• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

I LOVE Kynaios and Tiros, I almost cried seeing that card it's so beautiful, all the colour combinations I like (simic, gruul and bant, basically anything green) and gay kings drawn by Will Murai. It's my new favourite card.

I don't play EDH or commander, but I'm going to be buying that deck. I give them extra credit for the fact that the art shows two guys who are very clearly more than friends. Huge props to Blizzard for this one.

Ashodin

I don't play EDH or commander, but I'm going to be buying that deck. I give them extra credit for the fact that the art shows two guys who are very clearly more than friends. Huge props to Blizzard for this one.

The subtle hair playing is amazing.

And I love that it's an interracial couple as well. They really went the extra mile on them.

Ashodin

AMONKHET OUT

Wulfric

Sunglass Prairie is so pretty in black border.

Kynaios and Tiro are really cute together. I guess being 2/8 makes them power bottoms as well.

Allied painlands are the ones that need a reprint tho.

If anything can demonstrate just how much Magic has grown over the years, the fact that the painlands that were printed all to hell in just ages and ages of core sets over the years can go up to $15 now should do it.

Maledict

I'd like to pretend I was making a clever hearthstone joke, but the reality was I was at the end of a bottle of wine and rewrote the sentence a couple of times and somehow wizards became Blizzard. Oops!

Santiako

If the full cycles are in, there's probably 1 allied check, 1 enemy check, 1 allied pain, 1 enemy pain and 1 signetland in each deck.

BTW, I find the negative reaction to Partner kinda strange. It's a mechanic that encourages people to play decks with Commanders that are fun and do one reasonable thing apiece instead of ridiculous combo or prison or whatever broken stuff that people complained about from previous sets.

If the full cycles are in, there's probably 1 allied check, 1 enemy check, 1 allied pain, 1 enemy pain and 1 signetland in each deck.

That would certainly make sense for getting the manabases where they want, and nothing on that list is something they'd be likely to reprint in a Standard set anytime soon.

Firemind

BTW, I find the negative reaction to Partner kinda strange. It's a mechanic that encourages people to play decks with Commanders that are fun and do one reasonable thing apiece instead of ridiculous combo or prison or whatever broken stuff that people complained about from previous sets.
people will play partners so that they can play one partner and have access to a ridiculously broken card from another colour (see: kydele)

red13th

I only hope that with them reprinting a fuckton of rare lands in each deck doesn't keep them from putting other great rare reprints.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
people will play partners so that they can play one partner and have access to a ridiculously broken card from another colour (see: kydele)

I mean sure? But none of the partner commanders are particularly impressive on their own, and running a mediocre three color commander just to get access to those colors has always been a thing

Ashodin

I like Partner from a deckbuilding standpoint. There's a lot on offer there, and mix and matching seems like a lot of fun.

From a power-level standpoint, they're not the biggest guns on the table.

Firemind

I mean sure? But none of the partner commanders are particularly impressive on their own, and running a mediocre three color commander just to get access to those colors has always been a thing
two wrongs don't make a right

vial smasher for example will probably see play in duel commander with blue or green as an extra colour. being able to play force of will or become immense and deal 5/6 free damage is probably too good

two wrongs don't make a right

vial smasher for example will probably see play in duel commander with blue or green as an extra colour. being able to play force of will or become immense and deal 5/6 free damage is probably too good

Yeah, Vial Smasher seems really good for Duel Commander. Partner with green to get the benefits of ramp also. Blue for the benefits of counterspells.

There are also a lot of cards that have alternate castings costs such as exile a card from your hand, pay X life, Evoke, Dash, Cycling, etc. that will save your Mana but help out Vial Smashers ability.

Yeah, Vial Smasher seems really good for Duel Commander. Partner with green to get the benefits of ramp also. Blue for the benefits of counterspells.

There are also a lot of cards that have alternate castings costs such as exile a card from your hand, pay X life, Evoke, Dash, Cycling, etc. that will save your Mana but help out Vial Smashers ability.
Emerge maybe? Pay 2 to deal 7 and tap 4 with Elder Deep Fiend?

thrasiostritonhero.jpg

4: Scry 1, then reveal the top card of your library. If it's a land put it on the battlefield tapped. Otherwise draw a card.

Partner

Positively insane mana sink. I just found my Landfall commander. Now the question is just what other colours I want for it. I've long flirted with Sultai Landfall but red has more support for landfall than black and white has a decent amount as well.

Matriox

thrasiostritonhero.jpg

Positively insane mana sink. I just found my Landfall commander. Now the question is just what other colours I want for it. I've long flirted with Sultai Landfall but red has more support for landfall than black and white has a decent amount as well.

Insane mana sink indeed..

Also since I planned on making a partner edh deck I was curious about a few things. It may have already been said in here, but incase it wasn't ill say it anyways: commander tax for partners applies individually. So if one of the partners dies and you hadn't cast the other yet, the 2nd partner isnt taxed. Also, commander damage is based on the individual partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom