• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 6 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

GhaleonEB

#4: Beneath | via Netflix streaming

A coal miner is celebrating his retirement with fellow miners and his daughter, who is leaving soon for law school, a privilege earned by his father's decades under the ground. A somewhat tipsy barroom discussion leads to her agreeing to head into the mine for one day, to finally see what her dad's been doing to help her build her dreams. It does not go well.

It goes without saying that there's a mine collapse, and during said collapse a passage opens deep in the mine. Help is days away, oxygen is running low, and boy that narrow gap in the wall sure does go in pretty deep. I wonder if there's anything in there, waiting to come out.

Predictable setup, right? Well, no. The film has several tricks up its sleeve, and not of the "OMG what a twist" variety. To even hint would be to spoil, so I'll instead talk about how the film goes about what it is about: with patience.

The story is told through the daughter's vantage point, and it leverages her unfamiliarity with being underground to create an unease that hums in the background the moment she steps into the mine. There's a very long shot as she follows the workers down the stairs into darkness, each step echoing, each step causing daylight to fade behind. And she keeps going, and going, and going, broken only by a longing look back at daylight, knowing it would be her last for a while. It's a masterful way to build discomfort, a feeling of leaving the familiar.

The director builds on this unease by holding takes just a little longer than usual. Characters end conversations and step out of frame, leaving the scene in near darkness for a few seconds; just long enough so we can study the shadows for shapes familiar and strange. The camera lingers peering at a corner, but not around it. Looking toward a passageway, but not into it. Listening to footsteps, of which there might be one or two too many.

As oxygen slowly leaves the cave and fear and desperation rise among the survivors, darkness subtly creeps in along with the panic. As lamps fade, glow sticks provide just enough light to see characters in the darkness, but little else; they might reach out to find a rock wall, and we can barely see their hand find it, while we (and they) hope a rock wall is all they find in the dark. There are long moments in the film where the lights go out, and rather than turn on the night vision so we can see what is happening to the characters, the lights actually go out: Absolute, pitch darkness for long, uncomfortable moments, where all we can do is listen as characters try to find their way. They are harrowing moments.

This is a very good film. Not perfect, as there are moments when characters made bad decisions for reasons of plotting, and there is a jump scare or two too many, disrupting the otherwise steadily mounting tension. There are a few too many characters to establish given the slim, fat-free running time (90 minutes). But overall this was a thriller with strong horror elements and a willingness to let its story unfold slowly, confident that sometimes tension does not need diffusing for a very long time.

Highly recommended and my first actual good film of the marathon.

Recap so far, with asterisks (let's pretend they are pumpkins) on a 1-5 scale.

Code:
Date	        Movie	     Grade
10/1/2016	Stung	     **
10/2/2016	Animal	     **
10/3/2016	The Hallow   *
10/4/2016	Beneath	     ****

I did another double feature last night, even though I kind of cheated and finished the second movie today. I figured this would give me a little bit of a buffer if I don't have time later.

So, last night's theme: Drugs That Give You Psychic Powers, or alternately, People With Psychic Powers Imprisoned in Experimental Facilities

First up:

The Mind's Eye

Summary: People with psychokinetic powers are taken to a research institute that specializes in studying their abilities. Of course, the institute is actually exploitative and evil, so they escape. They're then hunted down by employees of the institute and the head of the organization himself, who has been working on a serum (derived from the spinal fluid of telekinetic subjects) that can give him powers of his own.

It's also a deliberate 80s throwback, from the soundtrack to the acting and directing style to the gore effects.

Thoughts: I really, seriously did not like this movie.

I know some other people in this thread were really big on it, but I honestly almost quit after about twenty minutes. I was just thoroughly bored by the whole thing.

It's possible to do deliberate throwbacks/homages well. House of the Devil managed, and It Follows is definitely tapping into some of that also. The thing is, those are also good films in addition to being homages.

The Mind's Eye is not. I'm sure if the flaws are deliberate (in an attempt to ape the movies it's referencing), but the directing is pedestrian and amateurish. The writing falls somewhere between "Steven Seagal straight-to-video sequel" and "90s late night Cinemax". The acting is stiff and unconvincing. I did not care about a single character in the film or anything that was happening.

The film has maybe two things going for it: the soundtrack (which effectively, if heavy-handedly, evokes that 80s B-movie feel) and the over-the-top gore effects. Someone stabbed with a syringe fountains blood like they escaped from a Lucio Fulci movie.

Unfortunately, gore effects and a decent soundtrack won't save a fundamentally boring movie. Maybe the highlight of the film is a brief cameo from Larry Fessenden, but honestly, he deserves better. I'm sure the film was a labor of love and made with tons of enthusiasm, but that enthusiasm doesn't really show through in anything except for the geysers of blood and exploding heads.

Next up:

Tell Me How I Die

TellMeeHow-400x600.jpg

Summary - A pharmaceutical company is carrying out clinical trials on a drug that's supposed to dramatically enhance human memory. The subjects (all roughly college-aged) are required to stay in the facility for the duration of the study, after which they'll be paid a few thousand dollars for their time. Not a bad gig, really.

The problem is that the drug has one unmentioned side effect: it grants some of those dosed with it limited precognition. Even that might not be a big deal...until one of the participants starts having precognitive flashes of everyone else dying.

Thoughts - This was...mostly pretty solid. It's a little bit Final Destination, a little bit Zero Escape franchise. It's basically a slasher movie at heart, but it has the slight twist that the characters know how they're supposed to die and are actively trying to avoid it (while figuring out, of course, who the hell is killing everyone in the first place). The characters aren't anything exceptional (though I do like the somewhat po-faced doctor played by William Mapother, who I liked in The Atticus Institute), but they do the job. There's not a lot of actual, I dunno, suspense or tension, but I've certainly seen worse films using the slasher formula.

The one big sticking point for me is the ending, which is just...incredibly weak. There's a very clever sequence just prior to the ending which seems designed to toy with your expectations, but it's followed by an unsatisfying, rushed conclusion that fails to pay off at least one plot thread that the film had just taken the time to set up. It's not enough to ruin the movie, but it did feel like a serious anticlimax.

It's not gonna make anyone's top 10 lists, but it's...y'know. Competent.

Steamlord

#08 - Candyman [1992]

kytRsKlm.jpg

I guess I had written this off as a schlocky slasher, as the 90s were generally not the best decade for horror, but I was definitely wrong. It's not perfect, but it's got a great villain, a great setting, and a great score. Very enjoyable.

#09 - The House That Screamed (La residencia) [1969]

eTiIQTEm.jpg

Torture, murder, and voyeurism in an austere all-girls boarding school, with a delightful twist ending. What's not to love? The bleak boarding school atmosphere is great - sort of Bava-style gothic but less colorful. Granted, it seems like a couple of important scenes were cut even though I watched a cobbled together version of the full 105 minute film, but it didn't harm the film too much. I recommend watching the uncut 105 minute version if you can, as it brings back some lesbian and incestuous overtones that were cut from most releases. Overall I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, so if you've run out of Bava movies and want something similar I recommend it.

And I just noticed it's by the same director as Who Can Kill a Child?, which I've heard good things about, so I'll have to check that one out too.

Letterboxd list

OP

---

Film #9 - 28 Days Later (2002) - trailer

Not sure where to begin. This is absolutely one of my all time favorites. Everything about this just works together incredibly well for me. I know opinions are subjective and everything but it makes me a bit sad to see others don't enjoy this as much.

It's very rare for a film of any kind to have so many characters (Jim, Helena, Hannah, and Frank are some of my absolute faves. Pretty much all of the soldiers can choke but still.) that I care about. There isn't a huge amount of room for background and development but a lot is done with what there is. Things like the grocery sequence go a long way in giving this film a lot of character and adding a more "human" feel to it.

I also want to give mention to the way the visuals. I remember when I first viewed this being fairly annoyed but I've really come to appreciate the way this was shot. I can see some of the rougher bits not appealing to people but I think it definitely makes sense and there's some absolutely gorgeous shots to be found here. I'm especially a fan of most of the traveling sequences.

It really is too bad this film isn't much bigger than it is, it's truly a classic in my opinion. Weeks (up next for me watch wise probably) is okay but nowhere near the level of this one. If Months ever leaves development hell I'll be there opening night.

Film #10 - 28 Weeks Later (2007) - trailer

I feel like I should like this one a lot more than I actually do. A lot of my favorite elements from the first film carry over to this as well but something is missing.

The first 10 minutes or so are an adrenaline rush and really set my expectations for the rest high upon my first viewing. It's one of the most intense sequences I've seen in any infection based film. Unfortunately, nothing else really lives up to it. I was pretty into most of the pre-outbreak parts (I loved the bits where the kids explored abandoned London outside of the safe zone) but once shit hits the fan it falters a bit and doesn't climb back up to the same highs.

I feel really weird for saying this but it's almost a bit boring at times. That sounds wild when you actually put it into context with everything that happens but I had trouble getting fully engrossed this go around. I think it might be a mixture of a less fantastic set of characters and the generally larger scale.

This absolutely could've been worse and is by no means bad, it just doesn't compare to the first for me.

Zombine

Banned

The Town That Dreaded Sundown (2014)

v1.bjs4Mjc5NDY7ajsxNzEwOTsxMjAwOzI5OTI7MTY4Mw

The 2014 sequel to the film that kicked off the slasher genre, this film reinvents the soft horror reboot and pays homage to the original instead of trying to re-film it scene per scene. In this sequel, the masked serial killer returns to Texarkana to remind people of the murdering spree that happened so long ago.

I've gotta say...while this movie isn't genre defining, it does a lot to show directors how reboots should be done. It doesn't step on the toes of the original, and does quite a bit to add to the mythos of the real life serial killer. I'll have more to add later, but as it stands I do believe you can't go wrong with this rock solid film as a part of your Halloween line up. Give it a chance, there's a lot of depth here.

3.5/5

5. Westworld (1973)

BDgsTvM.jpg

Now that the series has debuted on HBO, I've decided to watch the original. I was first introduced to this movie from references in the Itchy & Scratchy Land episode of The Simpsons. Such an original and clever plot that in my opinion laid the groundwork for other films like The Terminator when dealing with
machines and AI
. I had forgotten that the film is written and directed by Michael Crichton known for another film that takes place in a theme park.

The Witch would have been a million times better if they didn't all talk like muppets, that way of speaking, so fucking bad. The audio and visuals were great though.

Nah the dialogue is so good. A good chunk of it came directly from historical documents. That's just how people spoke then.

Don't Torture A Duckling. I thought this looked kind of stupid by the description and the kind of shitty doll in the movie poster but holy shit was this a masterpiece. The story was pretty damn good and aside from some slightly obvious dolls for kids this was a really good movie. Highly recommend this.

MV5BOTU4MTMzMzYyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjM3MzI0MQ@@._V1_UY268_CR2,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

This is one of my all time favorite movies. Fulci doesn't disappoint.

Cptkrush

Unfortunately my girlfriend and I couldn't watch a movie last night due to real life getting in the way, but luckily we've both seen Beetlejuice so it's no biggie. We may watch it later this month, so I'll do a quick write up then.

Tonight is The Fly, and I cannot wait!

1) Most Likely To Die
nRkKQTPl.jpg

Why not start off the month with a cheesy slasher film? I'll tell you why not because you value your time! This movie is so beyond skippable that I really can't recommend it to anyone. The method of killing is shoe horned into the movie just so they can retain a theme. It might be someone's power fantasy, but even those are done much better else where. This gets 1 GED out of 5.

2) The Invitation
WVLNx6ol.jpg

This movie opens up with a very off-putting situation and only gets better from there. As a parent, it can be hard to watch at times. It makes me truly appreciate the pain other parents who have lost a child go through. This is what makes for the best horror in my opinion. Taking things that are real fears and putting them in the forefront. I felt drained by the end of the movie, but in a good way. 5 LA Mansions out of 5.

3) Hellions
Ry3buLil.jpg

Cinematography is king in this movie. The use of colors and isolation do great things to make this movie creepy to the core. There is a bit too much 'dream sequence' for my tastes, but at a certain point you have to suspend all disbelief and just enjoy the ride. The description for the movie doesn't do it justice. It's not amazing, but it's certainly better than it's synopsis. 4 bucket heads out of 5.

4) Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
Fvb7U4dl.jpg

There are some highlights in this movie, but it all feels a bit too much on the nose for it to come across as anything other than a mediocre zombie movie. This movie is probably one of the ones you want to watch in an altered state. It could have benefited greatly from dropping the romantic sub plot and focusing on brotherhood, but then you wouldn't have teens kissing each other. 2.5 Medical experiments out of 5.

Return of the Living Dead: Part II

How can you fuck up a squel so bad? This is fuck up level of The Hills Have Eyes Part II. It's one of the most useless, boring, insulting sequel of a horror classic ever. You know what's a good way to destroy your sequel? Take away all the gore, sex and coolness of the original and add an annoying kid as a protagonist and the recipe is complete. Even the return of part of the old cast is absolutely pointelss, and for whatever reason their acting got much worse.
Such a letdown. Should I watch part III? I don't think so, right?
The days where I'd watch all friday the 13th movies in a row are long past.

Return of the Living Dead: Part II

How can you fuck up a squel so bad? This is fuck up level of The Hills Have Eyes Part II. It's one of the most useless, boring, insulting sequel of a horror classic ever. You know what's a good way to destroy your sequel? Take away all the gore, sex and coolness of the original and add an annoying kid as a protagonist and the recipe is complete. Even the return of part of the old cast is absolutely pointelss, and for whatever reason their acting got much worse.
Such a letdown. Should I watch part III? I don't think so, right?
The days where I'd watch all friday the 13th movies in a row are long past.

Actually, Return of the Living Dead part 3 is not only leagues better than part 2, it's one of the more underrated horror sequels ever. I would absolutely watch part 3 as a palette cleanser from part 2's shit.

7) The Wailing - (Na Hong-jin, 2016)

"Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself. Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones as you see I have."

The film opens with the above biblical quote, immediately setting the film as having questions of faith. But faith in what, or who? That's all part of the fun, and horror, at the core of The Wailing, Na Hong-jin's sprawling third feature. Fans of South Korean cinema will immediately draw connections to Bong Joon Ho's 2003 masterpiece Memories of Murder, which similarly deftly weaved in black humor across an epic murder mystery tableau in rural Korea featuring bumbling but lovable police. And like Memories of Murder, the humorous elements only serve to make the moments of horror pack that much more of a punch, because we grow to really care about the characters. Because the film is so sprawling, and juggles various tones, hides clues in every frame, and constantly upends your expectations, it can seem messy and at times incoherent. All the obfuscation isn't there simply to mess with your head--and the film does give you answers, but they aren't always easy to obtain--but rather to place you in same space as the characters. Your faith is being tested too, because this horror film isn't about good vs. evil, but about being able to tell the difference between the two, something that isn't always as easy as it may seem. And the film is actually very carefully plotted and edited, with clues placed all over, and combined with the reframing of the story makes this a film that begs to be rewatched. This is one of the most powerful and chilling horror films I've seen, and one of the best of the year (makes for a great double feature with The Witch!). 2016 alone has proven that classic horror is back with a vengeance, and I'm hoping it's a trend that will stick as more directors use horror as means for artful expression and storytelling rather than just making a quick buck for the studio and getting a few people to jump in their seats. The Wailing sets the bar very high indeed for the rest of my marathon.

7) The Wailing - (Na Hong-jin, 2016)

"Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself. Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones as you see I have."

The film opens with the above biblical quote, immediately setting the film as having questions of faith. But faith in what, or who? That's all part of the fun, and horror, at the core of The Wailing, Na Hong-jin's sprawling third feature. Fans of South Korean cinema will immediately draw connections to Bong Joon Ho's 2003 masterpiece Memories of Murder, which similarly deftly weaved in black humor across an epic murder mystery tableau in rural Korea featuring bumbling but lovable police. And like Memories of Murder, the humorous elements only serve to make the moments of horror pack that much more of a punch, because we grow to really care about the characters. Because the film is so sprawling, and juggles various tones, hides clues in every frame, and constantly upends your expectations, it can seem messy and at times incoherent. All the obfuscation isn't there simply to mess with your head--and the film does give you answers, but they aren't always easy to obtain--but rather to place you in same space as the characters. Your faith is being tested too, because this horror film isn't about good vs. evil, but about being able to tell the difference between the two, something that isn't always as easy as it may seem. And the film is actually very carefully plotted and edited, with clues placed all over, and combined with the reframing of the story makes this a film that begs to be rewatched. This is one of the most powerful and chilling horror films I've seen, and one of the best of the year (makes for a great double feature with The Witch!). 2016 alone has proven that classic horror is back with a vengeance, and I'm hoping it's a trend that will stick as more directors use horror as means for artful expression and storytelling rather than just making a quick buck for the studio and getting a few people to jump in their seats. The Wailing sets the bar very high indeed for the rest of my marathon.
I loved the exorcism ceremony in this movie. I don't know how accurate it was, but it sure was visceral as hell.

I loved the exorcism ceremony in this movie. I don't know how accurate it was, but it sure was visceral as hell.

It was an absolutely incredible moment, and apparently very accurate. The people playing the music in the scene were actual shamans, and the rituals themselves come from actual exorcism rituals.

4. The Mutilator aka Fall Break

Now then, I've seen some films in my day, and now I've also seen The Mutilator. The Mutilator is what happens when the rich guy in town loves watching movies so much that he tries make one himself (True story). This is a movie that barely holds itself together, but underneath all of the shoddy filmmaking I found myself oddly charmed by it. It sort of reminds me of the Tommy Wiseau effect, but not quite that level. It's definite MS3TK material, that's for sure. I'm not the kind of guy that like to sit and talk to the movies I'm watching, but I really felt compelled to for this one. Everytime a scene would end I would at least utter a "Jesus Christ" or something similar. When the movie had a intro that's better suited for a cheesy 80's sitcom, I knew I was in for something different.

As a film, we're looking at shit acting, shit directing, oddly inappropriate music, shit dialogue, and even for a generic 80's slasher a goofy as shit story. I do have a little praise to give to the crafting of this flick though. The budget was under $100,000 and The Mutilator looks pretty good (Could be the Arrow Video effect). I think that is mostly because of the locale, but the beach condo setting is nice. The star of the show though, is effects guru Mark Shostrom. If you don't recognize the name you will at least be aware of his work, he's responsible for some of the effects in Videodrome, A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 & 3, Phantasm 2 & 3, and Evil Dead 2. The death scenes here all look top notch thanks to him. There was even one that was in such bad taste that my jaw actually dropped. I'm not exaggerating either, actually dropped.

To close out, The Mutilator is not a good movie. However, it is one that has a lot of care and affection put into it, you can really tell the crew had a good time making it. If you let your guard down a little, you can have a good time too............Gonna Have a Good Time!

Verdict
Film: 2.5/10
Enjoyment: 7/10

Actually, Return of the Living Dead part 3 is not only leagues better than part 2, it's one of the more underrated horror sequels ever. I would absolutely watch part 3 as a palette cleanser from part 2's shit.
I see that it's directed by Yuzna. I know him better as a producer than a directer, but I guess it's worth to give it a try.

ehead

Oct.5
The Visit
The_Visit_%282015_film%29_poster.jpg

This was a surprise. I completely forgot about this movie until it was recommended by a podcast I was subscribed to. The twist is certainly there but it was not what I was expecting. Jump scares are good and not your typical out-of-nowhere "boo!". M.Night did a good job with this movie and I hope he returns with more of the same caliber.

hiredhand

6. A Nightmare on Elm Street (Samuel Bayer, 2010)
I honestly don't know why I subject myself to these films. Its like the filmmakers tried their hardest to make the most bland unimaginative version of Elm Street. Usually even in bad horror films there is some interesting element: a nicely structured action scene, a memorable creature design, some nice physical effect work or even some unintentionally funny dialog. This film has nothing. Definitely not recommended to anyone. 2/10

Oct 5

Got up early to get this one in.

Fall Break aka The Mutilator (1984)

A classic slashers, actually one of the better ones I've watched. Characters are likeable enough, though poorly acted, there's no stupid mystery about the killer (and nice reprieve from my experiences with both Toolbox Murders films). Where this movie excels it's theme song... classic upbeat 80s song seriously look it up it's called Fall Break and it's hilarious.

Ok where it actually excels is gore effects, this uncut baby doesn't hold back, there is a fishhook sequence that even managed to shock me and I'm not easily shocked by movie violence. Excellent effects and the movie shows them off, no cheap out cutaways here.

Killer also has an excellent last moment before death, I mean it's hilarious but wonderful.

Probably the most enjoyable movie I've watched so far (not artistically the best though just the most fun).

Now then, I've seen some films in my day, and now I've also seen The Mutilator. The Mutilator is what happens when the rich guy in town loves watching movies so much that he tries make one himself (True story). This is a movie that barely holds itself together, but underneath all of the shoddy filmmaking I found myself oddly charmed by it. It sort of reminds me of the Tommy Wiseau effect, but not quite that level. It's definite MS3TK material, that's for sure. I'm not the kind of guy that like to sit and talk to the movies I'm watching, but I really felt compelled to for this one. Everytime a scene would end I would at least utter a "Jesus Christ" or something similar. When the movie had a intro that's better suited for a cheesy 80's sitcom, I knew I was in for something different.

As a film, we're looking at shit acting, shit directing, oddly inappropriate music, shit dialogue, and even for a generic 80's slasher a goofy as shit story. I do have a little praise to give to the crafting of this flick though. The budget was under $100,000 and The Mutilator looks pretty good (Could be the Arrow Video effect). I think that is mostly because of the locale, but the beach condo setting is nice. The star of the show though, is effects guru Mark Shostrom. If you don't recognize the name you will at least be aware of his work, he's responsible for some of the effects in Videodrome, A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 & 3, Phantasm 2 & 3, and Evil Dead 2. The death scenes here all look top notch thanks to him. There was even one that was in such bad taste that my jaw actually dropped. I'm not exaggerating either, actually dropped.

To close out, The Mutilator is not a good movie. However, it is one that has a lot of care and affection put into it, you can really tell the crew had a good time making it. If you let your guard down a little, you can have a good time too............Gonna Have a Good Time!

Verdict

LOL we posted about the same movie an hour apart.

Oct.5
The Visit

This was a surprise. I completely forgot about this movie until it was recommended by a podcast I was subscribed to. The twist is certainly there but it was not what I was expecting. Jump scares are good and not your typical out-of-nowhere "boo!". M.Night did a good job with this movie and I hope he returns with more of the same caliber.
While not super amazing or anything, I do feel that The Visit is an underrated little movie. It won't blow anybody's mind, but I found it thoroughly enjoyable.

Bava(s) Week – Part 2

Continuing on with my Mario and Lamberto Bava mini-marathon.

JOf1pr0.jpg

04) Kill, Baby… Kill! (Operazione paura) (1966) (Oct 4)

Kill, Baby… Kill! is another fantastic Gothic horror from Mario Bava. This time it's about a superstitious European village being tormented by the ghost of a child.

I'm generally not a huge fan of ghost movies, mainly because of the dire state of modern haunting movies, but this was a refreshing change of pace for me. I'm still fairly inexperienced with classic Gothic horror, and I do love me a good
revenge
story, so I really enjoyed this.

Once again, Mario delivers a stunningly beautifully film. I loved how the photography was both colorful and muted at the same time. It had a very sleepy, dreamlike quality to it. The town and locations had so much character and atmosphere, everything was just a joy to look at. They probably should have gave the cobweb guy a couple of days off though, dude went nuts with'em.

I would have loved to have had the witch, Ruth play a bigger role though. She was a really interesting dynamic but I felt she was ultimately underused. It could have maybe a tiny bit more ghost sightings as well. Just hints of it here and there would have really upped the spooky factor.

And man, Giacomo Rossi Stuart sure does hate garlic...

Rating:
11caONK.png

out 5 "What's in the basket?"

OD950GO.jpg

05) Demons 2 (Dèmoni 2… l'incubo ritorna) (1986) (Oct 5)

Only a year after the release of the original Demons, Lamberto Bava returns with the sequel. While Demons 2 is bascailly more of the same, that's really only negative if you consider more Demons a bad thing. I don't.

What it lacks in originality, it makes up for in crazy demon action and yet another killer soundtrack. Demons 2 wastes little time getting to the carnage, and once the beasts are let loose, it's a nonstop thrill ride with plenty of fantastically cheesy practical effects.

The biggest flaws of this one are the characters. They're mostly just basic cliches with no depth since no time is spent to flesh anyone out. We're treated to such characters as bratty party girl, kid left home alone, pregnant lady, woman with dog, etc. Good luck even remembering the names of the few characters that are even given one. Bobby Rhodes, who played the pimp in the original returns to steal the show once again though. It could have used a more gore as well. There's a couple of times it cuts away where you'd expect something that really stood out.

The Demons series is basically the cheaper, less good Italian equivalent to Return of the Living Dead. Well worth watching if you want some silly, 80s fun.

Rating:
MEBTZuB.png

out 5 "What's in the basket?"

Just wrapped up Darling.. thoughts below..

#5 film of my NeoGAF 31 Days Of Horror (6) challenge. Despite a pleasing aesthetic and a fun descent into madness things still fell a bit flat. This is definitely a step up from 'POD' but it feels like the idea would have been executed much better as a short film.

Demons is an excellent series, I also quite enjoyed The Church which was the 3rd Demons movie.

I think I remember Soavi saying that The Church was originally conceived as the 3rd Demons movie, but instead chose to make it a stand alone horror film. Since I haven't seen it yet (it's on my list) I'll be excited to see if they kept any of the Demons stuff in.

Demons is an excellent series, I also quite enjoyed The Church which was the 3rd Demons movie.

Not Bava though he did write part of the screenplay.

Yeah, I watched that for the marathon back in 2013. It is fun but it definitely feels like it had too many cooks in the kitchen during the writing phase.

I think it's the weakest of Michele Soavi's horror movies, but still worth checking out.

That fucking scene in Demons with the guy driving the bike around the movie theater and swinging a katana at the zombies to save the girl always cracks me up.

It's like this guy's wet dream.

0WXiffY.png

Divius

2ih117j.png

#05 - Teeth (2007)
More black comedy than horror, Teeth is a coming of age tale that deals with puberty, sexual violence and a vagina with teeth. It's quite funny and made me smile a few times, I really liked Weixler in the leading role and thought it was fresh and unique. Too bad overall it just wasn't better. Also is it weird I wanted to see the 'monster'? 6/10

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
any good recent slasher flicks?

wife has grad school tonight which means i have a solid 2 hour window to turn off all the lights and enjoy a nice horror flick

right now i have Green Room or The Final Girls queued up

I think I remember Soavi saying that The Church was originally conceived as the 3rd Demons movie, but instead chose to make it a stand alone horror film. Since I haven't seen it yet (it's on my list) I'll be excited to see if they kept any of the Demons stuff in.

Hmm interesting never knew that...

Also on the topic of Michele Soavi

Please check out Stage Fright and Dellamorte Dellamore if you haven't already.

Reeks

I liked it better than Demons 1 or 2. And the soundtrack is fucking awesome.

1x02-Dreams-in-the-Witch-House-masters-of-horror-12382238-500-281.jpg

4. Dreams in the Witch-house

This is part of the Masters of Horror series, so it's more of a TV episode than a full-blown feature film. However, it is 55 minutes long, which means it counts per thread rules.

I thought it was an unimpressive but decent and enjoyable adaptation of Lovecraft's story. They did a decent job updating the story to present day (present day meaning 2005.) Sadly, there is no single stand out feature or performance, but the pacing is pretty consistent throughout thanks to its length. The special and gore effects were what I would expect by the TV standards of the era. I had a good time for the most part.

2/5 stars.

I can't put my finger on why I love this short so much. The Miike Master's of Horror, Imprint, is really good, too.

gamz

Oct.5
The Visit

I really liked it also. Loved the twist. Didn't see it coming.

gamz

wife has grad school tonight which means i have a solid 2 hour window to turn off all the lights and enjoy a nice horror flick

Both are really good. Final Girls has one of the more emotional scenes I've seen last year. Seriously.

Recent?

The Sleeper

You're Next

Stage Fright (2014 unrelated to the Stage Fright I just mentioned in my las post) if you don't mind it also being a horrible rock screamo musical

Detention (This one is fucking nuts it's amazing)

It Follows

Cabin in the Woods basically counts

Sorority Row remake was pretty great

Hatchet series

Laud to Rest series

The Final Girls is phenomenal so watch that

Reeks

I was going to buy Martyrs on Amazon just now and the cheapest I can find is 39.00 USD. It's not on Netflix DVDs either. I saw it a couple years ago and can't remember how...

61DPdlNYU7L._SY550_.jpg

Green Room is great. One of the most viscerally intense movies in recent years, and a great entry in the "siege film" subgenre like Night of the Living Dead or Assault on Precinct 13.

As far as recent slashers go, I actually enjoyed the Maniac remake with Elijah Wood. You're Next is a pretty good black comedy take on slasher/home invasion movies too.

Verdict

Love the shoutout to Mark Shostrom. One of the more underrated effects guys of the era.

MattyH

after the effects laden return of the living dead 3 last night im on a bit of a monster movie/effects kick so #5 The Relic now ive not seen this since i was a teen so should be fun

You guys are making me want to watch The Mutilator...It sounds like something I would enjoy.

If you like good gore effects, do it.

The kills are gnarly and the odd juxtaposition of teen comedy music with slash is fucking funny.

If you took out the killing it's a PG teen sexcom.

With the killing it's a PG Teen sexcom with NC-17 gore.

Make sure you watch it uncut...

The version on Shudder is uncut I believe (since it has the Fall Break title in the film itself instead of the Mutilator which was added later)

GhaleonEB

That's not my site.. a lot of gafers are using letterboxd to easily track our film lists. Sorry I'll just copy and past in here next time.

Thanks for clarifying. Please do post your impressions here, for readability, but it's fine if you want to link back to the list for reference. People should be able to just read the thread rather than be opening tabs to read them offsite.

#6 Splinter (FTV) - I heard good things about this film when it came out back in 2008. And while it got off to a rough start, things quickly picked up. Characters that I found annoying were either offed early or redeemed by the end. One big problem I had with it is the overly shaky camera whenever the monster was on screen. It was difficult to make out the creature's form. Aside from that, I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.

Rating - 7.5/10
Genre: Survival/Body Horror

Next up, a 35mm showing of Suspiria at the Alamo tonight with my horror meetup group.

hampig

MV5BMjI0NTEyMjA3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODk5OTU4OTE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

One of my favorite things to do is to go see a scary movie in the theater by myself. I always aim for a bit after the film comes out to try and get my own room. I only do this with movies I have really high hopes for, like It Follows, The VVitch, and now The Blair Witch.

For the first 3/4ths of the movie, the atmosphere was just not there. I really wanted to be invested and spooked by this movie, I was giving it my full attention, but I just was not drawn in at all.

There were way too many jump scares. And not even just jump scares. USELESS jump scares. People turning around and having their friend appear and say something loudly. It felt like they were reaching too hard for the mainstream audience that just wants quick, constant scares.

Also, the subtlety of the first is ENTIRELY gone. You could watch the first uninformed and have some doubt that it was a work of fiction. This one you wouldn't even be able to make it half way. That isn't necessarily bad, there were a few great scenes that came from the lack of restraint. But, I do think this is what killed the atmosphere. The movie was neither here nor there for the first 1/4th. The characters and camera work were trying to convince me that everything was real, but everything else in the film was screaming "this is fake, we are trying to scare you".

Then comes the last 30 minutes or so. This is where the movie comes into it's own. It entirely drops the weak attempts at subtlety and just goes for it. I did not feel like I was watching a The Blair With Project sequel at this time, but I did finally start to enjoy the movie. The atmosphere is suddenly claustrophobic, there is a real danger, and the film handles these things a lot better than the faux real camera footage in the woods. I haven't seen enough of Wingard's films to know for sure, but going off of You're Next, maybe a more action oriented approach is just what clicks for him.

Despite my complaints, the ending saved this movie from disappointment for me. It's not a classic, but I genuinely enjoyed it.

8/10

Top Bottom