• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218190182]So I'm mostly in it for narcissistic reasons, what about you guys?[/QUOTE]

I'm sexually aroused by combo decks.

Wait? So, Chandra isn't the second coming of JTMS after all?

I've been lied to!

JTMS might not have been particularly great either. I tried Jacethefixedscultpor and he was more of a liability against emrakul and did nothing against aggro.

Imagine this. JTMS 0 draw evolving wilds put best cards from hand on top crack evolving wilds fail to find.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Chandra is super good against midrange and control decks, I just don't know how good they are going to be against all the aggro and unfair decks.

Chandra might as well be a blank card against Marvel decks and she's probably too slow for most aggro decks. I think a GR Midrange deck is where she'll slot in, or maybe an attrition-y Jund deck. The weird part is that when I played GR Midrange a little on beta, Arlinn Kord was often just generally better.

Chandra's issue is that she's just a little bit unfocused. She has 4 (essentially 5) abilities that are all good, but they sometimes feel a little unfocused in practice and Planeswalkers feel weaker in this format for whatever reason.

El Topo

In all honesty, I feel people were losing their mind because Chandra has four abilities at 4CMC and drew inappropriate comparisons to JTMS, instead of actually looking at the abilities and wondering where she might fit in. The card isn't bad by any means, but...the combination of abilities isn't exactly mindblowing, unlike JTMS, which had Brainstorm as an ability and very cheap bounce. Maybe if Burn was a thing. Would love to see a deck make Chandra and Reveler somehow work.

I want this lightning strike variant in Aether Revolt, not sure if it works with the rules.

1R
Instant

Deal 3 damage to target permanent if it's a vehicle it becomes crewed.

Chandra might as well be a blank card against Marvel decks and she's probably too slow for most aggro decks. I think a GR Midrange deck is where she'll slot in, or maybe an attrition-y Jund deck. The weird part is that when I played GR Midrange a little on beta, Arlinn Kord was often just generally better.

Chandra's issue is that she's just a little bit unfocused. She has 4 (essentially 5) abilities that are all good, but they sometimes feel a little unfocused in practice and Planeswalkers feel weaker in this format for whatever reason.

Yeah that's where I'm at too. It's just difficult to get immediate value out of her and she can't hit vehicles with her minus to protect herself either.
She's the strongest if you can use her ramp or is opposing PWs.
I could see it. If it were it'd probably sway the meta incredibly into control though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is Saheeli low or properly valued at about $14?
High.

Even as a 3 mana Planeswalker she doesn't protect herself or affect the board other than her existence.

When it comes down to looking for value in Planeswalkers I liked picking up Arlinn for $7. Green and Red are a strong color combination and Arlinn can play both aggressively and midrange with face burn to boot.

OnPoint

High.

Even as a 3 mana Planeswalker she doesn't protect herself or affect the board other than her existence.

When it comes down to looking for value in Planeswalkers I liked picking up Arlinn for $7. Green and Red are a strong color combination and Arlinn can play both aggressively and midrange with face burn to boot.

Hm. Arlinn you say. How about Dovin at $10?

Dovin would have been playable if his +1 was non-keyworded Detain instead of whatever the hell it is now. Turning off an Opponent's creature beats the -3/-0 and "No activated abilities".

I'm just wondering about that hypothetical scenario where someone walks in with a netdeck list and creates an infinite loop on turn 4 - but I guess everyone will just stop playing with them in that case. Probably the same with land destruction, which makes everyone leave in MTGO

Ridiculous autowin decks in Commander are kind of like the Prisoner's Dilemma -- if you're playing once, someone can bring one in and wreck everything, but if the same group plays multiple times they're quickly selected against, lol.

Typically the actual problems come in one of two forms: cards that aren't autowin-broken but do have an unreasonable level of dominance so there's some question about how much to disincentivize them, and stuff that does autowin but only late in the game (like Biorhythm) so people just feel unhappy when they go off.

This is a fun article, the Vorthos Banned and Restricted List update. Basically, it goes through what older stories have been contradicted by the past few stories. I heard Test of Metal was bad, but I wasn't aware of how absolutely bonkers it is, from the description in the article.

Cary's good people, they've been wagering on set contents based on storyline factors on Twitter for a while now -- like, this last set, it was a random Twitter follower getting a free Scalding Tarn unless Padeem, Rashmi, and Pia all had legends in this set.

Nah, poorly phrased question that technically allows Maro such an answer. It would have been better to point out that dwarves (in fiction) are very clearly linked to mountains.

Yeah, I think the issue is much less "Dwarves aren't associated with plains" (which is fine) and more "Dwarves are heavily associated with mountains" (which feels weird.) I'm still pro-white-dwarves regardless, but this is definitely the big oddity of doing that.

I want this lightning strike variant in Aether Revolt, not sure if it works with the rules.

I think how they'd do this is "Choose one: deal 3 damage to target creature, or target Vehicle becomes a creature, then deal 4 damage to it." (They would definitely make this one of those selective damage number cards if they printed it.)

I think how they'd do this is "Choose one: deal 3 damage to target creature, or target Vehicle becomes a creature, then deal 4 damage to it." (They would definitely make this one of those selective damage number cards if they printed it.)

I want it to be able to hit PWs. There's not enough good answers to PWs in colours not black.

Does dealing damage to permanents work? Looking up the rules real quick, it does not. Kinda dislike that, if damage can be on a noncreature permanent why can't damage be dealt to one?

If red gets a way to deal with vehicles specifically in Aether Revolt, I have to imagine it would just be along the lines of:

Choose one--
* Deal 2 damage to target creature or player.
* Destroy target Vehicle.

Angry Grimace

Dovin would have been playable if his +1 was non-keyworded Detain instead of whatever the hell it is now. Turning off an Opponent's creature beats the -3/-0 and "No activated abilities".

Dovin is a bad version of Jace, Architect of Thought.

Why did no one post this? I need one now.

en_PRr3fwqLkI.png
Hopefully it's in the Hanna price range fo judge promos.

ultron87

Since it didn't get banned I'm building the Peregrine Drake deck for Pauper now cause I'm terrible. Part of the reason is that that deck apparently completely murdered the deck I run right now (Kuldotha Jeskai). But I'm terrible because I just play with my friends, and even though we net deck, it's not like anyone is running Drake right now anyway, so Jeskai is still totally viable.

Oh well. If/when it gets banned it's not like I'll be out much. It'll probably get banned. It is basically Splinter Twin.

G.ZZZ

Today in tales from the legacy format, the latest hot deck: Sneaky Fit

2WQEEe1.png

The ability to accellerate into T2 sneak attacks with explorer and also be able to cast all of the fatties you want to sneak anyway thanks to the amount of mana you can generate is amazing. Also most of the creatures, even if lower cost, still have a really good effect off sneak attack, explorer give you 2 lands, sidisi and empath are a demonic tutor for your emrakul/grizzly, inferno titan is 6 damage divided as you choose plus a 6/6 attack, Thragtusk gain 5 life and attack as a 5/3 while leaving a 3/3 behind, and witness is a regrowth. The tracker is the only card that isn't consistently good, but is still played because of the consistent card advantage she can provide and the cute tricks with gargadon.

Credit to Arianhod (and who know else) on the source.

Joe Molotov

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218320550]Why would red need a way to deal with vehicles specifically? They already have destroy artifact and instant-speed creature damage.[/QUOTE]

If the spell name was Flat Tire, it would make it all worth it.

messiaen

I was really into Magic back when it first started and kept with it till around 1999 or so. Around Urza's Saga-era. What's changed? A lot I imagine. Is this game even remotely similar to what it used to be?

I've been thinking about getting back into it as a hobby. But the prospect of it being drastically different and all of my old cards being shitty has made me cautious. Thanks MagicGAF.

Hero

I could see a red card that lets you put a vehicle onto the battlefield and it becomes a creature until end of turn and then it has the sacrifice trigger on it, or return to hand.

Ashodin

The game's still generally the way you imagine it to be, with a few caveats:

• There are a lot of rules changes about mana burn, instants, etc
  • There are planeswalker cards
  • There are mythic rares (higher rarity)
  • Colorless now has its own symbol

Just to name a few.

I was really into Magic back when it first started and kept with it till around 1999 or so. Around Urza's Saga-era. What's changed? A lot I imagine. Is this game even remotely similar to what it used to be?

I've been thinking about getting back into it as a hobby. But the prospect of it being drastically different and all of my old cards being shitty has made me cautious. Thanks MagicGAF.

All things considered, it isn't that different. The big changes are on the more arcane side, regarding rules involving timing and such. You dropped out right around where the Sixth Edition rule changes happened. If you dropped out before that, you actually have a bit less to learn, since they later took back a lot of the rules that Sixth Edition changed, and you just have to learn some terminology changes.

