• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3DS is still wonderful

amigastar

The purple one was fucking magical. Easily my favorite handheld of all time.

mNPeZd8.jpg
Thats why i loved the Gamecube, the color was so nice.
Dragon Quest VII 3D is cool
Yep, i've played through it when it came out. My first real Dragon Quest experience. And the music was nice (and i don't say that often)

Robb

Gold Member
Love the 3DS, so many amazing games!

The 3D and AR gimmicks turned out to be pretty bad though imo. The only game where I remember the 3D-effect actually mattering is Super Mario 3D Land, there are some very clever puzzles in that game. I prefer when Nintendo focus on gimmicks that provide more impact on the actual gameplay rather than just a visual change. Thankfully they kept the dual screen though.

To me it was ‘just’ a better DS, which was perfectly fine.

amigastar

Love the 3DS, so many amazing games!

The 3D and AR gimmicks turned out to be pretty bad though imo. The only game where I remember the 3D-effect actually mattering is Super Mario 3D Land, there are some very clever puzzles in that game. I prefer when Nintendo focus on gimmicks that provide more impact on the actual gameplay rather than just a visual change. Thankfully they kept the dual screen though.

To me it was ‘just’ a better DS, which was perfectly fine.
Super Mario 3D Land was so awesome. Loved the 3D effect on it.
It was a better DS, i agree.

Hudo

The 3DS has both the DQ7 remake and DQ8 port. And you can play DQ9, DQ4 (even if the DS version is not the best), DQ5, DQ6 on it.

It's a pretty good system.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
3DS is still a magic! 3D is perfect for gaming but came bit early - LCD's were slow as hell, GPU's was slow while you need to render image twice. Now it's a different beast! Just imagine how good 3D will look on OLED and/or on a modern GPU? I have Quest 3 and PSVR2 and surprisingly the best thing about it is perfect stereoscopic 3D. Hope Nintendo will give stereoscopic 3D second chance with Switch 2!

Last edited:

SenkiDala

I really dislike it. When it got released I was in Japan so I waited in line (I was first) at the Labi Shinjuku, it was an experience to have but outside of that I really disliked it. First I cannot see 3D... So for me that argument did nothing. Second the first model screens were too small... The battery life was bad, the games were not fitting the device (RE Revelations needing an ugly and ridiculous 2nd stick expansion)... Shoulder buttons were too small and hard to use...

Really disliked it. A lot of games appealed me, I bought a lot of them, but couldn't play more than 2h per game, except the first Fire Emblem on it but I had to push myself to keep playing. Also got the XL and New XL versions but didn't improved anything much.

Oh and about AR games I remember "Spirit Camera" that I got day one as a fan of the Project Zero / Fatal Frame series, and oh God another proof that this console had design flaws : the game is AR, AR !!! So you must play it in the most BRIGHT place possible, under the light bulb, or in the daylight, or AR wouldn't work, but then the mood was destroyed because it is supposed to be a horror game and all the areas you cross in the game are in the DARK but if you need to play it in plain light then the immersion is fucked up, and it was obviously impossible to play it in the dark... So dumb.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Strangely I've been thinking about a LBW / SM3DL playthrough again lately. Got my Majora's Mask N3DSXL out of the desk but not jumped into either yet.

Was cool opening it up and seeing my save files from over 10 years ago right there.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Been trying to play my sons 3DS XL and it’s still to small for my hands.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Not an ergonomics champ by any reference, but the library was excellent.

The Zelda games alone make the 3DS >>>> DS. And the N64 games are actually improved instead of that gimped travesty that was Mario 64 DS.
The two FF rhythm game alone would justify having a 3DS for me, but it had so much more too. Yeah, no Igavanias. Just get the DS games and play them via BC, duh.

Spyxos

Gold Member
VR users are taking full advantage of it, but the scenes are life sized. Planets look insanely massive because that level of 3d can actually interpret scale that nothing else can.

Playing NMS in VR is jaw dropping. Glad the tech is flourishing.
Yes, I know I use Vr myself, but 3D without glasses was something special.

Yes. What I miss most is the stereoscopic 3D. I plan to get it back this year when Acer releases their 27" glasses free 3D monitor. You can even play 3DS games in 3D with the Citra emulator.
how much is that monitor going to cost? I really loved the 3ds 3d, and I still haven't upgraded pc monitors or my tvs to 4k, as I see it as a marginal improvement, compared to going to 1080p form 720 or sd to hd.
Where as 3d was actually different, but wasn't taken advantage of except in a few titles (super mario 3d land, I am looking at you!).

It sucks that so many hated 3d. I liked it, but being I already wear glasses, it sucked for me. Same with VR, I like it but not enthused as I don't want my glasses scratched so wear an old pair. That is too much work. Hence my quest collects dust.
Glasses free would change that.

Mister Wolf

how much is that monitor going to cost? I really loved the 3ds 3d, and I still haven't upgraded pc monitors or my tvs to 4k, as I see it as a marginal improvement, compared to going to 1080p form 720 or sd to hd.
Where as 3d was actually different, but wasn't taken advantage of except in a few titles (super mario 3d land, I am looking at you!).

It sucks that so many hated 3d. I liked it, but being I already wear glasses, it sucked for me. Same with VR, I like it but not enthused as I don't want my glasses scratched so wear an old pair. That is too much work. Hence my quest collects dust.
Glasses free would change that.

$2000. Releasing mid 2024. You gotta pay the cost to be the boss. They have a 15" monitor that they released in 2023:

Costs $1100

Last edited:

Bankai

You're so right! I still collect for the system, because it's really has a UNIQUE gameplay element: the 3D is just amazing (on new 3DS xl especially). Great stuff with Captain Toad, Shantae, Shinobi and all the Mario + Zelda games.

I still gotta check out the Halflife homebrew port!

Dragon Quest VII 3D is cool
Sucks that DQ8 didn't get that on the 3ds. Was ridiculous how some devs ditched "3d" at the end of the lifespan. I think some atlus games did the same. All because there was a lot of people bitching "I just turn it off anyway" so they took that as oh only a small minority like 3d so lets not even bother. Why port an existing game to a console called "3d" and not include 3d.

Cfh123

I loved Devil Survivor Overclocked on the 3DS. Would love a remaking of that on a console.

The DS was worked into the game as the characters used it to summon demons.

Top Bottom