• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3ds transfer to new 3ds is it really that easy?

LoveCake

I have an original day one Nintendo 3DS, but the A button seems to be playing up, I have in the past changed the trigger buttons but the left seems to be on it's way out again, I think I have basically wore it out, I don't really want to buy a new 3DS but as it's time is drawing to an end, I know there has been no official announcement but I am going to have to get one to continue playing Animal Crossing: New Leaf (love this game & will play till the day I die) I don't know what I will do when I ultimately can no longer play New Leaf due to 3DS failure & no longer able to get replacements.

So today I have been looking about at how to transfer data from an old 3DS to a new 3DS & it seems pretty straightforward, but is it really that simple, really?

I have my NNID on it tied to my WiiU, I have a fair few digital games on the SD & also all the Ambassador games, my SD card is a whatever the fastest at the time was 32 GB, are there any risks or problems that people have encountered with games, saves or anything, as I am worried that something will happen
wuwXlbu.gif

Would it be better to wait until Nintendo sorts out their new account system also?

Do people think there will be any further 3DS versions released in the coming year/s?

I think there is a fair amount of life left in my 3DS but want to be prepared to make the switch to a new 3DS when the time comes, it just seems to be too easy & foolproof from what I have read.

BiggNife

The transfer is quick and painless if you do the PC transfer method.

If you do the wireless transfer be prepared to wait a while. I've heard it takes upwards of 4 hours.

BiggNife

It does depend on your data and connection. Took me under half an hour.

That's fair, I'm just going with what I've heard from other people. I personally did the PC transfer and it was pretty quick and easy.

PC transfer seems like the best way to do it. Wireless transfer takes longer and you risk corrupting data if the wireless connection gets interrupted.

gblues

Banned
I had to do the wireless transfer method because I haven't got an SD card reader. Took a few hours, but everything transferred over no problem.

brinstar

If you have a 32GB in your current 3DS you'll need a microSD 32GB for the N3DS. From there it's pretty simple. I've gone from launch 3DS -> 3DSXL -> N3DSXL with no issues.

Yeah, it's really easy. It takes a long time though (probably because I have a ton of digital games I'd imagine).
Afaik, you can't transfer the ambassador games.
I think you just have re-download them. Someone else can confirm. I know I had all my Ambassador games, not sure if they came over in the transfer or if I had to re-download them. It might be the former actually.

OraleeWey

Nintendo has some weird hard to understand licensing. So what happens if you don't transfer your license (or whatever) to a new 3DS? Is that old system forever locked with your Nintendo ID (or whatever)?

PtM

Banned
Nintendo has some weird hard to understand licensing. So what happens if you don't transfer your license (or whatever) to a new 3DS? Is that old system forever locked with your Nintendo ID (or whatever)?
Yes, even if you delete your disc data. Same goes for a plain eshop account, if I recollect correctly. Maybe. I dunno.

There's also an option to burn both for good.

OraleeWey

Yes, even if you delete your data. Same goes for a plain eshop account, if I recollect correctly.
So I wouldn't be able to log in to my account on a new 3DS if I didn't transfer?

Annnnd, can I log out of my Nintendo ID without transferring so I can use it on a new 3DS?

PtM

Banned
So I wouldn't be able to log in to my account on a new 3DS if I didn't transfer?

Annnnd, can I log out of my Nintendo ID without transferring so I can use it on a new 3DS?
Nintendo customer service (at least the Americas') can link your NNID to a new console, as long as you haven't deleted it.

The process is a pain, and it is pretty confusing for some people. You will need a screwdriver for New 3DSXL. I've done it twice.

The first transfer was from 3DSXL to New 3DSXL. The instructions for PC based transfer seemed pretty convoluted, so I chose Wireless transfer. Do not pick that option, because it took me about 3-4 hours.

The second time was from New 3DSXL to New 3DSXL, and it was really strange. I was planning to save time by selecting the PC based transfer option. I did the transfer outside of my home, and for some reason the transfer finished very quickly (about 20-30 minutes). I was glad that it was quick, though I have a question.

I am wondering why the option select didn't appear during the second transfer. Can anyone tell me why?

PtM

Banned
The process is a pain, and it is pretty confusing for some people. You will need a screwdriver for New 3DSXL. I've done it twice.

The first transfer was from 3DSXL to New 3DSXL. The instructions for PC based transfer seemed pretty convoluted, so I chose Wireless transfer. Do not pick that option, because it took me about 3-4 hours.

The second time was from New 3DSXL to New 3DSXL, and it was really strange. I was planning to save time by selecting the PC based transfer option. I did the transfer outside of my home, and for some reason the transfer finished very quickly (about 20-30 minutes). I was glad that it was quick, though I have a question.

I am wondering why the option select didn't appear. Can anyone tell me why?
Because there's no SD-vs-microSD conflict.

Because there's no SD-vs-microSD conflict.
Yep, this. In my original 3DS I was using a micro sd with a standard SD adaptor, so transferring to the new 3ds was incredibly easy. You really just transfer the licenses and then pop the card into the other system

ohlawd

Yes, it is, though it takes a while. Did it wirelessly, though

I transferred the stuff on my bro's 3DS. he only had about 2 gigs of data and it still took forever to do it wirelessly. if I did that to my old 32 gig, I can't even imagine

fernoca

Yep, this. In my original 3DS I was using a micro sd with a standard SD adaptor, so transferring to the new 3ds was incredibly easy. You really just transfer the licenses and then pop the card into the other system
Yep.
-Around December 2014 I called Nintendo to get my account activated on a 2DS I bought. Less than 30 minutes later everything was set.

-Around Summer 2015 I transfered everything on the 2DS to a new 3DSXL. Since the 2DS already had a micro SD (inside an SD adapter), chose the PC option and it took under 15 minutes. Then just swapped the 64GB Card from one to the other.

So it is a relatively easy and fast process in general. It is quite slow if you do a full wireless transfer. For wireless there's also a partial transfer that takes less time as it doesn't transfer the games.

LoveCake

So it looks like I am going to have to get a new 3DS :( the (A) button is really starting to play up now, I have been having a look about and it seems that the regular 'new' 3DS is more expensive then the 3DSXL and it's hard to get hold of for some reason, so it seems that I am going to have to go for the 3DSXL (the metallic blue) seems to be the only ones available at a reasonable price £179.99.

A couple of questions, is there anything that I should be looking out for on the 'new' 3DSXL regarding issues/problems?

Also the 'new' 3DSXL uses microSD and my original 3DS uses the normal SD card, on the Nintendo site it says:

Is the SD Card data also transferred?
The data on the source system’s SD Card is not transferred. However, once the transfer is complete you may immediately remove the SD Card from the original system and use it in the new system that you have just transferred your data to.

This is not true though! so how do I transfer my data on the SD to a microSD card, just drag and drop on my PC from the SD to a microSD?

What happens to the SD Card of the target system?

By carrying out a system transfer, certain data saved on the target system’s SD Card may become redundant, and any data that can no longer be used due to the transfer will be deleted. As such, the SD Card becomes free for use elsewhere, for example, in the source system. If you have moved photographs or sound files from the target system's main memory to the inserted SD Card, this data will not be deleted and can still be used once the transfer is complete.

So I have to leave the SD in my original 3DS when doing the transfer, but do I have to have a microSD card in the 'new' 3DSXL when doing the transfer, if so then how do I move the data on my (original 3DS) to the microSD on my 'new' 3DSXL, if I just drag and drop I could be doubling up on something?

Why didn't Nintendo just use SD on the new 3DS's instead of microSD?

I don't know what to do in regards of transferring the SD card data!

LoveCake

I have just been reading though the guide above.

On this page https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...Bx4DV5zb5oBTXbcKTVDVjMc0Bl8GQgvw/formResponse it says the following:

You currently have a Nintendo 3DS or 2DS system and you wish to transfer your data to a New Nintendo 3DS system. You have prepared a larger MicroSD card which you are not using in your current system yet, and you have a MicroSD to SD adapter.

Make sure you do not attach a Nintendo Network ID to your new system.

Start using your new and bigger MicroSD card in your current system before doing the transfer to make the system transfer process to your new system easier. Do this by copying the contents of your current SD card to a folder on your pc, and then copying the contents from that folder to your new MicroSD. Then, by using the MicroSD to SD card adapter, start using this MicroSD in your current 3DS.

Once you have your New Nintendo 3DS system, simply start the transfer process as usual. At a certain point during the transfer process, you will be asked the question “Are you using an SD card or miniSD card with your system?". Choose 'No', because you're using a MicroSD card.

When the transfer is completed, simply take out the MicroSD out of your original 3DS and put it in the New Nintendo 3DS.* Done!

* Be aware that a Phillips #0 screwdriver is required to access the MicroSD card of the New Nintendo 3DS.

So am I understanding this correctly?

I get a microSD card, take out my SD card and copy the entire contents to the microSD then put the microSD in a adaptor and put it back into my original 3DS, check that all is working, then do the system transfer as explained on the Nintendo site, then take out the microSD card (inside adaptor) and insert it in my 'new' 3DSXL?

So am I understanding this correctly?

I get a microSD card, take out my SD card and copy the entire contents to the microSD then put the microSD in a adaptor and put it back into my original 3DS, check that all is working, then do the system transfer as explained on the Nintendo site, then take out the microSD card (inside adaptor) and insert it in my 'new' 3DSXL?

That is correct.

LoveCake

That is correct.

Thank you, just to confirm this is the correct video guide

I will get a microSD card next week and copy the data to it and then use it in an adaptor in my current 3DS until I get my new 3DSXL/small then just before I do the transfer I will back-up the data onto my desktop just to be safe, but I will just take out my microSD from my original and put it in my new 3DSXL/small.

Question about DSiWare titles, I cannot remember if I have any :/ where it says:
24. If the system has Nintendo DSiWare titles, select "Move" to move the titles to system memory.
Does this mean that the original 3DS will send the DSiWare title/game to the 3DSXL during the transfer or will I have to re-download the title/game?

I have all the Ambassador games and also all of the Streetpass games as well.

I am probably worrying about nothing, but I don't want to screw anything up, I tend to worry about things like this :/

This is the microSD I was looking at getting:
d7wkK0q.png

Thank you, just to confirm this is the correct video guide

I will get a microSD card next week and copy the data to it and then use it in an adaptor in my current 3DS until I get my new 3DSXL/small then just before I do the transfer I will back-up the data onto my desktop just to be safe, but I will just take out my microSD from my original and put it in my new 3DSXL/small.

Question about DSiWare titles, I cannot remember if I have any :/ where it says:
24. If the system has Nintendo DSiWare titles, select "Move" to move the titles to system memory.
Does this mean that the original 3DS will send the DSiWare title/game to the 3DSXL during the transfer or will I have to re-download the title/game?

I have all the Ambassador games and also all of the Streetpass games as well.

I am probably worrying about nothing, but I don't want to screw anything up, I tend to worry about things like this :/

This is the microSD I was looking at getting:
d7wkK0q.png
i would reccomend something else,, read speeds are a bit too slow , i would reccomend a micro sd card with atleast 70MB read speed

edit: actually i got it mixed up with another card that was slower

If you are using the same SD card, it's super easy and painless. The PC transfer method is also fairly easy, if you are switching SD cards this is what I would recommend. Direct transfer takes forever, and there is a greater chance of something going wrong. Best to not use that method.

Where did you get that it's a slow card? SanDisk Extreme are fast. This one is 90MB/s (if it's the same as this)

I think this one for half the price makes more sense though.

maybe i saw the wrong one on amazon

yeah i was mistaken, got it confused with this model https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00M55BS8G/

yeah i use the evo pro model of that card and it has the same read/write speeds, and works fine on my n3ds
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WR4IJBE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

LoveCake

If you are using the same SD card, it's super easy and painless. The PC transfer method is also fairly easy, if you are switching SD cards this is what I would recommend. Direct transfer takes forever, and there is a greater chance of something going wrong. Best to not use that method.

Yes I am going to have to change SD cards as the one I am using in my original 3DS is the regular sized SD not the microSD, I suppose I should really back up the data anyway every so often.

I am going to copy my data to a microSD and use it in an adaptor for a while first before I decide on which 3DS model to get, my (A) button has been working ok today.

Where did you get that it's a slow card? SanDisk Extreme are fast. This one is 90MB/s (if it's the same as this)

I think this one for half the price makes more sense though.

I was looking at various SD cards, I looked on the Nintendo site and they recommended various ones including the Extreme + and also Pro, I was going to go for the Extreme over the Ultra which is £5 cheaper.

LoveCake

It is easy, just takes a long while to complete, especially via wireless.

I am going to go for the PC way of doing it from what has been said, I am not sure how much data I have really, but I don't want anything to get messed up, so am going to put my data on a microSD then use it in an adaptor in my current 3DS until I decide on what to get version-wise and also when my (A) button really causes issues.

LoveCake

It is really easy
Just be sure to know where your SD card is micro or standard sized

I have an original 3DS and I put in a normal (big) SD card in when I got it, I think it's a 32GB, I have not yet taken it out to check, I am getting a 32GD microSD next week sometime and will use it in my current 3DS with an adaptor until I decide on what to do.

DarkKyo

So I just got a New 3DS XL for Christmas(the lime green one with SMW pre-installed). My question is, are you stuck with the SD card that you do the original transfer with? It looks like this comes with a 4 GB SD card and I would definitely like to trade up to a higher size card sometime soon. Can I do the transfer now with the 4GB card and then switch up to a 32GB one later this week when I have a chance to buy one? Or should I just wait until I get the new card to do the transfer? I'd love to start playing stuff today but I can wait until later this week if its worth doing so.

So I just got a New 3DS XL for Christmas(the lime green one with SMW pre-installed). My question is, are you stuck with the SD card that you do the original transfer with? It looks like this comes with a 4 GB SD card and I would definitely like to trade up to a higher size card sometime soon. Can I do the transfer now with the 4GB card and then switch up to a 32GB one later this week when I have a chance to buy one? Or should I just wait until I get the new card to do the transfer? I'd love to start playing stuff today but I can wait until later this week if its worth doing so.

You can upgrade the card later, just copy/move all the files to the new card.

DarkKyo

You can upgrade the card later, just copy/move all the files to the new card.

Very cool, thanks! So the most important part of the move is making sure your initial files and Nintendo ID move over to the new system, which I think will work fine since both systems are using the stock card(so my old card limit won't exceed the new card limit).

Top Bottom