• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we have better writing in our games, please?

Lime

I want a game written by Ta-Nehisi Coates or Cormac McCarthy.

Actually, I wish the games industry would do what Marvel did by getting Coates to pen Black Panther.

Mesoian

Two of the most boring games I've played this gen. Pushing the stick forward and pressing A is not what I want from gaming. These aren't games to me.
I don't need a good story, I need good gameplay. Like DOOM for example.

The point is, you should be asking for both and you should be thirsty for a game that does both in the same package.

Servbot24

Banned
I honestly don't expect any game to have great writing unless someone who is highly talented at both writing and game design is given Kojima-like control over an entire project. Otherwise there are just too many production twists and turns waiting to happen.

Also, I'll call out that "writing" is incredibly broad. In my case I'm referring to narrative composition.

Study the entire Witcher franchise. Writing doesn't get better than that.

This post makes me want to cry.

lol the games industry has shown repeatedly in the last 20 years that it has no problem throwing millions of dollars at motion capture, voice acting, scripted setpieces, tacked-on multiplayer modes, cutscenes, state-of-the-art graphical effects, and on and on, but somehow most publishers just cheap out and put the intern to pen the story.

The dialogue and voice acting might be better than the usual tripe, but the events and character development are pretty supbar and ultimately meaningless. The game didn't even care about its core premise (escaping a partner with Alzheimer's)
Yeah I'm talking about the dialogue specifically.

Humdinger

Gold Member
I find the notion that if you don't like the premise of a game it can't be well written to be incredibly bizarre, myself. Good writing can exist in an otherwise absurd context, just as bad writing can exist in an otherwise compelling scenario.

Good point. I'm a big fan of Uncharted's characterization and dialog, plotting and pacing. I think they do all that very well, for the genre they are in, and regardless of how absurd the scenarios are -- and actually, absurd scenarios are actually a part of this genre's heritage ... think Indiana Jones ... they aren't meant to be realistic.

It's probably been mentioned before but this list is sorely missing Oxenfree. It's easily my top game of this year. Fantastic writing, sound design (seriously some of the best in gaming in many years), characters, story, unique gameplay mechanics (that even incorporate into the plot), etc. etc.
Oxenfree is so damn good.

Yes, I'd vote for Oxenfree, too. Really nicely done, especially for such a small team.

Didn't see it mentioned, but Tales from the Borderlands is amazingly well written.

Agree with that as well. Throw TWD Season 1 in there, too, and Life is Strange (although the dialog could be hella cringey at points).

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I couldn't finish Oxenfree cause I hated all the characters so damn much, especially the girl you played as. The writing was just bad. The entire game tried to have some sort of somber, spooky atmosphere and then you have your character spouting snarky wit at every opportunity. I guess I wasn't supposed to take anything serious maybe?

Innolis

I wouldn't know what "good" writing constitutes but I am disappointed with the caliber of the stories this generation.

They are generally super boring or super predictable or in some cases not there at all.

Perhaps I have bad taste but to me both Xenosaga and Xenogears have some of the best stories in all of gaming and I'd love to have more stories of that caliber on my games (this is just me, but I enjoy complex / convoluted stories more than I do linear / regular ones).

Black Ops 3 story for instance I super liked...

Lime

The fault also lies with reviewers and perhaps gamer culture more broadly. Critics are fine with shitting on Mafia 3 despite its great characters and interesting story, yet they have no problem handing out 9's, applause, and GOTYs to Rise of the Tomb Raider, which has without a doubt one of the worst narratives of this generation, if not all time.

I don't think it's possible for a game to be widely considered to have as good of writing as other forms of entertainment.

Not that it's impossible for games to have good writing, just that the gaming public will never consider them to be as good, even if they truly are.

...reviewers and perhaps gamer culture more broadly. Critics are fine with shitting on Mafia 3 despite its great characters and interesting story, yet they have no problem handing out 9's, applause, and GOTYs to Rise of the Tomb Raider, which has without a doubt one of the worst narratives of this generation, if not all time...

Have to agree here, as I mentioned in an earlier post.

Also, with respect to "gaming culture" more broadly, I think Steven Poole's thoughts on MGSV are worth considering, as I mentioned elsewhere.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
A game writer friend has some thoughts:
That sounds awful.

The part about a writer trying to communicate context to the actor seems like it was backed up by an AMA that Jennifer Hale and a few other VAs did on Reddit a week or two ago. She said that almost all of her lines are cold reading, with no context given whatsoever, so it's extremely difficult to tell how they should be saying their lines.

Ekai

I couldn't finish Oxenfree cause I hated all the characters so damn much, especially the girl you played as. The writing was just bad. The entire game tried to have some sort of somber, spooky atmosphere and then you have your character spouting snarky wit at every opportunity. I guess I wasn't supposed to take anything serious maybe?

Full stop: Couldn't disagree with you anymore than I possibly could. Alex was fantastic. And depending on how you played her, it massively changed the direction of dialogue. Especially since how the characters behave both towards you and each other and their very endings themselves rely entirely on how you play as Alex. There's a very serious side to her and a witty side to her. They come together at times to create a full person trying to weather the storm that is...well, Oxenfree. The whole thing was taken with such a poised combination of well-concocted drama revolving around such themes as *SPOILERS* and *SPOILERS* with a pitch perfect warping of realistic, clever, funny and at times heart-wrenching dialogue. It's easily some of the smoothest flowing dialogue in gaming. It was supposed to be taken seriously and at parts as a comedy and it balanced both perfectly. It's such a fantastically unique game. This isn't even getting into it's top-notch sound design, art direction, unique gameplay elements that incorporate directly into the plot (massive spoilers to explain) etc. etc that all help in telling the story. I'm sorry you couldn't see/enjoy it.

There is such a thing as juxtaposition in...well, any media form. And Oxenfree explored that in it's attitude. It'd be like getting angry at a movie like say....Evil Dead for having serious down time mixed in with the light silliness. Or saying that Tears for Fears "Mad World" is a bad song because it's so upbeat yet has such depressing lyrics. Oxenfree is similar in the sense that it's a whirlwind of different expressions in emotion. It does however have cohesive ties within all of the ways it expresses itself and overarching themes that, for me, ring on a personal level. It's not chaos for chaos's sake. (Not that I felt like Oxenfree was even chaotic, mind you) Like Mad World, it has a point.

Diamond

A game writer friend has some thoughts:

Thanks for sharing this. Would be curious to know which games your friend has worked on!

I think people that try to think a little bit more about the problem realize it's not an easy task. And realizing it's not easy makes you appreciate even more the good number of games that still manage to get things right. The funny thing is that they can get things right in widly different manners. A Planescape is a totally different beast than a Metal Gear, but they both manage to do interesting things that couldn't be done in another medium. I'm more and more under the impression that some people are waiting for something extremely specific when they say "good writing", and in doing so, they probably won't ever be satisfied.

Dubz

I'm guessing that good writers are busy writing novels, movies, and TV shows. Probably getting paid a hell of a lot more too.

Also, with respect to "gaming culture" more broadly, I think Steven Poole's thoughts on MGSV are worth considering, as I mentioned elsewhere.

For example, in relation to a point of contention from earlier in the thread:
...Good writing can exist in an otherwise absurd context, just as bad writing can exist in an otherwise compelling scenario. Lots of people can't separate whether they like a game, a character, or a genre from whether they like the writing...
...For example, I consider games like Half-Life or Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare to have some of the best writing in the medium — because even though they don't present complex stories of interpersonal relationships that "resonate with adults", they do just what they set out to do. And it works really really well in the end...
Gotta say, playing CoD: Infinite Warfare's campaign and while the core story is pretty typical militaristic nonsense, the actual dialogue and camaraderie between your sortie of shipmates is wholly believable and impressively directed and captured throughout. Was actually quite surprised and is partly responsible for keeping me fully engaged...
...It has some bright moments, but it falls apart if you look at the bigger picture. You just can't make a serial killer nonsense simulator, and then make me care about the personal struggles of its characters... it needs a context and some interconnection between what happens in the cut scenes and what you play...

Poole writes:
https://thepointmag.com/2015/criticism/metal-gear-solid-v

...Yet while Kojima’s games are berserk in many ways, they are not the standard kind of first-person shooter in which thousands of indistinguishable enemy grunts (always Middle Eastern or Russian) die at the point of the player’s phallic rifle... In their dynamic procedure as well as their scripted rhetoric, Kojima’s games are stealthily anti-war war games. In contrast to the fairground bullet-shower of the billion-grossing Call of Duty series (the equivalent in war-themed video games of Michael Bay movies)... The player may thus feel dirty and guilty for doing what is mere routine in other games. As well as in other art forms: MGSV’s emphasis on fanatical caution and planning, as well as the humane neutralizing of enemies, works too as an implicit rebuke to gung-ho war movies—in particular, in this case, the Afghanistan-set Rambo III (1988), whose hero deals very differently with the Soviet occupation...

MGSV: Ground Zeroes (2013) saw the hero tasked with rescuing prisoners from a CIA “black site” prison in Cuba... visually the camp was obviously Guantánamo: the prisoners were dressed in orange jumpsuits, some with hoods over their heads and the victims of torture... at one moment, the games will clownishly revel in the clichés of the form; the next moment they will deconstruct those very clichés and force the player to confront real suffering... What Metal Gear Solid is satirizing in particular—almost uniquely for high-budget blockbuster products in this medium, or for that matter in cinema and TV—is so omnipresent in most modern fiction that it almost escapes notice. It is what I have called national-security ideology. Its key tenets are familiar: the enemy is fanatical and unreasonable, while Western government operatives are empathetic heroes; killing civilians with drones is just regrettable “collateral damage” in a righteous mission against the irrational fanatics (as in season three of the TV series Homeland); and torture always works to elicit time-critical information, as in Zero Dark Thirty (2012), Homeland, and of course 24...

In the newest game the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan is explained to the player in ways that make the parallels with the later American adventure there inescapable. Briefings on (virtual) audiocassette explain that the army of the USSR has invaded in order to counteract “the spread of Islamic revivalism,” and that “Afghanistan has become the Soviet Union’s Vietnam.” Knowing nods to the present day are littered subtly everywhere: in the TV-style opening cast list for the game’s “episodes,” there is a credit for “Enemy Combatants”: a phrase familiar from the Bush-Cheney government’s rhetorical creativity in attempting to avoid acknowledging any “prisoners of war” to whom duties of care would be owed under the Geneva Conventions. Here, the “Enemy Combatants” are the Soviet soldiers, but the casting note works to plant a seed of ambivalence in the player’s attitude towards them...

In the past, the series has had as its satirical targets global conspiracy theories, terrorism scares, and modern military Keynesianism, according to which increased defense spending promotes economic growth—Metal Gear Solid 4 (2008) was all about “private military contractors” and the “war economy,” and had the player buy upgraded weapons from a cynically wisecracking arms dealer named Drebin. The hero of all the games, Snake, is always caught up in the madness of a war-obsessed world. Reluctantly, he must make more war to try to stop it... the film Zero Dark Thirty, for example, was predicated on the idea—promoted by insider “consultants” to the movie—that U.S. torture of prisoners resulted in actionable intelligence. (A canard that has been repeatedly refuted.) Some media critics considered this objectionable, yet the conversation was conducted respectfully. An art-film blockbuster can get things wrong, but it is still considered a serious contribution to such debates. A video game is not... Hideo Kojima’s games notoriously combine sharp reflections on contemporary political themes (The Phantom Pain concerns itself at length with issues of nuclear proliferation) with overscripted, didactic longueurs... Yet as a cultural figure Kojima may be... someone who first introduces a player or reader to the iniquities perpetrated in modern history by the “good” guys. In a still-young medium whose most successful products are deeply conservative, he insists that video games can and should convey critical arguments about international relations and jus in bello...

Atomski

I've been bitching about game stories forever.. I'm to the point id rather listen to a audio book while enjoying some gameplay.

I think the big problem is just ai.. it's an interactive medium restricted by a non interactive medium. I want unique experiences where the game reacts to your play style and such. Instead we just get subpar Hollywood action flick stories that are already really lo on the totem pole.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Just give Amy Hennig all the writing jobs.

I would prefer it if most games had no story instead of trying to shoehorn awful writing just for the sake of being able to boast "hey this game has a story". I'm always surprised if I actually like a game's story.

game play is far more important to me. I would rather company save money on cinematic and just focus on core game play. Games are getting so expensive to make and take so long to make as it is. If there is a story in the game then yes I wish it is a good one but I have never had problem with the story much.

Azzanadra

I agree that game stories aren't the best the could be, especially because interactivity allows for greater potential in this medium. Bioshock, for example, is probably one of my favorite stories in anything because of how it does something that could uniquely be only achieved in a game. Jonathan Nolan (brother of Chris Nolan and current showrunner of Westworld) even called it “amongst the most literate and thoughtful pieces of entertainment I’ve seen in the last ten years.”.

I also finished Wolfenstein: The New Order recently and it was surprisingly well-written. One of the things that made it so I think was the convenience of its villains, most games make efforts to or not at all to create a villain that you absolutely hate or one that you can understand, but with Wolfenstein, well there fucking Nazis, watching them do all these horrific things in the games evoked a hatred I hat not felt for fictional villains since Joffrey. It really created that motivation for the player to want to stop these monsters and kill them in the most brutal/outlandish ways possible.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I feel frustrated by the current state of writing in games.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of a few examples of recent games with good writing:

1. Undertale, which is funny and charming.
2. Tyranny, which has some good writing, but also suffers from some bad voice acting and a little bit of upfront lore bloat.
3. Firewatch - adult themes, and an interesting narrative about a depressed man. It's tightly written, and I think easily has some of the best writing in recent years.
4. Inside. No actual spoken or written words, but the story and themes on display are extremely interesting, and I feel like I should mention it here.

And that's about all that comes to mind...

So why are novelistic, well-written games like Firewatch so scarce? Whyaren't there more games about human adults with adult problems?

Is there a source of well-written games that I am just missing? Are there some gems on twine that I should play?
The writing in A Night in the Woods is amazeballs. It's really punchy and pithy without being pretentious.

I don't necessarily even see this as case of "narrative versus gameplay"

If somebody has an interest in writing a good story, they... well, write it. They get a career as a novelist or whatever. They publish books. If you want to tell your story visually, you become a film maker. You get a camera and hire your friends and direct them.

Very few people say, "I want to tell a good story!" and then start making a video game.

It's always the other way around -- games like Crysis, or Gears of War, or heck, even Half-Life start out as games first and then a writer is brought in to flesh out characters and the world. But it's always felt to me like writers are never really part of the game design process, they're always this separate entity that operates in parallel to the development team, and when the development team changes something, the writer has to bend to their will, not the other way around.

There are exceptions to those rules, but they are usually kind of niche things. Important none-the-less in their own way, sure, but all I'm saying is that if somebody wants to tell a story, there are a lot "better" more established avenues than video games.

DevilDog

You need more BioWare in your life.

They have fallen a bit the past few years but they're still great. Hoping andromeda can take them back to their former glory.

The mass effect trilogy and Dragon age origins have some of the best writing you'll ever see.

But yeah, gaming has been plagued by bad, terrible writing since the beginning, and has attracted the corresponding people. I only care about gameplay, I skip cutscenes, I don't care about bad writing or even love the bad writing.

Top Bottom