternate wincons involves the Kobolds themselves.

I also play on MODO.

I actually just built a deck that continously casts Timetwister in paper format. Leovold is hilarious.

duxstar

smugglers copter is legit. as i put it the other day its a better easier to cast mantis rider that goes into every color deck.

As to the person who wanted a white spell that hits emrakul and vehicles, Stasis Snare is your friend.

as for GBs question on why i play this game. the other night in One pre release, i faced Terrential gearhulk in 9 games and multiple Chandras and didnt lose a match. at my third prelease i had to beat a guy with the 6/6 flying bouncer guy without having a single card that could answer it (was playing a g/w deck with NO removal). Multiple times ive won games and beaten people that had better decks and better cards than me, making awesome plays that win you the game that 90% of other magic players would miss just feels amazing. Being the most feared magic player in the room is kind of fun too =P

i gave up on brewing decks for standard, i dont have the time or the energy to tweak a deck to perfection like guys at the pro tour do. Your never going to compete with guys who get paid to play magic 24/7 with groups of the other best players in the world. So i just brew my gw decks and play them on cockatrice lol.

I've been getting excited for Lantern again with the additions from Kaladesh. I've been wanting to cut a color out of the deck for a while and I think I'm getting pretty close to a list I like.

kjhlkjr7suq.png

The new fastlands are great for Lantern, and Inventor's Fair is awesome. It finds Thopter Foundry and Ensnaring Bridge, gains life, slices, dices and is in general just great. Collective Brutality is another relatively new addition that does a lot of things the deck wants. It gets info and slows down aggressive decks while helping you get hellbent. With the Thopter Foundry combo and Inventor's Fair I think you can cut the painlands and the Sun Droplets and just play more fastlands to make the deck less painful.

infantofatocha asked: I think one of the big obstacles potentially stopping dwarves from being white's characteristic race is that I don't think anybody associates dwarves with plains.

MaRo: Do people associate Vampires with Swamps?

False equivalence right there.

I pulled a Static Orb, therefor my story theory is true: The Aetherborn started appearing because of Phyrexian Oil. They are the Mycosynth of Kaladesh. Aether Revolt refers to them going full on against the rest of Kaladesh when Phyrexians show up.

Firemind

i play edh storm

nah duel commander is more fun because of the banlist

Violet_0

Banned
I pulled a Static Orb, therefor my story theory is true: The Aetherborn started appearing because of Phyrexian Oil. They are the Mycosynth of Kaladesh. Aether Revolt refers to them going full on against the rest of Kaladesh when Phyrexians show up.

I like this idea, unexpected and pretty cool. Too bad it's just going to be the Power Rangers versus Tezzeret

I like this idea, unexpected and pretty cool. Too bad it's just going to be the Power Rangers versus Tezzeret

I kinda fully expect any potential Phyrexian Invasion to be quelled. It probably gets written off as an expeditionary force showing up to steal technology or something.

Remember y'all, the Phyrexian MO is to sneak in and weaken first, then attack.

ElyrionX

You may not need those decks if your local meta is not cutthroat. In my experience, high-end cutthroat EDH is not commonly seen because people just can't afford the cards.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nah, poorly phrased question that technically allows Maro such an answer. It would have been better to point out that dwarves (in fiction) are very clearly linked to mountains.
He could just say "our dwarves are different."

Dunno why that isn't a good answer anyways. I'm guessing white Dwarves will be a popular decision anyways.

I'm building Eldrazi for different formats, and I was trying to check out some videos to see how it does in Legacy.

The videos where BBD is playing it for CFB makes the deck look pretty bad lol. Not that he plays bad, it just seems a little under powered for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom