• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyoncé is reportedly being sued for $20 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

The estate of the late YouTube personality Messy Mya is suing the superstar for allegedly sampling his voice on 'Formation' without permission.
C4GX7bcWQAAjwH4.jpg

except

C4JfuzoXAAI-yFJ.jpg

and

Plus she took the sample from a Youtube vlog, which is apparently well within the YouTube terms and conditions that no one ever reads for anything. So...

http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/07/beyonce-sued-sample-messy-mya-formation/

The videos in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDZJPJV__bQ
https://youtu.be/daKqgdcypTE?t=16s (mobile skip to 16s)
https://youtu.be/zsYOnx2xJuY?t=40s (mobile skip to 40s)

commedieu

Banned
I'm more upset at the lack of creativity.

None of these thefts are ever shit a talented person couldn't come up with or alternate... It's just lazy theft.

hey i remember the last time she was accused of theft over this very same video people jumped on it and it turned out that she did indeed license the content used.

oh wait, that was almost exactly a year ago.

http://ew.com/article/2016/02/06/beyonce-formation-music-video-that-beat/

But in a statement to EW, Beyoncé's rep says, ”The documentary footage was used with permission and licensed from the owner of the footage. They were given proper compensation. The footage was provided to us by the filmmaker's production company. The filmmaker is listed in the credits for additional photography direction. We are thankful that they granted us permission ."

maybe it's true this time...

Majmun

It's not even about music...

The estate is just money hungry. She seems to have used those lines with permission.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
...its some voice samples from a vlog

yall dont even click links do you

lmfao the first three posts are just...sad
Sorry, shouldn't have just said music. She steals music video concepts, voice samples, song writing credits, music and ideas.

Zaph

Wouldn't this be the producer's fault and not Bey?

Doesn't matter who was at fault not getting the sample cleared, you sue the person who owns the infringing work - so that's Beyonce's label and Sony/Columbia. The producer will probably be named on the lawsuit too.

daffy

Banned
Formation was such a good video. So beautiful. So many good, varied shots. So perfectly choreographed. We'll never get another one like it. it couldve been our generation's thriller if the formation dance was as easy as the zombie dance

Cool, now I know where those samples are from and now I know who Messy is (not really but more than I knew before this).

Sorry, shouldn't have just said music. She steals music video concepts, voice samples, song writing credits, music and ideas.

She used a voice sample in this case from a youtube video. His estate was already reportedly compensated. What more was she supposed to do? Kanye uses voice samples sometimes, Biggie Smalls used voice samples, as well as a shit ton of artists i cant think of off the top of my head right now

dave is ok

aztek is ok
She used a voice sample in this case from a youtube video. His estate was already reportedly compensated. What more was she supposed to do? Kanye uses voice samples sometimes, Biggie Smalls used voice samples, as well as a shit ton of artists i cant think of off the top of my head right now
Regardless of whether the sample was cleared I think this lawsuit is ridiculous. No judge will ever reward the estate with 20 million for a voice sample.

But I think since Beyonce has been sued at least half a dozen times for this type of thing, not to mention all the times she wasn't sued by a songwriter has claimed she took credit from them (Ne-Yo, Linda Perry, etc.) a pretty clear pattern has been established.

sampling as a part of music has existed for literally decades and decades

what the fuck

have some of you ever listened to music?

Maybe I'm wrong about my take. If I am, oops. Yeah I listen to music all the time. If in fact she didn't secure proper rights or whatever, she should have done that, or had done something original. I don't even know why I commented in this thread to be honest, I don't really follow Beyonce's music. *backs out of thread*

Galang

Banned
Lol. Even IF it wasn't cleared they really want 20 million for two lines in a song that wasn't even close to being a major hit? Okay. They would be lucky to get more than $50,000 for this

That is because it is the nine hundredth time she has stolen music.

I thought it was pretty well known that she has no music writing talent herself.

What does this have to do with a sample? And are we really doing this "writing" credits argument as if that makes every single artist credible?

20 million for a voice sample lol. that youtuber would've probably freaked out if he knew and they got paid too?
non-story.

Or, you know . . . write something original and have someone say that

this was a tribute of sorts to a non-conventional person, someone who was proud of what he was.

Before his death, the New Orleans rapper and comedian was know for his "fluorescent hair shades and caustic barbs." His popular YouTube channel hosted clips of him savagely, and often pretty funnily, joking about people who lived in his neighborhood and the violence that permeated the area.

he got shot and killed back in 2010.
his estate got compensated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom