• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards - Overwatch wins Game of the Year

https://www.interactive.org/awards/20th_annual_dice_awards_results.asp

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/overwatch-wins-dice-game-of-the-year-all-winners-r/1100-6448157/

Game of the Year

Battlefield 1
Inside
Overwatch
Pokemon Go
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction

1979 Revolution: Black Friday
Battlefield 1
Inside
The Last Guardian

Outstanding Achievement in Game Design

I Expect You to Die
Inside
Overwatch
Owlboy

Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay

Battlefield 1
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
Overwatch
Titanfall 2
The Division

Handheld Game of the Year

Dragon Quest Builders
Fire Emblem Fates
Kirby: Planet Robobot
Pokemon Sun and Moon
Severed

Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year

The Banner Saga 2
Deus Ex Go
Fire Emblem Fates
Civilization VI
XCOM 2

Sports Game of the Year

FIFA 17
Madden NFL 17
MLB The Show 16
NBA 2K17
Steep

RPG/Massively Multiplayer Game of the Year

Dark Souls III
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Hyper Light Drifter
The Division
World of Warcraft: Legion

Racing Game of the Year

Forza Horizon 3
Driveclub VR

Fighting Game of the Year

EA Sports UFC 2
Guilty Gear Xrd - Revelator
Killer Instinct Season 3
Pokken Tournament
Street Fighter V

Family Game of the Year

Dragon Quest Builders
Lego Star Wars The Force Awakens
Ratchet & Clank
Rock Band Rivals
Super Mario Maker 3DS

Immersive Reality Game of the Year

SUPERHOT VR
Eagle Flight
I Expect You To Die
The Lab
Job Simulator

Outstanding Technical Achievement

Battlefield 1
No Man's Sky
Overwatch
Titanfall 2

Outstanding Achievement in Story

Firewatch
Inside
Oxenfree
That Dragon, Cancer

Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design

Battlefield 1
Inside
The Last Guardian
Quantum Break

Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition

Doom
Abzu
Battlefield 1
The Last Guardian
Titanfall 2

Outstanding Achievement in Character

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - Reyes
Firewatch - Delilah
Firewatch - Henry
The Last Guardian - Trico
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Nathan Drake

Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction

Battlefield 1
Firewatch
Inside
The Last Guardian

Outstanding Achievement in Animation

Inside
The Last Guardian
Overwatch
Street Fighter V

D.I.C.E. Sprite Award

1979 Revolution: Black Friday
Firewatch
Inside
Superhot
That Dragon, Cancer

Adventure Game of the Year

Firewatch
Inside
King's Quest: The Complete Collection
The Last Guardian

Action Game of the Year

Battlefield 1
Doom
Gears of War 4
Overwatch
Titanfall 2

Mobile Game of the Year

Clash Royale
Crashlands
Gardenscapes - New Acres
Pokemon Go
Reigns

Immersive Reality Technical Achievement

Eagle Flight
I Expect You To Die
Job Simulator
Tilt Brush
SUPERHOT VR

Majine

Banned

FelipeMGM

Outstanding Achievement in Character

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - Reyes
Firewatch - Delilah
Firewatch - Henry
The Last Guardian - Trico
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Nathan Drake

the recognition it deserves

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Well deserved.

It is my GOTY 2016 after all :)

Feel like Battlefield 1 got robbed

Even though I love Ratchet and Clank, sounds silly that a single player game won in the family category.

I would imagine a "family" category would be more than one person, "something the whole family can enjoy"

Then again that's just my interpretation.

DrArchon

And Doom wins best music, just as God intended.

Also, why are there two awards that are VR only? And why did two different games win them?

Lovely recognition for TLG in the character award.
Trico was a triumph in AI video game realistic behaviour.

Congrats to Naughty Dog too for picking up story and action adventure wins, well deserved!

I'm gonna guess you didn't play it.

In any case it's not like video games in general have interesting stories. UC4 is one of the rare instances to the contrary.

Best story in any game this gen so far.

Yeah...no. Not only is UC4's story average at the very best it's also likely the worst in the series. I've made my thoughts know about the game before so I'll just summarize it here. UC4's story is at complete odds with the tone and genre of the series. What is supposed to be a fun, light-hearted action/adventure story in the vein of Indiana Jones tries to become some slow serious emotional story. No, just no. That worked for TLOU because it was appropriate for that genre, it does not work for the UC series. None of the characters in the series are particularly deep so when you slow everything down to focus on them you only reveal how shallow and thin these characters are.

Indiana Jones isn't The Road and Uncharted ain't The Last of Us.

Also, the ending is completely unearned and cowardly.
At the very least Sam should have died, but no everyone gets a happy ending that they in no way deserved.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah...no. Not only is UC4's story average at the very best it's also likely the worst in the series. I've made my thoughts know about the game before so I'll just summarize it here. UC4's story is at complete odds with the tone and genre of the series. What is supposed to be a fun, light-hearted action/adventure story in the vein of Indiana Jones tries to become some slow serious emotional story. No, just no. That worked for TLOU because it was appropriate for that genre, it does not work for the UC series. None of the characters in the series are particularly deep so when you slow everything down to focus on them you only reveal how shallow and thin these characters are.

At the very least Sam should have died, but no everyone gets a happy ending that they in no way deserved.
It is really that great story and your comment just explained you didn't like the story... that is fine.

Feel like Battlefield 1 got robbed

Even though I love Ratchet and Clank, sounds silly that a single player game won in the family category.

I would imagine a "family" category would be more than one person, "something the whole family can enjoy"

Then again that's just my interpretation.

Has nothing to do with being multiplayer and everything to do with "everyone can play this". I would have a lot more ease sitting on the couch next to my nephews or potential future son/daughter playing this than Dark Souls 3 or Uncharted.

Have to disagree here. All the other UC games, to me, have been supernatural nonsense by the time everything is said and done.

UC4 tells a much more personal story that's about the moment to moment relationships between these characters. The Nate and Elena arc through the game is absolutely fantastic and is supported by excellent detail and animation.

I think the relationship between Nate and Sam is also well explored. I don't entirely disagree with your assessment of how it wraps up, but on the whole, I feel like it is a very well told story that's way more engaging than any "ancient ruins, old mystic supernatural empowered military soldier" stuff from past games.

E: Oh and I almost forgot. I love Overwatch. A lot. I've got >280 hrs into it at this point and it's still tons of fun. Haven't felt that way about a mp shooter since maybe TF2 in the original Orange Box collection on 360. That one is also very well deserved.

FelipeMGM

this and your spoiler tag are a lil bit contraditory but you did gave fine reasons why you didnt like it...

A lot of people did though, including the voters of DICE

"I know what a series is supposed to be better than the developer."

Glad that Pokemon S&M got recognition

You got pretty terrible taste if you think Pokemon doesn't deserve it
Yeah let me apologize for another regressive entry in one of the most regressive series out there, along with apologizing for a beginning that lets you play the game less than any other entry (including the one that came out over two decades ago).

Nah fam, my taste is fine, I've loved Pokemon too long to apologize for the direction it's going in.

Why is overwatch nominated for animation and technical achievement?

As if its even in the same league as other games in those areas

shandy706

Another one of those years where I don't like the winning game at all, haha.

Games I did enjoy that won something;

Forza Horizon 3
Uncharted 4
Doom
Ratchet & Clank

Obviously I find the winner of this category complete BS....

Action Game of the Year

Battlefield 1
Doom
Gears of War 4
Overwatch
Titanfall 2

I'd rather play Doom, GoW4, and Titanfall 2 multiple times in a row each than play OW. Titanfall 2 was legit.

antibolo

Banned

TLOU definitely has a story that is superior to every Uncharted ever, but it's not a 2016 game so it's a moot point.

Top Bottom