* There are no more interrupts. They are all instants now.
* Creatures and other permanents are on the battlefield.
* You cast spells and activate ability. You still play lands, and "play" is a general term that also covers casting spells.
* "Enchant creature" and other "enchant" types are now "Enchantment - Aura", with what it enchants in the text box.
* Creatures die when they are killed. EDIT: Just realized that this joke could have been misinterpreted. "Kill" is not a game term, creatures are still destroyed.
* Mana burn isn't a thing anymore.
* EDIT: If something is removed from the game, it's now exiled.

And other minor things like that. If you left after Sixth Edition, then damage no longer goes on the stack.

I recommend downloading and playing Magic Duels for Steam or mobile devices, or some game consoles. It's free and a good way to learn the rules.

As for your old cards, you can use them all you want for casual play, but for sanctioned tournament formats, it's likely that most of them will only be playable in Legacy or Vintage (what you may know as Type-1), which is likely more hardcore than you want. The cheapest tournament format is Standard (what you may know as Type-2), and the new set will officially join it and cause a rotation this Saturday.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218339885]Why is vehicles even a distinction? If burn can hit it it's because it's a creature already. Harnessed Lightning can kill vehicles.[/QUOTE]

Well, you're right. Kinda redundant thinking about it, guess I liked the idea more than the practicality.

jph139

I like the idea of a burn spell that can turn a vehicle into a creature, if only because it has the funky utility of turning on your own vehicle at the sacrifice of dealing it some damage. Like you're hotwiring it or something.

messiaen

All things considered, it isn't that different. The big changes are on the more arcane side, regarding rules involving timing and such. You dropped out right around where the Sixth Edition rule changes happened. If you dropped out before that, you actually have a bit less to learn, since they later took back a lot of the rules that Sixth Edition changed, and you just have to learn some terminology changes.

* There are no more interrupts. They are all instants now.
* Creatures and other permanents are on the battlefield.
* You cast spells and activate ability. You still play lands, and "play" is a general term that also covers casting spells.
* "Enchant creature" and other "enchant" types are now "Enchantment - Aura", with what it enchants in the text box.
* Creatures die when they are killed.
* Mana burn isn't a thing anymore.

And other minor things like that. If you left after Sixth Edition, then damage no longer goes on the stack.

I recommend downloading and playing Magic Duels for Steam or mobile devices, or some game consoles. It's free and a good way to learn the rules.

As for your old cards, you can use them all you want for casual play, but for sanctioned tournament formats, it's likely that most of them will only be playable in Legacy or Vintage (what you may know as Type-1), which is likely more hardcore than you want. The cheapest tournament format is Standard (what you may know as Type-2), and the new set will officially join it and cause a rotation this Saturday.
In all honesty, I probably didn't learn much about sixth. I only bought a few packs of Urza's Saga before I kind of drifted apart from Magic. Moving to a new school and whatnot I think is what caused me to stop. Looking up the dates I guess that would put me more in late '98. (Jezz, has it been 18 years...)

This doesn't seem all that bad, though. I guess it's a little disappointing that I can't bust out my classic Sliver desks! But I digress. Little sad about the introduction of more rarity too. I like playing more than I liked collecting any day of the week...

Thanks for the rundown, fam! I'll check out the video game for sure to see if it's still up my alley. Next I have to search for a Magic place in LA!

Edit: I looked up Mana burn, I don't think my group ever followed that rule! Didn't even know it was a thing! Haha.

messiaen

Let me tell you about this format called Commander...

Wow. This seems pretty cool! Sliver Queen would mess shit up, I imagine!

This sort of reminds me of these special big, odd cards I got as a part of some box-set back in the day. Every player drew one at the start of the game and it gave each player a modifier. "All creatures have +1/+1, Player starts with +15 life, etc. etc"

Those probably got lost along the way. If I find them, I can take pictures.

WotC said:
You then choose cards to match your Commander’s color identity to build your deck
Does this mean you can only choose one of the colors or they all apply?

Ashodin

Wow. This seems pretty cool! Sliver Queen would mess shit up, I imagine!

This sort of reminds me of these special big, odd cards I got as a part of some box-set back in the day. Every player drew one at the start of the game and it gave each player a modifier. "All creatures have +1/+1, Player starts with +15 life, etc. etc"

Those probably got lost along the way. If I find them, I can take pictures.

Does this mean you can only choose one of the colors or they all apply?

Vanguard? Yeah that's a neat format too. There's another one that's very similar called Planechase.

With regards to the color identity, you have to choose cards that fit the color identity specifically. Let me give you a card for an example:

33.jpg

Ertai is your commander, which means you can only run any of the following:

• Blue cards
  • Artifact (colorless) cards

If a card has any other mana symbol other than U in its text box, you can't use it (including lands).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom