• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero

Chaos Warp is one of the best pieces of instant speed removal that Red has.

It's almost certainly better than Beast Within and Beast Within is a good card.

Can't believe the insane comments that get posted here.

MoxManiac

Oh? Apparently Fastbond is banned lol

Removal with one target are usually not great in multiplayer EDH, especially with random effects attached. I don't care if it hits enchantments.

Single target is not as good in multiplayer yes, but every commander deck should still have a couple good targeted removal. Chaos Warp is probably the best red has ever gotten and will get in that department.

MoxManiac

People don't run nearly as much spot removal as they should on EDH, and then they get pissy when you kill them.

I run 1 StP, 1 PtE, 1 Anguished Unmaking, 1 Vindicate and 1 Utter End in my Alesha deck. It feels great to have an answer for everything in a pinch.

I had a guy chuckle at me when I used a Path and tell me "you should only run wraths" and then on my turn I killed him with Sun Titan+Fiend Hunter+Goblin Bombardment because he couldn't kill either at instant lol

Meren is my favorite EDH commander, and my favorite deck. A lot of people say she's overpowered. That's probably true. But I would say that the reason she's so successful is because in my experience, she's allowed to stay on the board far longer than she should, lol.

Bandini

Meren is my favorite EDH commander, and my favorite deck. A lot of people say she's overpowered. That's probably true. But I would say that the reason she's so successful is because in my experience, she's allowed to stay on the board far longer than she should, lol.

She's a good, fair commander who benefits from a longer game. The deck also sometimes does ridiculous stuff really early in games as Reanimator decks do, so I guess that turns people off. At least she doesn't win on turn 2 or 3.

She and Daretti are my staples. Competitive, somewhat interactive decks that can produce some fun, back-and-forth games. I'd consider her Tier 2 in my playgroup; Mizzix, Narset, and Nekusar are all a lot stronger.

Joe Molotov

Crushed it with G/B Fabricate last night at draft. Didn't lose a game. I also rare-drafted a Torrential Gearhulk, and then cracked a Smug Copter and a foil Harnessed Lightning in my prize packs.

1x Prakhata Pillarbug
1x Renegade Freighter
1x Aetherborn Maurader
1x Dhund Operative
1x Maulfist Squad
1x Thriving Rats
1x Arborback Stomper
1x Armorcraft Judge
1x Cultivator of Blades
1x Elegant Edgecrafters
1x Fairground Trumpeter
1x Highspire Artisan
1x Peema Outrider
1x Sage of Shalia's Claim
1x Thriving Rhino
1x Wild Wanderer

1x Hunt the Weak
1x Durable Handicraft
1x Wildest Dreams
1x Die Young
1x Essence Extraction
1x Make Obsolete
1x Rush of Vitality
1x Prophetic Prism

9x Forest
7x Swamp

Removal with one target are usually not great in multiplayer EDH, especially with random effects attached. I don't care if it hits enchantments.

Chaos Warp is one of the first cards I add to any red Commander list. You're nuts.

People don't run nearly as much spot removal as they should on EDH, and then they get pissy when you kill them.

Yeah this is a real problem. It's another one of those "conventional wisdom" things that people repeat a lot but doesn't really hold up to scrutiny. Good spot removal can neutralize all the secondary threats in other decks, deliver huge tempo wins against their commanders when used tactically, and break up winning combos at key moments.

Firemind

Chaos Warp forces you to leave three mana open. That's a huge cost unless you're playing green. I mean, I see Swords to Plowshares all the time which is fine for its cost. But three mana when red has to be proactive to win, nah.

Firemind

You'd have a point if literally any other colour doesn't have better removal options. I mean, sure, if you play mono red but which idiot besides me plays mono red?

Chaos Warp forces you to leave three mana open. That's a huge cost unless you're playing green. I mean, I see Swords to Plowshares all the time which is fine for its cost. But three mana when red has to be proactive to win, nah.
StP doesn't get rid of altar of dementia while anafenza is on the stack.
You'd have a point if literally any other colour doesn't have better removal options. I mean, sure, if you play mono red but which idiot besides me plays mono red?
There's few universal removal options that don't care for indestructibility and regeneration at instant speed at a relatively low cost. It's not an auto include in every red EDH deck but it's always a consideration.

Do any of you care about Vintage or Legacy? It's Eternal weekend. Apparently just as expected, Paradoxical Outcome is making a big splash in Vintage. Legacy is tomorrow.

Violet_0

Banned
power-level wise, aside from the commander, the artifact decks looks the strongest though. Unfortunately artifacts decks all tend to look very similar

Reid Duke just hard cast Blightsteel Colossus and Hiromichi Ito followed up with Phyrexian Metamorph cloning Blightsteel Colossus. lol

Oh, and Fleetwheel Cruiser is the real deal.

bigkrev

Reid punted hard by using Top before Colossus forced him to shuffle his deck. He needed to attack in (forcing a trade) to shuffle before putting Top on the top of his deck

Firemind

I see we are at that part of the MTG thread cycle where Firemind talks nonsense :p
Well, yeah, I just beat a guy on MTGO who literally played four Bloodline Keepers in one game.

8408799-al-bundy-polk-high-850.jpg

Do any of you care about Vintage or Legacy? It's Eternal weekend. Apparently just as expected, Paradoxical Outcome is making a big splash in Vintage. Legacy is tomorrow.

I guess that justifies the 90 minutes Menendian spent talking about it on his podcast!

Is there coverage happening somewhere? I'm really curious what the format is looking like. Which type of deck is Paradoxical Outcome getting played in?

That was not the breakout vehicle I expected.

This is one of the ways that Vintage is a super-weird format. For an aggro artifact, the curve starts at {3} and goes up from there, so 4 mana stuff is eminently playable. The only other artifact that would get in for quick damage on turn one or come out of nowhere to nuke Planeswalkers later in the game at 4 mana was Slash Panther, which was already Vintage-playable at {4} + 2 life; this even has one extra power and toughness to work with.

WEGGLES

Placed 3rd at FNM this evening. First time making prize support. Really excited about that :).

Did it playing this deck:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/black-white-ally-life-steal-1/

Played a similar deck which gave me ideas for how to improve it. (trading out bladewhirls for more lantern scouts)

Not as excited about having to play against a dude they call salty steve. The guy played really sloppy, was really rude and had TERRIBLE table manners. What do you even do in that situation. He was very childish (lived up to his name I guess?). I like the shop I play at, but I don't know if I want to go back if it means possibly getting paired up with such an awful player. he was sloppy to the point that he'd activate a PW ability. start doing other shit and finish resolving the PW ability later. (for reference it was EMN tamiyo's -2). It wasn't just that he played sloppy/slow, it was his awful attitude.

That aside, I'm fairly new to magic but the commander 2016 stuff seems cool. Is that a good way to get into commander? What's the MSRP on commander decks like that? (specifically does the Yidris deck seem playable? The plan is for a few of us at work to each get a different Commander 2016 deck when they release).

That aside, I'm fairly new to magic but the commander 2016 stuff seems cool. Is that a good way to get into commander? What's the MSRP on commander decks like that? (specifically does the Yidris deck seem playable? The plan is for a few of us at work to each get a different PW deck when they release).

MSRP is $34.99. They're good for getting into Commander.

R&D aren't allowed to see custom cards which means they're locked off from the best places to get info -- like, nobody in R&D could read this thread because you fools keep posting random fake cards everywhere.

I feel strongly that this is not a thing. Social media and community policies are a thing, but they are a safeguard against litigation, not a rule by which your developers interact with the world.

Under my own contract, I am sure that I am also not allowed to accept unsolicited "Game Ideas", but I happily and eagerly sift through NeoGaf forums etc.

I don't mean to be pedantic, I just feel the need to say that Wizards devs do and will always scroll through relevant discussion forums.

I feel strongly that this is not a thing. Social media and community policies are a thing, but they are a safeguard against litigation, not a rule by which your developers interact with the world.

It totally is. Nobody in WotC R&D participates regularly on Reddit, or has an active forum-posting profile -- hell, they didn't even when WotC actually had their own forums. They're not allowed to stream, they're required to put goofy tags in their posts and ask permission of legal to discuss even fairly prosaic things. By virtue of having to avoid card designs, they also avoid a lot of the more fruitful discussions people have about game design and ways to improve the game in a broader fashion. The concept that Maro doesn't really know what people want until they actively bring it to him (by posting to Blogatog, more than anything else) actually applies to everyone there, more or less.

Like, sure, I understand that this kind of policy can't, deep down, actually keep people from looking at websites or even reading forbidden material, but it shapes what your public, visible online participation is allowed to look like, and by doing so, reduces how much you can actually keep up with what the audience is doing.

Wulfric

Just traded some standard walkers for Engineered Explosives, so glad I'm not paying out of pocket for that card. It's ridiculously overpriced for what it essentially sideboard tech. Sadly it seems the modern PPTQ season is over around here. Now it's only sealed and standard. I really wanted to use that card. :(

It totally is. Nobody in WotC R&D participates regularly on Reddit, or has an active forum-posting profile -- hell, they didn't even when WotC actually had their own forums. They're not allowed to stream, they're required to put goofy tags in their posts and ask permission of legal to discuss even fairly prosaic things. By virtue of having to avoid card designs, they also avoid a lot of the more fruitful discussions people have about game design and ways to improve the game in a broader fashion. The concept that Maro doesn't really know what people want until they actively bring it to him (by posting to Blogatog, more than anything else) actually applies to everyone there, more or less.

Like, sure, I understand that this kind of policy can't, deep down, actually keep people from looking at websites or even reading forbidden material, but it shapes what your public, visible online participation is allowed to look like, and by doing so, reduces how much you can actually keep up with what the audience is doing.

Well yeah. It's pretty well established that WotC/Hasbro Legal is overly cautious even by corporate legal department standards. I mean, I can't entirely fault them for bright line rules since that makes it much much easier to avoid legal trouble. It's just that it almost certainly harms the game.

#5 is an Eldrazi list with no Power. ;)

Yeah, Menendian's been talking about this for probably like six months at this point -- the tribal Eldrazi deck is synergistic enough, and the Eldrazi-specific ramp effects so good in this particular deck, that the power doesn't actually add that much. It's kind of ideal inasmuch as it's a truly competitive Vintage deck with no power, but not so good as to be dominant or anything. Definitely goes to show how completely absurd the Eldrazi are though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom