• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
This has to be the worst translation of flavor to card text in the history of Magic. Ice Age did a better job.
I think Tsabo Tavoc wins that one.

281.jpg

ultron87

I was skeptical having never done it before but drafting hyper aggro in Cube is a good ole time. Drafted another player at the store's mostly not-expensive stuff cube last night, and got to go Frenzied Goblin -> Piledriver -> Spike Jester. Or another game, Pile Driver -> Hammer of Purphoros -> Beetleback Chief. Had Spiteful Visions as a Sulfuric Vortex stand in. Good times!

It really feels a bit like there are two types of Partner cards: The "I want to play with this card and it could be a useful commander" and the "I'm partnering with this because it opens up two colours but it's not there for much else".

That said, at least Ishai is a card you might cast if you have nothing else to do and is the only WU option. On the other hand, Ludevic can be actively bad for you whereas the more expensive Kraum is an OK creature with the potential to draw you a bunch of cards.

ElyrionX

Good luck. I mostly play control in Modern, and have gone through a lot of iterations. One thing I can tell you is if you're playing straight control, manlands are pretty important. In Esper you have access to probably the two best ones in Creeping Tar Pit and Celestial Colonnade so hopefully you can scrounge some up if you don't have them already.

Thanks! I have the Colonnades. Playing 3 in my deck

OnPoint

Well I mean

It's a U/R card designed for EDH

I mean honestly the card itself is whatever. Make it any other wizard without history and we wouldn't be talking about it.

But this is a dude that builds then reanimates evil creatures, or makes experimental eggs with crazy beasts inside. His profile doesn't fit on this card at all.

MoxManiac

I mean honestly the card itself is whatever. Make it any other wizard without history and we wouldn't be talking about it.

But this is a dude that builds then reanimates evil creatures, or makes experimental eggs with crazy beasts inside. His profile doesn't fit on this card at all.

I just think it's funny that a card with the word Necro in the title doesn't have black at all!

Firemind

Yeah should have been Grixis

I think Tsabo Tavoc wins that one.

281.jpg

No, Tsabo Tavoc was the Phyrexian general tasked with dealing with the Weatherlight crew, all of whom are represented as Legendary creatures. It makes sense in context. Also, it seems likely that Tsabo Tavoc is a Phyrexian-ized Lady Orca from Legends (seriously - check out the mana cost, P/T, and even the art. They align very closely).

Ludevic makes no sense from any direction you look at it.

Toxi

Banned
No, Tsabo Tavoc was the Phyrexian general tasked with dealing with the Weatherlight crew, all of whom are represented as Legendary creatures. It makes sense in context.
She completely failed at that task though.

Also, it seems likely that Tsabo Tavoc is a Phyrexian-ized Lady Orca from Legends (seriously - check out the mana cost, P/T, and even the art. They align very closely).
If that is the case, it was completely ignored in the Legends books.

I don't actually see a problem with Ludevic being blue/red -- he's more aggressively weird-science-y than the comparatively calm Geralf, and all his zombies and monsters are blue, never black, which is an acceptable thing in Innistrad. It's just bizarre not to have an ability that deals with either graveyards or creatures.

If that is the case, it was completely ignored in the Legends books.

There's a looooot of left-hand-not-knowing kinda stuff in that era.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem with Ludevic is that the card's design is uninspired to begin with. The fact it has nothing to do with what Ludevic is supposed to do flavorwise just compounds the problem.

Stitcher Geralf is mono-blue and does what he's supposed to do. The biggest problem I'm seeing is that designs like that make me feel like the design team isn't actually listening to what players are looking for.

Crocodile

I don't actually see a problem with Ludevic being blue/red -- he's more aggressively weird-science-y than the comparatively calm Geralf, and all his zombies and monsters are blue, never black, which is an acceptable thing in Innistrad. It's just bizarre not to have an ability that deals with either graveyards or creatures.

Nobody cares that he's Blue-Red. The bolded part is the issue!

Yeef

I think Ludevic is a case where they probably designed a card that wasn't anyone, then development needed to assign it to a legend and they just picked a random character that players wanted. Neither Ludevic nor Kraum really have anything to do with the things most people would expect from Innistrad-based characters.

OnPoint

Yeah should have been Grixis

Yes, there's that, but it's only scraping the surface of what's wrong. Look at Gisa's card, or Geralf's card? Those both fit pretty well for what they were character-wise.

In the article today they said about Ludevic:

"From his remote laboratory in Nephalia, Ludevic has established himself as the most prolific practitioner of a terrifying tradition: cobbling together monsters from the animated tissues of the dead. What makes Ludevic unique is that his fascination goes beyond the mysteries of flesh and life—Ludevic is captivated by the nuances of the mind. He derives great pleasure from studying the horror his creations inspire."​

The card they made should have had an ability that represents what the character is and does in universe. Everyone drawing cards on their card if someone else besides you loses life? What does that have to do with bio-necro-experimentation? What does that have to do with horror? It just doesn't fit. It's a failure all around.

This is how I would have done it.

- Grixis colors? Makes sense for him.
- Cast trigger that affects graveyards? Flavorful.
- Rummaging through those graveyards to create a horror? Fits what he does.
- Drawing card based on the fear of others? Also works.​

Ludvic as he stands is just garbage.

Edit: His CMC should have a ( 1 ) in front of it. But whatever.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I think Ludevic is a case where they probably designed a card that wasn't anyone, then development needed to assign it to a legend and they just picked a random character that players wanted. Neither Ludevic nor Kraum really have anything to do with the things most people would expect from Innistrad-based characters.

Thats a dumb fucking way to design commanders. Not to mention its a shit card besides. The levels of failure here are amazing.

Ashodin

They shoe-horned Ludevic into the card because they didn't have an answer for "who this card should be".

edit: oh I see Yeef and I had the same idea

And now they're paying for it.

OnPoint your card is terrible :p

The biggest problem I'm seeing is that designs like that make me feel like the design team isn't actually listening to what players are looking for.

Which isn't a problem in itself, if the designers are creating interesting things that players didn't know they were looking for. But that Ludevic card is hilarious. Like, I'm half-expecting some Conspiracy switch-around-type thing: "Just joking, THIS is the card".

I really hope MaRo addresses this in a blogatog. I'd be curious to hear his thoughts on it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They shoe-horned Ludevic into the card because they didn't have an answer for "who this card should be".

Generic Izzet guy would have worked just fine, to be honest. Conditional draw-a-card is the general Izzet ability they staple onto shit when they don't know what else to use, e.g. Jori-En.

I generally think Partner is a very poor mechanic, even in an EDH set, because you have to design all of the cards with the mechanic to be low quality just to get around the fact that having any kind of synergy between them would make the mechanic busted.

OnPoint

^^^ I agree with Grimace. Partner sucks ^^^

You and I like very different kinds of cards.

My card is still way more flavorful and playable than the crap they made Ludevic be.

Ashodin

This is how I think Ludevic should be.

1tVGf1J.png

But yeah they had to design the most generic shit for Partner so I'm not surprised.

However Akiri is my girl. Get in my Tajic deck, girl

Yeef

Partner is pretty great for cube. I actually had a similar idea for whenever I get around to building an EDH cube* (letting players have 2 commanders), but now that it's a thing that exists, I don't need to do that.

I've been planning to build an EDH cube for like 5 years now, but I don't like EDH, so I keep putting it off.

Hero

I feel like the Partner mechanic needed something in addition to how they implemented it.

Partner (what they currently have now as the text)

But then you have something like

If you control both of your partner creatures, this creature gains +2/+2.

Or anything, loot, vigilance, flying, etc, etc.

OnPoint

This is how I think Ludevic should be.

1tVGf1J.png

But yeah they had to design the most generic shit for Partner so I'm not surprised.

However Akiri is my girl. Get in my Tajic deck, girl

Yours is better than theirs, but flavorwise it's still all fucked up. 3/2 fliers in Innistrad are typically Delvers, not zombies. I also fail to see how dealing damage to a player reanimates it into a zombie. And source would mean something like a Lightning Bolt would make a zombie. OP and flavorfully wrong. Plus, he's not black in the CMC at all.

So I'd argue yours sucks :p

Ashodin

It's a skaab!

Edit: Also he's trying to extract information from the player to make zombies to have zombies extract information to search your library for better zombies.

OnPoint

It's a skaab!

Edit: Also he's trying to extract information from the player to make zombies to have zombies extract information to search your library for better zombies.

1. Skaabs are more Gerlaf's work.

2. Regarding your edit, then it should only create a zombie if Ludvic deals damage, not if "a source you control" does. Strikes me as the kind of guy who gets his hands dirty, so he'd get the info, then make the zombie. But also, it's just too powerful.

Ashodin

Hmm you might be right. Still better than what WOTC came up with :p

Also

c4rd4r7_3rXj1wUSCj.jpg

Why would she make herself etherium then retain her body shape? Do we really need Etherium Boobs?

It's like the art direction was "make a blonde naked lady. Then change it. Make her vital bits metal"

OnPoint

Also

[imghttp://media.wizards.com/2016/images/daily/c4rd4r7_3rXj1wUSCj.jpg[/img]

Why would she make herself etherium then retain her body shape? Do we really need Etherium Boobs?

It's like the art direction was "make a blonde naked lady. Then change it. Make her vital bits metal"

I agree it's better.

And I LOL'd at "etherium boobs".

I think Partner itself is fine and some of the Partner cards seem completely workable. It's just that some are so boring that I'm starting to wonder if this was intended so that many pairings would be one playable commander and one just there to add colours or some nonsense.

Also

c4rd4r7_3rXj1wUSCj.jpg

My first reaction is: Same reason we have boob armour. It's still my first answer but I can also see why someone might want to roughly maintain their original body shape.

Yes Partner makes for bad cards but a few cards slipped through and are considersbly strong. Most of them are niche and they haven't shown any yet that particularly synergise but Silas, Kondo, Reyhan, Kydele, Vial Smasher I would all consider strong with Tymna and Ravos being totally fine.

It's just the rest of them that totally suck so far.

I want White for Silas because of equipment so the options are a bit dire so far.

Ashodin

Well the only way I'd keep my body shape if I remade myself into Etherium would be because I wasn't comfortable with any other shape, or if I thought my shape was perfection.

Toxi

Banned
Esper's obsession with etherium is partly aesthetic. Most etherium enhancements we see are designed to be aesthetically pleasing rather than purely functional, because it's just as much about beauty as it is about practical value.

My first reaction is: Same reason we have boob armour. It's still my first answer but I can also see why someone might want to roughly maintain their original body shape.
Boob armor doesn't really work unless the armor is supposed to be primarily for looks in-universe.

Esper's obsession with etherium is partly aesthetic. Most etherium enhancements we see are designed to be aesthetically pleasing rather than purely functional, because it's just as much about beauty as it is about practical value.

Boob armor doesn't really work unless the armor is supposed to be primarily for looks in-universe.

Boob armour never works period. It's ridiculous.

bigkrev

CvuLKhTUsAAIrVQ.jpg
CvuLN9SVIAAZvOW.jpg
CvuLREcVYAAIEeD.jpg
Caves%2Bof%2BKoilos%2B%255BC16%255D.jpg

I would LOL at the shit filter lands except for the fact that the whole point of these is to NOT make them desireable to tournament players and make it harder for casuals to walk in and buy what they want.

Santiako

The INN check lands have actual value, and there are no enemy filter lands in that cycle

I know there'no enemy lands in that cycle, I mean full cycles of what exists, they could put 1 allied check, 1 enemy check, 1 allied pain, 1 enemy pain and 1 signetland in each deck.

New card (pic from MTGO)

tumblr_inline_ofntlhCGay1tzyc47_250.png

Very interesting effect, specially since you can do it at instant speed.

The logo is because of this: "You can find this beauty and other select cards from both Commander 2016 Edition and Conspiracy Take the Crown will be available through Magic Online Treasure Chests starting November 16."

A Wheel effect. This could go into Daretti.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom