• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gaming's many launchers, reviewed for 2024: Steam still puts the rest to shame

Whether you're a Steam devotee or have a taskbar overflowing with different logos, launchers are a staple (and unavoidable) part of modern PC gaming. And because they're so ubiquitous, it's hard not to have strong feelings about them, adding to your book of grudges every time one of them bugs out on you, changes a key feature you loved, or just commits the crime of making you stretch your game library across yet another app.
It's been about five years since we last made an accounting of the hobby's many launchers, and it's surprising how much has changed in that time. The publisher-specific launchers that briefly bloomed and spread have shrunk or been forced to change. Uplay is now Ubisoft Connect; Origin has become simply EA; and some, such as Bethesda's launcher, have disappeared entirely. Meanwhile, new players have thrown their hats in the ring, and the longstanding top dogs have changed and grown in new directions.

So how does the launcher landscape lie in 2024? Let's put some numbers to it.

STEAM​

Pros: User-friendly, feature rich, huge range of games

Cons: Inescapable gimmicks, discoverability issues

Score: 90%

Despite some flaws and frustrations, Steam is the best it's ever been. After all this time, still no other launcher comes close.

EPIC GAMES STORE​

Pros: Free games, good discounts

Cons: Everything else

Score: 41%

Over five years on from launch, the Epic Games Store still offers barebones features and a dreadful user experience.

GOG GALAXY​

Pros: Unifies your game libraries, wide selection of older and retro games

Cons: Can be a bit fiddly, often desyncs

Score: 77%

An impressive, if quite fiddly, attempt to unify our game libraries under one launcher.

XBOX​

Pros: Game Pass, simple but effective layout

Cons: Library doesn't distinguish well between owned games and Game Pass games

Score: 65%

A nice platform for accessing Game Pass on PC, but if you aren't subscribed it has little to offer.

MICROSOFT STORE​

Pros: Er?

Cons: Slow, awkward, poor library functionality

Score: 21%

A dreadful launcher that's also totally redundant when it comes to gaming.

AMAZON GAMES​

Pros: Solid interface, free games through Prime Gaming

Cons: No store functionality means it has limited use

Score: 61%

PC gaming's most easily overlooked launcher may be limited, but as a platform for free Prime Gaming games, it does the job.

EA LAUNCHER​

Pros: Marginally better than Origin

Cons: Limited selection of games, very slow, barebones library

Score: 33%

The textbook example of a launcher you only have installed because you have to, and resent every time you're forced to use it.

UBISOFT CONNECT​

Pros: Marginally better than Uplay

Cons: Limited selection of games, barebones library, annoying meta-layer

Score: 35%

Another launcher only used under duress, Ubisoft Connect's most notable feature is adding even more things to earn and buy to Ubisoft's already overstuffed games.

BATTLE.NET​

Pros: Snappy, all your Blizzard games in one place

Cons: Awful layout, confused identity, extremely limited selection of games

Score: 31%

One of the ugliest launchers, in service to a small selection of games muddled by the inclusion of other Activision properties.

Last edited:

Holammer

"Discoverability issues" for steam? That's old code for "I did not spend a dime on marketing and expect Valve to handle it for me.". The topic's been resurfacing regularly for the past ten years. The algorithmic discovery solutions on Steam have never been better.

StereoVsn

"Discoverability issues" for steam? That's old code for "I did not spend a dime on marketing and expect Valve to handle it for me.". The topic's been resurfacing regularly for the past ten years. The algorithmic discovery solutions on Steam have never been better.
Yep, and Steam has a lot of options features for discovery on user side.

And if Steam has those issue, all the other launchers are not even 1/2 as able.

To be fair when you are Ubisoft and only have limited number of games it’s not as important.

MiguelItUp

I can't believe how long it's been and how much money Epic has but their launcher is just so abysmal, lol. I'd like to think they'll be updating it or making some changes sometime soon. But I can't help but think they won't.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
"limited selection of games", shouldn't be a con when the launcher is for a specific publisher, I guess the rockstar games launcher should get a zero then.
Also there's no way EGS is better than ea or ubi, just because they give away free games? The launcher itself is slow and you can't even really manage your DLC like the other launchers.
steam is also the only launcher that doesn't let you install wherever you want (it can only install to libraries).
And for some more unique features, ubi offers cross progression on their newer titles, I think valhalla was the first one, and the article completely fails to mention that the currency you can earn isn't just for in-game rewards, it also allows you to get a 20% discount whenever you want on anything, even if something is already on sale; I've used that plenty and it's a great feature. It also has remote/share play like steam; the fact they scored it lower than EGS just because of free games is insane.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
PC Gamer eh? I guess Epic stopped paying them for Pro-Epic/Anti-Steam articles.

Steam obliterates everyone, with GoG earning the second spot as it should be.

Rockstar Games lol. A Zero if there ever was one.

I think they’re more harsh on UbiConnect than I’d be. True that it’s a store primarily for UbiSoft, but there’s a few ideas that I like. Mainly the bonuses for owning multiple Ubi games, and how that earns free themed cosmetics.

Epic as much as they suck has improved a bit. They’re definitely third.

When people suggest Sony make a store, it’d honestly be just as lousy as Microsoft’s. We don’t need more trash for the sake of the publisher.

Last edited:

Denton

Damn, I pretty much agree with their ratings, that's a first.

I have all of them installed (except amazon one, but I have Rockstar one), and they are all just (un)necessary evil except for Steam and GOG.

That said, I don't really mind the other launchers too much. They take little space and they do the job. But of course, I would much prefer if they were all retired and all companies just used Steam already. Since they are unwilling to improve their stuff.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
What the fuck are these "scores" lol

Like what exactly is differentiating EA's 33% compared to Ubisoft Connect's 35%?

Article is dumb as shit.

hinch7

Sounds about right. Steam is the only decent one with a good user experience. Whether its the login, interface, storefront to performance. The rest are second tier at best, or just unusable - ala Ubisoft junk.

I only use Steam and Epic on the side for free games. The rest I uninstalled never to be used again.. unless I have a scratch to play the very odd game I have on another service.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Honestly, I don't care about all the features Steam has. I couldn't care less about achievements, trading cards and all the other carrots-on-a-stick it has.

However, I do like having all my games in one launcher, and since Steam was my first PC-launcher, I simply try to get everything I can on Steam. It's silly, but I just like looking at my gameslist in one place as opposed to a million different ones,

Steam is great, only problems are it’s best games are all hidden, the store is also unusable on the steam deck and big picture mode as it’s designed for desktop using mouse and keyboard.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Steam is amazing. Gog is good too. Hats off to microsoft for improving the xbox app so much. I do agree though. No point unless you are a gamepass subscriber, then it's decent.

Last edited:

Denton

Hats off to microsoft for improving the xbox app so much
Yeah this does deserve some credit, it was total piece of shit some years back, but they worked on it and it is fast and snappy these days, I have zero issues with it. And combined with getting gamepass for 50 bucks a year, it is an awesome deal, I am prepaid until 2026.
What the fuck are these "scores" lol

Like what exactly is differentiating EA's 33% compared to Ubisoft Connect's 35%?

Article is dumb as shit.
It is obviously not some super scientific thing. Just like rating games isn't.
EA 33 vs Ubi 35 simply means that both are shit, but EA is little bit worse smelling shit. Which is accurate.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I would argue that the Xbox app is pretty decent, even if you're not a Game Pass subscriber, assuming you also have an Xbox and some Play Anywhere games. Being able to hop back and forth (thanks, cloud saves!) between PC and console on a game such as Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth is a pretty nice feature.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Been gaming on PC for about a year now and GoG and Steam is everything I want when it comes to buying and launching games. They have the best selection of games, from old to new, to best prices and features. And when it comes to unifying my library across platforms, I use Playnite, which is a great program that automatically syncs up your library and make the games easy to view and access.

Last edited:
The Xbox app is utter garbage in my experience, lacking basic functionality such as the option to move games easily (you can do it but you have to do this via Settings > Apps etc) and no reliable way to verify a game if you ever experience the dreaded 0x error code that unhelpfully tells you nothing but to 'try again later'.

I got so fed up with the app breaking large game installs via GamePass on my PC with updates on that I actually ended up just buying them on Steam instead, where, of course, they work perfectly with no issues despite being installed to the same damn location!

The only positive thing I can say about the Xbox app is that it is a massive improvement over the Games for Windows service (remember that?) but that's like saying that's hardly a ringing endorsement.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Honestly, I don't care about all the features Steam has. I couldn't care less about achievements, trading cards and all the other carrots-on-a-stick it has.

However, I do like having all my games in one launcher, and since Steam was my first PC-launcher, I simply try to get everything I can on Steam. It's silly, but I just like looking at my gameslist in one place as opposed to a million different ones,
Just put all shortcuts in one place, like on Desktop or a folder or even Steam (add non Steam game).

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm not PC gamer and no expert but I guess the days of launching the games from the disk on PC is long gone?

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I thought Battle.net had a great launcher. I don't use it anymore because OW2 and COD are on Steam now, but I didn't mind it.
I also liked the Origin launcher (only used it for BF games) though they killed it for the EA launcher.
At the end of the day Steam is king though.

Sentenza

There's no fucking way the new EA Launcher is "better than Origin", by the way.

I mean, I wasn't exactly a fan of Origin to begin with, but it's quite telling that EVERYTHING about the EA Launcher is making me miss it dearly.
It's a genuine piece of shit that makes most of the competition look better by contrast.

twilo99

I would argue that the Xbox app is pretty decent, even if you're not a Game Pass subscriber, assuming you also have an Xbox and some Play Anywhere games. Being able to hop back and forth (thanks, cloud saves!) between PC and console on a game such as Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth is a pretty nice feature.

I don't have any issues with the xbox app, and I've been using that much more than Steam, but that's probably because I'm not really modding any games or anything like that

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
1998 was a long time ago...
3lYi.gif

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I got so fed up with the app breaking large game installs via GamePass on my PC with updates on that I actually ended up just buying them on Steam instead, which, of course, they work perfectly with no issues despite being installed to the same damn location!
How do you manage that? Steam doesn't have pickable install locations, only libraries; are you install Xbox games in steam library folders?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I don't have any issues with the xbox app, and I've been using that much more than Steam, but that's probably because I'm not really modding any games or anything like that
You can actually run a lot of mods on Xbox versions of games now. They moved from UWP to standard Windows apps, and you can even choose the installation folder when installing them (for easier file access). The only mods that aren't compatible are the ones that modify a game's executable, because those are still protected files in the operating system.

I buy Steam games that I have on other launchers. I buy games that I got for free elsewhere .That's how bad the other launchers are.

Origin, Uplay and Bnet were OK for 2011-2013. Two of them are worse now and Uplay is exactly the same; it has a new name but I still click Uplay and it opens.

Sojiro

Can't argue with Steam being the best, I like their interface and think everything about it is solid. I don't agree with the BNET being quite that low, I think it's good, but just serviceable. EA launcher I agree with. GoG is one that I feel has made some pretty big improvements from the first time I used it. It used to perform like shit, and I felt like it was a hot mess, but now I think it is really solid, easily the one I have seen the best improvements with.

Diddy X

The thing is those companies don't even put any effort into making the launchers better, they don't see it as a selling point or think they are good enough.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm not PC gamer and no expert but I guess the days of launching the games from the disk on PC is long gone?

Yeah. Most people don’t even put optical drives in their builds. I have an external one should I ever get the desire to play some of my discs.

