• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

messiaen

Vanguard? Yeah that's a neat format too. There's another one that's very similar called Planechase.

With regards to the color identity, you have to choose cards that fit the color identity specifically. Let me give you a card for an example:

http://magiccards.info/scans/en/ex/33.jpg

Ertai is your commander, which means you can only run any of the following:

• Blue cards
  • Artifact (colorless) cards

If a card has any other mana symbol other than U in its text box, you can't use it (including lands).
Yes! Wow... I still have that first series box set, it's what I kept all of my common and land cards in all these years.

Ohh! I understand now. So the multi-colored creatures aren't allowed in this format. Well, that's fun still. Quite a cool concept.

To add on one minor thing about Ashodin's Colour Identity statement, this means that Alisha, Who Smiles at Death
95315_200w.jpg

Is a Red/White/Black Commander, despite only having Red in the casting cost because her triggered ability when she attacks.

Ozigizo

To add on one minor thing about Ashodin's Colour Identity statement, this means that Alisha, Who Smiles at Death
95315_200w.jpg

Is a Red/White/Black Commander, despite only having Red in the casting cost because her triggered ability when she attacks.

The only place where that isn't the case is reminder text like extort.

Edit: Actually, I think it's literally just extort.

Getting back to white dwarves. I wonder when people say they are white because they value order and have strong familial bonds why is that inherently white? Wouldn't it be white to enforce / spread their order contrary to dwarves that are usually reclusive and exclusive with either. Dwarves usually only care about their own and seldom for the greater good.
Familial bonds are inherent to all tribes also, barring tribes w/o families. We've just had Innistrad again where vampires are literally identified by their family. Goblins on Lorwyn have a big focus on femininity in their hierarchy. Werewolves speak for themselves.

Lorwyn elves are a good example when they were GB they were exclusive, they preserved their order at all costs. When it became night they became inclusive and G/W and they tried preserving more than themselves. I guess Kithkin are the antithesis to that being both inclusive and reclusive and remaining in white.

ElyrionX

Depends on your definition of "regular.' Vindicate in Eternal Masters used a Judge promo art, for example.

Yeah that'd count. I don't care for foils but I do like the art of some of these judge foils and would prefer if there's some way to get a cheaper non-foil version.

Wulfric

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218190182]What is it about MTG that keeps you guys coming back? I like solving puzzles and I'll admit that I get a sick pleasure when people tell me how good my decklists are or I win with a decklist I came up with.[/QUOTE]

For me it's the competitive aspect. I love going to PPTQs and seeing familiar faces vying for the same prize. There's a certain rush when you're playing with a good friend and neither of you are willing to ease up in a game of modern.

I also really enjoy the artwork. It's hard to make out details on the cards, but there a lot of awesome paintings in this game. The only gaming company I can think of that pays that much attention to artwork is Blizzard.

Hanna, Ship's Navigator is still my favorite Judge promo. So pretty. :3

Ashodin

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218365955]Drafting KLD right now and these are my first three picks:

kjhlkjass3k.png

I have no idea what's going to happen.[/QUOTE]

0-3

I've been thinking about getting back into it as a hobby. But the prospect of it being drastically different and all of my old cards being shitty has made me cautious. Thanks MagicGAF.

If you were playing until Urza's Saga and still have your old cards you could (depending on what you have) be in for quite a payday.

Wow. Those judge promos look good. Has Wizards ever reprinted cards in regular sets with judge promo art?

Yes, Show and Tell is the most recent example.

Ohh! I understand now. So the multi-colored creatures aren't allowed in this format.

They are, they're just determined by your Commander. Like, if your deck's Commander is this:

128.png

Then you can play artifacts, green cards, green/white cards, etc., just not any cards that cost black or red mana.

If Commander's the kind of thing that interests you, they make a new set of prebuilt decks for the format each November, those are a great way to get started.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Do you think it's better to sell a Mox Opal now or sit on it, considering the Zendikar Expeditions have depreciated in the past year.

Magic Story - Bottled
* Chandra, Nissa, and Oviya leave the party in the previous story. Chandra says she'll kill Baral; Nissa has only seen Chandra direct her wrath at Eldrazi, so her doing so at a person somewhat unnerves her.
* They're going off to Gonti's Night Market (Gonti themselves don't appear). The Dhund prison is rumored to be hidden there.
* In transit, Nissa wonders why she's staying with the Gatewatch. They've been doing important work, but she is able to effortlessly connect with Ashaya and other nature elementals. She can do the same with the others during battle, but face to face, it's much harder.
* In the Night Market, after having paid attention to how everything is built and flows in response to the streams of aether, Nissa notices an oddity in the flow. She suspects that this will lead them to the prison.
* Oviya refers to Nissa as "your [Chandra's] friend", which gives Nissa an anime reaction. Though in this case, Nissa doesn't consider Chandra a friend due to how hard it is to interact with her.
* They find an entrance, and Chandra melts it down. A guard who presumably didn't see this act attacks them alongside an automaton, they beat them up.
* Chandra hugs Nissa, and surprisingly, there isn't really any anime reaction.
* In the actual tunnels, Nissa can no longer help, since she can't use the aether to find Chandra's mother. As they rush through, Nissa tells Chandra to calm down, and Chandra tells Nissa she doesn't even have a mother, so she wouldn't understand. Chandra apologizes, and after Nissa talks about it (incidentally revealing that her own mother isn't actually confirmed dead), she hugs her again.
* The guards in the tunnel aren't very good, with Oviya easily distracting them with small constructs. Nissa thinks this is odd, but Oviya and Chandra have low opinions of the Consulate.
* They come across an illusionary wall. Through it, the tunnel system changes to something much more office-like.
* They're surrounded by guards and Baral activates the Deadlock Trap. It's an airtight case, so Chandra will just exhaust her air if she tries to burn her way out. The case is laced with counterspell magic, along with the ground. Plus, poison gas is being pumped in.
* Nissa can't draw in mana from outside the case, but she can channel what's there into Chandra. Chandra concentrates her fire into a small but intense flame to burn through, but it doesn't work.
* Chandra tells Nissa to planeswalk away. Chandra intends to stay there with Oviya. Oviya insists they both go, but Nissa instead decides to stay with them.
* And they all died, the end.

bigkrev

Here is a story that is being covered as a Comic Book story but also applies to Magic

http://eurekabooksellers.com/your-signed-books-and-artwork-just-got-harder-to-sell-in-california/

In California, if you are selling a signed item that is valued at higher than $5, you are required to have a certificate of authenticity for that item on-hand for 7 years

1.Describe the collectible and specify the name of the personality who autographed it.

2.Either specify the purchase price and date of sale or be accompanied by a separate invoice setting forth that information.

3.Indicate whether the item was autographed in the presence of the dealer and specify the date and location of, and the name of a witness to, the autograph signing.

4. Indicate whether the item was obtained or purchased from a third party. If so, indicate the name and address of this third party.

This will apply to signed Magic Cards, and will make it so that any major store in California (Channelfireball being the biggest one) functionally cannot buy or sell signed cards.

This will apply to signed Magic Cards, and will make it so that any major store in California (Channelfireball being the biggest one) functionally cannot buy or sell signed cards.

They could still buy and sell them as "heavily played" cards, right? Just not as "signed" cards?"

Ashodin

The subtext in this story has become overt, bail out bail out!!!

Nah we cool. I just think it's become too much of a focus. As always, relationships are very boring in fantasy to me because writers make it feel forced.

Other thoughts:

Chandra:
tumblr_nzsmheDphz1qflo5io1_500.gif

(bonus Nissa as First Order guy)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Low. Every 3 drop planeswalker has seen play in constructed and she will be no exception. Copying gearhulks, smugglers copters and other value creatures will be a thing.

I just don't know. She barely affects the board beyond being a permanent with 4 loyalty counters.

OnPoint

I remember TIbalt seeing play week 1 of AVR standardd on SCG's coverage and never again.

Low. Every 3 drop planeswalker has seen play in constructed and she will be no exception. Copying gearhulks, smugglers copters and other value creatures will be a thing.

Ajani, Caller of the Pride comes to mind as one who didn't really at all. But you are right otherwise. I think she's good. If she hits 10 I'm diving in on 4.

Ashodin

Chandra hype is just too much. Even if Pros don't play her she still sees unjust comparisons to JTMS and will likely remain so because she has four abilities and 2RR as a mana cost.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I remember TIbalt seeing play week 1 of AVR standardd on SCG's coverage and never again.

Ajani, Caller of the Pride comes to mind as one who didn't really at all. But you are right otherwise. I think she's good. If she hits 10 I'm diving in on 4.

Ajani, Caller of the Pride was a good aggro card that saw some play.

Chandra hype is just too much. Even if Pros don't play her she still sees unjust comparisons to JTMS and will likely remain so because she has four abilities and 2RR as a mana cost.

If they wanted Chandra to be good they shouldn't have printed Verdurous Gearhulk.

Angry Grimace

an 8/8 trample for 5 is a bit much isn't it

An 8/8 Trample for 5 would be overpowered if Verdurous Gearhulk was an 8/8 with trample for 5.

Putting 4 counters on your guys is *way* better than an 8/8. It's ridiculously over-rate.

Ashodin

An 8/8 Trample for 5 would be overpowered if Verdurous Gearhulk was an 8/8 with trample for 5.

Putting 4 counters on your guys is *way* better than an 8/8. It's ridiculously over-rate.

Ah so you're saying that spreading around the counters to make things that are a 2/2 or 4/4 into a 4/4 and a 6/6 is pretty broken

I liked Marshall's response to Verdurous Gearhulk in the LR set review. "I guess WotC doesn't care about the cost of power and toughness anymore, do they?"

Ashodin

Time to make a lifegain deck for Friday's EDH

Ayli is the commander bros

I need Kambal and Aetherflux Reservoir for the shenanigans

can you give a vehicle haste if its not crewed?

like if i hijack a vehicle, can i crew + attack that turn?

Unless specifically stated otherwise in text, a creature is normally the only thing that is given haste. Hijack states that either the creature or artifact is given haste (a usual moot point to artifacts).

If you hijack a vehicle, you can crew and attack that turn.

Aight this is my jam right now in testing.

Resisting every janky urge to splash for fevered visions tho

cFkQoMk.png

also i think flamelash > chandra, dunno tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom