• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else still rocking the PSP in 2024?

FeralEcho

PSP no as I sold it years ago since I'm not much of a traveler snd I just play games on the TV but I still boot up my PS2 every couple months. I do wish Daxter would become available on PSN,probably my most wanted PSP game outside of Resistance Retribution which just got released finally.

consoul

PSP Go is still an excellent pocket-sized unit to play PSP and PS1 games. The depth of both catalogs is massive, and there continue to be new translations for great Japanese exclusives coming out.

Hell yeah, it's a great platform.

stawnkald

Gold Member
I have a PSP-300 with about 40 UMDs in a box that I haven't touched in a while, but I have very fond memories of getting the original PSP on launch day and enjoying the hell out of it for years and years.

The Vita though, it's a constant companion to this day, still buy games on the store for that. I noticed prices are dropping for physical games too, so that's good for adding to my collection. The failure of that thing is just a shame, Sony dropped the ball hard. Would love a new portable from them someday.

PaulBizkit

Yeah, sure! I havent used my original psp2000 since 2015, but I went to japan in 2016 and got myself a MH3rd edition, this one has an extended battery and a concave analog nub. I used this like crazy during 2017 and, one long Switch phase later, I started using it again this year.

m6P2yJC.jpg

5IBGaO0.jpg

(its got a bigger battery and a grip on the other side to make it bulkier and comfier to hold)

WkaAg58.jpg

(the battery when I got it, now at 100% it lasts for over 14hs; I went on vacation to a coastal city last week my wife and daughter, and I used this psp for 4 days without charging it, it's amazing)

YUeL9PH.jpg

(I take in-game screenshots while playing and can set them up as wallpapers)

I've been playing
Valkyria Chronicles 3 mostly - Never got around to finishing it, im on chapter 12
Ridge Racer 2 - Song remixes on spotify got me interested in this franchise, the PSP entries are like a "Greatest Hits" since they have many of the tracks, songs and cars from all the ridge racer games (except the 2 ps3 games that came out after these psp ones)
Grand Knights History - Good old traditional turn-based combat with a basic job system, i love whatever vanillaware makes.
Soul Calibur Broken Destiny - Mostly the character creator and some arcade modes.

Recommended fan-translated games
Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity - It's a slower-paced MH where you also fight many enemies, this version has a LOT more content than PStar2Portable vanilla
Yakuza Black Panther - yakuza games with their own story
FF Agito 13 - This one is waaay more impressive on PSP, the hd version feels empty af, you kind of need to replay these games to get better endings
7th Dragon 2020 - great traditional turn-based combat rpg, very anime-esque

Recommended Plugins
Game Categories - it splits all my game (psp, psx, emulators, dlc) icons into folders (you can manually make them and name them), so there are not a million icons in "Game"
PRX Shot - it turns the keynote button into a Screenshot Button that saves screenshots in png that you can later use as wallpapers. Ridge Racer and MH Portable 3 are great for taking screenshots, well, actually ANY game with movable camera and hideable HUD is great for this.

lachesis

I have psp-2000 (modded) and OG Vita (stock). I rarely touch it though - they are just plugged in and sitting pretty as a collection for now. If I need to play emulation games, these days I just go straight to Steam Deck.

I do love my Vita, and I intend to keep it stock…. but I don’t like my PSP 2000’s screen much. That psp was something my niece was throwing away - so I fixed it up and all…. But the screen is too small and too much ghosting. Wish they’d release an IPS upgrade like 1000 model, but no avail.

Kupfer

Yes and no.
I try to keep them alive as best I can, i.e. I charge them every year, let them run for a while, switch them off again and put them away.
But they could still do with new batteries.
I have 4 or 5 PSPs, I'm not sure at the moment. I like the Go best now, I have one in white and one in black.
But I now play more PSP games on the Steamdeck than on actual hardware, as it's always to hand, charged and has a better screen.

Papa_Wisdom

Yeah, sure! I havent used my original psp2000 since 2015, but I went to japan in 2016 and got myself a MH3rd edition, this one has an extended battery and a concave analog nub. I used this like crazy during 2017 and, one long Switch phase later, I started using it again this year.

m6P2yJC.jpg

5IBGaO0.jpg

(its got a bigger battery and a grip on the other side to make it bulkier and comfier to hold)

WkaAg58.jpg

(the battery when I got it, now at 100% it lasts for over 14hs; I went on vacation to a coastal city last week my wife and daughter, and I used this psp for 4 days without charging it, it's amazing)

YUeL9PH.jpg

(I take in-game screenshots while playing and can set them up as wallpapers)

I've been playing
Valkyria Chronicles 3 mostly - Never got around to finishing it, im on chapter 12
Ridge Racer 2 - Song remixes on spotify got me interested in this franchise, the PSP entries are like a "Greatest Hits" since they have many of the tracks, songs and cars from all the ridge racer games (except the 2 ps3 games that came out after these psp ones)
Grand Knights History - Good old traditional turn-based combat with a basic job system, i love whatever vanillaware makes.
Soul Calibur Broken Destiny - Mostly the character creator and some arcade modes.

Recommended fan-translated games
Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity - It's a slower-paced MH where you also fight many enemies, this version has a LOT more content than PStar2Portable vanilla
Yakuza Black Panther - yakuza games with their own story
FF Agito 13 - This one is waaay more impressive on PSP, the hd version feels empty af, you kind of need to replay these games to get better endings
7th Dragon 2020 - great traditional turn-based combat rpg, very anime-esque

Recommended Plugins
Game Categories - it splits all my game (psp, psx, emulators, dlc) icons into folders (you can manually make them and name them), so there are not a million icons in "Game"
PRX Shot - it turns the keynote button into a Screenshot Button that saves screenshots in png that you can later use as wallpapers. Ridge Racer and MH Portable 3 are great for taking screenshots, well, actually ANY game with movable camera and hideable HUD is great for this.
Your PSP sounds amazing.

I’m def going to have to look into an extended battery and grips, my battery has def lost some of its hold capacity. Do you have a name or model number for it?

The extended grips looks like a good investment as well!

I’m def going to check that plugin out!!

Phantasy star portable is what made me buy a PSP, I love the pso games!

I’m about to start 7th Dragon myself!

Edit will the battery and grips work on a 2000 model?

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

Yes and no.
I try to keep them alive as best I can, i.e. I charge them every year, let them run for a while, switch them off again and put them away.
But they could still do with new batteries.
I have 4 or 5 PSPs, I'm not sure at the moment. I like the Go best now, I have one in white and one in black.
But I now play more PSP games on the Steamdeck than on actual hardware, as it's always to hand, charged and has a better screen.
It was setting up PSP emulation on my nvidia shield tv that inspired me to get the actual handheld charged up and sorted again!

PaulBizkit

Your PSP sounds amazing.

I’m def going to have to look into an extended battery and grips, my battery has def lost some of its hold capacity. Do you have a name or model number for it?

The extended grips looks like a good investment as well!

I’m def going to check that plugin out!!

Phantasy star portable is what made me buy a PSP, I love the pso games!

I’m about to start 7th Dragon myself!

Edit will the battery and grips work on a 2000 model?
If you can find a bigger battery and a grip, GO FOR IT. I still have my psp2000 (the one i used during the psp's heyday: 2008-2013) but i need a new battery.
Yeah, i dont like filling my psp with stuff i wont use, so i installed just those 2 plugins that are used every day.

Post your 7th Dragon party. The first one on DS, the two "2020" ones on PSP and the third one on 3DS all take place in the same universe but are not that connected in terms of plot, each games acknowledges the events of the prior games but it's not mandatory to having played all of them (that's why i went straight to the ones on psp and skipped the first one)

I hope they do, but i couldnt find one so far. Check if there are modded batteries

Top Bottom