• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Awards 2023: Winners Announced

Draugoth

Gold Member
and-the-winners-are-v0-85z3t1yxg2ac1.png
Q​

The Steam Awards 2023 voting has concluded, revealing the list of winners. The Steam community, voting across 11 categories, has selected the best games of the year, emphasizing immersive gameplay, stunning visuals, and intriguing storytelling. In line with other prestigious award shows like the Golden Joystick Awards and Game of the Year Awards, Baldur's Gate 3 emerges as the major winner of the year. Explore the diverse titles celebrated at the Steam Awards, establishing itself as one of the most prestigious gaming events of the year.

Steam Awards 2023 Winners
Steam

Game of the Year Award

• Winner: Baldur's Gate 3
  • EA Sports FC 24
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Lethal Company
  • Resident Evil 4

VR Game of the Year Award

• I Expect You to Die 3
  • Winner: Labyrinthine
  • EA Sports F1 2023
  • Gorilla Tag
  • Ghosts of Tabor

Labor of Love Award

• Dota 2
  • Rust
  • Apex Legends
  • Winner: Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Deep Rock Galactic

Best Game on Steam Deck Award

• Diablo 4
  • Winner: Hogwarts Legacy
  • Brotato
  • Dredge
  • The Outlast Trials

Better With Friends Award

• Sunkenland
  • Party Animals
  • Sons of the Forest
  • Winner: Lethal Company
  • Warhammer 40,000: Darktide

Outstanding Visual Style Award

• Inward
  • High on Life
  • Cocoon
  • Darkest Dungeon 2
  • Atomic Heart

Most Innovative Gameplay Award

• Shadow of Doubt
  • Contraband Police
  • Your Only Move is Hustle
  • Remnant 2
  • Winner: Starfield

Best Game You Suck At Award

• Winner: Sifu
  • EA Sports FC 24
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Lords of the Fallen
  • Overwatch 2

Best Soundtrack Award

• Pizza Tower
  • Persona 5 Tactica
  • Hi-Fi Rush
  • Winner: The Last of Us Part
  • Chants of Sennaar

Outstanding Story-Rich Game Award

• Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
  • Love Is All Around
  • Lies of P
  • Winner: Baldur's Gate 3
  • Resident Evil 4

Sit Back and Relax Award

• Winner: Dave the Diver
  • Train Sim World 4
  • Potion Craft
  • Cities Skylines 2
  • Coral Island

Summary of Winenrs in the Steam Awards:

CategoryWinner
Game of the Year AwardBaldur's Gate 3
VR Game of the Year AwardLabyrinthine
Labor of Love AwardRed Dead Redemption 2
Best Game on Steam Deck AwardHogwarts Legacy
Better With Friends AwardLethal Company
Outstanding Visual Style AwardAtomic Heart
Most Inovative Gameplay AwardStarfield
Best Game You Suck At AwardSIFU
Best Soundtrack AwardThe Last of Us
Outstanding Story-Rich Game AwardBaldur's Gate 3
Sit Back and Relax AwardDave the Diver

graywolf323

Starfield winning Innovative Gameplay is ridiculous but somehow not as bad as how the bleep did RDR2 get Labor of Love when I believe it didn’t even have an update in 2023? 🤨

edit: quoting my post from another thread regarding Starfield

how it got nominated in the first place is what for the life of me I don’t understand

Starfield winning doesn’t surprise me because it’s the most well-known game listed so people who were voting just to get credit for voting in every category most likely voted for it off name recognition alone

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
What the fuck is Labyrinthine and how did it win VR game of the year?

Labor of Love: Red Dead Redemption 2... whyyyy?? This is for games like Terraria, where the devs are supporting their games for years with massive amounts of (free) content. Rockstar doesn't give a shit about their costumers.

jesus christ, they need to revamp the whole award system.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Feels bad for Resident Evil 4 Remake, a truly excellent remake but it cannot win since the categories for Steam are laughable.

Baldur's Gate 3 deserves the wins.

Starfield most innovative gameplay? really? i mean i have yet to play it, but i dont recall anything innovative about it to be honest, maybe someone can shed a light on this.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Some of those wins are truly wtf, but Starfield being most innovative in terms of gameplay is clearly a joke win.
Yeah the Steam reviews voting down Starfield are the paragon of accuracy and fairness and the gold standard for ratings. The thread on it must be updated weekly just so we can all stay up to date on the feelings of the steam community, the wisest and most thoughtful users in all of gaming.

Steam awards praising Starfield? Joke shit obviously.

graywolf323

Yeah the Steam reviews voting down Starfield are the paragon of accuracy and fairness and the gold standard for ratings. The thread on it must be updated weekly just so we can all stay up to date on the feelings of the steam community, the wisest and most thoughtful users in all of gaming.

Steam awards praising Starfield? Joke shit obviously.
c’mon man, you know these awards are a joke and have been for years, try to take off your green glasses and think about this objectively

RDR2 winning Labor of Love is proof of that… and what exactly would you say is so innovative about Starfield’s gameplay that it deserved to win?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
What’s innovative about Starfield please?
90% of the nominees are complete trash, I only voted for the GOTY one, since it was the least offensive.
For starfield I guess one could argue that the space ship builder is a pretty innovative aspect of the game.
There's nothing particularly innovative about remnant 2 either or the other nominees, except for that 2d turn based fighter, but I doubt enough people played it to also actually vote for it.

RhyDin

Hopefully this pushes Valve to do something different next year. Remember when people used to cheese the Steam ARGs using scripts until Valve did away with them?

Maybe future awards will have nominations vetted internally before being eligible. It's bananas that Valve themselves have the database of when games were updated and seemingly didn't factor that into Labor of Love -- although RDR2 has it's own launcher, I guess it would have slipped through the cracks if there had been an automated eligibility checker?

simpatico

What in the ever loving fuck was innovative about Starfield's gameplay?

What in tarnation was even above average about the TLOU soundtrack?

Steam bro's, you're letting us all down.

Valedix

Man lol Hogwarts Legacy winning best steam deck game is hilarious.

Last I heard it runs poorly on the deck.

tenor.gif

The only thing more juicy than the winners are all the reactions to them. 2024 really might be the year I go blissfully insane.

Ribi

I'll continue to say this, atomic heart not even being nominated for art direction at the game awards was straight bullshit. Glad it won here

Man lol Hogwarts Legacy winning best steam deck game is hilarious.

Last I heard it runs poorly on the deck.
Have you seen the Switch version? HL running at all on the Deck is a miracle and you can actually get it to consistently be at 30 fps while looking far better than the Switch version

Valedix

Have you seen the Switch version? HL running at all on the Deck is a miracle and you can actually get it to consistently be at 30 fps while looking far better than the Switch version
Yeah the switch version is a lot worse. My point being was there was a lot of better other steam deck games that didn't get nominated, like Hades or Vampire Survivors.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
What the fuck is Labyrinthine and how did it win VR game of the year?

Labor of Love: Red Dead Redemption 2... whyyyy?? This is for games like Terraria, where the devs are supporting their games for years with massive amounts of (free) content. Rockstar doesn't give a shit about their costumers.

jesus christ, they need to revamp the whole award system.
Trolls vote in droves.

NEbeast

Steam users trolling Bethesda after Todd told them to get better PCs and replying to negative reviews telling them they're wrong. There is no way Bethesda falls for this, right?
Penguin Reverse GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Top Bottom