Stamps1646

My absolute favorites:

GoG - DRM free goodness, I mainly use for retro or older titles
Steam - Community section, Deals, Events and Features.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Only apps I have for games are steam and the Xbox app for play anywhere titles. Basically if it's not on steam or play anywhere I don't play it.

DaGwaphics

These people seem bitter. If the games ultimately are playable I figure that should be good for at least 50%. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I guess as a mostly single player gamer, a lot of the issues people face don't apply to me. Steam, Xbox Store, Epic and the EA App have all proven functional for me. Steam has less quirks to it than the others, but they all get the job done. If I'm getting something on PC, I just get it wherever the price is better at the time.

Guilty_AI

Pretty much. That said its fairly common to have digital versions of games where you effectively own the software, so it isn't as much of an issue as it'd be on a digital-only console.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
These people seem bitter. If the games ultimately are playable I figure that should be good for at least 50%. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I guess as a mostly single player gamer, a lot of the issues people face don't apply to me. Steam, Xbox Store, Epic and the EA App have all proven functional for me. Steam has less quirks to it than the others, but they all get the job done. If I'm getting something on PC, I just get it wherever the price is better at the time.

Cloud saves are a big deal for me and I only play single player games. I love being able to just install an old game years later and still have all my progress.

StereoVsn

Cloud saves are a big deal for me and I only play single player games. I love being able to just install an old game years later and still have all my progress.
Good controller support is huge and only Steam does it right. It in modding, wikis, reviews, communities is nice. Having very good discord functionality (if you know what you are doing). Easy returns. And a ton more.

There are good reasons to like Steam as a primarily SP gamer. And of course GoG is great due to supporting old games and being DRM free. Sony even need a launcher technically.

The Xbox app is utter garbage in my experience, lacking basic functionality such as the option to move games easily (you can do it but you have to do this via Settings > Apps etc) and no reliable way to verify a game if you ever experience the dreaded 0x error code that unhelpful tells you nothing but to 'try again later'.

I got so fed up with the app breaking large game installs via GamePass on my PC with updates on that I actually ended up just buying them on Steam instead, which, of course, they work perfectly with no issues despite being installed to the same damn location!

The only positive thing I can say about the Xbox app is that it is a massive improvement over the Games for Windows service (remember that?) but that's like saying that's hardly a ringing endorsement.

It's offensive how bad the Xbox and PC Game Pass experience are. I let my sub expire a few years ago because of it, every time I tried to simply install a game I ran into issues. It's been years since game installations and launchers became a solved problem, and in miraculous fashion Microsoft brought it back to the mid 90s in terms of user experience. Steam is magical by comparison, it just works.

How do you manage that? Steam doesn't have pickable install locations, only libraries; are you install Xbox games in steam library folders?

You misunderstood what I wrote. I meant that I install the Steam version of the game to the same drives where the GamePass version was previously installed (which is in the XboxGames folder) so there is nothing wrong with the drive itself, the issue is with the Xbox app itself and likely the encryption that Microsoft use for their PC games.

It's offensive how bad the Xbox and PC Game Pass experience are. I let my sub expire a few years ago because of it, every time I tried to simply install a game I ran into issues. It's been years since game installations and launchers became a solved problem, and in miraculous fashion Microsoft brought it back to the mid 90s in terms of user experience. Steam is magical by comparison, it just works.

Exactly.

Steam have had years of experience to refine their launcher and at this point it is easily the best of any launcher to date and shames all of the others. You would think that Microsoft would also have this down to an art by now, being the creators of Windows, but it is embarrassing how far behind Valve they are when it comes to reliable and fast game installs on PC. At least in my experience. I will be cancelling my GamePass Ultimate subscription next month as I have decided I would rather just buy the few Xbox games I want to play on Steam instead. I am seriously considering selling my Xbox Series X which I bought prior to upgrading my PC and now barely use any more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom