• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
A shame that Tinker is banned in Commander, it would be a great reprint in C16.
Tinker is never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever getting unbanned.

Oh you sweet summer child....

I don't even play EDH and know that it's among the most ridiculous cards ever and is super banned
Turn 1: Island, Sol Ring, pass

Turn 2: Blightsteel Colossus

2. He didn't actually work on this product, so him saying it's a fuck up, even internally, could cause problems of the office politics sort. Saying as much publicly would be even worse.

Yeah, I don't really think the "why doesn't Maro admit they fucked up" critique is really fair. How many games have a head of game design who posts a post-mortem on their last batch of products every year? He has to avoid shitting on stuff that's actively being promoted and avoid throwing anyone under the bus, which means for new products all he can do is admit to mistakes he personally made or explain reasoning behind choices.

I don't mind it outside of Ludevic. Most of old lore characters fit. I'd rather have a bunch of cards of old characters with a flavor dud or two than no cards of those characters.

This is actually the first notable miss in three years of printing previously acknowledged story characters in Commander sets, so honestly I think it's working plenty well enough to continue doing.

WotC's social media policies are so goddamn awful.

Blizzard isn't stopping its internal people from seeing "oh I think _____ would be a good HotS character/HS card/WoW Class!"

This is another real clear result of being this much of an older, legacy game. In 2002 or so when MTG was actually near the forefront of digital presence for a hobby game, that rule made perfect sense since the sources of online discussion were pretty thin while the chance of a lawsuit was non-zero. These days, though, you really need to be able to just read what people are saying and not worry about this shit.

Actually, upon consideration, one of the bigger problems with dropping it might just be that Rosewater is already so accessible that if it weren't for this rule people would just bombard him with stuff 24/7.

Firemind

Today in MTGO IS FUCKING GARBAGE

They have triple INN drafts for Haloween... But Memories Journey is currently bugged, and therefore not in boosters. This means that it is impossible to draft a Spider Spawning deck.
I just saw someone play Memories Journey last night.

So from the 4C commanders which do you think is strongest?

I think Saskia easily takes the cake but after her it gets a bit muddy. I don't think Ydris is particularly great, the Kings are too symmetrical, Breya is only going to be great in combo builds and Atraxa is going to be super annoying as a superfriends commander but little else.

He doesn't have haste nor protection and running counter magic works against cascade. He can also be straight up countered for no value compared to Wanderer. I don't think he'll light the world on fire.

Santiako

Love this card:

kCB1yYO1nV_EN.png

OnPoint

Wow. Just looking over the first decklist and it has: Chaos Warp, Past in Flames, Burgeoning, and Chromatic Lantern. They aren't fucking around with the reprints.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
o2WRDEC.png

I love cards like this. I hope that they allow a bit of goofiness to bleed back into the main sets outside of "haha look at how dumb goblins are"

bigkrev

Using MTGGoldfish, the 5 decks are all worth at least $100 when broken down, while group hug is worth $150. This product is going to TANK some prices.

So from the 4C commanders which do you think is strongest?

I think Saskia easily takes the cake but after her it gets a bit muddy. I don't think Ydris is particularly great, the Kings are too symmetrical, Breya is only going to be great in combo builds and Atraxa is going to be super annoying as a superfriends commander but little else.

Atraxa seems much better than that. "Proliferate every turn" has a ton of non obvious applications that will continue to be discovered for years. There are all kinds of counters that get way better if they go up every turn.

ultron87

o2WRDEC.png

*freeze frame*

Yep. That's me, tied up with a spiked pendulum quickly approaching me. You're probably wondering how I got into this mess...

red13th

They actually put Reveillark and Kalonian Hydra on the same deck. Yikes! Love that interaction, plus each card is around $10. I'm getting both for the neo-modern frame and stamp. Pretty large shopping list for this set.

So, how likely do we think it is for the decks commanders to become the names for the 4 colour combos? Will Jeskai Black become Breya? Will Four Color Aggro become Kynairo Aggro?

Barrage of cards:

Benefactor's Draught and Duelist's Heritage are both just awesome, straightforward new Commander designs.

Why are they worth so much, good reprints?

There's always going to be a certain unavoidable amount of value in the new cards as long as they're at all desirable since this is the only place to get them, and then the rest is just in solid, medium-value reprints of cards with few previous printings. Cards > $4 in each deck:

Entropic Uprising: Past in Flames, Chromatic Lantern, Burgeoning, Waste Not
Open Hostility: Iroas, God of Victory, Karplusan Forest
Stalwart Unity: Progenitor Mimic, Collective Voyage, Tempt with Discovery, Venser's Journal, Lurking Predators, Forbidden Orchard, Homeward Path
Breed Lethality: Scavenging Ooze, Ghave, Guru of Spores, Kalonian Hydra, Reveillark, Cauldron of Souls, Darkwater Catacombs
Invent Superiority: Baleful Strix, Hanna, Ship's Navigator, Master of Etherium, Solemn Simulacrum, Godo, Bandit Warlord

Plus they each have a bunch of random $1-$3 cards at current prices. They all price out at above $80 on mtggoldfish just on reprints. They've got the priced lists up on the site now: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/commander-2016-decklists

Anyway, they'll settle down to cover price, which means most of those higher-priced older cards are gonna tank.

So, how likely do we think it is for the decks commanders to become the names for the 4 colour combos? Will Jeskai Black become Breya? Will Four Color Aggro become Kynairo Aggro?

0% chance. Not-white, etc. still work much better.

Days of Future Future - Kaladesh. Nothing much of note here, I think, other than the fact that vehicles were very weak for much of development. Still, they did make multiple decks where Smuggler's Copter was the only vehicle, so even if they didn't realize it would be as strong as it was, they did identify it as a strong card.

PeGlvoEG4l_EN.png
MQZlOGSAzZ_EN.png

Evolutionary Escalation's art is pretty silly. With Frenzied Fugue, I'm surprised red is still getting temporary control of permanents instead of just creatures, since MaRo has said the Color Council he set up worked on this and he previously said red can't gain control of enchantments.

0% chance. Not-white, etc. still work much better.

Days of Future Future - Kaladesh. Nothing much of note here, I think, other than the fact that vehicles were very weak for much of development. Still, they did make multiple decks where Smuggler's Copter was the only vehicle, so even if they didn't realize it would be as strong as it was, they did identify it as a strong card.

PeGlvoEG4l_EN.png
MQZlOGSAzZ_EN.png

Evolutionary Escalation's art is pretty silly. With Frenzied Fugue, I'm surprised red is still getting temporary control of permanents instead of just creatures, since MaRo has said the Color Council he set up worked on this and he previously said red can't gain control of enchantments.

The art is great.

And yeah, Frenzied Fugue surprised me in that regard. It honestly doesn't feel very Red to me at all being able to hit everything. I highly doubt that kind of effect would get printed in a Standard product.

G.ZZZ

Love this card:

kCB1yYO1nV_EN.png

Instant speed, uncounterable colorless lay of the land that can also double as a mana producer T1 and dodge blood moon, shuffle for top/brainstorm.

This card is insane and i love it, i've long advocated for better mana searchers in colorless for basic lands that could be playable to help mana screw issues. This is an amazing design and will see play , sadly only sparely since it's legal only in very high power formats.

It makes sense for red to do this with creatures, artifacts, planeswalkers, even a little bit lands. Meanwhile, enchantments are gonna be the permanent type this is least relevant for in many cases. I'd guess the elegance of not having to say "non-enchantment permanent" every time is worth the little bit of bend here.

Instant speed, uncounterable colorless lay of the land that can also double as a mana producer T1 and dodge blood moon, shuffle for top/brainstorm.

And how great is this for Eldrazi manabases?

G.ZZZ

It makes sense for red to do this with creatures, artifacts, planeswalkers, even a little bit lands. Meanwhile, enchantments are gonna be the permanent type this is least relevant for in many cases. I'd guess the elegance of not having to say "non-enchantment permanent" every time is worth the little bit of bend here.

And how great is this for Eldrazi manabases?

Not sure, but it will probably see some play in lists splashing color, colorless probably won't want it. This card would've been played so much in modern, and high powered mana fixers should exist in any format imho, especially If they promote playing basics so that they're not auto fits everywhere

Also i just realized the red enchantment is basically 4 mana confiscate that give haste, hose SnT nicely too since it hit both omniscience and emrakul and off SnT it give you that permanent for 2 consecutive turns

EDIT: you can't aura a permanent off SnT. Was thinking of Oblivion rings effect sorry i'm dumb.

Santiako

People don't run nearly as much spot removal as they should on EDH, and then they get pissy when you kill them.

I run 1 StP, 1 PtE, 1 Anguished Unmaking, 1 Vindicate and 1 Utter End in my Alesha deck. It feels great to have an answer for everything in a pinch.

I had a guy chuckle at me when I used a Path and tell me "you should only run wraths" and then on my turn I killed him with Sun Titan+Fiend Hunter+Goblin Bombardment because he couldn't kill either at instant lol

Removal with one target are usually not great in multiplayer EDH, especially with random effects attached. I don't care if it hits enchantments.
Losing is usually not great in commander. A random permanent off the top is better than losing to Phenax + Eater of the Dead for instance and Chaos Warp gets rid of almost every combo piece.

Firemind

Losing is usually not great in commander. A random permanent off the top is better than losing to Phenax + Eater of the Dead for instance and Chaos Warp gets rid of almost every combo piece.
Play active cards instead of reactive cards. Besides, there's probably a blue player somewhere that doesn't want to lose either.

OnPoint

Oh? Apparently Fastbond is banned lol

Removal with one target are usually not great in multiplayer EDH, especially with random effects attached. I don't care if it hits enchantments.
It's better than you think.

Also y'all need to go over the EDH banned list in here I swear lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom