• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders Imaginators review thread

Tizoc

With the PS4 featuring Crash Bandicoot and Cortex, various people may be interested in the game but would like to hear reviews of it first. I've linked to some reviews below but feel free to provide more and I'll link them here in due time

IGN Review 6.8/10
On the whole, Skylanders Imaginators is one of the weaker games in the series. It does have a creative element that delighted my inner child with the ability to build and carry around my own crazy character going for it, and world looks and sounds great. But I was let down by the level design and plot, and soured by the aggressive microtransaction prompts.

trustedreviews.com 4 out of 5
Pros
  • Excellent design-your-own Skylander features
  • Superb 3D Platformer meets Action-RPG gameplay
  • Huge range of activities to get stuck into
  • Brilliant level design

Cons
  • Racing pulled wholesale from Superchargers
  • It's still going to hurt your wallet

Digital Spy 4 out of 5
Prepare to dig deep into your wallets, then, but be assured that Imaginators will makes the investment worth your while.

Not only is making your own Skylanders a lot of fun, but playing with them and upgrading them makes for one of the most addictive family games around.

Just when you might have expected the original Toys-to-Life franchise to be running out of steam, Activision has brought it back, revitalised and exciting. Imaginators might just be the best Skylanders yet.

Gamespot 7/10
Pros
  • Fun, engaging level of character customisation
  • Solid introduction of RPG-like elements
  • Fun--if standard--action platforming

Cons
  • You can't use gear on Skylanders
  • Pretty basic action platforming

ACG rated it: Buy

I'm pretty disappointed that the story campaign is so short this time. All the other Skylanders games took me more than 20 hours just to finish the story levels, but this one has only 10 levels, and there is a guy on youtube who finished the entire game in a 9.5 hour video, including messing with the character creator repeatedly. IGN also says 10 hour campaign. Sounds like all the effort went into the character creator, which is appealing to me, but the Canadian prices of $129.99 for the Crash pack and $19.99 per figure are outrageous for a 10 level game that has so much locked behind buying more stuff (you need a sensei of each type to unlock new levels, and a new creation crystal for each created character unless you cheat the system using spyro 3ds as detailed in the other thread)

Nice, is the crash pack limited or full exclusive? I want to surprise a friend.

There's a PS4/PS3 Crash Edition that includes Crash and Cortex (and the level they unlock) but they work on all platforms, not just the Playstation ones, and will be getting a $30 standalone release before Christmas. None of it is exclusive to any particular retailer or anything but I think the PS4 edition is starting to sell out at online retailers so it might be limited in quantity.

I want to play it because I've played all of the others (and find them to be decent fun), but $100 is too much for something that will collect dust once I beat it.

I MAY buy it, beat it then sell it, but I worry how much I will lose.

Ecto311

Is there no digital version of this? I got the last one digital to save and to not rack up 20 goddamn portals in this house.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Not happening for me this year.

Some Guy

Got this a few days early and have been really enjoying it! I'm about half way through and so far it's my fav of the TFB-made games. A little surprised by the IGN review, but the prominently placed prompt for in-game microtransaction IS gross -- an adult will see how pointless they are, but kids are kids -- and they deserve to take some flak for that.

The campaign is a few levels shorter than usual -- 10, plus the 2 smaller bonus elemental levels accessible with the various starter pack characters -- but there's a lot of additional gameplay content spread out over the new overworld area. If there's a little more similar side stuff introduced post-game stuff then I'd say it balances out to about the length of Superchargers, just presented in a more compartmentalized way. (I'm not done the campaign yet, though, so I can't speak to that.)

Side note: because of how the game has been restructured, there's a much bigger content discrepancy between the regular starter pack and deluxe (Crash) starter pack than usual. In addition to the Crash stage itself, you can also use Crash and Cortex to open up two more of the bonus elemental levels... so, that's one BIG level and two smaller ones that you can't play with the regular starter.

Top Bottom